Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stop Concussions - Ban Helmets

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Johnny Rico;4479347]They didn't always wear the helmets they wore today. The helmets have evolved over the course of history to provide more protection. However, with this added protection, players realized they could start using it as a weapon, as a tool to tackle. They could pad the outside of the helmets as well, but that would just encourage further helmet to helmet contacts. But the idea that banning helmets equals flag football is a fallacy.

Just wrap up. No more leading with the head. Not with the freakish size and speed of athletes today. The athletes' health should be considered No. 1 priority.[/QUOTE]

Yes and football was no where near as popular then. No it wouldn't be flag football, but it would be completely different. The point is moot. Go ahead and try getting rid of helmets, and see the outcry from mothers everywhere. Good luck explaining to them how it's safer.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NY's stepchild;4479350]Yes and football was no where near as popular then. No it wouldn't be flag football, but it would be completely different. The point is moot. Go ahead and try getting rid of helmets, and see the outcry from mothers everywhere. [B]Good luck explaining to them how it's safer.[/[/B]QUOTE]

That is the problem with our country. Instead of looking at the evidence, we look at what we "think" makes people safer. For years, the same idiots refused to wear seatbelts thinking it would be safer to get thrown from vehicles in a crash.

I started this post, but don't believe we should completely eliminate the helmet. I do; however, think that the "improvements" in helmets have actually led to more concussions as players learned to use them as a weapon.

My proposals solution:
    1) Complex facemasks and eye shields would be banned - Think Billy Kilmer. At most, people could wear the Roger Staubach "two bar" or the "Two Bar" with a "T" attachment; and
    2) Helmets would have a "softer" exterior to protect victims of tackles.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Johnny Rico;4479347]They didn't always wear the helmets they wore today. The helmets have evolved over the course of history to provide more protection. However, with this added protection, players realized they could start using it as a weapon, as a tool to tackle. They could pad the outside of the helmets as well, but that would just encourage further helmet to helmet contacts. But the idea that banning helmets equals flag football is a fallacy.

[B]Just wrap up. No more leading with the head.[/B] Not with the freakish size and speed of athletes today. The athletes' health should be considered No. 1 priority.[/QUOTE]

They have been trying to implement this and regulate this for years now. There are already rules in effect for this exact thing. The players do not adhere to them. Its the very players that the rules are trying to protect, that are not following the rules. You can say all you want to "just wrap up", but it falls on the players on the field to actually do it. To this point the players still feel invincible and will continue to play the way do.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    When I started playing football (over 50 years ago) we were taught to lead with the helmet, both on a block and a tackle. Stick the guy for maximum effect.
    This continued through college. I had a concussion each year in college. In those days (stupidly) it was "We're not paying you to sit. Get on the field".
    Leading with your helmet on a tackle or a head shot to a player using any part of your body must be banned. A 15 yard penalty. Second offfense in a game - out for the game. Repeated offenses in subsequent games - gone for the season. This should be a rule at EVERY level of football.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=palmetto defender;4479369]When I started playing football (over 50 years ago) we were taught to lead with the helmet, both on a block and a tackle. Stick the guy for maximum effect.
    This continued through college. I had a concussion each year in college. In those days (stupidly) it was "We're not paying you to sit. Get on the field".
    Leading with your helmet on a tackle or a head shot to a player using any part of your body must be banned. A 15 yard penalty. Second offfense in a game - out for the game. Repeated offenses in subsequent games - gone for the season. [B] This should be a rule at EVERY level of football.[/B][/QUOTE]

True. The sad part is that its never called a penalty at the youth levels. Last season when my son played(6th grade), there were kids tackling and blocking with their head down on so many occasions and it was never a penalty. It really falls on the coaches to identify this. The good ones teach proper technique and watch for this during the game. Its always the teams with the coaches that yell at the refs about every call, yell at the kids for making mistakes that have players that are using poor technique.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=palmetto defender;4479369]When I started playing football (over 50 years ago) we were taught to lead with the helmet, both on a block and a tackle. Stick the guy for maximum effect.
    Leading with your helmet on a tackle or a head shot to a player using any part of your body must be banned. A 15 yard penalty. Second offfense in a game - out for the game. Repeated offenses in subsequent games - gone for the season. This should be a rule at EVERY level of football.[/QUOTE]

