Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Dolphins will be in HBO's Hard Knocks

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    I thought Philbin and the Dolphins came away looking like cowards for how they handled the Johnson release.

When news first broke, I thought for sure that could mean the end for Johnson, but I have been anxious to see what actually happened, what went on, Johnson has never crossed the line like this, not with the law, he's always been a character, but something just seems real weird about what happened in that incident with his wife, and I don't condone AT ALL what he did, IF INDEED that happened.

But Hardknocks really exposed a poor poor handling of the entire matter, Philbin IMO comes away looking extremely soft and cowardly. He pre-judges Johnson, and it's apparent he had his mind made up before he had the chance to even sit down with Johnson, the fact that HK had it all on tape is damning evidence. Did Philbin even ask him for his side of the story, did he ask him what his role was in the matter, ask him about what happened?

To me, the right way to handle it, is to talk to the player, get his side of the story, tell him that you don't know what you're going to do but that his actions does not help the organization, that he needs to make a decision for the better of the team, but wants to do right by the player too, that it would be hard, but that he would have to make a tough decision either way, and fast. I realize Philbin probably didn't want this to drag on, I get it, but don't end it right there, in front of the player, give yourself and the player an opportunity to sleep on it, at least. Philbin was the judge and jury before an opportunity of a trial. Horrible.

In fact, I have a soft spot for Chad, always have, I love his character, and he is a character. He IS crazy too, but I don't ever get the sense that he isn't a good teammate, and doesn't do anything but BUST his ass in everything he does, even if he lost a little off of his "fastball."

And actually, I have changed my stance on whether to think if the Jets should consider a move for Johnson, the team that does consider him, gets him at a time where he is real down on himself, and wants one opportunity to make it right, that team could reap a big benefit from that. Johnson is now facing a time in his life where he needs to re-evaluate his life, his image, and decide that from this point forward, he needs to change that image for the better. A team could really benefit from this if he still has something to offer. The dropped pass looked bad in the game, but to me, he still looks to me like a player who can still play. The response from some of the Dolphin key players also speaks volumes to me, they were not happy with how the team handled it.
    Good post Ray. I felt bad for Chad. But keep him away from my Jets.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought Philbin and the Dolphins came away looking like cowards for how they handled the Johnson release.

When news first broke, I thought for sure that could mean the end for Johnson, but I have been anxious to see what actually happened, what went on, Johnson has never crossed the line like this, not with the law, he's always been a character, but something just seems real weird about what happened in that incident with his wife, and I don't condone AT ALL what he did, IF INDEED that happened.

But Hardknocks really exposed a poor poor handling of the entire matter, Philbin IMO comes away looking extremely soft and cowardly. He pre-judges Johnson, and it's apparent he had his mind made up before he had the chance to even sit down with Johnson, the fact that HK had it all on tape is damning evidence. Did Philbin even ask him for his side of the story, did he ask him what his role was in the matter, ask him about what happened?

To me, the right way to handle it, is to talk to the player, get his side of the story, tell him that you don't know what you're going to do but that his actions does not help the organization, that he needs to make a decision for the better of the team, but wants to do right by the player too, that it would be hard, but that he would have to make a tough decision either way, and fast. I realize Philbin probably didn't want this to drag on, I get it, but don't end it right there, in front of the player, give yourself and the player an opportunity to sleep on it, at least. Philbin was the judge and jury before an opportunity of a trial. Horrible.

In fact, I have a soft spot for Chad, always have, I love his character, and he is a character. He IS crazy too, but I don't ever get the sense that he isn't a good teammate, and doesn't do anything but BUST his ass in everything he does, even if he lost a little off of his "fastball."

And actually, I have changed my stance on whether to think if the Jets should consider a move for Johnson, the team that does consider him, gets him at a time where he is real down on himself, and wants one opportunity to make it right, that team could reap a big benefit from that. Johnson is now facing a time in his life where he needs to re-evaluate his life, his image, and decide that from this point forward, he needs to change that image for the better. A team could really benefit from this if he still has something to offer. The dropped pass looked bad in the game, but to me, he still looks to me like a player who can still play. The response from some of the Dolphin key players also speaks volumes to me, they were not happy with how the team handled it.
    I agree Ray with Philbin looking bad when he was cutting Chad. He just seemed so unsure of himself. I think when it came down to it, Philbin just didnt want to deal with the CJ personality all season.

As far as the Jets signing Chad, there is no way they could possibly do that. I do think he could help the team, they need a veteran WR desperately, but I can not see the Jets going down that road.

