Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: link- Rex to be more hands on

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FijiJet;4480007]I thought it was just me that made that observation, but it's hard to have a reasonable conversation/discussion on threads when an isolated malcontent brings his personal agenda and derails everything. Most of what he posts are mere conjecture, typical distortions and exaggeration. But because he posts so frequently he looks at his posts as immutable truth. Poor guy. He should stick to discussing his watch collection and other baubles, like Smeagol.[/QUOTE]

This is a guy who took pride in predicting losses every week, just to have the Jets win, then give reasons why they'd lose the next week.

Sad thing is, there's no "disproving" him. Maybe we do implode this year. Maybe everything he says comes to fruition. But it won't be because he's Nostradumbus -- it'll be because anything is possible in any given season.

But to take his stance is not only to say we'll stink this season, but also that we wouldn't if we had a different HC. In his world, Sparano will take over and somehow the offense AND defense will get bettter, even though he obviously didn't get the job done as OC, and Rex is a defensive guru . . .:rolleyes:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetgreen13;4479902]nah, the annual "what's chad doing this offseason to improve arm strength" articles quicky became bad comedy.. IMO, reading about rex growing as HC is news worthy..[/QUOTE]

The truth is Rex is growing as a HC it is evident to anyone paying attention. I am am pleased by what I see from Rex. IMO he was already a fantastic DC and now he is becoming a very good HC.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Charlie Brown;4480032]The truth is Rex is growing as a HC it is evident to anyone paying attention. I am am pleased by what I see from Rex. IMO he was already a fantastic DC and now he is becoming a very good HC.[/QUOTE]

Examples. Now.

SAR I

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4480044]Examples. Now.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

1) Rex admitted he didn't do things right last season and was wrong on many things; 2) He talked to players in the offseason (like Revis) and said he learned about some things he needed to change. And now is making an effort to make those changes, such as get involved more with all aspects of the team and be more hands on; 3) Rex hired coaches in the offseason (Dunbar, Sparano and Gugs) who are more his style. Smashmouth running with Sparano and Gugs and a great DL coach in Dunbar. No more Schottenheimer, who was not a ground and pound fan, and Carrier, who is a defensive back coaching the DL; 4) No Super Bowl guarantees. Rex has said he won't do it and he hasn't.

There are a few right off the top of my head. Those are all examples of someone who saw the error in his ways and is making a conscience effort to remedy them. That is growing. Simple as that.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BamaJets;4480051]1) Rex admitted he didn't do things right last season and was wrong on many things; 2) He talked to players in the offseason (like Revis) and said he learned about some things he needed to change. And now is making an effort to make those changes, such as get involved more with all aspects of the team and be more hands on; 3) Rex hired coaches in the offseason (Dunbar, Sparano and Gugs) who are more his style. Smashmouth running with Sparano and Gugs and a great DL coach in Dunbar. No more Schottenheimer, who was not a ground and pound fan, and Carrier, who is a defensive back coaching the DL; 4) No Super Bowl guarantees. Rex has said he won't do it and he hasn't.

There are a few right off the top of my head. Those are all examples of someone who saw the error in his ways and is making a conscience effort to remedy them. That is growing. Simple as that.[/QUOTE]

To me, that's the expected "coach-in-trouble offseason rhetoric". It's boilerplate, right out of the Bruce Coslet playbook. I like the OC move of course, but if that was Rex's decision he waited a year too long and if it was Mike's decision then Rex gets no credit for it.

I'm talking about on-field improvements we saw last year over his rookie and sophmore years. Things like:

Record vs. winning teams.
    Getting players to exceed expectations.
    Winning games we were expected to lose.
    Closing out games with 4th quarter leads.
    Sacks.
    Pressures.
    First downs.
    Third down conversions.
    Interceptions for/against.
    Completion percentage.
    Clock management.
    Timeout usage.
    Locker room unity.
    Grooming rookies to be real contributors.
    And on and on...

Need examples of those on-field areas in which Rex Ryan grew as a head coach vs. his rookie and sophomore campaigns. Something that'll make us think we've got the next Bill Walsh on the sidelines, not Buddy Ryan.

SAR I

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    If he has a sandwich in one hand and his wife's foot in another hand, how hands on can he be this season?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4480052]To me, that's the expected "coach-in-trouble offseason rhetoric". It's boilerplate, right out of the Bruce Coslet playbook. I like the OC move of course, but if that was Rex's decision he waited a year too long and if it was Mike's decision then Rex gets no credit for it.

