Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sirius-XM, Why No Progressive Station?

Sirius-XM, Why No Progressive Station?

I have to say, I quite enjoyed Sirius-XM's decision to have a "Pink Floyd Channel" over this Memorial Day weekend.

But it bring to mind a question that vexes me. Why does Sirius-XM not have a Prog Rock (old and new) Station? They literally have a station to cover almost every other genre possible, with quite a bit of duplication.

Yet no Prog, a genre that generally gets short shrift on other formats outside the occasional Floyd/Genesis/Rush Classic Rock Greatesy Hits tune.

Prog is a pretty deep and wide genre these days, fromt he old stuff through modern bands like Mars Volta, for one example, and it's suprising there is no filling of that niche on the only game in town.

I know at least one other JI poster, on an Orange hue, that would probably agree.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

A couple of months ago Yes was in the regular rotation on Classic Vinyl

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=Warfish;4479404]I have to say, I quite enjoyed Sirius-XM's decision to have a "Pink Floyd Channel" over this Memorial Day weekend.

But it bring to mind a question that vexes me. Why does Sirius-XM not have a Prog Rock (old and new) Station? They literally have a station to cover almost every other genre possible, with quite a bit of duplication.

Yet no Prog, a genre that generally gets short shrift on other formats outside the occasional Floyd/Genesis/Rush Classic Rock Greatesy Hits tune.

Prog is a pretty deep and wide genre these days, fromt he old stuff through modern bands like Mars Volta, for one example, and it's suprising there is no filling of that niche on the only game in town.

I know at least one other JI poster, on an Orange hue, that would probably agree.[/QUOTE]

I agree.:yes:

On a side note, a big F UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

to their customer service which sucks donkey b*lls.:mad:

Called up last week for the simple purpose of extending the service I got with my new truck; Thats all I wanted.

An hour later, and six different operators (all of whom barely spoke heavily accented English) later... I ended up getting a radio I did not want sent to my house, which I now have to return.

But yes, Fish, they should have a progressive station.:yes:

Jets Insider VIP
    I have a better question: why are there full time Jimmy Buffet and Bruce Springsteen channels? Seems like a big effort to reach very specific types of toolbag. Can't be bringing in much revenue.

Meanwhile Led Zep no longer has a channel and bands like the Stones, who certainly have the extensive catalog of tracks and huge fanbase to sustain a full-time channel, have nothing but the occasional drop on Classic Vinyl or Deep Tracks.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=JetPotato;4479480]I have a better question: why are there full time Jimmy Buffet and Bruce Springsteen channels? Seems like a big effort to reach very specific types of toolbag. Can't be bringing in much revenue.

Meanwhile Led Zep no longer has a channel and bands like the Stones, who certainly have the extensive catalog of tracks and huge fanbase to sustain a full-time channel, have nothing but the occasional drop on Classic Vinyl or Deep Tracks.[/QUOTE]

I never listen to the group specific channels aside from the Dead...a Phail Jam channel is laughable to me, as is a Jimmy Buffet channel. Stones channel is a great idea though, tons of music there, something else I would love would be a Southern rock channel, (Allmans, Skynyrd, MTB, Outlaws, CDB, etc) lock me in!

Banned
    Ozzy's Boneyard gets me through my awful commute every day.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=jetswin;4479483]I never listen to the group specific channels aside from the Dead...a Phail Jam channel is laughable to me, as is a Jimmy Buffet channel. Stones channel is a great idea though, tons of music there, something else I would love would be a Southern rock channel, (Allmans, Skynyrd, MTB, Outlaws, CDB, etc) lock me in![/QUOTE]

+1. The Dead channel is like soft butter on a cinnamon raisin bagel.

I'd be on board with the Southern rock channel, too. How about a Guitar Legends channel - Clapton, Stevie Ray, Hendrix, etc. They could play a different version of Little Wing every hour ;)

I like Boneyard (although it didn't need Ozzy's name attached tbqh).

I agree with the :confused: over a Buffet, Pearl Jam or Bruce channel, although Bruce kinda sorta warrants it.

I'd dump all three, replace them with:

1. Progressive Rock - Prog from the early 60's beginning to modern Prog torchbearers.

2. Southern Rock - Allmans, Skynyrd, Petty and everything in between.

3. Classic Hard Rock - Stones, Who, Zepplin, and all the great hard rock bands of the 60's and 70's that rarely get played.

The existing Classic Rock Channel would be more the softer stuff is currently plays alot of, the Elton John's and the like.

Classic Rock would then, basicly, have three stations.

Classic "Rock" - Elton John and Lighter
    Classic Hard Rock - The Stones to Led Zepplin level-o'-hard
    Classic Heavy Metal (i.e. Boneyard) - Motorhead, Iron Maiden, Metallica

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Warfish;4479498]I like Boneyard (although it didn't need Ozzy's name attached tbqh).

I agree with the :confused: over a Buffet, Pearl Jam or Bruce channel, although Bruce kinda sorta warrants it.

