Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: This guy gets it.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ChrisChrusher#40;4480408]In 2008, the team could've stayed intact except for Shoddy needed to be fired. He didn't. We got rid of Mangini and Favre, drafted Sanchez and both the Jets and Sanchez paid for it by keeping Schoddy aboard. Rex is good for the team, but Schoddy stayed 3 years longer than he should’ve.

And you're wrong. Good teams don't fire and rebuild after ONE letdown. You never pay attention to good teams, do you? Not every team makes the playoffs, sometimes bad teams squeek in and sometimes good teams barely miss it. Good teams regroup and get stronger. [I]Jets fans have been seeing teams that had potential get fired and torn apart and get rebuilt countless times because of this knee-jerk reaction by Jets fans and management STOP CLAMORING FOR COACHES TO GET FIRED UNLESS THEY ARE TRULY INCOMPETENT AND THE PLAYERS ARE TRULY AWFUL![/I] From top to bottom, most of the NFL is VERY close talent-wise. It’s about getting RESULTS. Getting hot and executing. That’s what separates 1st from last in this league. Firing a team that has potential just because of an implosion late in the year. Football season’s so short, a few games getting hot can win it all (see Giants or any Super Bowl team of late) or just miss the playoffs and be called absolute failures that need to be rebuilt (Jets, others). No further proof needs to be seen than the Jets and Giants before and after their game. Both were on the cusp and struggling. Both could catch fire or fail. What happened? The Giants caught fire and won a Super Bowl. And we lost that game and fizzled out of the playoffs and mocked to no end. Such is the NFL.[/QUOTE]

Almost every off season in almost every sport there is a playoff team that loses a head coach. Orlando Magic come to mind this year in the NBA.

Firing a head coach is not necessarily a bad thing. It is of course in the minds of Jets fans. The organization has a history of being haphazard in who it keeps and who it lets go. However things sometimes get better when a coach is let go. Sometimes the new guy gets the team over the hump while the departing coach gets another shot elsewhere and finds success.

Tony Dungy leaving Tampa Bay and John Gruden taking over come to mind.

I agree with you success is about getting hot and executing. Consistency is the name of game right? When has this team been consistent? Each year under Ryan has been up and down followed by a playoff loss where the team comes out flat. You see one disappointing season, one letdown. I see three.

You want to blame Schotty. Fine, most people do. Just remember he was the guy that led the Jets to have a [URL="http://www.nfl.com/stats/team?seasonId=2009&seasonType=REG&Submit=Go"]number one rushing offense in 2009[/URL] with a sub 55% completion percentage QB.
    Last edited by jxc; 05-30-2012 at 04:55 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Austin;4480369]And they just as easily could have been over .500...

Every team has three or so games they could have lost but won and three or so games they could have won but lost. Most NFL teams are essentially +/- three games in a given season.[/QUOTE]Actually that is SO true. No team is as good or bad as the media would like you to believe. That's how close in talent all the teams actually are. There are just so many factors each season that go into whether a season is successful or not.

A perfect example of how history can be changed by chance events you just have to go back to the 1999 season for the Pats. Everyone knows that the Pats finished 8-8, Carroll gets fired and BB goes to the Pats. However few remember that during that season the Pats lost TWO games when the "best kicker of all time", Adam Venitieri clangs 2 kicks off the goal posts that would have won those games. 8-8 becomes 10-6, the Pats make the playoffs, Carroll keeps his job, BB stays with the Jets and the NFL completely changed....all because of 2 barely missed FG's

That's the beauty of the NFL, there are always those few plays that change every game. They are the beautiful IF'S. IF the Pats recover just ONE of those 3 fumbles. IF Maningham's foot was just 4 inches to the right that key pass is an incompletion. IF Brady makes just one more step to the right, its not a safety. IF Welker makes the catch. etc. etc

Fans have these beautiful IF's after every game. They give us hope. They ease the pain....or make it worse. ;) BUT the bottom line is NO TEAM, even the Phins, isn't good enough to beat you on a given Sunday.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;4480119]A 3 letter nimrod is leading a call to fire him though.[/QUOTE]
    +1

The article is a bit cosmetic in some areas but certainly contains more truth than they proliferating unreasonable criticism and negativity towards Rex by the pygmies

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    So to recap the article:

Jets are humble
    Tony Sparano
    Joe McKnight

SRSLY?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    pass rushers? how about coples and ellis?

[QUOTE=Toooon;4480144]While I appreciate Capellini's optimism, I disagree with most of his points. From glossing over Wayne Hunter as though last year was some fluke, to suggesting we suddenly have plenty of pass rushers (name one) to acting like Landry and Bell are somehow huge upgrades in pass coverage... and, seriously, people hated the Tebow trade because of the man and not because he is an awful QB? Amazing. I guess I just don't "get it."[/QUOTE]

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FF2;4480492]So to recap the article:

Jets are humble
    Tony Sparano
    Joe McKnight

SRSLY?[/QUOTE]

You've been here long enough.

The Jets have won their 43rd consectutive off-season championship once again.

I swear RayRay wrote that article. :yes:

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sameoldjets;4480498]pass rushers? how about coples and ellis?[/QUOTE]

You do realize that Coples and Ellis have the exact same number of NFL sacks as Vernon Gholston?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4480567]You've been here long enough.

The Jets have won their 43rd consectutive off-season championship once again.

I swear RayRay wrote that article. :yes:[/QUOTE]

And you've been here too long, jackass.