I'm talking about on-field improvements we saw last year over his rookie and sophmore years. Things like:

Record vs. winning teams.
    Getting players to exceed expectations.
    Winning games we were expected to lose.
    Closing out games with 4th quarter leads.
    Sacks.
    Pressures.
    First downs.
    Third down conversions.
    Interceptions for/against.
    Completion percentage.
    Clock management.
    Timeout usage.
    Locker room unity.
    Grooming rookies to be real contributors.
    And on and on...

Need examples of those on-field areas in which Rex Ryan grew as a head coach vs. his rookie and sophomore campaigns. Something that'll make us think we've got the next Bill Walsh on the sidelines, not Buddy Ryan.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Well, Rex took more of a "hands off" approach last season. And he admitted it was wrong. OK, he gets back to "hands on" this season. Lesson learned. I think he has done a ton of things this offseason to show he is committed to see that last season doesn't happen again. To me, that is growing. That's where it begins. When you show you are committed and more involved, then the other things come along.

You have to understand he is 3 years into his head coaching experience. Go look at some of the great coaches of all time and see how they did in their first three seasons. You will be surprised by some of the greats (of the past and today) who have struggled. Will Rex be one of the great ones? Time will tell, I don't know. But history shows you don't throw a coach to the trash heap after 3 years if he is winning games. Especially winning games at a better clip than any coach in your franchise's history.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [B]BamaJets Well, Rex took more of a "hands off" approach last season. And he admitted it was wrong. OK, he gets back to "hands on" this season. Lesson learned. I think he has done a ton of things this offseason to show he is committed to see that last season doesn't happen again. To me, that is growing. That's where it begins. When you show you are committed and more involved, then the other things come along. [/B]

Rex was quoted this offseason as saying he tried to be too involved in the offense last year, didn't focus enough time on the defense, and that he wanted to 'stick to what he knows best' or something to that effect. He's re-stated and re-stated those type of comments quite often since January, not quite sure what his message is right now.

[B]You have to understand he is 3 years into his head coaching experience. Go look at some of the great coaches of all time and see how they did in their first three seasons. You will be surprised by some of the greats (of the past and today) who have struggled. Will Rex be one of the great ones? Time will tell, I don't know. But history shows you don't throw a coach to the trash heap after 3 years if he is winning games. Especially winning games at a better clip than any coach in your franchise's history.[/B]

There are a few ways to look at this:

1. Rex Ryan is averaging the same 9.5 wins per season with a healthy starting QB as all the other head coaches in the last 15 years. Mangini, Edwards, Groh, Parcells. He's on their average, nothing more.

2. Rex Ryan has had some strong postseason success, best thing on his resume, but he hasn't won a division like Parcells and even Edwards managed to. Last season was supposed to be that leap and instead he fell flat on his face.

3. Rex Ryan hasn't had to "struggle" in his first few seasons like some of the other great NFL coaches because he inherited a win-now playoff caliber team. Mangini was off to an 8-3 start before he lost Favre, we had a Top 5 OL, a strong running game, were going to win the division until the wheels fell off.

4. Rex Ryan had the benefit of choosing his own QB and building his own D with some major pieces from his prior team, something Mangini, Edwards, and Groh never had. Even Parcells had to live with an inherited O'Donnell the same way that Edwards and Mangini inherited Pennington. Yet the end result is still the same, still taking Tannenbaum's patchwork roster to a second-place-at-best level.

Point here being that any decent rookie head coach could have taken the '09 and '10 Jets to a 10 win average, eked a couple of wildcard appearances. The difference is that Ryan won playoff games- a huge accomplishment that means nothing if he can't even [I]make [/I]the playoffs.

Rex Ryan's regular season failures are being cloaked in his post season successes; if you peel away the post season, he's winning the same 9.5 games per year that all our other post-Kotite head coaches have with a healthy starting QB. It's really not that impressive in that context.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Green&White51;4479809]These "Rex to be more 'hands on' " articles are becoming as redundant every offseason as the old "Pennington will be stronger next year (due to some non football activity)" articles.[/QUOTE]
    LOL.

Stole the post almost word for word out from under my keyboard.

Well played sir :D

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4480073][B]BamaJets Well, Rex took more of a "hands off" approach last season. And he admitted it was wrong. OK, he gets back to "hands on" this season. Lesson learned. I think he has done a ton of things this offseason to show he is committed to see that last season doesn't happen again. To me, that is growing. That's where it begins. When you show you are committed and more involved, then the other things come along. [/B]

Rex was quoted this offseason as saying he tried to be too involved in the offense last year, didn't focus enough time on the defense, and that he wanted to 'stick to what he knows best' or something to that effect. He's re-stated and re-stated those type of comments quite often since January, not quite sure what his message is right now.

