Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: This guy gets it.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

Love the oft missed "wait and see" = Results

Positive piece but I think the guy came up with a war theme and integrated it with optimism for the Jets, would have liked more detailed info on why he thinks we have gotten better. Especially since NE, Buff and maybe even the Dolfags have clearly have made forward progress personnel wise.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetJontos;4480277]Positive piece but I think the guy came up with a war theme and integrated it with optimism for the Jets, would have liked more detailed info on why he thinks we have gotten better. Especially since NE, Buff and maybe even the Dolfags have clearly have made forward progress personnel wise.[/QUOTE]

How have the Dolphins gotten better?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sec.101row23;4480135]Very good article. The only part I am not in total agreement in is the McKnight part. I do not have a very good feeling about him, but I hope I am wrong. I do think the defense will look a lot different this year, like the author said the defense got younger and faster this off season and being that there will be several young players contributing, the defense should get better as the year goes on.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully this will make you feel somewhat better.

Coach Pettine specifically indicated on his Thursday presser that he felt that Joe KcKight, yes that Joe McKnight, will have a break out season from what he can see!!!!!:D

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;4480263]Funny how you can 'not see one day of camp' and be a huge optimist but if you do 'not see one day of camp' you can't have a bad thing to say about the team.

[B]The Jets were worse than a 500 team last year, they were lucky to be 500.[/B]

They should be better this year due to:

- Probably a better offensive philosophy, including adding the dimension of Tebow which will actually take some pressure off of Sanchez, not add pressure.
    - Have tried hard to improve the disaster which was safety via the draft and FA.
    - Have tried to improve pass rush by drafting Coples.
    - Have tried to address deep threat by drafting Hill.

Big question is still RT. They don't need a pro bowler there they just need a guy that is half assed.

The team should be better but there are still worry spots.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm somewhere I have heard "you are what you record says you are" nothing more nothing less......

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Charlie Brown;4480329]Hopefully this will make you feel somewhat better.

Coach Pettine specifically indicated on his Thursday presser that he felt that Joe KcKight, yes that Joe McKnight, will have a break out season from what he can see!!!!!:D[/QUOTE]

We can only hope this to be true. The Jets desperately need an all around RB that is capable of running between the tackles and catching the ball. Right now the Jets backfield is very one dimensional.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sec.101row23;4480333]We can only hope this to be true. The Jets desperately need an all around RB that is capable of running between the tackles and catching the ball. Right now the Jets backfield is very one dimensional.[/QUOTE]

Honestly and despite what coach Pettine said I am concerned about that as well.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Austin;4480325]How have the Dolphins gotten better?[/QUOTE]

It's one of those things that is said.

You know, when some of the media just likes to set themselves up to be Nostradamus. They sucked last year, therefore they have to get better. Makes them look like a profit.

There's a lot of guys who have been waiting to pat themselves on the shoulder the last few years.

Seems like the QB they picked isn't playing much next year, they have an unknown HC, he could be good but could sh1t the bed. And their best most dynamic player is gone

But they will be improved.

See?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;4480193]I didn't read the article but rest assure you're on the list.[/QUOTE]
    LOL

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;4480336]

You know, when some of the media just likes to set themselves up to be Nostradamus. They sucked last year, therefore they have to get better. [B]Makes them look like a profit[/B].

[/QUOTE]

Damn stock market is killing my prophets this month.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Charlie Brown;4480331]Hmmm somewhere I have heard "you are what you record says you are" nothing more nothing less......[/QUOTE]

IMO that only applies when your analyzing teams who did / didn't qualify for the playoffs.

You can argue and speculate all you want for non-playoff teams. They are all technically in the same bucket

The difference between the worst non-playoff team and the best non-playoff team is their record.. but the two teams will share similar stories about their season. Troubled by turnovers, bad play, bad coaching, etc.

So if the two teams have 7 out of 8 things in common, and the 1 difference is their record.. then you can easily argue that the jets could have been a sub 500 team.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;4480336]It's one of those things that is said.

You know, when some of the media just likes to set themselves up to be Nostradamus. They sucked last year, therefore they have to get better. Makes them look like a profit.

There's a lot of guys who have been waiting to pat themselves on the shoulder the last few years.

Seems like the QB they picked isn't playing much next year, they have an unknown HC, he could be good but could sh1t the bed. And their best most dynamic player is gone

But they will be improved.

See?[/QUOTE]

I just think it's an odd point.

