Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pettine Discussing The Defense

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

ok for the last time..........

[QUOTE=JetsCrazey;4479912]Bart Scott, David Harris, Calvin Pace, and Bryan Thomas may have lost weight but they are not going to be able to cover most TEs.

Demario Davis, Laron Landry, and Yeremiah Bell are going to have to do it.[/QUOTE]

thomas can, he is a jack of all trades type lb. a lot like mo lewis was for us a while back. thomas may cant still do it but, he ran a 4.47 at the combine coming out of college. thats why we drafted him ahead of more notable players, as he was a unknown. he is probably the fastest lb we had for some time.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kennesawjet;4480102]thomas can, he is a jack of all trades type lb. a lot like mo lewis was for us a while back. [B]thomas may cant still do it but, he ran a 4.47 at the combine coming out of college.[/B] thats why we drafted him ahead of more notable players, as he was a unknown. he is probably the fastest lb we had for some time.[/QUOTE]

I am not so sure about that. Thomas is pretty far removed from his college speed. The Jets would be better served working with Maybin and developing some coverage skills with him. If everything is going good for the Jets D, Thomas shouldnt see the field very much. If Thomas sees significant playing time it is probably because either Maybin or Davis are hurt or not performing.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    My feeling is this, Thomas was given a "gold watch" contract for his years
    of service. If he's not totally healthy and quick he easily could be gone.
    There are too many LB's with speed on the roster this year to keep someone
    who is slow

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=KRL;4480166]My feeling is this, Thomas was given a "gold watch" contract for his years
    of service. If he's not totally healthy and quick he easily could be gone.
    There are too many LB's with speed on the roster this year to keep someone
    who is slow[/QUOTE]

They did guarantee a good portion of his deal though. JMO, but I think they expect him to be healthy. I think the team views this year as a transition year at the LB position. Next year, the core will be around Harris, Maybin, Davis and hopefully one of the younger guys that steps up. Its unlikely that Pace, Scott or Thomas will be on the squad in 2013.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crasherino;4480169]They did guarantee a good portion of his deal though. JMO, but I think they expect him to be healthy. I think the team views this year as a transition year at the LB position. Next year, the core will be around Harris, Maybin, Davis and hopefully one of the younger guys that steps up. Its unlikely that Pace, Scott or Thomas will be on the squad in 2013.[/QUOTE]
    Jets had some difficulty holding the edge when Thomas went down, good contract, example for other Vets, could be a Win/Win

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Charlie Brown;4480080]Thnak you for putting the thread back on topic.[/QUOTE]

You saw what was going on.

:first_pla

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=KRL;4480071]+1

For anyone that wants REAL football insight about the team they need to
    check out Pettine's interview. Very insightful[/QUOTE]

Couple of things I got out of the interview:
    1. Ellis Lankster is the 4th CB, but open competion for other spots.
    2. Believe in Ricky Sapp
    3. More 4-3 but committed to Multi Fronts
    4. Emphasis on speed and covering more ground as offenses spread out, Bart Kendric Ellis & Maybin current players that have shown better movement skills, Demario Thomas in the draft.
    5. 3rd down pass rush, Wilkerson and Coples inside, Maybin & Pace outside.
    6. Jets will have a lot of 3 safety looks and a 3 safety rotation, Bush seems to have the edge picking up the system of all the new guys.
    7. With all this talk of Bear Fronts, Pettin doesn't seem enthusiastic, we have it we use it. Talks about Dunbar getting the defensive lineman to another level as a group.
    8. Likes the work of veteran CB's , Revis , Wilson & Cromartie
    9. Defense seems to like what the offense is doing, lot of love for Sparano.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetOrange;4480265]Jets had some difficulty holding the edge when Thomas went down, good contract, example for other Vets, could be a Win/Win[/QUOTE]

Agreed on all fronts. If he is indeed healthy, its a very good low risk move. And I can only assume that the Jets were aware of his rehab progress when they signed him.

He may not have been worth $3.7 million like he was paid last year, but for less than $1m, its a solid move. Nothing earth shattering, but he certainly is valuable.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crasherino;4480322]Agreed on all fronts. If he is indeed healthy, its a very good low risk move. And I can only assume that the Jets were aware of his rehab progress when they signed him.

He may not have been worth $3.7 million like he was paid last year, but for less than $1m, its a solid move. Nothing earth shattering, but he certainly is valuable.[/QUOTE]
    I think he was in the building, rehabbing, contract has zero effect on this years cap, nothing going forward..I'm just saying at this price, he is okay until something better comes along. Linebackers now are part time players, and you are seeing some 35 year old linebackers. Jets need to use a premium pick on an OLB, of course same old song for the last three years.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=John_0515;4480046]As CB said above, "professional". Turning down Hard Knocks is a pretty good indicator as to the approach of the team. You can't turn off Rex completely, but he's been pretty good this off season. [B]Sanchez seems pissed off and focused.[/B] Tebow is Tebow. The addition of speed. Tweaking the defensive scheme (like the Patriots tweak the offensive scheme).[/QUOTE]

Yes indeed.