Your time will come.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4480577]You do realize that Coples and Ellis have the exact same number of NFL sacks as Vernon Gholston?[/QUOTE]

Well if you put it that way . . .

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    yep. i also realize that girlie boy brady is another year older and still has a suspect oline and a bad arm. not worried about coples and ellis along with wilkerson, devito and pouha et al. they have widened the gap.

[QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4480577]You do realize that Coples and Ellis have the exact same number of NFL sacks as Vernon Gholston?[/QUOTE]

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ray Ray19;4480591]And you've been here too long, jackass.

Your time will come.[/QUOTE]

Yea, enough to celebrate every single Jets off-season championships from 1999 since JI has been around.

Hey RayRay, serious question, when will the Jets accomplish something?

According to you, they are loaded this year. :rolleyes:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sameoldjets;4480498]pass rushers? how about coples and ellis?[/QUOTE]

They're certainly good prospects, but please explain how either one is in any way, shape or form an established pass rusher in the NFL? Not to mention they both play positions that traditionally don't generate pass rush in a 3-4 (DT and DE).

If you ask me for my best case scenario, it's that we go predominately 4-3 and Coples and Wilkerson both develop as bookend pass rushing DEs. But it is unrealistic to expect Coples to be a huge factor in his rookie year. And as long as we are predominately a 3-4 team, and Pace and BT are still the starting OLBs, we'll see the same weak pass rush we've seen since John Abraham left town 7 years ago.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4480614]Yea, enough to celebrate every single Jets off-season championships from 1999 since JI has been around.

Hey RayRay, serious question, when will the Jets accomplish something?

According to you, they are loaded this year. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Serious response, is this you?

[IMG]http://h22civic.com/pictures/funny/gfy.jpg[/IMG]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetJontos;4480277]Positive piece but I think the guy came up with a war theme and integrated it with optimism for the Jets, would have liked more detailed info on why he thinks we have gotten better. Especially since NE, Buff and maybe even the Dolfags have clearly have made forward progress personnel wise.[/QUOTE]

How exactly has New England, Buffalo, and Miami "clearly" made forward progress personnel wise? Mario Williams is a big name and Mark Anderson make their pass-rush better (we think), but was pass-rush really their main issue? They still have a second rate QB and an offense that can't get out of their own way.

The Dolphins? Really?

The Patriots got Brandon Lloyd. Another wide receiver. Because they were so depleted in the wide receiver area? And, before you tell me about their draft, remember that the Patriots have been one of the worst drafting teams in the NFL the last 5 years. Chandler Jones is as proven as Quinton Coples.

I think arguments could be made either way, but if you can't see the major overhaul the Jets have made as compared to the rest of the division, I believe you need to pay more attention.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jxc;4480392]Here's how this doom and gloomer sees it:
    In 2008 the Jets were 8-3. They had just beaten the best teams in the league. The "going to the Super Bowl" talk started.

But Favre's injured arm started slowing down the team. Yet they stuck with him.

And collapsed. Lost 4 of the last 5. [URL="http://www.nfl.com/schedules/2008/REG/JETS"]Missed the playoffs[/URL].

The aftermath? The coach and QB gone. Basically for one mistake: leaning on an injured Brett Favre.

This past season the team had three chances to sign their own ticket to the playoffs. Instead they lost all three games. ALL THREE! In completely embarrassing ways. The team imploded, turned on one another. The head coach acted like he didn't know what was going on in the locker room. Whether he did know or did not know is equally condemning. He lost the team. Mark Sanchez finished at the bottom of the league statistically.

Typically it's the type of finish that has an organization cleaning house.

[B]The aftermath for the Jets? Practically everyone keeps their job because no one wants to admit a mistake in personnel. And no more team captains because the ones the team had turned on one another.[/B]

I'm not bashing anyone for being optimistic. I'll probably build myself back up into a state of optimism before the preseason.

But right now I just don't see that anything has changed the "talk big before the game and fight amongst yourselves during the game" culture that reared it's ugly head in 2011. Unless Tim Tebow's presence somehow magically fixes it. Which, if his fans are to be believed, he just might do.[/QUOTE]

So who should have gotten fired?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sameoldjets;4480605]yep. i also realize that girlie boy brady is another year older and still has a suspect oline and a bad arm.[/QUOTE]

This is some funny $hit.

Brady just threw for the 2nd most yards in the history of the NFL and you say he has a bad arm? :rolleyes:

Suspect OLine? The Pats have a top 3 Oline in the NFL. The Jets would kill for the Pats Oline. :yes:

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sameoldjets;4480605]yep. i also realize that girlie boy brady is another year older and still has a suspect oline and a bad arm. not worried about coples and ellis along with wilkerson, devito and pouha et al. they have widened the gap.[/QUOTE]

First, change your name because as a Jets fan it doesn't help you win arguments against trolls. Second, you should not bust on Brady's arm; find a better argument to defend your views.

We can only hope that all these pics translate into starting jobs and help the Jets have a better and more productive (regular) season. Like most of us have realized by now, there are several holes that must be addressed before the season starts (PK, RT).

The Patriots are far ahead of us and you should probably stop talking smack about their QB until we beat them and win a SB
    Last edited by Sports; 05-31-2012 at 07:21 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Austin;4480369]And they just as easily could have been over .500...

Every team has three or so games they could have lost but won and three or so games they could have won but lost. Most NFL teams are essentially +/- three games in a given season.[/QUOTE]

+ 1000000000 Very intelligent post. Exactly what I have learned over the years. So many never understand it.