Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Darrelle Revis bristles at deal talk

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=10PennyToColes87;4481413]As much as they may be fearing it (which they aren't), Revis, his reps, and the Jets know he's in no position at all to holdout this year, and would have a better shot of doing so next season.

This a fabricated, non-issue made because there's literally nothing else non-Tebow related going on with the Jets.[/QUOTE]

And for anything Tebow, the entire world can google the 50 page, 1,000 post thread right here on JI that should have been dumped and locked last week.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=PatriotReign;4481330]Revis is the best CB in the game but there is only so much salary a team can devote to one player before it affects every other player. That fact will be lost on the Revis apologists who think there is no Brinks truck big enough to pay him. They'd rather brag about having the best player at his respective position than being able to pay a bunch of above average players and win a Superbowl.[/QUOTE]

How much Revis make or doesn't make isn't the main issue with the Jets, and it's not like their salary cap situation has stopped them from winning in the past. In order to win a super bowl, you need a franchise QB. The Jets are paying Sanchez like a franchise QB; we'll see how that pans out this season, but if the Jets were to trade Revis, they wouldn't upgrade their QB position, and their defense, which is largely based on his specific skill set, would get significantly worse.

The holdout talk is annoying, but there's almost no way the Jets could improve their team by trading Revis.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=njherdfan;4481425]How much Revis make or doesn't make isn't the main issue with the Jets, and it's not like their salary cap situation has stopped them from winning in the past. In order to win a super bowl, you need a franchise QB. The Jets are paying Sanchez like a franchise QB; we'll see how that pans out this season, but if the Jets were to trade Revis, they wouldn't upgrade their QB position, and their defense, which is largely based on his specific skill set, would get significantly worse.

The holdout talk is annoying, but there's almost no way the Jets could improve their team by trading Revis.[/QUOTE]

If Coples, Davis, Ellis and Mo come through as well as Sapp and Maybin, the necessity of having Mevis back there will be severely reduced. A great passrush will make ordinary CBs look much better! Mevis is great, no doubt but with a great passrush he could become trade bait if he begins to hurt team unity with his me first attitude! The Jets have done right by him so far and he should be an example for the younger players rather then a greedy great player only out for himself.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4481409]Maybe the media idiots should stop badgering him with their idiotic questions.

I'd probably say something controversial too just to **** with them.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=JB1089;4481412]So what's the story going to be when Revis reports to training camp on time? Are we going to get apologies from the press for wasting ink and bandwidth on this "story"?[/QUOTE]

I agree with you guys but IMO Revis is fueling the controversy. He can end it all in a minute if he wanted to. Just declare that he is coming to camp. Enough playing games.

I just don't like this sh*t hovering around the team. Just like everyone is going to have to answer questions about Tebow, if Revis holds out, everyone is going to have to answer questions about him.

The man got paid. He has made over $30MM the past two seasons. His average per year is still among the highest, if not the highest. Jets got him by the balls but he is trying to put pressure on them through the media. Revis is no dummy. Everything he does is calculated. He is using the media as a tool and they are more than happy to oblige.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4481414]And for anything Tebow, the entire world can google the 50 page, 1,000 post thread right here on JI that should have been dumped and locked last week.[/QUOTE]

If not for the fact that it got thousands of hits which is good for internet business.

The Tebow windfall even finds its way to JI.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4481432]I agree with you guys but IMO Revis is fueling the controversy. He can end it all in a minute if he wanted to. Just declare that he is coming to camp. Enough playing games.

I just don't like this sh*t hovering around the team. Just like everyone is going to have to answer questions about Tebow, if Revis holds out, everyone is going to have to answer questions about him.

The man got paid. He has made over $30MM the past two seasons. His average per year is still among the highest, if not the highest. Jets got him by the balls but he is trying to put pressure on them through the media. Revis is no dummy. Everything he does is calculated. He is using the media as a tool and they are more than happy to oblige.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. he is tearing down what Rex is trying to build up. If he keeps it up he will become a true team detriment no matter how well he plays. Stevie Johnson made him look almost Lowery-like last year!

That's the bottom line on Revis's tenure with the Jets. If the pass rush develops as I think the CS envision it , his importance will be reduced. If he chooses to hold out next year his value then will be what he is worth to the Jets on the trading block

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Kentucky Jet;4481438]Agreed. he is tearing down what Rex is trying to build up. If he keeps it up he will become a true team detriment no matter how well he plays. Stevie Johnson made him look almost Lowery-like last year![/QUOTE]

You're right about everything except for the last part. Stevie Johnson and Fitz took what the Jets gave them. It was by design. Revis played soft the entire game. It was the scheme, not Revis. I think a lot of people overreacted to that game. Not to mention Fitz getting all day to throw.

[QUOTE=BRONX JET;4481393]You guys are wasting your ink. No holdout. Educate

[url]http://www.nyjetscap.com/2012_Articles/reviscontract12.php[/url][/QUOTE]

HE [U]IS[/U] tradeable. The cap hit is worse than if he stays but Revis could command a huge ransom in draft picks. Tanny can manage the cap, I would not say it is 100% he does not get traded if he starts a holdout or keeps threatening one.

[QUOTE=Jordy;4481409]Maybe the media idiots should stop badgering him with their idiotic questions.

I'd probably say something controversial too just to **** with them.[/QUOTE]

I had this same reaction while reading the story. Revis seems fed up with the media and their badgering. It's just speculation on my part, but I think the Francesa interview last year left a lingering bad taste in Revis' mouth. It seemed to me that his answers this time were less about any holdout and more about his frustration with the media.