Liked that he said not only will there be more four-man fronts, but there will be more four-man pressures, with seven in coverage. A nickel/3rd down package with Coples and Mo on the inside, Pace and Maybin on the outside, Harris, Davis and five DBs. That sounds potent.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    ... great listen ... thx!

... pettine saying that the 46 will always be part of their package due to it's unique impact against opposing offenses = informative ...

... pettine stating that if it wasn't part of the package then buddy would write rex out of his will = hysterical! :rofl: :clapper: :iwon: ...

l_j_r

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetOrange;4480272]Couple of things I got out of the interview:
    2. Believe in Ricky Sapp
    4. Emphasis on speed and covering more ground as offenses spread out, Bart Kendric Ellis & Maybin current players that have shown better movement skills, Demario Thomas in the draft.
    6. Jets will have a lot of 3 safety looks and a 3 safety rotation, Bush seems to have the edge picking up the system of all the new guys.
    7. With all this talk of Bear Fronts, Pettin doesn't seem enthusiastic, we have it we use it. Talks about Dunbar getting the defensive lineman to another level as a group.
    9. Defense seems to like what the offense is doing, lot of love for Sparano.[/QUOTE]

its always good to have at least 1 intelligent poster in each thread.
    thanks for this...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=KRL;4480071]+1

For anyone that wants REAL football insight about the team they need to
    check out Pettine's interview. Very insightful[/QUOTE]

Yes it is and thank you for bringing it to the board. I loved seeing it it!
    Last edited by Kentucky Jet; 05-30-2012 at 09:22 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    My boy Sapp is standing out, hell yeah!:yes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Slikmojet;4480547]My boy Sapp is standing out, hell yeah!:yes:[/QUOTE]

I think there is a good chance that this statement is a factor in why we went with coples over ingram.

First off, Rex has a history of having young LBs in his system to learn and develop before coming in and contributing, usually right away (bart and adalius).

There is no doubting Sapp's skill and athleticism, and coming off an injury a year of special teams and situational defense wouldn't hurt him at all, especially considering he is young.

Lastly, we may not love Bart, BT or Pace's athleticism at this point, but they are our starters (at least Bart and Pace), and Id rather let maybin and Sapp grow along with demario and be ready to be a young, fast trio along with Harris for opening day 2013.

I know our defense is technically "old" but Im hoping we are developing a team for the long haul and our "front 8" of Wilkerson, Coples, Pouha, and Ellis along with Harris, Demario, Sapp and Maybin sure isn't old and certainly isn't slow or unathletic! Not to mention, very inexpensive....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=eaglenj;4480611]I think there is a good chance that this statement is a factor in why we went with coples over ingram.

First off, Rex has a history of having young LBs in his system to learn and develop before coming in and contributing, usually right away (bart and adalius).

There is no doubting Sapp's skill and athleticism, and coming off an injury a year of special teams and situational defense wouldn't hurt him at all, especially considering he is young.

Lastly, we may not love Bart, BT or Pace's athleticism at this point, but they are our starters (at least Bart and Pace), and Id rather let maybin and Sapp grow along with demario and be ready to be a young, fast trio along with Harris for opening day 2013.

I know our defense is technically "old" but Im hoping we are developing a team for the long haul and our "front 8" of Wilkerson, Coples, Pouha, and Ellis along with Harris, Demario, Sapp and Maybin sure isn't old and certainly isn't slow or unathletic! Not to mention, very inexpensive....[/QUOTE]

True, Coples over Ingram, but I think the Jets further endorsed Sapp as an OLB, when they passed on Vinny Curry (Hill a much better pick) in the second round, and passed on OLB's Kyle Wilbur & Ronnell Lewis out of Oklahoma in the third round.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The interesting thing about Sapp is that apparently he showed some good instincts in coverage, he just didn't have a lot of snaps doing it and the knee was a big problem.

What I like is that both he and Maybin are 6'4 with long arms....strong enough to bump a guy like hernandez or gronk and long enough arms to cover (and I know I'm using the word cover loosely - in no way do I think they will be running 10+ yards with those guys) them on short or intermediate routes with safety help.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetOrange;4480272]Couple of things I got out of the interview:
    2. Believe in Ricky Sapp
    9. Defense seems to like what the offense is doing, lot of love for Sparano.[/QUOTE]

you did a great job of summarizing the video. Thank you!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=eaglenj;4480611]I think there is a good chance that this statement is a factor in why we went with coples over ingram.

I know our defense is technically "old" but Im hoping we are developing a team for the long haul and our "front 8" of Wilkerson, Coples, Pouha, and Ellis along with Harris, Demario, Sapp and Maybin sure isn't old and certainly isn't slow or unathletic! Not to mention, very inexpensive....[/QUOTE]

Defense isn't old at all. Actually, over all we are quite young, on the DL, and in the secondary and we have young LB's who will have bigger roles this year in Maybin, Sapp, and Davis. We also potentially have Mauga and maybe Dowtin?

Scott and Thomas are veterans, but Scott is still just 32. Pace also is only 31-32.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Kentucky Jet;4480643]you did a great job of summarizing the video. Thank you![/QUOTE]

Did you detect that Pettin wasn't a big fan of Bear Fronts, or was that me ?. I can see Pettin as a HC, the guy is articulate, seems to know his stuff. This video gives you clues and insights to this defense