Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: #Jets will sign free agent offensive linemen Stephon Heyer + Ray Willis

[QUOTE=GreenWave;4479632]Yes and yes. Most importantly, the Jets are signing guys with starting experience, not the Colin Baxters / Caleb Schaprekklsdjasdfrsopiuses of the world.[/QUOTE]

Don't knock Caleb, Tony on the other board shared some inside info about how high Callahan was on him. He very well could be a future starter at OG.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;4479677]Comparing a couple of minor OL signings to our punter is a bit of a stretch, doncha think?[/QUOTE]

lol, well done.

Glad to hear the team is adding some OL depth with starting experience. This move was long overdue.

It's good they're signed early enough to learn the playbook before training camp.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Nothing but cannon fodder
    I do however, trust what the staff is trying to do this year.
    Part of the “no stone left unturned” mantra. I’m all in

Jets Insider VIP
    I commented in another thread that:

[list][*]The O-Line is thin.[*]The Front Office does not seem to be concerned.[/list]

Even though neither of these guys looks on paper to be the next Damien Woody,
    I am pleased to see more depth being added to this critical unit.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

When has a FO ever sounded concerned about OL depth in May?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;4479734]When has a FO ever sounded concerned about OL depth in May?[/QUOTE]

Is this a trick question?
    Today!

All Pro
    These are good signings. Both are big, physical RT types with NFL starting experience. I have always liked Willis, who should provide legit competition for Hunter and become a quality swing reserve at G/T at the very least. Both these guys look like good fits for a power running scheme, and will greatly improve the strength in depth on the OL.

[QUOTE=LockeJET;4479512][URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&v=v17lMr0j2D8&NR=1"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&v=v17lMr0j2D8&NR=1[/URL][/QUOTE]

:P

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    [QUOTE=KRL;4479573]Based on their size Heyer is more of an OT and Willis is more of an G/C.
    Two relatively young O-linemen who have started a number of games.
    Nothing wrong with having them in camp for competition and potential
    depth[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]Heyer and Willis, Veteran 6'6" OTs, Sign

Posted 1 hour ago

By Jets Media Relations Department

The New York Jets have signed offensive tackles Stephon Heyer and Ray Willis. The announcements were made by general manager Mike Tannenbaum.

Heyer (6'6", 330) entered the NFL as an undrafted free agent with Washington in 2007 and started 33 games for the Redskins from 2007-10. In 2011 he was active for 12 games, including two starts, with the Oakland Raiders after signing as an unrestricted free agent on Aug. 3.

Willis (6'6", 304) spent six seasons with Seattle (2005-10) after being drafted by the Seahawks in the fourth round of the 2005 draft. He played in 49 games, 26 starts, with the Seahawks, including 16 starts in the 2009 season, before spending 2010 on injured reserve. Last season Willis signed as a free agent with New Orleans on Nov. 2, 2011, and spent two weeks on the active roster before being waived.[/QUOTE]

2 veteran O-Lineman with starting experience.

That works for me. :yes:

We still have June 1st cuts as well....
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 05-29-2012 at 06:46 PM.

Let's not forget our depth last year and until know included mostly guys in the league for 3 plus years without a single start.

This is a good move.

[QUOTE=mrcoops;4479755]These are good signings. Both are big, physical RT types with NFL starting experience. I have always liked Willis, who should provide legit competition for Hunter and become a quality swing reserve at G/T at the very least. Both these guys look like good fits for a power running scheme, and will greatly improve the strength in depth on the OL.[/QUOTE]
    Agree its a good move. Last year's depth was horrendous and I have zero trust for Hunter. This should shore up the OL depth in a big way, having competent maulers with starting experience

well at leAST they are trying to fill needs they ignored.....maybe one will pan out

I've never heard of either but if they provide depth and competition for that RT spot than I'm all for it. Hunter was god awful last season and we can't afford to head into next season depending on him.

[QUOTE=JB1089;4479569]Can our resident Raider fan give us any information on Heyer?

I know he was only there for a year, but might as well ask.[/QUOTE]

S Heyer was a very good run blocker who is better suited to a power man to man blocking scheme than a stretch zone blocking scheme raiders are employing. IF Hue Jackson was back and the blocking scheme didn't change he most definitely would have been a more priority re signing .(he can play guard and tackle . Not as good a pass blocker as run blocker.
    Since thats not the case, he no longer fits the blocking scheme and Raiders had no interest in him.

JMO I don't see him being in competition for starting Rt position with the Jets. I think he has a better chance of being a starting guard(can give the Jets guards a run for their money)
    Last edited by Raider9175; 05-30-2012 at 09:32 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=CraigFL;4479562]Ray Willis
    #67 T
    New Orleans Saints | Official Team Site
    Height: 6-6 Weight: 304 Age: 29
    Born: 8/13/1982 Angleton , TX
    College: Florida State
    Experience: 7th season
    High School: Angleton HS [TX]

year team GP GS
    2011 New Orleans Saints 0 0
    2009 Seattle Seahawks 16 16
    2008 Seattle Seahawks 16 10
    2007 Seattle Seahawks 5 0
    2006 Seattle Seahawks 1 0
    2005 Seattle Seahawks 6 0
    TOTAL 44 26[/QUOTE]

Looks like a slightly better career arc than Wayne Hunter.

[QUOTE=Raider9175;4480042]S Heyer was a very good run blocker who is better suited to a power man to man blocking scheme than a stretch zone blocking scheme raiders are employing. IF Hue Jackson was back and the blocking scheme didn't change he most definitely would have been a more priority re signing .(he can play guard and tackle . Not as good a pass blocker as run blocker.
    Since thats not the case, he no longer fits the blocking scheme and Raiders had no interest in him.

JMO I don't see him being in competition for starting Rt position with the Jets. [B] I think he has a better chance of being a starting guard[/B](can give the Jets guards a run for their money)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. With both Slauson and Moore coming off injuries it may be necessary to find a starter at Guard this year.

The fact that they signed 2 OL is telling.... RT , depth, Slauson's injury....

Not sure if the guys they signed are starter material, but worth a look and will most like spell the ending of Vlad in a NYJ uniform

[QUOTE=dickkotite;4479836]well at leAST they are trying to fill needs they ignored.....maybe one will pan out[/QUOTE]

why are you assuming the Oline depth was ignored? The final roster isn't determined, there is no training camp. They do not have the free money required to overpay for a O-lineman who will be a slight upgrade.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=southside;4479580]I like that the Jets don't draft/sign small in the trenches anymore. In my opinion, size/power matters most there.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree, it's nice to see. I like adding of depth to the OL with BIG bodies