Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Training Camp dept. : Top training camp positional showdowns ~ ~ ~

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    Agreed, except I would replace RB with OLB and pass rush in general. You can't assume Coples will be a huge factor, just like Wilkerson wasn't last year. It is simply mind boggling to me that BT and Pace remain our starters at OLB after so many years of utter mediocrity.
    If i believed the Jets were going to feature the 34 as a base,i would agree but the draft told me on that day what was going to come.The Jets now have 4 players who can protect the Maybin's and Sapp's of their new defense.The pass rush imho is no longer expected to come from the OLbers,but from everywhere featured by the front 4.

Oh,and take this to the bank,Coples is going to be special and it's going to allow Mo Wilks to take his game to that next level.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    ... oh , and by the way,
    as jordy & sg3 can tell you guys ;
    i always look good. real good

At least you got them to agree on something. No small feat

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    From a different vantage point.

RT

FS

WR (talent but no proven nfl production outside of holmes who has his own outside the lines concerns)

oline depth

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Not really worried about the defense, it was 5th last year, the offense was 25th. The Jets skill positions on offense are the biggest concern IMO. That said, here's my list:

QB
    WR
    RB
    RT
    S

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Not really worried about the defense, it was 5th last year, the offense was 25th. The Jets skill positions on offense are the biggest concern IMO. That said, here's my list:

QB
    WR
    RB
    RT
    S
    i think we're ok in our RB dept.

~ ~ well, .. at least.... i hope we are

cheers ~ ~

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    If i believed the Jets were going to feature the 34 as a base,i would agree but the draft told me on that day what was going to come.The Jets now have 4 players who can protect the Maybin's and Sapp's of their new defense.The pass rush imho is no longer expected to come from the OLbers,but from everywhere featured by the front 4.
    I see this as well. A move to a base 4-3 will play to the Jets strengths (DL) and minimize one of the team's most glaring weaknesses - the lack of OLB pass rush.

Who knows if Bryan Thomas will even make it out of camp due to his injury ? And Pace is big enough to play DE in a 4 man front. So look for him to be in that rotation as well.

Our greatly improved DL talent makes me much less concerned about the OLB position next season.
    Last edited by lageman4ever; 06-19-2012 at 07:21 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Starting QB has to be the #1 on the list. Which Sanchez will show up next season ? The guy who led us to two AFC championship games or the inaccurate, turnover-prone QB who's passer rating is among the bottom third of starting NFL QB ?

Furthermore I'd say the #2 QB position is also a huge concern. Tebow's lack of accuracy is a well known flaw which was demonstrated as recently as our last OTA's. If Sanchez goes down the Jets are absolutely screwed since Tebow can not run our base offense.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post
    3.) I agree once again, but also feel that (if healthy) both Bell and Landry are improvements/upgrades over Leonhard (who was/is undersized) and Smith (who's too slow, doesn't have a lot of range and has never been the quickest safety in the world). If healthy, Bell and Landry can become the strongest safety due we've yet to see under coach Ryan. I understand LaRon has injury concerns, but it's a low risk-high reward type of signing/situation. If healthy? Landry can feast.

I'll bet Landry plays no more than 1/2 the season. Our D will be much improved with Landry but I don't think the Jets can count on him. Look for Bell, Smith and rookie Josh Bush to be our main rotation at Safety.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    1. QB
    2. RT
    3. backup QB
    4. FS
    5. kicking game

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    1. QB
    2. RT
    3. backup QB
    4. FS
    5. kicking game
    re our " backup QB " dept. ; we're set there

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Link : The Importance of Blocking TEs

All of his tidbits are thought-provoking in his most recent Take 5 piece, but Rich Cimini writes about the trouble spots on the Jets roster right now and the Jets are going to have to consider how they move forward at the spot.

Honestly, did you ever think we’d be wondering how the Jets will replace Matthew Mulligan? Right now, they don’t have a pure blocking tight end on the roster. The No. 2 is Jeff Cumberland, a former college wide receiver with limited blocking skills. Look for the Jets to add a veteran at some point. A silver lining: Contrary to popular belief, new OC Tony Sparano isn’t married to two-tight end formations. The Dolphins used two-plus tight ends for only 267 plays last season, fewer than all but six teams, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

Point of clarification.
    The biggest difference is that the #1 and #2 TEs on the depth chart in Miami weren’t from the same pedigree that Keller and Cumby are from — converted WRs. Fasano’s core skill set is in blocking, so the need for a Double TE set is lessened by Fasano’s strength at blocking.I fully expect the Jets will give Cumberland every chance to establish himself as the physical blocking presence before they snap someone up during the summer like they did with Ben Hartsock a few years back. Also, look to see if the Jets consider Josh Baker in that role … he might have the right skillset to be the team’s blocker, but might need to be thrown into the deep-end to see if he can step up.

