Thread: Fantasy Football 2012 Preview

Fantasy Football 2012 Preview

http://voices.yahoo.com/fantasy-foot...88.html?cat=14

Fantasy Football 2012 -An Early Look at the Big Questions Facing Managers This Year

C. Steinheimer, Yahoo! Contributor Network

If you are anything like me you have been dreaming of the 2012 Fantasy Football season ever since you suffered a heartbreaking loss/amazing victory last season. Lets face it. We love this stuff. It is still a bit soon to start ranking players and doing mocks but it is a good time to start thinking about some of the big picture questions managers will be facing this season.

Lets look back to 2011. Some might call 2011 the year of the TE. In the vast majority of my leagues last season the owners of Gronkowski and Graham were in the finals. The TE position emerged last season as an a possible offensive Juggernaut. The big question for 2012? Do you grab Gronk or Graham in the first round? There is a major drop off after the top two TE's this season. Maybe it is worth reaching for one in the 1st. Who is the next best after the top two?

Another major story last season was the emergence of the super elite QB. Rodgers, Brees and Brady all had prolific seasons last year. Cam Newton could be in that conversation as well. Conventional wisdom has always been to grab RB's in the first few picks then maybe go for the top Qb's later in the first or the early second round. Is this the season which most owners forego a RB at #1 and grab Rodgers with that pick?

Speaking of RB's, who moves up in the rankings and who moves down? Is AP still considered a top 5 RB pick? I'm not so sure. I can make a case for Shady Mccoy, Foster, Rice and even McFadden as the top pick. Every one of those players could easily be ranked ahead of AP this season. Where does Jamal Charles fall this season? What about Steven Jackson, is he too old to warrant a pick in the first three rounds? Freddy Jackson was a beast early last season, will the emergence of C.J. Spiller cut in to his carries this year? Which Marshaun Lynch will we see? The mediocre player from the first part of last season or "Beast Mode" from the second half?

Of all the questions going in to the 2012 Fantasy Football season perhaps the biggest is the Peyton Manning Effect. Peyton is perhaps the most proficient passer in the history of the NFL. Will he replicate his success in Denver? Some think Manning is one hit away from a career ending injury. If he does remain healthy will he pick up where he left off or will a year away from the game leave some rust? What about his recievers. Thomas has the potential to be an all world WR with Peyton throwing him the rock. We may look back on the 2012 season and say Thomas was the steal of the draft. Maybe Eric Decker becomes Peyton's favorite target. He could be the sleeper of this seasons draft as well.

There are tons of questions going in to a new season of Fantasy Football. This is the fun part though. This is when you put in the work, do the research and kill it in your leagues.

Yeah I was looking at the Yahoo rankings and was laughing. I see more great RBs with low rankings this year then ever. I see POS RBs like Demarco and rookie RBs being ranked over fantasy studs like Charles, Turner, and Bennie and it just makes me shake my head. I lover Trent but I am not picking him in the 1st sorry. Or betting on McFadden with a 2nd who hasn't done anything to earn it. Spiller is supposed to be the primary this year and people are taking a 32 year old Fred Jackson and it blows my mind. I say if you can get CJ, Rodgers, Brees, Fitz, or Brady in the 1st I say take em.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Yeah I was looking at the Yahoo rankings and was laughing. I see more great RBs with low rankings this year then ever. I see POS RBs like Demarco and rookie RBs being ranked over fantasy studs like Charles, Turner, and Bennie and it just makes me shake my head. I lover Trent but I am not picking him in the 1st sorry. Or betting on McFadden with a 2nd who hasn't done anything to earn it. Spiller is supposed to be the primary this year and people are taking a 32 year old Fred Jackson and it blows my mind. I say if you can get CJ, Rodgers, Brees, Fitz, or Brady in the 1st I say take em.
    Things change each Year. Charles will be competing with Peyton Hillis for Carries. Turner with Jaquise Rodgers. I would place a higher priority on backs that dont have much competition. How will Matthews do without Tolbert stealing touches and TD's? Could be a top 5 guy. Adrian Peterson is on a team that will struggle scoring. Where does he fall? Top 5? Not for me. T. Rich could be a steal in the middle rounds. Top 3 rounds? Could be a stretch.

Spiller Vs Jackson? Who knows. Their both good players. Not enough carries to make either elite this season though.

I'm with you on the elites. Grab one of the Elite 3 QB's with a middle to late 1st and you wont be disappointed.

All Pro
    join me in fantasy football alot of scoring and categories only for those that really know football. league name here it is password nflrules

here it is (Fantasy Football league)
    football.fantasysports.yahoo.com

I'm in a fantasy league for the NFL for the first time this year and will be coming back to this forum for advice, because I'll bloody well need it.