Thirty years ago, we were taught "across the bow" tackling to make sure we got our head in front of the runner so we could deliver a blow with our shoulder and helmet. I hated the drill because the runners helment often hit me in the side of my helmet which was not fun.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Digetydog;4479378]Thirty years ago, we were taught "across the bow" tackling to make sure we got our head in front of the runner so we could deliver a blow with our shoulder and helmet. I hated the drill because the runners helment often hit me in the side of my helmet which was not fun.[/QUOTE]

There are a lot of stupid parents masquerading as youth football coaches that do not get it - STILL. I coached youth over 20 years ago and tried to instill safety. Other level coaches could noy care less. Some were the usual 3rd stringer in HS.
    I was a tough player amd I admit a cheap shot artist sometimes. When I started you could still tackle with the facemask and leg whip with your metal cleats. Even at the end of my career you could still head slap or take a forearm shot under a player's facemask or crackback clip. There have been some improvements but leading with the helmet MUST end.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Just wrap up. No more leading with the head. Not with the freakish size and speed of athletes today. The athletes' health should be considered No. 1 priority.[/QUOTE]

clearly flag football is a bit of an exaggeration. but it the game would be totally different if there were NO helmets. How do you expect someone to go full speed, over the middle, into a pile...with no helmet?? They can't. If they did go full speed with no helmets people would f'n die. One wrong move, one bad "wrap up" and their head is in someones chest by accident.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Year Long (16 game) Suspension for any tackle that involves "leading with the helmet" AND any Offensive player (WR/RB/QB) who leads INTO a tackle with their Helmet.

Then see what happens.

All of this is moot. The Courts and the Govt. will eventually decide, like they do with every other workplace, what standards must exist.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    What the hell do you guys care in the end?

The PLAYERS know the risks, the PLAYERS accept the risk.

We all just sit and watch. You're not the one getting the concussion. Quit whining. That's why they are getting paid this kind of money. Why don't we outlaw boxing/mma/ufc/etc... while we're at it. Considering the only objective in the aforementioned is to concuss the opponent.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    really???

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    If they want to get rid of concussions why don't they :
    1. Make Everyone wear mouth pieces
    2. Make everyone wear the best helmets available

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southside;4479587]What the hell do you guys care in the end?

We all just sit and watch. You're not the one getting the concussion. Quit whining. That's why they are getting paid this kind of money. Why don't we outlaw boxing/mma/ufc/etc... while we're at it. Considering the only objective in the aforementioned is to concuss the opponent.[/QUOTE]

+1

These guys get paid millions of dollars a year to play a game and lay gorgeous women in multiple cities. Big risk/big reward. They're free men doing what they want to do. They can reduce their risk or not however they see fit. Just watch and enjoy. That's what they're there for. And if the dangers really offend or upset you, stop giving them your money and your time.

Meanwhile, many of the same people making a fuss over this are the same ones who are making MMA the fastest growing sport in the country.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Until it happens to one of your friends or relatives, you can coast along with that carefree attitude.
    As was pointed out in previous posts the reckless play at the top filters down to all levels of the sport. When young impressionable kids /even college players try to emulate their idols reckless play and aspire to their tempting lifestyle and suffer injuries and maiming in the process - this is part of the whole problem. Not something occuring in isolation.
    Glossing over the salient underlying issues and making disdainful sweeping statements is just a cop out. Some of these guys end up broke, destitute and crippled. I feel sorry for their families who are left with the shell.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Darth Vader;4479201]totally different game[B], not as much repetitive explosive violence, from all angles
    [/B]
    taking away helmets would be a disaster. they should take away rigid facemasks tho and replace the whole facemask-helmet apparatus with something truly revolutionary and space age[/QUOTE]

dont tell a 1 or 3 man that... :D

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why not just ban football?