[B]You have to understand he is 3 years into his head coaching experience. Go look at some of the great coaches of all time and see how they did in their first three seasons. You will be surprised by some of the greats (of the past and today) who have struggled. Will Rex be one of the great ones? Time will tell, I don't know. But history shows you don't throw a coach to the trash heap after 3 years if he is winning games. Especially winning games at a better clip than any coach in your franchise's history.[/B]

There are a few ways to look at this:

1. Rex Ryan is averaging the same 9.5 wins per season with a healthy starting QB as all the other head coaches in the last 15 years. Mangini, Edwards, Groh, Parcells. He's on their average, nothing more.

2. Rex Ryan has had some strong postseason success, best thing on his resume, but he hasn't won a division like Parcells and even Edwards managed to. Last season was supposed to be that leap and instead he fell flat on his face.

3. Rex Ryan hasn't had to "struggle" in his first few seasons like some of the other great NFL coaches because he inherited a win-now playoff caliber team. Mangini was off to an 8-3 start before he lost Favre, we had a Top 5 OL, a strong running game, were going to win the division until the wheels fell off.

4. Rex Ryan had the benefit of choosing his own QB and building his own D with some major pieces from his prior team, something Mangini, Edwards, and Groh never had. Even Parcells had to live with an inherited O'Donnell the same way that Edwards and Mangini inherited Pennington. Yet the end result is still the same, still taking Tannenbaum's patchwork roster to a second-place-at-best level.

Point here being that any decent rookie head coach could have taken the '09 and '10 Jets to a 10 win average, eked a couple of wildcard appearances. The difference is that Ryan won playoff games- a huge accomplishment that means nothing if he can't even [I]make [/I]the playoffs.

Rex Ryan's regular season failures are being cloaked in his post season successes; if you peel away the post season, he's winning the same 9.5 games per year that all our other post-Kotite head coaches have with a healthy starting QB. It's really not that impressive in that context.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

OK. I think Rex is good for the Jets and you don't. We'll leave it at that.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BamaJets;4480081]OK. I think Rex is good for the Jets and you don't. We'll leave it at that.[/QUOTE]

This is what he does, he repeats himself like one of jerrys kids.

A thread of 50 posts and he's stuttered 20 of them.

After another thread with 50 more saying the same things, asking the same questions which mean nothing, demanding answers.

He'll scream look at me, I know all, I am OZ.

Trolling.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;4480126]This is what he does, he repeats himself like one of jerrys kids.

After another thread with 50 more saying the same things, asking the same questions which mean nothing, demanding answers.

Trolling.[/QUOTE]

haha

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetgreen13;4479998]dude is hijacking every rex thread on the freakin board already!! then he continues annoying people until they respond to his tired canned posts!! then the guy has the balls to play the injured party (to mods no less) when someone gets POed enough to call him names?? then potty mouthed posters run the risk of a vacation from the board.. how does JI after years of the exact same song & dance from this guy not consider it trolling?? what the hell i'm i missing?? oh yeah, yet another potentially good thread that has been hijacked buy the same guy.. again!![/QUOTE]

+ 100000

Great post!

He cries that it's his opinion and this is a board, he can post his opinions.

Well most of us are of the opinion that he's a troll. He's told over and over, somehow doesn't get it. If that many people told me to STFU I would STFU. Not this guy.

If you say anything, have an opinion about him, then the open forum for thought that he defends ceases to exist and he runs crying to the mods.

A manly man.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;4479957]LOL, you're so original and damn funny!

Where do you come up with this stuff. It's like a well rehearsed, oh yeah, it is.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Jet Nut;4479969]My God, is anyone more boring that you and this tired old act that we've heard over and over again troll.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Jet Nut;4479983][IMG]http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q331/lf911sc/beat-a-dead-horse.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Jet Nut;4480126]This is what he does, he repeats himself like one of jerrys kids.

Trolling.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Jet Nut;4480132]+ 100000

Great post!

He cries that it's his opinion and this is a board, he can post his opinions.

Well most of us are of the opinion that he's a troll. He's told over and over, somehow doesn't get it. If that many people told me to STFU I would STFU. Not this guy.

If you say anything, have an opinion about him, then the open forum for thought that he defends ceases to exist and he runs crying to the mods.

