Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Darrelle Revis bristles at deal talk

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Darrelle Revis bristles at deal talk

Merge with OTA thread if you like, but I thought Revis should get his own thread.

[B]Darrelle Revis bristles at deal talk[/B]

[url]http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/7993415/darrelle-revis-guarantee-new-york-jets-camp[/url]

[QUOTE]FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Three weeks after claiming he's happy with his contract, Darrelle Revis fueled a new round of speculation Thursday by refusing to guarantee he will report to training camp.

Walker: Revis Needs to Make Call
    Darrelle Revis' stance/non-stance on his contract issues this offseason is leaving everyone confused and only creating more questions, James Walker writes. Blog

"I don't know," Revis said after the Jets' OTA practice. "That's all I'm telling you. I don't know if I am or I'm not. I told you that a while back."

In late April, Revis hinted he might stage another holdout. In 2010, he missed training camp because of an acrimonious contract dispute that ended with him signing a one-year extension to the three years that remained on his rookie deal -- a new package of $46 million over four years. He has two years, $13.5 million remaining, but there were indications this offseason that he wanted a new deal.

Three weeks ago, Revis squashed the speculation by telling reporters that he's "cool" with his current deal, adding, "I signed it two years ago. I'm not unhappy about nothing."

When it was brought up Thursday in the locker room, Revis said, "Here we go with the contract questions." He continued, "I'm here and I'll be playing. I'm getting ready for this season, that's all I can do. Anything with my contract, we'll deal with that in the future. Right now, I have to get prepared for this year."

He sounded like he had moved past any lingering contract issues. But when asked if the matter is history, Revis bristled, saying he already had made his feelings clear. He reiterated that he's preparing for the season. But when asked point-blank if he'll show up on Day 1 of training camp in late July, he turned noncommittal.

Asked why he couldn't give a firm commitment, Revis said he didn't want to answer.[/QUOTE]

[B]Jets CB Darrelle Revis Says He May Not Report to Camp on Time[/B]

[url]http://www.nflgridirongab.com/2012/05/31/jets-cb-darrelle-revis-says-he-may-not-report-to-camp-on-time/[/url]

[QUOTE]Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis faced questions again at today’s practice regarding his contract and a potential holdout prior to this year’s training camp according to Conor Orr of the Newark Star-Ledger.

Mum as usual, the cornerback would not guarantee his presence for the first day in Cortland when asked directly.

“What’s the point?” Revis said when asked if he could say he’d be in Cortland for the start of camp. “I’m getting ready for the season. You keep on stabbing at the same thing.”

Revis was asked again.

“I don’t know, that’s all I’m telling you,” he said. “I don’t know if I am or not. I told you that a while back ago. So okay, I’m getting ready for this season, alright?”

Revis would not say whether there was any issues lingering with his deal.

“If something is lingering, you will find out,” he said. “It’s going to be written, it’s going to be in the papers.

“Like I just said, I’m getting ready for this year, and that’s all I’m focused on is getting ready for this year. Whatever happens in the future happens. That’s all I can tell you right now.”[/QUOTE]

[B]Darrelle Revis doesn’t know if he’ll hold out from training camp[/B]

[url]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/31/darrelle-revis-doesnt-know-if-hell-hold-out-from-training-camp/[/url]

[QUOTE]Two years after holding out of training camp before getting a new contract, Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis isn’t sure if he’s going to do it again.

Revis was asked today if he will definitely report to training camp on Day One, and he answered, “I don’t know,” according to Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News.

Another Revis holdout has been the subject of speculation since almost the very day he signed his current four-year contract. In September of 2010 we noted thatanother holdout could be coming after the first two seasons of that deal. Now those first two seasons are up.

The four-year contract Revis signed two years ago paid him $32.5 million in the first two years, but he’s set to make only (only?) $13.5 million over the next two years. At the time he signed that deal, he made clear that he didn’t think a player of his stature should settle for $6.75 million a year, which is what he’ll average in 2012 and 2013.

“If I continue to play ball like I usually do, we’ll probably be back at that same position we were this year,” Revis said in 2010.

Revis has continued to play ball like he usually does. Now the question is whether he’ll refuse to report to the Jets until they agree to pay him like he’s used to getting paid.[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 05-31-2012 at 04:59 PM.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm so sick of this guy. I really don't care how good he is. 2 holdouts in his short career and possibly a 3rd. I really don't care anymore if he never played another down for the Jets. I know we'd take a step back but this guy is a POS.

I realize it doesn't make sense for him to holdout with the language in his contract but if he did, he could force the Jets hand like he did last time. Many say let him rot, well that would only happen for maybe a year. Then we'd trade him just like Cincy did with Palmer.