> http://www.thejetsblog.com/2012/06/1...e-of-blocking/

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow D. Ganaway, Josh Brown, R.Sapp, Q.Coples, E. Lankster, Royce Adams & John Griffin ~

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    cheers

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    CB Ellis Lankster – The Jets were interested in signing Drew Coleman after he was cut by the Jacksonville Jaguars. However, that was before they saw Lankster compete during OTA’s and Minicamp. After Lankster impressed with his speed, versatility (can play defense and special teams), and his improvement since last season, the Jets announced that Lankster was going to be their fourth CB this season. Lankster, 25, was a 7th round draft pick by the Buffalo Bills in 2009. He is an inspiration to millions, as he is currently suffering from stuttering. While, Lankster could easily have given up, he has done quite the opposite, working with young kids to help them cope with their stuttering problems. The Jets are expecting Lankster to play a big role on defense this season, so he is definitely someone to keep an eye on during training camp.
    Could you imagine him and Slauson getting into a shouting match?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    jets should mic up Slau & Lank just for shi8s & giggls...

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ellis Lankster is a guy that jumped out at me last pre-season, I think this kid has great ball skills and would love to see him play a full 16 game season on the active roster, i think he will pay big dividends in the Jets secondary.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post

"K-k-k-k-k-k-k-k-k-k-kiss my a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-ass, Slaus-s-s-s-s-s-son!"

"Go f-f-f-f-f-f-f-f-f-f-f-f-f-f*ck yours-s-s-s-s-s-self, you piece of sh-sh-sh-sh-sh-sh!t!"

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    cheers
    nooooooo ! !

like this :

cheers ~ ~

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    5 under-the-Radar players as New York Nears Training Camp

The Jets are looking to rebound from a disappointing 2011 campaign. They missed the playoffs after having aspirations of winning the Super Bowl.

Besides the big names on the team, there are a few Jets that could surprise some people. Here are five under-the-radar players that could do big things for New York in 2012 :

Aaron Maybin

Other than Tebow, Maybin easily has the most intriguing story on the team.

Selected 11th overall in the 2009 NFL draft, the Penn State grad was brought to the Buffalo Bills to bring some much needed uniformity to their troubled defensive line. Instead, Maybin underachieved and found himself waived after the second of his five-year contract.Heading into the third season of his career and already a massive disappointment, the Jets brought Maybin onto the roster only to cut him a week later. Twenty-one days after that, he was called up once again by the Jets and he did not disappoint, ending the season with the most sacks on the team (six), while creating all sorts of pressure on opposing quarterbacks and offensive lines.Being listed at 6-foot-4 and 240 pounds, he is very agile and quick for his size. Maybin will look to continue his new found success next season.

Jeremy Kerley

By the end of the 2011 season, Santonio Holmes and Plaxico Burress were failing to perform to the level of top NFL wide receivers. Kerley became the most consistent wide receiver on the Jets.Only going into his second year of pro ball, he will be looked upon to fill the gap of Burress' departure, and will look forward to embracing his new role. Kerley, only 5-foot-9 will be looked upon to stretch the field for New York since he is their fastest receiver.He will also impact their special teams. Given the exits of most of the teams' notable kick and punt returners, Kerley will look to re-grasp his college roots as a main returner and top wide receiver, and will look to have similar success as he did with TCU.

John Conner

"The Terminator" is back and who wouldn't be afraid of the 5-foot-11, 245 pound fullback out of Kentucky.

Conner has proven in his first two years that he is more than capable of filling in for all-time great Jets fullback Tony Richardson's shoes. He's known not only for being a reliable blocker, but perhaps one of the most feared physical blockers in the NFL.Conner won't get too many calls when Tebow is on the field, but will definitely be in the backfield supporting Sanchez every chance he can get.

Brandon Moore

The 10-year veteran right guard out of Illinois will be under the spotlight in a way that he's not necessarily used to. He will be taking on the daunting role of covering Tim Tebow's blind side this season, and the lineman who has started every game for the Jets since 2005 will be more than ready to take on the challenge.Moore has anchored the running game for the Jets that has been both the best and worst in the league since '05. Given his experience in the NFL, the Jets are in for another good rushing year on the right side.

Hopefully, for New York, some of his consistency rubs off on struggling fellow lineman Wayne Hunter.

Kyle Wilson

Regarded as the best cornerback in the 2010 Draft, Wilson is still getting used to covering big time receivers.However, with the help of perennial Pro Bowl corners Darrelle Revis and Antonio Cromartie, New York fans can see the oppositions receivers completely stymied this season if Wilson plays like his fellow corners. However, only at 25 years of age, the former Boise State Bronco still may have quite a bit to learn given the slow increase of interceptions, tackles, and defensed balls from his first to second season.

Still, look for him to be a factor on the outside to the teams overall success.

> http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/3566...ow-sanchez.htm