You could easily construct a well reasoned argument that the Pats, Jets, and Bills have all improved (I believe on paper they all have).

I just don't see how the Fish will be better. They dumped Brandon Marshall -- who are their WRs now?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NPTJET53;4480352]IMO that only applies when your analyzing teams who did / didn't qualify for the playoffs.

You can argue and speculate all you want for non-playoff teams. They are all technically in the same bucket

The difference between the worst non-playoff team and the best non-playoff team is their record.. but the two teams will share similar stories about their season. Troubled by turnovers, bad play, bad coaching, etc.

So if the two teams have 7 out of 8 things in common, and the 1 difference is their record.. then you can easily argue that the jets could have been a sub 500 team.[/QUOTE]

And they just as easily could have been over .500...

Every team has three or so games they could have lost but won and three or so games they could have won but lost. Most NFL teams are essentially +/- three games in a given season.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sec.101row23;4480333]We can only hope this to be true. The Jets desperately need an all around RB that is capable of running between the tackles and catching the ball. [B]Right now the Jets backfield is very one dimensional[/B].[/QUOTE]

Why do fans keep saying this.The Jets have Shonne Greene who can run between the tackles and get outside.Joe McKnight can get outside and can catch the ball out of the backfield.To fans,that where it ends,but it really doesn't.

Billal Powell can run outside,between the tackles and catch the ball out of the backfield,and now so can T Ganaway.The latter 2 hasn't shown to the fans on this level that they can yet,but they have done so at the college level and that gives me the hope that with a full offseason,they will display those traits in preseason and the regular season.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here's how this doom and gloomer sees it:
    In 2008 the Jets were 8-3. They had just beaten the best teams in the league. The "going to the Super Bowl" talk started.

But Favre's injured arm started slowing down the team. Yet they stuck with him.

And collapsed. Lost 4 of the last 5. [URL="http://www.nfl.com/schedules/2008/REG/JETS"]Missed the playoffs[/URL].

The aftermath? The coach and QB gone. Basically for one mistake: leaning on an injured Brett Favre.

This past season the team had three chances to sign their own ticket to the playoffs. Instead they lost all three games. ALL THREE! In completely embarrassing ways. The team imploded, turned on one another. The head coach acted like he didn't know what was going on in the locker room. Whether he did know or did not know is equally condemning. He lost the team. Mark Sanchez finished at the bottom of the league statistically.

Typically it's the type of finish that has an organization cleaning house.

The aftermath for the Jets? Practically everyone keeps their job because no one wants to admit a mistake in personnel. And no more team captains because the ones the team had turned on one another.

I'm not bashing anyone for being optimistic. I'll probably build myself back up into a state of optimism before the preseason.

But right now I just don't see that anything has changed the "talk big before the game and fight amongst yourselves during the game" culture that reared it's ugly head in 2011. Unless Tim Tebow's presence somehow magically fixes it. Which, if his fans are to be believed, he just might do.

Practice Squad
    Oswego County, Upstate NY, USA with my wife and family.
    Post Thanks / Like
    This article is closer to the truth than the (1) Jet-haters, (2) Negative Nancy's and (3) "Build-you-up-after-one-win-tear-you-down-after-one-loss" NY Media want to admit.

People forget that we imploded due to offensive line woes (no running lanes and Sanchez getting pummeled into mistakes), lack of speed at WR and defensive front-seven, Shoddy's inconsistent and mind-boggling play calling, burned safeties, and lack of a pass rush. Not to mention that every team that played us was sick to death of the Rex-bravado and wanted to stick it to us (some did, some didn't).

To me, it appears much like the article says - that we addressed every single one of these problems (if you count Sparano as being an OL-coach who takes a priority on protection in addition to a more consistent and logical signal caller) and are a team full of a LOT of talent and potential.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ChrisChrusher#40;4480403]This article is closer to the truth than the (1) Jet-haters, (2) Negative Nancy's and (3) "Build-you-up-after-one-win-tear-you-down-after-one-loss" NY Media want to admit.

People forget that we imploded due to offensive line woes (no running lanes and Sanchez getting pummeled into mistakes), lack of speed at WR and defensive front-seven, Shoddy's inconsistent and mind-boggling play calling, burned safeties, and lack of a pass rush. Not to mention that every team that played us was sick to death of the Rex-bravado and wanted to stick it to us (some did, some didn't).

