Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The annual surprise cuts thread

All Pro
    To the guys who are saying Sparano doesn't use FB's he absolutely did-and to great success-that guy Polite was money on every short yardage need to get the 1st down run he was ever called on to make-I don't think he ever DIDN'T convert one

Jets Insider VIP
    I think Killer-Keller could be traded! Even in todays OTAs the guy drops passes near the end zone!

I think Conner is gone as well as Trufant, Dexter Jackson, Dennis Landolt as well.

I think Vlad is safe as he will excel at OG. Perhaps the handwriting is on the wall for Brandon Moore. If Hunter keeps getting beat like a drum by a rookie like Coples, he could also be gone in camp. I expect Scotty McKnight to be long gone! Jay Richardson will not make the team!

I think we had a great draft and we signed a few excellent UDFA like Ryan Steed.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    Thanks for proving my point....
    I guess what I mean is if the coaches saw potential in him he would have been getting opportunities on the field. I said the same thing about pitotua. All I kept hearing was how good he was and what a force he was going to be, granted he was hurt one year but when he wasn't hurt he rarely sniffed the field and didn't do much when in action, then cut.

If a guy isn't playing and is healthy, chances are he isn't very good.

As much as I'd like to see Eric Smith get cut and replaced with a healthy Jim Leonhard, I don't see it happening.

John Conner is an interesting one. The guy is one-dimensional, but with a new emphasis on running the ball I think he stays

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFlaJets View Post
    To the guys who are saying Sparano doesn't use FB's he absolutely did-and to great success-that guy Polite was money on every short yardage need to get the 1st down run he was ever called on to make-I don't think he ever DIDN'T convert one
    He was cut the next year.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Powell might just suck. The transition for RBs is supposed to be the easiest. Anybody who questions his ability is being fair. That is not to say that won't become a productive player, but to this point he is what he is.

As for Ducasse, I think the plan is to hope that Soprano's magic pixie dust turns him into a competent player.

I hope he saves some of that dust for Hunter. Come to think of it, Soprano is going to have to work a lot of magic.
    He is a young player with very few carries and no weight training or OTAs/ minicamp last year. I think that is far fairer to say then anything else. He was not a high draft choice so he showed some warts in college. He needed time to develop and now he has had the time. Lets see what he is capable of. The OL he also played behind was not very well adapted either. All our RBs were down in production! just saying...

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    As much as I'd like to see Eric Smith get cut and replaced with a healthy Jim Leonhard, I don't see it happening.

John Conner is an interesting one. The guy is one-dimensional, but with a new emphasis on running the ball I think he stays
    Not if Ganaway shows any blocking ability.

Hopefully Josh Baker gets the HB/TE spot.

If a safety (Smith or someone else) gets cut, we HAVE to bring back Jim Leonhard.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by bcess View Post
    He was cut the next year.
    doesn't mean a thing as to what is being discussed here-The question is DOES Sparano use FBs or not-yes he does

All League
    I guess what I mean is if the coaches saw potential in him he would have been getting opportunities on the field. I said the same thing about pitotua. All I kept hearing was how good he was and what a force he was going to be, granted he was hurt one year but when he wasn't hurt he rarely sniffed the field and didn't do much when in action, then cut.

If a guy isn't playing and is healthy, chances are he isn't very good.
    You choose to view him one way, I choose another. We'll see what he's all about in Training camp. I have a feeling he's going to turn some heads, with a year under his belt.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    You choose to view him one way, I choose another. We'll see what he's all about in Training camp. I have a feeling he's going to turn some heads, with a year under his belt.
    Fair enough, I hope you are right

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFlaJets View Post
    doesn't mean a thing as to what is being discussed here-The question is DOES Sparano use FBs or not-yes he does
    They cut him before the 2011 season and the dolphins played the whole year without a FB. I think that is what people are referring to.

The only way Smith gets cut is during the season. Bell and Landry are playing a lot of downs and Josh Bush shows up looking like Ed Reed. He definitely makes it out of camp, for the reasons mentioned above.

I would love it if Ducasse gets cut, but the FO loves him and they didn't sign any veteran backups so it seems unlikely now.

I know it's early...

My surprise cuts are

John Connor
    Vlad ducasse
    Eric smith
    I'd be shocked. However, cutting people sends a clear message. You don't produce or compete...there is the door/pink slip!

Lets be honest, it's not really a surprise if a 4th string RB gets beat out, or a 3rd year OL who everybody refers to as a bust gets cut, or a much maligned former starter who has since presumably lost his starting job to FA pickups. These aren't really surprise cuts.

Cutting Moore or Scott would be a surprise. But I don't really see us doing anything like that. So my best answer is there probably won't be any true surprise cuts. Cause cutting Powell or McKnight or Ducasse isn't really a surprise.

Cut Ducasse, Conner, and E. Smith. Give Josh Baker the FB role, bring back Leonhard for cheap and give Revis what he wants.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    He is a young player with very few carries and no weight training or OTAs/ minicamp last year. I think that is far fairer to say then anything else. He was not a high draft choice so he showed some warts in college. He needed time to develop and now he has had the time. Lets see what he is capable of. The OL he also played behind was not very well adapted either. All our RBs were down in production! just saying...
    Fair enough.

Veteran
    I know it's early...

My surprise cuts are

John Connor
    Vlad ducasse
    Eric smith
    I'm still going with these 3.

Smith and Connor as cuts. Smith makes 3M which is way too much for a backup Safety.

Ducasse stays to start next year