Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Rex at Stanley Cup

[QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4481853]They call their no cup having goalie "King..."[/QUOTE]

No Cup Henrik lives for another year!!!!

[QUOTE=SAR I;4481857]The Devils fan started the argument- go read Page 1 of this thread.

Every Rangers fan demands that the Rangers management fights hard to win a Stanley Cup, but we're not devastated when we come up empty because the win of '94 was so epic.

Every Jets fan should demand that the Jets management fight hard to win a Super Bowl, and we should be devastated when we come up empty because no one is alive to really remember how we won it once a long time ago.

Between the ages of 15 and 75 there are 60 years of active fandom. The leagues each have roughly 30 teams. Do the math. At best, during your lifetime, you should have the expectation to see exactly 2 Championships per sport. Sorry, right now I'm satisfied with the Rangers. Don't know what else to tell you. Same for the Yankees. Perhaps in 20 years I'll feel differently, feel like I do about the Jets.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Who are part of your "but we're not devastated" I know a bunch of Rangers fans that will tell you otherwise... This year was a tough one to lose...

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=FlagmanL11;4481886]Who are part of your "but we're not devastated" I know a bunch of Rangers fans that will tell you otherwise... This year was a tough one to lose...[/QUOTE]

My brother, the Ranger fan, was apoplectic. Chaps his ass that the Devils are such a great organization and he HATES Glen Sather.

Still can't believe Sather kept his job during all those years of ineptitude and pfail.

_

All Pro
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4481847]Mets fans lionize Mike Piazza and Rusty Staub. Two guys who never won anything.

Rangers fans lionize no post-Cup player.

Mets fans accept mediocrity because it's all they can ever hope for, the organization being so inept and another team in the same town so dominant.

Rangers fans fight mediocrity and they [I]are [/I]the dominant team in the town.

Mets fans aren't satisfied with their magical '86 World Championship because the Yankees have since won 5 and they care deeply about the Yankees.

Rangers fans are satisfied with their magical '94 Stanley Cup because it took 54 years and even though the Devils won 2 or 3 they don't care about the Devils.

The difference is [I]context[/I]. The Mets can win 10 World Series in a row, still not going to get a reaction from a Yankees fan. Yankees fans don't care about Mets fans. Giants fans don't care about Jets fans. Rangers fans don't care about Devils fans. It's how it goes for fans who can't wipe the stench of second-class-citizenship from their minds.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Too bad Messier is an Oiler, and willed that team to win over a goalie that wasn't even a rookie yet. Rangers never had a winner in my lifetime, accept for that hired gun.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4481879]All I have to say is, I'd like to thank the Good Lord for making me a Yankees fan.[/QUOTE]

Nothing personal but I really really hate that expression.

God didn't make you a fan of anything.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=JStokes;4481867]The Ranger fan took this thread in this direction because of an insecurity complex.

It's okay rooting for mediocrity.

It's what you pity met fans for all the time.

1969 was my first year watching baseball and that championship cemented my fandom. 1986 was all I ever needed after that because I witnessed it live and lived in the city--THAT was a magical season.

Anything else is gravy.

[/QUOTE]

Nice attempt at the turnabout but it's not going to work because the two situations, franchises, and fanbases are polar opposites. You keep looking for this "ah-ha" gotcha moment, and it's not there.

The current 2012 NY Rangers aren't being lauded, haven't done anything but go 10-10 in the playoffs despite a goaltender allowing 1.87 goals per game. They are a disappointment, lost to a low seeded team, didn't learn their Game 2 and Game 4 lessons from the first two series. Tortorella did a decent job, but it's been proven time and again that a crazy shot-blocking defense can't last a whole year plus a postseason. The Rangers top scorers went blank when we needed them most.

The sum total of the 1978-2012 NY Rangers franchise is very satisfying for any fan over the age of 30 due to the past miseries.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4481906]

The sum total of the 1978-2012 NY Rangers franchise is very satisfying for any fan over the age of 30 due to the past miseries.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Spoken like a true Met fan.

_

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.

Feel free to feel what you want.........

[IMG]http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/6798/11088217small.jpg[/IMG]

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=JStokes;4481876]When you say "we", WE understand that to mean you don't speak for all Ranger fans (other than you) that readily call him The King.

Ranger fans will be happy with the Vezina and Hart Trophys.

[/QUOTE]

Only a Mets fan would be happy with a Cy Young and an MVP with no World Series ring to go with it.

Individual accomplishments mean nothing.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4481919]Only a Mets fan would be happy with a Cy Young and an MVP with no World Series ring to go with it.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Like goals per game?

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=JStokes;4481913]Spoken like a true Met fan.

[/QUOTE]

Show me a Mets fan that was so satisfied with '86 that he doesn't need another World Series and I'd agree with you in this instance. You can't because the Mets are little brothers to the Yankees, got that on their minds, can't relax so long as the Yankees are so dominant.

Low Standards Mets fans are happy with a few Mike Piazza moments in a losing season. You can't find me a Rangers fan with a Petr Nedved poster, won't find a Rangers fan giving a standing ovation to a Manny Malholtra sighting at MSG.

SAR I

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=Apache 51;4481921]Like goals per game?[/QUOTE]

If used as some expression of pride, definitely.

