Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If Violent Crime Rate is at 40-Year Low, Why is U.S. Spending S100 Billion a Year on

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

If Violent Crime Rate is at 40-Year Low, Why is U.S. Spending S100 Billion a Year on

[QUOTE]From the amount of money spent each year in the United States on law enforcement, one might assume crime continues to be a growing problem.

But that’s not the case at all.

Crime rates today are at their lowest levels in 30 years and the rate of violent crime has dipped to a 39-year low. Yet the number of arrests between 2009 and 2010 declined only slightly, according to the Justice Policy Institute (JPI), which noted in its new report that police spending increased 445% between 1982 and 2007 and federal funding for police burgeoned by 729%.

Meanwhile, local, state and federal governments spend more than $100 billion each year on public safety and to maintain police ranks that exceed 710,000 nationwide.

Between 1993 and 2007 arrests for violent crimes dropped 27% and property crime arrests 22%. With fewer violent and property crimes being committed, the burgeoning ranks of police departments have concentrated on other offenses, particularly those related to the illegal drug trade. During the same period, drug-related arrests climbed 45%. The report notes that “Although Blacks make up 13 percent of the population, they make up 31 percent of arrests for drug offenses.”

“These arrests, often for possession of very small amounts of drugs, carry tremendous costs both to society and to the people involved, who must then face the rest of their life with the collateral consequences of a criminal record,” the JPI wrote.

The think tank suggested politicians redirect funding more toward “true community-based and collaborative policing efforts” as well as alternative programs and initiatives that “promote healthy safe communities.”

It suggested that law enforcement concentrate on serious offenses and, for low-level offenses, issue citations rather than pursue arrests.[/QUOTE]

-Noel Brinkerhoff, David Wallechinsky

[url]http://www.allgov.com/Top_Stories/ViewNews/If_Violent_Crime_Rate_is_at_40_Year_Low_Why_is_US_Spending_100_Billion_Dollars_a_Year_on_Police_120525[/url]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetdawgg;4479935]-Noel Brinkerhoff, David Wallechinsky

[url]http://www.allgov.com/Top_Stories/ViewNews/If_Violent_Crime_Rate_is_at_40_Year_Low_Why_is_US_Spending_100_Billion_Dollars_a_Year_on_Police_120525[/url][/QUOTE]

Failed yet another Police psychological exam?

Post office is hiring.

[url]http://about.usps.com/careers/welcome.htm[/url]

Good luck you, mam.

-

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Threads like this generally make me think of only one thing:

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_fallacy[/url]

This piece is full of them.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    So you are saying that all the evidence of the Police State are my imagination? You big government guys are just too much

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=32green;4479965]Failed yet another Police psychological exam?

Post office is hiring.

Good luck you, mam.

-[/QUOTE]
    I run a very successful business, now for 10 years. Becoming a cop would be a waste of my time

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=32green;4479965]Failed yet another Police psychological exam?

Post office is hiring.

Good luck you, mam.

-[/QUOTE]

LOLz.

This line stuck out to me: "the burgeoning ranks of police departments".
    I don't know about your town but we have less police than ever. :eek:

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetdawgg;4480097]So you are saying that all the evidence of the Police State are my imagination?[/QUOTE]

It's always helpful when crazy people answer their own questions.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FF2®;4480104]It's always helpful when crazy people answer their own questions.[/QUOTE]

Not the first time I have been called crazy, probably not the last either, but it does not change the truth of this matter; The nanny state rules

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetdawgg;4480097]So you are saying that all the evidence of the Police State are my imagination? You big government guys are just too much[/QUOTE]

No.

I'm saying just because a red cow is standing in the rain, the rain did not neccessarily fall BECAUSE the cow is red.

It's called a non sequitur, an example of a Fallacy of False Cause. And the article is full of them.

P.S. "Big Govt. Types". Thats a good one. :D
    Last edited by Warfish; 05-30-2012 at 09:50 AM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4480114]I'm saying just because a red cow is standing in the rain, the rain did not neccessarily fall BECAUSE the cow is red.[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

But if the red cow was sitting...whole new ballgame.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetdawgg;4480112]Not the first time I have been called crazy, probably not the last either, but it does not change the truth of this matter; The nanny state rules[/QUOTE]

I meant crazy like a fox!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    The amount of people we have locked up in this country is a national disgrace. Prosecutorial power gained through harsh sentencing guidelines is making innocent until proven guilty a thing of the past. It’s not if you’re going it’s how long.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    this is the lament of libertarian potheads/gateway drug addicts everywhere

a chiba filled community is a "healthy safe community"

don't do the crime if you can't do the time

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jungle Shift Jet;4480186]gateway drug addicts[/QUOTE]

You mean drinkers of alcohol, the #1 gateway drug?

I'm a Scotch man myself, whats your libation of choice? Let me guess, Virgin Shirley Temples?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4480203]You mean drinkers of alcohol, the #1 gateway drug?

I'm a Scotch man myself, whats your libation of choice? Let me guess, Virgin Shirley Temples?[/QUOTE]

No need to get all ropey. Nope the #1 gateway drug is weed.

