View Poll Results: My favorite music is...

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • British Invasion

5 31.25%
  • Corporate Rock

0 0%
  • Disco

1 6.25%
  • Funk

0 0%
  • Headbangers

6 37.50%
  • New Wave

0 0%
  • Philly Soul

0 0%
  • Punk

1 6.25%
  • RB & Soul

1 6.25%
  • Southern Rock

2 12.50%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Music Genre

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Favorite Music Genre

[LIST=1][*][B]British Invasion[/B] - Beatles/Stones/Who/Kinks[*][B]Corporate Rock[/B] - Boston/Toto/Styx/Journey[*][B]Disco [/B]- BeeGees/KC&The Sunshine/Kool&The Gang/Donna Summer[*][B]Funk[/B] - Sly/Funkadelic/Ohio Players/EWF[*][B]Headbangers [/B]- Black Sabbath/Iron Maiden/Anthrax/Metallica[*][B]New Wave[/B] - Elvis Costello/Talking Heads/Smiths/Cars[*][B]Philly Soul[/B] - OJays/Sykistics/Hall & Oates/Teddy Pendergras[*][B]Punk[/B] - Clash/Sex Pistols/Ramones/Buzzcocks[*][B]RB & Soul[/B] - Isleys/J5/Marvin Gaye/Otis Redding[*][B]Southern Rock[/B] - Allmans/Marshall Tucker/Skynyrd/Outlaws[/LIST]Poll to follow, if "other" please provide exmples of the bands...I know nothing of death metal or whatever the really hard stuff is called.

All Pro
    Current pop music is my favorite.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=jetswin;4479567]...if "other" please provide exmples of the bands...I know nothing of death metal or whatever the really hard stuff is called.[/QUOTE]

How about just "metal"? Lolz @ "Headbanger"

:duckscane:

I'll go with "Headbanger" in this here poll :D

But, I like all of this:
    [IMG]http://spectacularopticalcorp.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/metal_genealogy.jpg[/IMG]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4479584]Current pop music is my favorite.[/QUOTE]

give an example, do you mean Justin Beiber?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4479590]How about just "metal"? Lolz @ "Headbanger"

:duckscane:

I'll go with "Headbanger" in this here poll :D

But, I like all of this:
    [IMG]http://spectacularopticalcorp.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/metal_genealogy.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

lol

I needed more poll choices, left out glam rock, hard rock etc, progressive rock (sorry Warfish :O)...that graphic is pretty good though

Hall Of Fame
    I reluctantly voted Disco, but I really like the sub-genres of House, Freestyle and some Trance. Roughly, dance music from 1978 to 1988. I worked as a DJ from 1980 to 1986 and that stuff brings back good memories for me, but its not for everyone (especially you white guys that can't dance).

Hall Of Fame
    Where would you put Hendrix/Stevie Ray Vaughn/Jeff Beck/Zepplin/Traffic/Clapton?

_

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

freak, I left out alternative and grunge too

:mad:

Norwegian Black Metal?

[IMG]http://www.sitcomsonline.com/photopost/data/818/15585bh29.jpg[/IMG]

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=jetswin;4479593]lol

I needed more poll choices, left out glam rock, hard rock etc, progressive rock (sorry Warfish :O)...that graphic is pretty good though[/QUOTE]

How about Warfist? :D

[IMG]http://www.deathstrike.de/catalog/images/Warfistep.jpg[/IMG]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=JStokes;4479595]Where would you put Hendrix/Stevie Ray Vaughn/Jeff Beck/Zepplin/Traffic/Clapton?

_[/QUOTE]

In the choice I braincramped and left out :O

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[IMG]http://homepage.mac.com/jelton/fark/BobFail.png[/IMG]

Dylan says I fail

All Pro
    you forgot accordian rock....

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-iOlYRPZhE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-iOlYRPZhE[/URL]

Jets Insider VIP
    I have always thought good music was good music despite the genre. But if I had to pick an order of these, it would be this:

British Invasion
    New Wave
    RB & Soul
    Punk
    Southern Rock
    Headbangers
    Corporate Rock
    Philly Soul
    Funk
    Disco

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=jetswin;4479567][LIST=1][*][B]British Invasion[/B] - Beatles/Stones/Who/Kinks[*][B]Corporate Rock[/B] - Boston/Toto/Styx/Journey[*][B]Disco [/B]- BeeGees/KC&The Sunshine/Kool&The Gang/Donna Summer[*][B]Funk[/B] - Sly/Funkadelic/Ohio Players/EWF[*][B]Headbangers [/B]- Black Sabbath/Iron Maiden/Anthrax/Metallica[*][B]New Wave[/B] - Elvis Costello/Talking Heads/Smiths/Cars[*][B]Philly Soul[/B] - OJays/Sykistics/Hall & Oates/Teddy Pendergras[*][B]Punk[/B] - Clash/Sex Pistols/Ramones/Buzzcocks[*][B]RB & Soul[/B] - Isleys/J5/Marvin Gaye/Otis Redding[*][B]Southern Rock[/B] - Allmans/Marshall Tucker/Skynyrd/Outlaws[/LIST]Poll to follow, if "other" please provide exmples of the bands...I know nothing of death metal or whatever the really hard stuff is called.[/QUOTE]

My vote is "Other"

Naming my genre is impossible, honestly, but would include:

-Pink Floyd (70's Space Prog)
    -Radiohead (90's Techno-Prog)
    -Black Mountain (00's Sabbath-esque Prog)
    -Iron and Wine (Folk w/ some Hints of Prog)
    -Muse (90's/00's Queen Epicrock)
    -Mars Volta (Insanity Set to Music)
    -Metallica (Standard Issue Thrash Metal)
    -Alice in Chains (Emo Rock on Heroin)
    -moe. (Jammy Jam Jam)
    -Greatful Dead (Very Traditional Folk Rock Turned Space Jam)

I like Epic Gilmourian Guitar Solos, Spacey Mellow Atmoshperic Keyboards (Farsifa/Hammond), Multiple Vocalists if possible, strong Riffs-based, Power Chordy, Explorative, Psychodellic/Proggy, grungy, shoegazy, oft-times folky acoustic, sometimes bombastic, rock music.

