Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The annual surprise cuts thread

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    No One knows what Bilal Powell can do? Dude got like 3 rushes last year?
    With an Oline that was horrible!
    Jets were 22nd running the ball last year.
    Supposedly Powell has great hands out of the backfield. The dude that used to run the Texans, that picked Mario Williams (can't think of his name) called him the best 4th round pick in that draft?
    Man, you guys are harsh!
    Now Ducasse on the other hand is a certifyable BUST!
    Another case of Tanny getting too cute & trying to look like a genius.
    Ross Tucker on NFL Sirius radio said the other day, & I quote
    "Vlad Ducasse is HORRIBLE!"
    This coming from an ex-NFL lineman
    Powell might just suck. The transition for RBs is supposed to be the easiest. Anybody who questions his ability is being fair. That is not to say that won't become a productive player, but to this point he is what he is.

As for Ducasse, I think the plan is to hope that Soprano's magic pixie dust turns him into a competent player.

I hope he saves some of that dust for Hunter. Come to think of it, Soprano is going to have to work a lot of magic.

All Pro
    Eric Smith absolutely won't get cut. He's good depth and a special teams ace, he will make the roster 100%.

I doubt it with Duccasse, if only because he was a second round pick and hasn't had a full offseason program. Tanny and co won't want to admit failure on that one yet -- I think he'll get one more season to show what he has. If he is cut, it's really telling IMO...

Conner is a good one. Sparano isn't big on fullbacks and he's not really dynamic enough to do much else.

Bilal Powell is a possibility. We drafted another RB and the lack of time Powell has gotten is borderline alarming. He's not super fast, not super strong, doesn't have any skills that set him apart.

Brandon Moore would surprise me if only becuase if we were to cut him I have no clue who'd fill that spot. But he's definitley on the decline.

I'll throw LaRon Landry out there -- I guess it's not likely given the way his contract is structured, but it would be interesting to see if we use a roster spot on him if he's not healthy at the beginning of the season.

there will be enough bubble position players based upon who Jet's signed and drafted...
    I would tend to think that S, OL, K, LB, WR , RB/FB are areas where competion could yield some changes....

Safety: Eric Smith is only player with knowledge of system and plays a huge role in special teams, Bell and Landry are the big 3.. If Landry starts on PUP, even more reason to keep Smith and perhaps sign another veteran..

OL: Ducasses should be cut. I think Hunter is best suited as a back-up, but let's see the two lineman brought in.. I think w/ injury to Slauson, don't see Jets ending Moore's carer just yet...

K: Josh Brown has a leg.... Folk is no lock.. he could be cut..

WR: think they would cut turner before schilens, but we shall se

LB: Mauga and McIntyre would be likely bubble players, however with Thomas coming of achilles... ILB will most like be area of substraction

rb/fb: Powell and Conner are most likely bubble players.. Neither are making any kind of money....

All League
    powell
    schilens

All League
    If the Jets decide to part ways with Connor, he would have trade value. I doubt they would just cut him.

Quote Originally Posted by MrJames View Post
    Eric Smith? 0.0%
    Smith will probably get a contract extension next season after he makes another 12 different Tight Ends look like pro bowlers.

Quote Originally Posted by bcess View Post
    I know it's early...

My surprise cuts are

John Connor
    Vlad ducasse
    Eric smith
    Connor - I'd be surprised. He's been a mediocre FB and a disappointment but he's the only starting caliber FB on the entire roster (besides Tebow ofcourse).

Suckasse - Jets take a cap hit of around $70K in dead money if he gets cut. That may be a drop in the bucket but it's something and if they're angling for a big free agent spending spree in 2013 they need all the cap room they can get.

Eric Sh*t - will probably get contract extension and a raise. Rex and Tanny want to have his baby.

The only 2 guys that could get cut that would surprise me is John Conner and Vlad.

The rest such as Eric Smith, Hunter etc wouldn't be a surprise in the least.

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyJet80 View Post
    powell
    schilens
    powell is an interesting name to throw in..

i've seen chaz's name thrown around a lot...would that really be shocking? i guess from a depth perspective it would be a surprise...but from a talent/body of work perspective it could come as somewhat expected.

All League
    I look at Powell as a Rookie RB.

Last year, he had No OTA's and no playbook, followed by a shortened Training Camp.

Also, throw in the fact that because of the shortened TC, the Coaching Staff had to focus on getting Greene, Tomlinson, & McKnight prepared for the season. Maybe they just didn't do a good job with Powell.

He never had a chance last year.

Quote Originally Posted by TurkJetFan View Post
    powell is an interesting name to throw in..

i've seen chaz's name thrown around a lot...would that really be shocking? i guess from a depth perspective it would be a surprise...but from a talent/body of work perspective it could come as somewhat expected.
    Why? B/C Chad Chitlins sucks?

Eric Smith stays given the uncertainty at S and the fact that he's a coach's favorite

I'd guess Ducasse is here for another year if for no other reason than to make the Front Office not look bad. I've always hoped he could develop into a G for the Jets for 2013. I think his size and strength would be the best fit there.

I don't know why Connor would be cut. A good blocking FB is a great plus for a running team. Why would Sparano want to get rid of that ?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    Eric Smith stays given the uncertainty at S and the fact that he's a coach's favorite

I'd guess Ducasse is here for another year if for no other reason than to make the Front Office not look bad. I've always hoped he could develop into a G for the Jets for 2013. I think his size and strength would be the best fit there.

I don't know why Connor would be cut. A good blocking FB is a great plus for a running team. Why would Sparano want to get rid of that ?
    Because Sparano is notorious for not using FBs in his offense. Similar to how Mike Martz never utilized TEs.

Rex Ryan's "personal" pick of John Connor is going nowhere, even if he deserves it.

McElroy gets cut, but shouldn't be such a surprise after he let out all the dirty laundry about the locker room.

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Why? B/C Chad Chitlins sucks?
    so i think we agree...which is why i dont know why it would surprise people if he was cut...

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    I look at Powell as a Rookie RB.

Last year, he had No OTA's and no playbook, followed by a shortened Training Camp.

Also, throw in the fact that because of the shortened TC, the Coaching Staff had to focus on getting Greene, Tomlinson, & McKnight prepared for the season. Maybe they just didn't do a good job with Powell.

He never had a chance last year.
    Great point- The pats have 2 RBS that were picked much higher than Powell that haven't seen much of the field, Ridley & Vareen.

Great point- The pats have 2 RBS that were picked much higher than Powell that haven't seen much of the field, Ridley & Vareen.
    both ridley and vareen at least pass my eye test and are fast. Powell has a lot more to prove than them imo. As a jets fan I feel like the young rbs on the pats will be just fine.

All League
    Thanks. I'm not saying that I know for sure that Powell is a sure thing... but I guarantee you he's not as bad as he's being portrayed here at JI...

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    Thanks. I'm not saying that I know for sure that Powell is a sure thing... but I guarantee you he's not as bad as he's being portrayed here at JI...
    If he was good why didn't he see the field? Other than to produce a goal line fumble.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by bcess View Post
    If he was good why didn't he see the field? Other than to produce a goal line fumble.
    Thanks for proving my point....