I'd dump all three, replace them with:

1. Progressive Rock - Prog from the early 60's beginning to modern Prog torchbearers.

2. Southern Rock - Allmans, Skynyrd, Petty and everything in between.

3. Classic Hard Rock - Stones, Who, Zepplin, and all the great hard rock bands of the 60's and 70's that rarely get played.

The existing Classic Rock Channel would be more the softer stuff is currently plays alot of, the Elton John's and the like.

Classic Rock would then, basicly, have three stations.

Classic "Rock" - Elton John and Lighter
    Classic Hard Rock - The Stones to Led Zepplin level-o'-hard
    Classic Heavy Metal (i.e. Boneyard) - Motorhead, Iron Maiden, Metallica[/QUOTE]

I like, reminds me I wanted to do a thread on favorite music genres last week and forgot :O

[QUOTE=jetswin;4479505]I like, reminds me I wanted to do a thread on favorite music genres last week and forgot :O[/QUOTE]

I'm here for you bro. By all means, start that badboy up, I'd enjoy that topic.

All Pro

Why so Sirius?

it's understandable

SiriusXM are trying to avoid liability for DUI or people falling asleep at the wheel

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Warfish;4479522]I'm here for you bro. By all means, start that badboy up, I'd enjoy that topic.[/QUOTE]

done :cool:

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

No one listened to Prog Rock at the height of its existence; no one would listen to it now unless they were held hostage and it was a form of cruel torture.

SAR I

[QUOTE=SAR I;4479655]No one listened to Prog Rock at the height of its existence; no one would listen to it now unless they were held hostage and it was a form of cruel torture.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Don't you belong in a "Rex Must Be Fired NAOW!!!" thread on the Landing Shiit?:huh:

Oh, and Floyds 250 million records sold, and 2nd best selling album of all time says "hi, dumbass".
    Last edited by Warfish; 05-29-2012 at 02:59 PM.

[QUOTE=32green;4479467]I agree.:yes:

On a side note, a big F UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

to their customer service which sucks donkey b*lls.:mad:

Called up last week for the simple purpose of extending the service I got with my new truck; Thats all I wanted.

An hour later, and six different operators (all of whom barely spoke heavily accented English) later... I ended up getting a radio I did not want sent to my house, which I now have to return.

But yes, Fish, they should have a progressive station.:yes:[/QUOTE]

Their customer service is awful. I have been a Sirius subscriber for 4-5 years, with the premium package (xm, sirius, online radio). I purchased a new car in December and it came with a 3 month trial subscription to Sirius. I called up to cancel the 3 month trial and to transfer my existing subscription to my new radio. Simply stated, they would not do that for me. The Customer Service rep had a thick french accent. He did not understand that i did not want to downgrade to a Sirius-only package. After going back and forth with the guy for 20 minutes, I finally agreed to the 3 month subscription with my current subscription activating after the 3 month trial expired.

Well 5 months later I find out the idiot opened me a new account with a made up email (my firstname with my last 4 digits of my phone number @gmail.com) and that my automatic bill payment had not processed for the last 2 months because they have no credit card on file. They would not transfer this subscription to my previous account (with my active email). I needed to make a new email address just so i could listen to the radio online.

In the end, I am actually paying less because they had a better package deal at the time of my actual renewal (2 weeks ago).

[QUOTE=JetPotato;4479480]I have a better question: why are there full time Jimmy Buffet and Bruce Springsteen channels? Seems like a big effort to reach very specific types of toolbag. Can't be bringing in much revenue.

Meanwhile Led Zep no longer has a channel and bands like the Stones, who certainly have the extensive catalog of tracks and huge fanbase to sustain a full-time channel, have nothing but the occasional drop on Classic Vinyl or Deep Tracks.[/QUOTE]

Before the merger Zep had their own channel on XM and the Stones had their own on Sirius.

The Floyd weekend was good but they played the same loop of songs way too much.

The customer service is horrible, but if you ask to speak to someone here they will get you one.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=Warfish;4479657]Don't you belong in a "Rex Must Be Fired NAOW!!!" thread on the Landing Shiit?

Oh, and Floyds 250 million records sold, and 2nd best selling album of all time says "hi, dumbass".[/QUOTE]

I love Pink Floyd but they're a band, not an entire genre. Genesis was much better, but those two bands don't justify anything more than the moniker of "experimental art rock".

SAR I

[QUOTE=Warfish;4479498]I like Boneyard (although it didn't need Ozzy's name attached tbqh).

I agree with the :confused: over a Buffet, Pearl Jam or Bruce channel, although [B]Bruce kinda sorta warrants it[/B].
    [/QUOTE]

Exactly... Bruce has the listeners... Deserves his own channel...

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4479767]Exactly... Bruce has the listeners... Deserves his own channel...[/QUOTE]

So does Beiber.

:P

[QUOTE=Braumeister;4479490]Ozzy's Boneyard gets me through my awful commute every day.[/QUOTE]

XM is awesome. Fought it forever but would never listen to regular radio again.

Howard, Jazz on 67, classic vinyl, ESPN, PGA, Mark Levin to name just a few.