Or better yet, why not just ban any activity that could potentially involve any person getting hurt? That way the armies of good-for-nothing personal injury litigators can't make any more money shaking down everybody.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;4479706]+1

These guys get paid millions of dollars a year to play a game and lay gorgeous women in multiple cities. Big risk/big reward. They're free men doing what they want to do. They can reduce their risk or not however they see fit. Just watch and enjoy. That's what they're there for. And if the dangers really offend or upset you, stop giving them your money and your time.

Meanwhile, many of the same people making a fuss over this are the same ones who are making MMA the fastest growing sport in the country.[/QUOTE]

So....we can discuss everything from what play was called, who should be drafted, what coach should be fired, what Rex should have said at a press conference, what a player does in the off season, what someone was wearing, but we can't discuss what should happen as far as the safety of the game, both on a professional and recreational level?

Even if you want to take that attitude, its still a relevant topic as, as someone suggested, if the league doesn't take appropriate action in the not so distant future, the government may well step in. I'm guessing, as a fan, you would rather not have the subcommittee on contact sports deciding how the game should be played.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crasherino;4480164]So....we can discuss everything from what play was called, who should be drafted, what coach should be fired, what Rex should have said at a press conference, what a player does in the off season, what someone was wearing, but we can't discuss what should happen as far as the safety of the game, both on a professional and recreational level?

Even if you want to take that attitude, its still a relevant topic as, as someone suggested, if the league doesn't take appropriate action in the not so distant future, the government may well step in. I'm guessing, as a fan, you would rather not have the subcommittee on contact sports deciding how the game should be played.[/QUOTE]

Ding ding ding.. thats what the bike short wearing, chaw packing, IROC driving crowd refuses to understand. The cries about the game being ruined because of the enforcement action of the past two years is so silly... it was largely fueled by terrible, egregious and disingenuous reporting by ESPN and rants from jokers like "Stink" who had no understanding of the specifics of the actual rules the NFL was looking to enforce.

Do we really want congress sniffing around and the govt setting the tone for the league? I won't even get back into the fact that the enforcement action in 2004 (thanks to Polian) has had a much, much larger impact on how the game is played Sundays.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southside;4479587]What the hell do you guys care in the end?

We all just sit and watch. You're not the one getting the concussion. Quit whining. That's why they are getting paid this kind of money. Why don't we outlaw boxing/mma/ufc/etc... while we're at it. Considering the only objective in the aforementioned is to concuss the opponent.[/QUOTE]

So the 12 year old playing ball gets well paid?
    How about the 16 year old HS junior?
    The college player? If he's big time he's got a scholarship. Still, worth it? How about the walk on? He's getting a lot of money?

"I'm not the one". Famous American current saying. 'Hey, I'm not the soldier getting shot at". 'Hey.I'm not old. They don't need special health care". " Hey, I don't live in Texas. Why patrol the border".

It's not just the NFL. But then why not bring back tackling with the facemask, crack back clips, leg whips, clothesline tackles,head slaps and a variety of outlawed plays?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;4479706]+1

Meanwhile, many of the same people making a fuss over this are the same ones who are making MMA the fastest growing sport in the country.[/QUOTE]

We are not talking about professionals only. There is another post about starting 7 year olds in football playing in pads. Do those kids really "understand" anything like concussions?

As for the UFC and MMA, they have rules (believe it or not) that are designed to protect the fighters. In early UFC events, it was legal to kick the opponent in junk (Check out the YouTube picks of the UFC 5 involving Andy Anderson - he took about 5 deliberate kicks). Indeed, MMA only started to grow out of the fringes when they adobted reasonable rules and got the state boxing commissions involved to regulate it.

Bottom line - it is possible to have good football while having reasonable rules to protect players from brain damage.