[B]..adolescence cannabis exposure has an enduring impact on hedonic processing resulting in enhanced opiate intake, possibly as a consequence of alterations in limbic opioid neuronal populations.[/B]

[URL]http://publications.ki.se/jspui/handle/10616/38245[/URL]

Go fire up another bone and accuse me of something else I never wrote.
    Just another lib who can't back up their statements, what's the difference
    between you and the other lib pukes? Nothing.

PS Are you Mock-Polish or Scottish this week? Irish?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jungle Shift Jet;4480234]No need to get all ropey. Nope the #1 gateway drug is weed.[/quote]

Twas a joke my overly serious and sensative friend.

And your wrong. Every hard drug user started with either Tobacco and/or Alcohol. Every single one.

I don't smoke Pot btw. Should I wargarbl about you "accuse me of something else I never wrote"? Naaaa.

[quote]PS Are you Mock-Polish or Scottish this week? Irish?[/QUOTE]

As always, I'm Scottish. The Poles are by Marriage. No mock about either.

What are you, old friend? It's easy to snipe others ethnic pride. By all means, shed some light on what woderful chuck o' turf you and yours sprouted from.

And really..."Lib Puke"? Thats a bit harsh, and quite inaccurate. But, if it makes you feel better, go ahead, lump me in with the Libs. I doubt they'd be happy to hear it.

Hope all is well with you Flushing, you're very serious these days. Very angry, it seems, even against those who genuinely like and enjoy you here.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jungle Shift Jet;4480234]No need to get all ropey. Nope the #1 gateway drug is weed.

[B]..adolescence cannabis exposure has an enduring impact on hedonic processing resulting in enhanced opiate intake, possibly as a consequence of alterations in limbic opioid neuronal populations.[/B]

[URL]http://publications.ki.se/jspui/handle/10616/38245[/URL]

Go fire up another bone and accuse me of something else I never wrote.
    Just another lib who can't back up their statements, what's the difference
    between you and the other lib pukes? Nothing.

PS Are you Mock-Polish or Scottish this week? Irish?[/QUOTE]

WF is a lib puke???

Is it possible to have an discussion anymore with this vitriol? :confused:

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetdawgg;4480112]Not the first time I have been called crazy, probably not the last either, but it does not change the truth of this matter; The nanny state rules[/QUOTE]

Aren't you the Reparations guy?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4480252]Twas a joke my overly serious and sensative friend.

And your wrong. Every hard drug user started with either Tobacco and/or Alcohol. Every single one.

I don't smoke Pot btw. Should I wargarbl about you "accuse me of something else I never wrote"? Naaaa.

As always, I'm Scottish. The Poles are by Marriage. No mock about either.

What are you, old friend? It's easy to snipe others ethnic pride. By all means, shed some light on what woderful chuck o' turf you and yours sprouted from.

And really..."Lib Puke"? Thats a bit harsh, and quite inaccurate. But, if it makes you feel better, go ahead, lump me in with the Libs. I doubt they'd be happy to hear it.

Hope all is well with you Flushing, you're very serious these days. Very angry, it seems, even against those who genuinely like and enjoy you here.[/QUOTE]

Well, I guess if I have a failing, I'm not one to slough off gratuitous, lazy denigration without some kind of short-lived retaliation. Vendettas and grudges are reserved for the truly odious, I mean deserving.

(Folks shouldn't attribute stuff like "Like your numbers showing that 98% of homosexuals rape small children and worship satan?" to me when I never wrote such tommyrot and I won't be angry/lash out.)

For the record, I'm 1/2 Italian with one branch having roots in Algeria,
    the other 1/2 is Polish (Russian Zone) with some Jewish roots.
    At times, I make myself offers I can't refuse.
    The most famous person I am related to is Frank Sinatra, he was my mother's 2nd cousin on her father's side.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jungle Shift Jet;4480491]Well, I guess if I have a failing, I'm not one to slough off gratuitous, lazy denigration without some kind of short-lived retaliation. Vendettas and grudges are reserved for the truly odious, I mean deserving.[/quote]

Well, I can hope I don't fall into the "odious" category, at the least.

[QUOTE](Folks shouldn't attribute stuff like "Like your numbers showing that 98% of homosexuals rape small children and worship satan?" to me when I never wrote such tommyrot and I won't be angry/lash out.)[/QUOTE]

I honestly assumed you'd get the exagerated hyperbole, tbqh. :dunno:

In any event, I would echo your sentiments, with the twist that one should not attribute enabling or support of liberalism when no actual enabling occured, and one is not, in fact, universally or even in the majority a liberal. Nor a drug user, for that matter, since we're discussing facts.

[quote]For the record, I'm 1/2 Italian with one branch having roots in Algeria,
    the other 1/2 is Polish (Russian Zone) with some Jewish roots.
    At times, I make myself offers I can't refuse.[/quote]

See, now [U]thats[/U] funny.

Still, it's unkind to call someone a "mock" Scotsman or Pole. I save such comments, as you might say, for the truly odious and duplicitous.

[quote]The most famous person I am related to is Frank Sinatra, he was my mother's 2nd cousin on her father's side.[/QUOTE]

One of our Mods will love you forevermore now.:D