I don't think he'll holdout again but either way i'm sick of hearing about it. We have to make this POS the highest paid denfensive player in history and once another player makes more then him, he'll hold out again. If he holds out, trade him. If not, trade him after this season for a bunch of picks and a player. We get younger, deeper and don't have to give this greedy POS 130 million.

I really don't care what the homers say. "how could we trade our best player" blah blah blah.... Mangold, Brick, Harris all could have held out. We never heard a peep from all those guys. They are team players, loves the Jets and are smart enough to know you show up and you will get taken care of, especially talents like that. Revis is a me me me guy and couldn't care less about TEAM. FUUUUUUCK EM IN DA FACE!!!
    Last edited by LockeJET; 05-31-2012 at 05:07 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Revis is the best CB in the game but there is only so much salary a team can devote to one player before it affects every other player. That fact will be lost on the Revis apologists who think there is no Brinks truck big enough to pay him. They'd rather brag about having the best player at his respective position than being able to pay a bunch of above average players and win a Superbowl.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatriotReign;4481330]Revis is the best CB in the game but there is only so much salary a team can devote to one player before it affects every other player. That fact will be lost on the Revis apologists who think there is no Brinks truck big enough to pay him. They'd rather brag about having the best player at his respective position than being able to pay a bunch of above average players and win a Superbowl.[/QUOTE]

You're right. It's too bad we don't have a QB that can put the team on his back and carry A franchise. If we did, Revis would be shipped out in a second because the team could win without him. But the Jets have an average QB and can't afford to lose strength in other areas.. CB's have never won anything. And we have to pay this MF like a franchise QB.

Pitt, Giants, Saints, NE, Packers have all been to SB 's with hardly anything at the CB spot. GB has a real good one in Woodson but the point is making a CB one of the highest paid players in the league is going to kill this team if Sanchez doesn't turn into a real stud. Because we would have very little money to keep building.
    Last edited by LockeJET; 05-31-2012 at 05:17 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    This really needed its own thread? It's nothing but typical NY media spin over literally nothing. Revis will play out this season under his contract, but 2013 is a different story altogether.

Can we please just let this die until then?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My main issue is the guy is a bit of a phony. He shows up to voluntary OTAs to try and show he is a team guy, but he basically threatens to hold out of camp. I think he is a lock to hold out. If he wasn't planning on holding out, he would just come out and say, "I am not holding out this year". This whole BS idea that he doesn't know the future is just disrespectful to his teammates and ownership.

If he truly wanted to end all of this nonsense he would just come out and say that he will be in training camp. But he is not going to be in training camp. He is a wimp. He shows up to OTAs to buy his agent time to negotiate but once talks slow down he will go into hiding like last time.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=10PennyToColes87;4481335]This really needed its own thread? It's nothing but typical NY media spin over literally nothing. Revis will play out this season under his contract, but 2013 is a different story altogether.

Can we please just let this die until then?[/QUOTE]

Revis could put this whole entire discussion to bed by just coming out and saying that he is coming to camp. He fuels the speculation. He knows exactly what his plans are.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=10PennyToColes87;4481335]This really needed its own thread? It's nothing but typical NY media spin over literally nothing. Revis will play out this season under his contract, but 2013 is a different story altogether.

This isn't a media spin. This is REVIS himself saying he doesn't know if he will show up for camp or not.

After everything this POS has put the franchise and fans through, you'd think he'd show some leadership and team player skills. Like Mangold, Brick and Harris did!! Certain types of players and personalities love the team that drafted them. They give the Team every chance too make things happen. But Revis is always trying to force our hand and could care less if he hurts the team or puts them in a rough and tough position.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4481342]Revis could put this whole entire discussion to bed by just coming out and saying that he is coming to camp. He fuels the speculation. He knows exactly what his plans are.[/QUOTE]

He's probably being told by his agents to give non-committal answers, knowing he's going to get asked this same question at every opportunity. He's not going to get a new deal considering how cash-strapped the Jets are. He, and his scumbag reps, know that. Don't be fooled.

[QUOTE=LockeJET;4481344]This isn't a media spin. This is REVIS himself saying he doesn't know if he will show up for camp or not.

After everything this POS has put the franchise and fans through, you'd think he'd show some leadership and team player skills. Like Mangold, Brick and Harris did!! Certain types of players and personalities love the team that drafted them. They give the Team every chance too make things happen. But Revis is always trying to force our hand and could care less if he hurts the team or puts them in a rough and tough position.[/QUOTE]

While I agree that I wish he'd put it to bed, this is the person we've come to know, and no amount of money is going to change that. He's always going to chase the $$$, but he more than proves his worth on the field.

