Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Namath's best game

I will say I have never seen Namath play outside of some historical film here and there. I think it's crazy how much people like to come back and hate on him. His numbers were never all that great but given the league at the time he was a great playaaaa (in the words of Undead Al, RIP). Media and other fans just look for any opportunity to denigrate the Jets, this would be another time. And to them, I rarely say this, but GFY and GTFO.

Veteran
    6 td passes, 4 for over 65 yards as I recall

15 completions for 496 yards. In todays era you would have to complete 200 passes to get to 496. Years ago Joe said he could complete 70% of his passes if he threw the short stuff they throw now. Also had his jaw broken in a game in Oakland by Ben Davidson. Of course he kept playing.

Veteran
    I'll admit I get frustrated with ole Joe Willie from time to time when he shoots of at the mouth but even then he is usually partially right. But his playin' I always have to remind myself that his wr were being held, bumped, and molested out there and then I think his #'s are pretty good.
    That game he averaged 33yds a completion, wow.
    #1 QB duel on the list was Ken O'Brien vs Dan Marino sept. 21 ,1986.
    That was ONE OF Wesley Walkers greatest days. (My all time fav)

Veteran
    [QUOTE=FF2;4479188]If by pussification you mean takes advantage of the current rules to throw for a gazillion yards, I agree.

Namath was the greatest QB of his time, Brady the greatest of his.[/QUOTE]A fair assessment. As to Brady getting killed, remember he and all QB's of this era are stronger, faster and better conditioned as well. The linemen are 30-50lbs heavier now. He would probably fair pretty well way back when.

[QUOTE=RazorJet;4479924]#1 QB duel on the list was Ken O'Brien vs Dan Marino sept. 21 ,1986.
    [/QUOTE]

The one day in history where the Jets didn't look like absolute fools for selecting O'Brien over Marino. What a great game.

[QUOTE=Guitarjet;4480365]A fair assessment. As to Brady getting killed, remember he and all QB's of this era are stronger, faster and better conditioned as well. The linemen are 30-50lbs heavier now. He would probably fair pretty well way back when.[/QUOTE]

The game has changed so must to the point where the positions have changed so much. Petty much impossible to compare with the old days.

I'll say one thing, I would NOT have wanted to be a receiver back then compared to now.