Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Training Camp dept. : Top training camp positional showdowns ~ ~ ~

Hall Of Fame

Arrow Training Camp dept. : Top training camp positional showdowns ~ ~ ~

Kellybot,

I know I shouldn’t blame you as you are a computer program and aren’t even aware of what you are posting/linking…
    but it would have been nice if they programmed you better.
    The link you provided is a video and not an article.

I just tried to see and it blasted sound through my computer’s speakers…
    Not exactly the best timing here at work.

Thanks dick.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    Kellybot,

I know I shouldn’t blame you as you are a computer program and aren’t even aware of what you are posting/linking…
    but it would have been nice if they programmed you better.
    The link you provided is a video and not an article.

I just tried to see and it blasted sound through my computer’s speakers…
    Not exactly the best timing here at work.

Thanks dick.
    should YOU be on this site while you're working/at work ? ?

thanx twisted-sister

Hall Of Fame

Talking

Want to see Tebow ?
    Now you can

The Jets announced Monday that two minicamp practices next week will be open to the public.

The three-day minicamp, which is mandatory for players, runs from June 12-14 at the team's facility in Florham Park, N.J. The public is invited to watch practice on the 13th and 14th. The gates open at 10 a.m., with practice starting at 11 a.m.

Admission and parking are free.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...ow-now-you-can

Hall Of Fame

~ ~ Register now for Sanchez-Tebow QB camp !

For the third consecutive year, Mark Sanchez is holding his offseason passing camp with Jets teammates in California. This year an exciting new guest is scheduled to appear: Tim Tebow!

ESPN Playbook imagines what the camp’s brochure looks like. ^ ^

> http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/fan...-tebow-qb-camp

Hall Of Fame
    Josh Brown trying to replicate old ways in competition with Nick Folk

> http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...g_to_repl.html

Quote Originally Posted by kelly View Post
    should YOU be on this site while you're working/at work ? ?

thanx twisted-sister
    Big balls coming from a dude who pretends to be a girl from Denmark, don’t you think?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    Big balls coming from a dude who pretends to be a girl from Denmark, don’t you think?

hi sg3 ! !

Hall Of Fame
    Some quick takes on the ninth and final OTA practice :

1. This practice served as a sobering reminder that learning a new offense isn't an overnight process. To be kind, it was ugly. In team drills, the offense ran seven pass plays before it completed a ball. The Jets have a basic grasp of Tony Sparano's system, but it takes more than that to handle a Rex Ryan-coached defense. This practice was devoted to third down, traditionally when Ryan's defense is at its best. That's when it confuses opponents with exotic blitzes, funky fronts and disguised coverages. They threw the kitchen sink at the Mark Sanchez- and Tim Tebow-led offenses, and they simply weren't able to adjust on the fly. If this were late August, there would be reason to be concerned, but there's plenty of time to get things ironed out.

2. I tell you what, Tebow is going to be a tough dude to tackle when he gets outside the pocket -- but I guess we knew that already, right? Well, this was our first up-close look at his scrambling ability. Because his protection was so porous, he had to do a lot of scrambling, and he definitely cuts an imposing figure in the open field -- 6-foot-3, 240 pounds. Santonio Holmes referred to Tebow as "the run quarterback."

3. The defense used a '46' package during one period -- basically, an eight-man front, with linemen over the center and two guards. Ryan believes he has the personnel to play the '46,' and he expects to use it more than previous seasons. Rookie DE Quinton Coples stood up as a linebacker in certain packages.

4. Nice practice by WR Patrick Turner, who got extra reps because of the injury to rookie Stephen Hill (hamstring). Slot WR Jeremy Kerley also made a nice play (there weren't many), beating CB Darrelle Revis on a skinny post for a long gainer. Kerley had been quiet in the OTAs, as Ryan noted. This was a positive step.

5. S Yeremiah Bell always seems to be making plays. He might turn out to be a better acquisition than many predicted.

6. Ryan raved about his defense, calling it the deepest unit he's had in four seasons. They definitely have more depth than ever on the line and at inside linebacker, but I'd say the depth is suspect at outside linebacker, cornerback and safety (depending on LaRon Landry's health).

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...rk-in-progress

Hall Of Fame

Hall Of Fame
    Long Shots :
    Isaiah Trufant , a football journey

> http://www.thejetsblog.com/2012/06/0...tball-journey/

Hall Of Fame
    3 things to watch at Jets minicamp

The New York Jets will begin their three-day, mandatory minicamp on Tuesday, and the AFC East blog is hitting the road to take in all the action. This is the last chance to see the Jets before the opening of training camp later this summer.