I also loved Moore's reaction when he learned he was going to start the pre-season game...LOL
    Last edited by sec.101row23; 08-15-2012 at 07:23 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    summary after watching Hard Knocks episode 2

1) All those glowing reports from various fish intruders and SOJFs about how magnificent Tannehill looked in his first preseason game -- well, turns out he didn't really do anything but hold a clipboard until the second half and then, against the future hamburger flippers and personal trainers of the third and fourth string Tampa Bay Bucs, managed to roll up a sensational seven points-- Look for him to be on the bench behind Moore (and Garrard, if he really makes it back in four weeks) for much if not all of the upcoming season. Pretty wife though

2) Philbin/Johnson -- made an instant decision without even hearing whether Chad had a side to his story and then looked like frigging Caspar Milquetoast telling Chad what his decision was. Just an awful performance. As a side comment, Mike Sherman sounds like a total moron and acts like an arrogant jerk. Not to mention his 11 year old son in law entrusted with developing an NFL quarterback from what is there

3) Miami looks like a really awful team that is destined for the division basement this season and probably bringing in a new head coach next season

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Philbin may be feared by his players, but he won't be respected. Should be interesting to see how long he lasts in Miami.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I fell asleep watching but before I did I was happy to see the Lacrosse player from PSU, Chris Hogan, doing well, finally a Dolphin I can watch without hating.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    In fact, I have a soft spot for Chad, always have, I love his character, and he is a character.
    Chad johnson is an absolute scumbag. The guy cheats on his wife and then when she confronts him about it, he headbuts her hard enough for her to get stitches.

And you want this a$$hole on our team?

FYI - this is the second time he has been in trouble for abusing a woman.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    I fell asleep watching but before I did I was happy to see the Lacrosse player from PSU, Chris Hogan, doing well, finally a Dolphin I can watch without hating.
    I wonder what Revis was thinking when he was watching that.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

While I think that firing him on television was not cool, I have no problem with not letting him explain his side of things.

Regardless of what happened b/w Johnson and his wife, the man is a drama. Something is always happening and he is always talking. It is just the way he is.

Recognizing that, it doesn't really matter if Johnson committed a crime. Even if he was "innocent" of a crime, his constant dramas were a distraction and his talent did not justify the distraction.
    Last edited by Digetydog; 08-15-2012 at 10:12 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog View Post
    While I think that firing him on television was not cool, I have no problem with not letting him explain his side of things.

Regardless of what happened b/w Johnson and his wife, the man is a drama. Something is always happening and he is always talking. It is just the way he is.

Recognizing that, it doesn't really matter if Johnson committed a crime. Even if he was "innocent" of a crime, his constant dramas were a distraction and his talent did justify the distraction.
    +1

At this stage of his career and what he can contribute it simply wasn't worth it- I don't blame them for cutting him. The NFL is a billion dollar business, there is no "fairness clause" when a player gets arrested. If a Larry Fitzgerald type got charged he'd be given far more leeway but Chad Johnson is no Larry Fitzgerald and he is no Bengals version of Chad Johnson either. There simply was no upside for the phins to keep him.

Time and the court will determine whether he is guilty. On a side note anyone who hits a woman is a POS. The fact that he was previously in trouble for a domestic abuse issue doesn't help his cause.

BTW how soon before his soon to be ex will be gold digging with yet another pro athlete?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I wonder what Revis was thinking when he was watching that.
    licking his chops, he's not getting juked on a head fake

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Hard Knocks: Johnson's release

Not sure how many of you saw Hard Knocks but towards the end they showed the HC telling Johnson that it was time to "part ways". While his "incident" of head butting was the final straw it seemed during camp that he just was not performing, dropping passes and not being able to distance himself from a Miami cornerback.

On the one hand I have no sympathy for someone who is more about "me" than team but it was obvious that he needs some type of mental help. Sad to see the decline of a once very good receiver.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    Not sure how many of you saw Hard Knocks
    scan the board before you start a thread

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Les Brown better keep his girl away from dere.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

From Jets blog

For those who care

Competitive*Intelligence
    In case you are interested, HBO has informed us that there will be attention paid to the stories of Clyde Gates and Isaako Aaitui in the season finale of Hard Knocks. *Aaitui and Gates of course are respectively the DL & WR that the Jets just acquired from the Dolphins off waivers over the weekend.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    For those who care
    These are going to be the most heavily parsed moments of screen footage since the Zapruder film.