Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: When will you New Yorkers stand up to your Nanny Mayor?

Jets Insider VIP
    What did you expect from an asswipe that wrangled himself an illegal 3rd term? :rolleyes:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=quantum;4481712]What did you expect from an asswipe that wrangled himself an illegal 3rd term? :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I can't believe there wasn't a bigger uproar about this. Especially considering that right after 2001, when Giuliani's term was winding down, Rudy floated the idea of suspending term limits in order for him to deal with the aftermath. Now, I'm not a big fan of Giuliani or suspending term limits for that matter, but if there was ever a time to consider allowing a mayor to have a 3rd term, that would have been it. Bloomberg was the biggest opponent of allowing him to stay on. I'm not sure how he reconciled that position with pulling a 3rd term later on.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=FF2®;4481480]Lotta brilliance overflowing in the Hampur today.[/QUOTE]

This thread rocks....

I especially love how the sugar police are embraced by the sheeple. It's almost like, well,

[IMG]http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i227/BP_2006/ThatsFunnyChit.jpg[/IMG]

[QUOTE=The Boston Patriot;4481756]This thread rocks....

I especially love how the sugar police are embraced by the sheeple. It's almost like, well,

[IMG]http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i227/BP_2006/ThatsFunnyChit.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

**** ALL THIS. ITS NATIONAL ****ING DONUT DAY!!!!!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=crasherino;4481750]I can't believe there wasn't a bigger uproar about this. Especially considering that right after 2001, when Giuliani's term was winding down, Rudy floated the idea of suspending term limits in order for him to deal with the aftermath. Now, I'm not a big fan of Giuliani or suspending term limits for that matter, but if there was ever a time to consider allowing a mayor to have a 3rd term, that would have been it. Bloomberg was the biggest opponent of allowing him to stay on. I'm not sure how he reconciled that position with pulling a 3rd term later on.[/QUOTE]

He did it with the help of Quinn: she supports his 3rd term, he endorses her for next mayor. NY is chock full of corruption like this. NJ is not much better. Which makes the Port Authority, run by both states, 10x worse. lol :mad:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;4481174]You have the 12pm Sunday rule in NY???[/QUOTE]

No. That blue law was repealed years ago along with the law that prohibits liquor stores from opening on a Sunday. Beer can be purchased beginning at 8AM and liquor stores can open at noon on Sundays.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=crasherino;4481345]Sweet - I'm right around the corner. What's the reservation under? :)[/QUOTE]

Missed you last night, why didn't you show up? :P

Afterward we went to the Empire Hotel Rooftop Bar.

Wow, a LOT of talent there. :drool2:

_

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=JStokes;4482064]Missed you last night, why didn't you show up? :P

Afterward we went to the Empire Hotel Rooftop Bar.

Wow, a LOT of talent there. :drool2:

_[/QUOTE]

Sort of a funny story about that place....I have a friend from law school who bought a nice apartment right by the HOtel with one big drawback - the neon sign atop the hotel shined directly into her living room (perhaps bdrm too - I forget). When she first showed me the apartment, she rationalized it completely like "But its OK, right? Its one of those quirky NYC things, right? Maybe so, but it would have been a complete deal breaker for me personally....but everyone has their specific preferences and I'm sure she got a great deal on the place for precisely that reason.

Fastforward a couple of years and the sign is turned off during construction/reconfiguration of the place. It seems like it was permanently turned off - there were stories that the place was closing (or perhaps going condo, etc.) During that time, she sells the place. Must have made a fortune as she bought it at a depressed price b/c of the light and now its gone.

Not too long after she sold it, the light is now back on permanently. Some poor shmo has to deal with a really bright neon light shining into his apt 24/7 that he had no idea about. I guess the dude in question doesn't think its so funny.

I need to check out the rooftop - I haven't been yet, although I play squash around the corner and periodically have a drink at Ed's Chowder Bar after.