Here are three things we will definitely keep an eye on this week :

No. 1 : The quarterbacks

This goes without saying. Incumbent starting quarterback Mark Sanchez won the first round by outperforming backup Tim Tebow in organized team activities. That is a great sign for Sanchez. But he must keep that momentum going during this week's three-day minicamp. Tebow also has to continue to improve, because the Jets and new offensive coordinator Tony Sparano wants to use Tebow in some capacity.

No. 2 : Safety play

The Jets are projected to start two new safeties acquired in free agency this year: LaRon Landry and Yeremiah Bell. Landry, who is still rehabbing his Achilles, has been missing from most OTAs, and his role for minicamp isn't known. But Bell already is making plays in Jets camp. If Landry is out or limited, Eric Smith will work with the first team. Smith needs to stay ready as the third safety considering Landry's history of injuries.

No. 3 : Rushing the passer

This is probably the hardest thing to gauge in minicamps without contact. The quarterbacks cannot be touched and players on both sides are very careful about that. But I will be keeping my eye on any new tweaks and improvements the Jets are doing with their pass rush. Is there anything schematically the Jets are doing to wreak more havoc? What about young guns like first-round pick and defensive end Quinton Coples adding to the pile? If the Jets can better get to the quarterback, there won’t be much New York’s top-five defense isn’t capable of.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post...-jets-minicamp

Hall Of Fame
    Minicamp : Just the important stuff

After four weeks of voluntary practices, the Jets move into the next phase of the offseason. On Tuesday, they begin a three-day, mandatory minicamp.

Actually, players were required to take physical exams Monday. From Tuesday to Thursday, it'll be classroom and field work in their first and only minicamp of the offseason.

Things to watch :

• The new Sparan-O. The offense ended last week on a down note, bumbling its way through an OTA practice last Thursday. Several players immediately pointed to the minicamp as a chance to redeem themselves. New offensive coordinator Tony Sparano is installing a new system, and there's bound to be good days and bad days for a unit coming off a six-year run in the same system. TE Dustin Keller said they have the potential to be "explosive and unstoppable" once they master Sparano's scheme.

• The QB non-competition. Mark Sanchez is No. 1, Tim Tebow No. 2. Tebow is no closer to unseating Sanchez than he was on the day he arrived in the trade. The pertinent question is, how much of the Wildcat package will be installed in minicamp? In nine OTA practices, they ran only two Wildcat-type plays for Tebow, per Rex Ryan. Rest assured, that total will grow.

• Long, lost safety. New safety LaRon Landry, a stranger during the voluntary workouts, is expected to report for minicamp. He participated in a few workouts early in the offseason program, according to Ryan, but he wasn't around for the OTA practices. This is nothing new for Landry; during his years with the Redskins, he was incommunicado in the offseasons. Landry, rehabbing a non-surgical Achilles tendon injury, probably won't get on the field, but his presence will give team docs a chance to assess his recovery.

• Tone time. WR Santonio Holmes, who made headlines last week by removing himself from a practice because he felt fatigued, will get another crack at it. Why do I think we'll be counting reps?

• The rookies. DE Quinton Coples, their No. 1 pick, has impressed teammates with his size and speed and technique. WR Stephen Hill, a second-round pick, has impressed for the same reasons, but he was nursing a hamstring injury last week and could be iffy for minicamp. We're going to have an eye on former Raiders WR Chaz Schilens, who has been turning heads.

On Wednesday and Thursday, the practices are open to the public.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...mportant-stuff

Hall Of Fame
    What (Josh) Brown can do for the Jets

The Jets were so determined to bring in competition for incumbent PK Nick Folk that they reached out to Josh Brown only 10 minutes after he had been released by the Rams during the draft. Once he cleared waivers, Brown signed with the Jets, creating a true open competition at kicker.

Folk vs. Brown, two proven veterans.

"I've never been in a serious competition," Brown told me last week at OTAs. "This will be my 10th season and I've never had someone that legitimately pressed me."Brown, 33, was deemed expendable when the Rams drafted Greg Zuerlein of Missouri Western in the sixth round. Besides the Jets, Brown had only one other option -- the Texans, but they, too, drafted a kicker. He picked the Jets, knowing a competition wouldn't be influenced by money because their 2012 salaries are relatively close -- Folk $765,000, Brown $855,000. Both are on one-year contracts.

"If Nick and I are close, they make a comfort decision," Brown said. "It's not an issue of money, it's an issue of performance -- and it should be an issue of performance. This was the best opportunity to where I would totally get a chance to be judged solely on performance."Brown is an 81 percent career kicker on field goals (he spent the last four seasons in a dome), although his percentage dropped to 75 last season in St. Louis. Folk, 27, is a 78 percent kicker who finished at 76 percent last season.

This is a weird dynamic for Brown because, even though the competition won't be settled until the preseason, he knows every kick in every practice is scrutinized."It's very foreign," he said. "I want to impress every single day. I want to know what they're getting. I want them to have confidence that, when I go on the field, they don't have to watch."