Like I said, it's a non-issue this year, but next year he's likely to take his ball and go home again. All I'm saying is let's cross this bridge when we come to it, and not kill ourselves over something that hasn't and won't happen this season.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatriotReign;4481330]Revis is the best CB in the game but there is only so much salary a team can devote to one player before it affects every other player. That fact will be lost on the Revis apologists who think there is no Brinks truck big enough to pay him. They'd rather brag about having the best player at his respective position than being able to pay a bunch of above average players and win a Superbowl.[/QUOTE]

exactly their will always come a time when someone greedy ie revis,homes,owens, and moss all became one way or another more detrimental to a team no matter how talented they are.

Please rex trade holmes and revis both are going to hurt the team more than they will ever help.:steamin::steamin:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=10PennyToColes87;4481351]He's probably being told by his agents to give non-committal answers, knowing he's going to get asked this same question at every opportunity. He's not going to get a new deal considering how cash-strapped the Jets are. He, and his scumbag reps, know that. Don't be fooled.[/QUOTE]

He is a grown man. He can rise above the influence of his reps and put an end to everything. We are not talking about a rookie deal anymore. The man has been paid. If he was truly a leader he would understand that the team does not need this as a distraction and he would put it to bed.

He knows playing the games with the media will help him. He wants the Jets FO to fear the uncertainty.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=10PennyToColes87;4481351]He's probably being told by his agents to give non-committal answers, knowing he's going to get asked this same question at every opportunity. He's not going to get a new deal considering how cash-strapped the Jets are. He, and his scumbag reps, know that. Don't be fooled.

While I agree that I wish he'd put it to bed, this is the person we've come to know, and no amount of money is going to change that. He's always going to chase the $$$, but he more than proves his worth on the field.

Like I said, it's a non-issue this year, but next year he's likely to take his ball and go home again. All I'm saying is let's cross this bridge when we come to it, and not kill ourselves over something that hasn't and won't happen this season.[/QUOTE]

I hear ya!! I'm really just sick of this POS. I've waited 40 years for a SB. And I want to do it with guys who are easy to root for, love the team and do things the right way. If Revis holds out again, it's time to ship this POS out, even if it means not being as good one season. CB's don't win sh*t in this league. It's been proven year after year. Trade his ass and get more pass rushers.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

+1

Perhaps Revis just got tired of being quizzed all the time that he gets sullen with reporters every time they bring it up.

Besides Jets hold all the leverage here as abundantly explained in a previous thread. Revis would be saddled with enormous paycuts and penalties if he holds out again.

This frivolous thread is just fanning flames where there's no need for it. Jets hold all the marbles here.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    So, to recap, nothing happened. Revis was asked for the 9,000,000 th time if he would hold out. When he didn't say no, all hell broke loose.

Some Jet fans started to moan, again. We get the he's held out twice. Though I don't get how we count the 1st deal.

And PatriotRein posts his 112th post claiming that no matter how good he is, Revis is a corner and how much can you give a corner?

Did I get it right?

Can wait until the next, Revis didn't deny he would hold out, or Revis hasn't said he will show up for camp from camp thread.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    no doubt revis will holdout sometime. maybe this season maybe next season. but whatever he does the jets will either fish or cut bait. revis may be the best corner but he also needs to look at the way the costs of some positions, like corner, are dropping. he can only cover one guy at a time and normally receivers aren't capable of dominating a game.

one thing i hope he realizes is how much his last holdout hurt his season. he came back just before the season started and promptly strained a ham string. not such a great way to start a season.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    You guys are wasting your ink. No holdout. Educate

[url]http://www.nyjetscap.com/2012_Articles/reviscontract12.php[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have no doubt in my mind that eventually Woody Johnson will give Revis his long term/big money contract. Woody won't lose a game changer like Revis. He's going to make sure Revis plays for the Jets until he has a long gray beard.

With that said, I wish Revis would just keep his mouth shut and play. The Jets just don't have the cap space to handle resigning Revis. I would say, in all fairness, the Jets should be willing to give Revis his big deal after this season. What's fair is fair.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe the media idiots should stop badgering him with their idiotic questions.

I'd probably say something controversial too just to **** with them.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    So what's the story going to be when Revis reports to training camp on time? Are we going to get apologies from the press for wasting ink and bandwidth on this "story"?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4481359]He is a grown man. He can rise above the influence of his reps and put an end to everything. We are not talking about a rookie deal anymore. The man has been paid. If he was truly a leader he would understand that the team does not need this as a distraction and he would put it to bed.

He knows playing the games with the media will help him. He wants the Jets FO to fear the uncertainty.[/QUOTE]

As much as they may be fearing it (which they aren't), Revis, his reps, and the Jets know he's in no position at all to holdout this year, and would have a better shot of doing so next season.

This a fabricated, non-issue made because there's literally nothing else non-Tebow related going on with the Jets.