A manly man.[/QUOTE]

5 posts from Jet Nut, all personal attacks, nothing to do with subject matter, disrupting other posters on-topic conversations have been reported.

One of these days you'll come to realize that [U]you're[/U] the troll, [U]you're[/U] the one causing the problems. Methinks that day will be today, in fact.

SAR I

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    How could anybody say Rex isn't good for the Jets? He took us to back to back AFC championship games, and made our defense a consistent force to be reckoned with.

His worst season as a HC was 8-8.

c'mon now.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=dustykeller;4480145]How could anybody say Rex isn't good for the Jets? He took us to back to back AFC championship games, and made our defense a consistent force to be reckoned with.

His worst season as a HC was 8-8.

c'mon now.[/QUOTE]

The question that needs answering is:

Is Rex Ryan the right coach for [U]this[/U] team right [U]now[/U]? Rex's success came from inheriting a mess of a team from hard-ass Eric Mangini who ran the team like a prison camp. Rex comes in, players-coach, nice-guy, frees them from the prison and they responded. Responded very well.

Now we're in a different situation. Now we have an undisciplined, lazy team that needs a hard-ass. Ask yourself if Rex Ryan is the right guy for [U]this[/U] type of team. Ask yourself if the players have lost respect for him, tuned him out, are tired of his childish comments in the press.

No one is arguing that he didn't do a good job in the past; we're arguing if he's the right coach for this team right now.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My biggest concern about Rex was not all the talking and bold predictions, but that he seemed to be more of a defensive coordinator than head coach. He really never seemed involved in the offense and seemed to not hold them accountable for their performance. In his press conferences he would criticize the defense but never spoke negative about the offense, almost apologetic towards them. I think because he had so little input, he felt like he could not criticize them.

Most good head coaches in the NFL seem to be control freaks, they want to know whats going on in every aspect of their team and want things done their way. I guess its a good thing that Rex finally sees the importance of being involved in EVERY aspect of the team, but I cant help but be concerned that he didnt see this from the beginning.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sec.101row23;4480151]My biggest concern about Rex was not all the talking and bold predictions, but that he seemed to be more of a defensive coordinator than head coach. He really never seemed involved in the offense and seemed to not hold them accountable for their performance. In his press conferences he would criticize the defense but never spoke negative about the offense, almost apologetic towards them. I think because he had so little input, he felt like he could not criticize them.

Most good head coaches in the NFL seem to be control freaks, they want to know whats going on in every aspect of their team and want things done their way. I guess its a good thing that Rex finally sees the importance of being involved in EVERY aspect of the team, but I cant help but be concerned that he didnt see this from the beginning.[/QUOTE]

Excellent post.

SAR I

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sec.101row23;4480151]My biggest concern about Rex was not all the talking and bold predictions, but that he seemed to be more of a defensive coordinator than head coach. He really never seemed involved in the offense and seemed to not hold them accountable for their performance. In his press conferences he would criticize the defense but never spoke negative about the offense, almost apologetic towards them. I think because he had so little input, he felt like he could not criticize them.

Most good head coaches in the NFL seem to be control freaks, they want to know whats going on in every aspect of their team and want things done their way. I guess its a good thing that Rex finally sees the importance of being involved in EVERY aspect of the team, but I cant help but be concerned that he didnt see this from the beginning.[/QUOTE]

I think part of it is that he never felt he had authority over Schittenheimer. Not sure if that was self-imposed or if Schitt's control was preordained by Tanny/Woody. I think it will be a lot different now.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4480150]The question that needs answering is:

Is Rex Ryan the right coach for [U]this[/U] team right [U]now[/U]? Rex's success came from inheriting a mess of a team from hard-ass Eric Mangini who ran the team like a prison camp. Rex comes in, players-coach, nice-guy, frees them from the prison and they responded. Responded very well.

Now we're in a different situation. Now we have an undisciplined, lazy team that needs a hard-ass. Ask yourself if Rex Ryan is the right guy for [U]this[/U] type of team. Ask yourself if the players have lost respect for him, tuned him out, are tired of his childish comments in the press.

No one is arguing that he didn't do a good job in the past; we're arguing if he's the right coach for this team right now.

SAR I[/QUOTE]
    Well, with Rex's body of work to date, he's done an admirable job. For now, he's the right man for this position, imo.

If the Jets take a nosedive this upcoming season, then you may have a valid argument. But since none of us are fortune tellers, we'll have to take the wait and see approach.

I can only go on what Rex has done for this team up until now.....and for now, he's earned his paycheck.