When I like other songs, the style often falls into the above. For example, I love Phil Collins songs "In the Air Tonight" and "I Don't Care Anymore", both keyboard driven emofests with some epic vocal moments. Most other Genesis/Phil Collins pop stuff....no thanks.

I like alot of old school metal, Megadeth, Anthrax, Pantera, Maiden, Motorhead, etc. But not as much as I used to. Only Metallica still gets regular rotation.

I like alot of bad 80's Synth Pop, mostly the good chorus, good keys riffy Floydian Stuff.

I like Flogging Molly, Irish Folk Punk.....with a former Big Hair Metal vocalist. And the Offspring.

But give me a mellow-to-rocking-to-mellow 20 min song, with a strong space-keyboard vibe, a Floydian Guitar Sol or two, a power-chord midbreak rifffest, two singers going back and forth and harmonizing the epic chorus, and I'll probably like it to some degree.

Signature Songs: Shine on You Crazy Diamond, Time, Comfortably Numb & The Entire Live at Pompeii Album (Floyd), Set Us Free & Tyrants & Sadie(Black Mountain), The Sea & the Rythm (Iron & Wine), Nude & Sail To the Moon & Street Spirit (Radiohead).
    Last edited by Warfish; 05-29-2012 at 02:19 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=jetswin;4479567][LIST=1][*][B]Philly Soul[/B] - OJays/Sykistics/Hall & Oates/Teddy Pendergras
    [/QUOTE]

2 pfails here.

Who were the Sykistics :D

And how are you putting Hall and Oates in with the O'Jays, Stylistics, Spinners, Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes (featuring Teddy Pendergras), et al? :mad:

_

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=JStokes;4479617]2 pfails here.

Who were the Sykistics :D

And how are you putting Hall and Oates in with the O'Jays, Stylistics, Spinners, Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes (featuring Teddy Pendergras), et al? :mad:

_[/QUOTE]

oh boy, I need an editor...Stylistics...Hall & Oates definitely have that sound imho, their early stuff is very underrated

Hall Of Fame
    I like all music...except country and pop.

[QUOTE=Warfish;4479611]My vote is "Other"

Naming my genre is impossible, honestly, but would include:

-Pink Floyd (70's Space Prog)
    -Radiohead (90's Techno-Prog)
    -Black Mountain (00's Sabbath-esque Prog)
    -Iron and Wine (Folk w/ some Hints of Prog)
    -Muse (90's/00's Queen Epicrock)
    -Mars Volta (Insanity Set to Music)
    -Metallica (Standard Issue Thrash Metal)
    -Alice in Chains (Emo Rock on Heroin)
    -moe. (Jammy Jam Jam)
    -Greatful Dead (Very Traditional Folk Rock Turned Space Jam)

I like Epic Gilmourian Guitar Solos, Spacey Mellow Atmoshperic Keyboards (Farsifa/Hammond), Multiple Vocalists if possible, strong Riffs-based, Power Chordy, Explorative, Psychodellic/Proggy, grungy, shoegazy, oft-times folky acoustic, sometimes bombastic, rock music.

When I like other songs, the style often falls into the above. For example, I love Phil Collins songs "In the Air Tonight" and "I Don't Care Anymore", both keyboard driven emofests with some epic vocal moments. Most other Genesis/Phil Collins pop stuff....no thanks.

I like alot of old school metal, Megadeth, Anthrax, Pantera, Maiden, Motorhead, etc. But not as much as I used to. Only Metallica still gets regular rotation.

I like alot of bad 80's Synth Pop, mostly the good chorus, good keys riffy Floydian Stuff.

I like Flogging Molly, Irish Folk Punk.....with a former Big Hair Metal vocalist. And the Offspring.

But give me a mellow-to-rocking-to-mellow 20 min song, with a strong space-keyboard vibe, a Floydian Guitar Sol or two, a power-chord midbreak rifffest, two singers going back and forth and harmonizing the epic chorus, and I'll probably like it to some degree.

Signature Songs: Shine on You Crazy Diamond, Time, Comfortably Numb & The Entire Live at Pompeii Album (Floyd), Set Us Free & Tyrants & Sadie(Black Mountain), The Sea & the Rythm (Iron & Wine), Nude & Sail To the Moon & Street Spirit (Radiohead).[/QUOTE]...emo rock on herion???.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=2foolish197;4479641]...emo rock on herion???.[/QUOTE]

You take issue with the fact that AiC was writing sludgy Sabbathy tunes primarily about the personal pain and suffering of Staley as he proceeded through the stages of addiction into his sad, inevitable, death?

Is it the "Emo" thats bugging you? Substitute whatever term you prefer, AiC was a window into a deep pain, with some great riffs as the theme music, as we all collectively watched Staley kill himself.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4479656]You take issue with the fact that AiC was writing sludgy Sabbathy tunes primarily about the personal pain and suffering of Staley as he proceeded through the stages of addiction into his sad, inevitable, death?

Is it the "Emo" thats bugging you? Substitute whatever term you prefer, AiC was a window into a deep pain, with some great riffs as the theme music, as we all collectively watched Staley kill himself.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but their Christmas Album was awesome.

_