Veteran
    Back on topic, This law won't affect the people it's intended for. Don't most fat people order 2 Big Macs a Filet o Fish super-sized fries and a DIET COKE? :yes:

All Pro
    The SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is pleased to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and food stamps ever. :shakehead

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed The Animals." :eek:

They say that this is because the animals may grow dependent on handouts and not learn to take care of themselves. :coocoo:

Veteran
    if im really ****ing thirsty i should be able to drink all i want.

This is ****ing America, not soviet russia.

Bloomberg wants health? So let's have health.

Ban beer, wine and hard liquor in NYC totally.
    Ban processsed meats - cold cuts, bacon, sausage (including hot dogs at the ballpark and in stores).
    Ban cheese. Potato chips and all salty snacks.
    Ban ice cream.
    Ban whole milk.
    Ban all fruit drinks.
    Ban most juices - loaded with sugar.
    Ban margarine and butter. Sour cream also.
    Ban ALL forms of tobacco. harmful.
    Cereal with sugars. Gone.

Broccoli and carrot sticks at Yankee Stadium along with diet soda (caffeine free of course).

All Pro
    [QUOTE=palmetto defender;4482537]Bloomberg wants health? So let's have health.

Ban processsed meats - cold cuts, bacon, sausage (including hot dogs at the ballpark and in stores).
    Ban ice cream.
    Ban whole milk.
    Ban all fruit drinks.

Broccoli and carrot sticks at Yankee Stadium along with diet soda (caffeine free of course).[/QUOTE]

"Buy me some tofu and carrot sticks, I don't care if I never get sick and die from Type 2 Diabetes?"

Jets Insider VIP
    GIMMIE MY SODA!!

[IMG]http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/006/275/fatAmerican.jpg[/IMG]

Jets Insider VIP

Ban ice cream.
    Ban whole milk.
    Ban all fruit drinks.

Broccoli and carrot sticks at Yankee Stadium along with diet soda (caffeine free of
    course).[/QUOTE]

Im a big fan of broccoli and carrot sticks. Celery sticks too.

Delicious.

Ban ice cream.
    Ban whole milk.
    Ban all fruit drinks.

Broccoli and carrot sticks at Yankee Stadium along with diet soda (caffeine free of course).[/QUOTE]

Update to the soda ban...

[URL="http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/city-health-experts-weighing-extend-potential-big-soda-ban-fattening-snacks-article-1.1094600"]http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/city-health-experts-weighing-extend-potential-big-soda-ban-fattening-snacks-article-1.1094600[/URL]

[QUOTE]
    Why stop at soda, Mr. Mayor?

Health experts tasked with deciding the fate of Bloomberg’s supersized soda ban praised the plan Tuesday — and even questioned why it doesn’t go further to nix oversized juices, milk shakes and Hizzoner’s favorite snack — popcorn.

“Popcorn isn’t a whole lot better from the nutritional point of view than soda is, and may have even more calories,” said Dr. Bruce Vladeck, a member of the city’s Board of Health, at a meeting in Long Island City, Queens.

Vladeck and the 11 other members of the Board of Health voted to approve holding a public hearing on the ban next month.

The hearing is slated for July 24.

A final vote on the plan to restrict sugary drinks over 16 ounces in restaurants, movie theaters and sports arenas is expected to take place in September.

If the board green-lights the proposal, it would go into effect in March 2013.

Before the unanimous vote Tuesday, some board members suggested they’d be in favor of an even more expansive ban.

“I just want to second the concerns about excluding juice, even 100% juice, and milk-containing beverages . . . that have monstrous amounts of calories in them,” said Dr. Joel Forman.

“I’m not so sure what the rationale is not to include those.”

Earlier, city Assistant Health Commissioner Susan Kansagra extolled the virtues of the proposed ban in a PowerPoint presentation.

Kansagra noted that the city’s obesity crisis has hit epidemic levels, leading to 5,800 deaths a year and costing taxpayers $4 billion annually.