The fact that Lundqvist allowed under 2 goals per game and the Rangers went 10-10 is a testament to their awful offensive futility, nothing more. We wasted brilliant goaltending and a strong defense because the team was built incorrectly. Eventually, you have to score goals and we have guys that don't do that in the postseason.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4481930]If used as some expression of pride, definitely.

The fact that Lundqvist allowed under 2 goals per game and the Rangers went 10-10 is a testament to their awful offensive futility, nothing more. We wasted brilliant goaltending and a strong defense because the team was built incorrectly. Eventually, you have to score goals and we have guys that don't do that in the postseason.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

So then you knew what the Rangers fate was before the playoffs began?

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4481919]Only a Mets fan would be happy with a Cy Young and an MVP with no World Series ring to go with it.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Yet you're happy with the 2011-2012 Rangers, or you feign indifference since "you already got yours".

Weird.

Just like a true Met fan.

_

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4481924]Show me a Mets fan that was so satisfied with '86 that he doesn't need another World Series and I'd agree with you in this instance. You can't because the Mets are little brothers to the Yankees, got that on their minds, can't relax so long as the Yankees are so dominant.

Low Standards Mets fans are happy with a few Mike Piazza moments in a losing season. You can't find me a Rangers fan with a Petr Nedved poster, won't find a Rangers fan giving a standing ovation to a Manny Malholtra sighting at MSG.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Low standard Ranger fans are happy with one cup 20 years ago, no difference than a Met fan happy with 1986.

Hey, I got mine in 1969 and 1986, I could give a crap about the Yankees dominance built on $$.

I got my 2003 NCAA Championship, don't care if Syracuse ever wins again. I'd like it, but UConn or GTown or St. Johns winning means nothing to me.

I got my Devils cups, could care less about the ineptitude of the Rangers, but it's nice seeing their fans squirm, feigning happiness that they "got their's" 20 years ago.

It's funny.

It amuses me.

Seeing low standard Ranger fans talking about the Mets.

_

[QUOTE=nj2socaljetsfan;4481684]Little does SAR know that most devils
    Fans hate the flyers way more then the rangers. Devils fans laugh at the rangers who haven't done anything for 15 years.[/QUOTE]

Who are the New York Rangers? Are they a hockey team? [I]If so, why are they not playing right now?[/I]

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=JStokes;4481938]Yet you're happy with the 2011-2012 Rangers, or you feign indifference since "you already got yours".

Weird.

Just like a true Met fan.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not happy with the '12 Rangers as they were the 1 Seed in the East and didn't beat a lower-seeded team in the Conference Finals. High standards on a season-by-season basis.

I'm happy with the 1978-2012 Rangers as they delivered me the Stanley Cup in that span. Satisfaction on a fan-lifetime-value standpoint.

Tonight's Carlos Beltran appreciation night at Citifield. You know, a player that left New York and won squat when he was here being honored by the New York little brother baseball team that always loses. Are you going? Bet you have a handmade poster with glitter on it, yes?

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4482175]I'm not happy with the '12 Rangers as they were the 1 Seed in the East and didn't beat a lower-seeded team in the Conference Finals. High standards on a season-by-season basis.

I'm happy with the 1978-2012 Rangers as they delivered me the Stanley Cup in that span. Satisfaction on a fan-lifetime-value standpoint.

Tonight's Carlos Beltran appreciation night at Citifield. You know, a player that left New York and won squat when he was here being honored by the New York little brother baseball team that always loses. Are you going? Bet you have a handmade poster with glitter on it, yes?

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Was never a fan, I got mine in 1986, but this new team is kind of entertaining at least until football starts. Baseball for me has taken a backseat to football and hockey and SU sports by a wide margin.

You realize being an ardent Met fan or an ardent Yankee fan means nothing in terms of how your team plays, right? Having "high standards" as a fan means nothing to on-field performance, right? It's infantile to say "I have high standards as a Devil fan and I demand excellence, therefore I get it because THAT'S the type of fan I am". Sounds kind of dumb. I guess you have low standards as a Ranger fan because they have shown nothing but ineptitude since you were 30.

You got lucky with a Yankee ownership group willing to spend anything to buy championships, so you can continue with your "high standards" schtick-- if you grew up an Oriole fan you'd be no better than a Met fan. My childhodd team happens to now have ownership that sucks balls and I'm hoping the Mets draw under a million fans this year and the Wilpons lose a fortune. Was rooting for Picard to take them for a billion dollars so they would have been forced to sell to an ownership group willing to spend like a NY franchise with no salary cap should.

Your Ranger fandom is just like Met fandom--no difference. My Devil fandom is just like your Yankee fandom. I just don't choose to revel in such stupidity, or use it as a schtick.

_

All Pro
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4482175]

[/QUOTE]

Confused as to why this would apply to the Rangers during this span, but not the Mets?

I don't even see why having incredibly high standards is such a good thing -- no team wins often enough for a championship or bust mentality to pay dividends, not even the mighty Yankees.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=JStokes;4482183]

My childhodd team happens to now have ownership that sucks balls and I'm hoping the Mets draw under a million fans this year and the Wilpons lose a fortune. Was rooting for Picard to take them for a billion dollars so they would have been forced to sell to an ownership group willing to spend like a NY franchise with no salary cap should.
    [/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://www.prizes1.com/New%20York%20Mets%20Baseball%20Vinyl%20No%201%20Hand.jpg[/IMG]

[I]That's[/I] the spirit!

SAR I