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...o-for-the-jets

Hall Of Fame
    Since Ben Hartsock was cut last year, the Jets have been looking for a competent blocking Tight End who can take on the second spot on the depth chart behind Dustin Keller. Since the Jets picked up Jeff Cumberland (6-4, 260 lbs.) as an UDFA from Illinois back in 2010, the team has been grooming him for a larger role. While 2011 was cut short for Cumberland due to injury, a quick look at the roster would indicate he’s the player the team is expecting to take on the role in 2012.Brian Costello spoke with the Jets Tight End to get a sense of how ready he is for this season, recovering from his Achilles injury last year and learned what Cumberland is working on for 2012.

I caught up with Jeff Cumberland last week, who missed most of last season after tearing his right Achilles tendon in Week 3 against the Raiders. Cumberland, a wide receiver in college, has always been viewed as more of a receiving tight end. But the Jets are counting on him to improve his blocking to play opposite Keller.

“The main thing is blocking, getting my blocking techniques coming off the ball down pat,” Cumberland said. “Blocking, as of now, has been my main goal to get better at. I feel like I’m progressing. I’m not where I want to be yet. I feel like I’m progressing day by day as we go.”

I get the sense that the Jets want to give Cumberland every chance to be the team’s second Tight End, but as Costello astutely notes, it’s going to take Cumberland improving his ability to block for the Jets to go into the season with him fully installed in that role. Cumberland might have been a receiver first in college, but his size has led the Jets to think that he can be trained up into the more physical blocking role. I’d have to imagine it’s harder to learn how to be athletic and catch than be athletic and block.The Jets will do their best to work with and coach up Cumberland, but can’t be afraid to find a veteran player like Hartsock during cutdowns if they think the young player is not up to the task. Last year, all the signs pointed to Matthew Mulligan taking over the blocking job from Ben Hartsock, and unfortunately Mulligan was not able to execute his role effectively last season and it showed in the overall line’s performance.

> http://www.thejetsblog.com/2012/06/1...-his-blocking/

Hall Of Fame
    Landry (remember him ?) shows up

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- LaRon Landry, who skipped all the voluntary practices, showed up Tuesday for the Jets' three-day minicamp, but the safety didn't participate in practice because of an Achilles tendon injury from last season.Because it's a mandatory minicamp, Landry would've been subject to a fine if he didn't show. He didn't speak to reporters after practice. His teammates were "giving him the business a little bit," according to Rex Ryan.

Ryan seemed hesitant when asked about Landry's physical condition, possibly because the team simply doesn't have a lot of information. The former No. 1 pick of the Redskins, who signed a one-year, $3.5 million contract in free agency, has decided to rehab on his own.Ryan said they never expected Landry to be ready for minicamp, so in that sense, he isn't behind schedule. Beyond that, Ryan couldn't give many details. He said they hope Landry is ready for training camp in late July, but he couldn't say for sure.

Ryan supported Landry's decision to work out away from the facility, which could cost him a $100,000 workout bonus."To his credit, he's doing what he thinks will give him the best opportunity to be successful in the fall," Ryan said. "I know his heart is in the right place. I know he wants to be healthy. He knows it's a critical year for him, a critical year for us and we need him out there."

Because he skipped almost the entire offseason (he showed up for a couple of early workouts in April), Landry has missed a significant amount of classroom time. As a result, he's far behind, trying to learn a new defensive system. The Jets are counting on Landry to start with Yeremiah Bell, but it's also possible they will employ a three-safety rotation with Landry, Bell and Eric Smith."It's good to have him here," Bell said of Landry. "We feel now, on the back end, that we're complete. Me, him and Smitty, we all see we're going to fit into this defense somehow. We all want to be in the game at the same time, and I'm sure in some packages (we will be)."

Every player under contract reported to the minicamp.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...r-him-shows-up

Hall Of Fame
    Jets announce training-camp dates

As expected, the Jets will report to training camp in Cortland, N.Y., on July 26, the team announced Wednesday.

The team didn't provide a full camp schedule, only a few key dates. The first open practice is July 28, the annual Hofstra practice is Aug. 21 and two practices in Florham Park, N.J., are open to the public -- Aug. 23 and 24.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...ing-camp-dates

Quote Originally Posted by kelly View Post

~ ~ Register now for Sanchez-Tebow QB camp !

For the third consecutive year, Mark Sanchez is holding his offseason passing camp with Jets teammates in California. This year an exciting new guest is scheduled to appear: Tim Tebow!

ESPN Playbook imagines what the camp’s brochure looks like. ^ ^

> http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/fan...-tebow-qb-camp
    This article already posted on JI thousand times already 2 weeks back and isn't funny anymore. Have a look around and kindly don't post old articles.