“Sugary drinks are the largest source of added sugars to our diet,” Kansagra said.

Pressed to explain why the ban doesn’t include milk and coffee-based drinks, Kansagra said those beverages — unlike soda — have nutritional benefits and are more satiating.

Several board members — all of whom are appointed by the mayor — signaled strong support for the measure, with only a couple voicing serious concerns.

Dr. Sixto Caro said he’s worried about the economic impact the proposal would have on small businesses and low-income New Yorkers.

“We are targeting the low-income small business rather than the big company,” Caro said.

Andrew Moesel, spokesman for the New York Restaurant Association, blasted the proposal after sitting through the hearing.

“We don’t know if next it’ll be 16 fries on a plate or only one hot dog a day,” said Moesel, adding that his group is considering legal action.

[/QUOTE]

Veteran
    stop the insanity!!....... oh wait :eek:

[QUOTE=Austin;4481097]Well here's the liberal argument -- obese people are a massive strain on healthcare, and rather than letting them suffer the consquences of their decisions we'd rather just make the decision for them.[/QUOTE]

The reality is that now that Obamacare changed health care from private to public in terms of the expenses we will inevitably need to begin legislating healthy choices and penalizing unhealthy behaviors. This is the natural and necessary evolution when you socialize healthcare. I can see more comprehensive bans or penalties on unhealthy behaviors as a natural progression. Fried foods might face a ban or at least a tax penalty. Cakes and sweets should have a special tax penalty. Also things like bags of potato chips and the like all banned or taxes heavily. Someone needs to pay for the medical care of the fatties. If healthcare was private it would be different. People would and should in that situation be allowed the freedom to choose how to eat and how to behave. If we are going to do the Obamacare socialized thing the it is just natural that anyone acting in a way that is not deemed healthful by the majority should be penalized or banned from doing so.

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4481193]Umm.

They already have laws like that, silly.

In NC, you can't liquor on Sundays.

Take that, Mr. Libertarian. Some of our most patriotic states have been destroying people liberties for hundreds of years based on the notion that they know whats best for you ;)

Oh. And BTW...because (in my usual form) I have not stated my opinion on the soda ban, I will do so now.

It is stupid to ban it.

:P:D;)[/QUOTE]

No liquor on Sunday in NC? That must just be you PK. You may be acting suspicious. I had a very good margarita at a NC place not 30 days ago.
    Here in Charleston alcohol is ok everyday, including The Lord's Day, 11AM to 2 AM. Brunch is important after all.

[QUOTE=chiefst2000;4490486]The reality is that now that Obamacare changed health care from private to public in terms of the expenses we will inevitably need to begin legislating healthy choices and penalizing unhealthy behaviors. This is the natural and necessary evolution when you socialize healthcare. I can see more comprehensive bans or penalties on unhealthy behaviors as a natural progression. Fried foods might face a ban or at least a tax penalty. Cakes and sweets should have a special tax penalty. Also things like bags of potato chips and the like all banned or taxes heavily. Someone needs to pay for the medical care of the fatties. If healthcare was private it would be different. People would and should in that situation be allowed the freedom to choose how to eat and how to behave. If we are going to do the Obamacare socialized thing the it is just natural that anyone acting in a way that is not deemed healthful by the majority should be penalized or banned from doing so.[/QUOTE]

Before Obamacare I'm pretty certain doctors and hospitals were billing the crap out of Medicare and Medicaid patients who were directly covered by taxes.

I have the right to a seat on the bus not a seat and a half. I'm not a fan of the Mayor doing this but I do think we should stop subsidizing corn production and keeping the price of sugar and corn syrup artificially low. I would prefer we tax sugar like we tax cigarettes if the science shows a significant health risk and societal cost associated with that additional risk.
    Last edited by Winstonbiggs; 06-13-2012 at 12:21 PM.