To me, it appears much like the article says - that we addressed every single one of these problems (if you count Sparano as being an OL-coach who takes a priority on protection in addition to a more consistent and logical signal caller) and are a team full of a LOT of talent and potential.[/QUOTE]

That's all true. It's also true it's a very tough division.;)

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jxc;4480392]Here's how this doom and gloomer sees it:
    In 2008 the Jets were 8-3. They had just beaten the best teams in the league. The "going to the Super Bowl" talk started.

But Favre's injured arm started slowing down the team. Yet they stuck with him.

And collapsed. Lost 4 of the last 5. [URL="http://www.nfl.com/schedules/2008/REG/JETS"]Missed the playoffs[/URL].

The aftermath? The coach and QB gone. Basically for one mistake: leaning on an injured Brett Favre.

This past season the team had three chances to sign their own ticket to the playoffs. Instead they lost all three games. ALL THREE! In completely embarrassing ways. The team imploded, turned on one another. The head coach acted like he didn't know what was going on in the locker room. Whether he did know or did not know is equally condemning. He lost the team. Mark Sanchez finished at the bottom of the league statistically.

Typically it's the type of finish that has an organization cleaning house.

The aftermath for the Jets? Practically everyone keeps their job because no one wants to admit a mistake in personnel. And no more team captains because the ones the team had turned on one another.

I'm not bashing anyone for being optimistic. I'll probably build myself back up into a state of optimism before the preseason.

But right now I just don't see that anything has changed the "talk big before the game and fight amongst yourselves during the game" culture that reared it's ugly head in 2011. Unless Tim Tebow's presence somehow magically fixes it. Which, if his fans are to be believed, he just might do.[/QUOTE]

In 2008, the team could've stayed intact except for Shoddy needed to be fired. He didn't. We got rid of Mangini and Favre, drafted Sanchez and both the Jets and Sanchez paid for it by keeping Schoddy aboard. Rex is good for the team, but Schoddy stayed 3 years longer than he shouldíve.

And you're wrong. Good teams don't fire and rebuild after ONE letdown. You never pay attention to good teams, do you? Not every team makes the playoffs, sometimes bad teams squeek in and sometimes good teams barely miss it. Good teams regroup and get stronger. [I]Jets fans have been seeing teams that had potential get fired and torn apart and get rebuilt countless times because of this knee-jerk reaction by Jets fans and management STOP CLAMORING FOR COACHES TO GET FIRED UNLESS THEY ARE TRULY INCOMPETENT AND THE PLAYERS ARE TRULY AWFUL![/I] From top to bottom, most of the NFL is VERY close talent-wise. Itís about getting RESULTS. Getting hot and executing. Thatís what separates 1st from last in this league. Firing a team that has potential just because of an implosion late in the year. Football seasonís so short, a few games getting hot can win it all (see Giants or any Super Bowl team of late) or just miss the playoffs and be called absolute failures that need to be rebuilt (Jets, others). No further proof needs to be seen than the Jets and Giants before and after their game. Both were on the cusp and struggling. Both could catch fire or fail. What happened? The Giants caught fire and won a Super Bowl. And we lost that game and fizzled out of the playoffs and mocked to no end. Such is the NFL.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GuidoYaztremski;4480406]That's all true. It's also true it's a very tough division.;)[/QUOTE]

Every division is.

- Patriots: Best QB/Coach/OL in football. Defense is well-coached but has never been able to rebuild to their golden years. This team is more fragile than most people realize. It'll only go as far as Brady can take it, but one could've said that about the Colts before last season started.

- Bills: Have pieces. Added pieces. Problem is, football is only 16 games to get to the playoffs, and losing teams that sign a TON of free agents and draftees don't always win 1st year. Problem for the Jets as well, except the core or two deep playoff runs (and a few near misses) is intact and they added pieces in holes.

- Dolphins: They are flat out rebuilding. They could be surprsing (last years Bengals), or very disappointing (see '07 Dolphins... nah, not that bad. But bad.).

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Austin;4480369]And they just as easily could have been over .500...

Every team has three or so games they could have lost but won and three or so games they could have won but lost. Most NFL teams are essentially +/- three games in a given season.[/QUOTE]

Thank you.......

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Austin;4480369]And they just as easily could have been over .500...

Every team has three or so games they could have lost but won and three or so games they could have won but lost. Most NFL teams are essentially +/- three games in a given season.[/QUOTE]

Thing is, the really good teams have guys in place that make sure that they usually win those +/- games.