Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 221

Thread: Wisconsin recall watch....

  1. #1

    Wisconsin recall watch....

    anyone know what the latest poll stated? Is Scott Walker's job in jeopardy?? It's interesting that Obama has stayed away from Wisconsin in the past week...Is the Democratic machine/unions "all in" on this recall? Any color appreciated

  2. #2
    Walker has been leading by an average of 6%. You never know what will happen but intrade has his odds of winning at 94%. It is virtually impossible to argue against Walkers reforms. They have been stunningly successful in a very short amount of time. The net result has been saving close to a billion dollars simply by opening up the health plan to competition rather then being forced to purchase insurance from a union run plan that was fleecing Wisconsin to the tune of 25% above competitive pricing. The ability to add an extra period to teachers schedules has helped reduce average class sizes.

    Most strikingly the few districts that signed contracts before the Walker reforms came out have been laying off teachers and administrators. That is a stark contrast to the districts that took advantage of the reforms and were actually able to hire additional staff. Hidden within recent polling is another interesting tidbit. A full 39% of public union households and 45% of households belonging to private unions, support Walker. On the private side that is a 50/50 split.

    Wisconsin this year had its first property tax reduction in 14 years. They are also on track to have a budget surplus of 150 Million this year. Their ranking for best states to do business moved from 42nd in 2010 to 20th this year.

    To sum up. Lower taxes, better schools, smaller classrooms, teachers being hired instead of laid off. Hard to argue against that.

  3. #3
    [QUOTE=chiefst2000;4483485]Walker has been leading by an average of 6%. You never know what will happen but intrade has his odds of winning at 94%. It is virtually impossible to argue against Walkers reforms. They have been stunningly successful in a very short amount of time. The net result has been saving close to a billion dollars simply by opening up the health plan to competition rather then being forced to purchase insurance from a union run plan that was fleecing Wisconsin to the tune of 25% above competitive pricing. The ability to add an extra period to teachers schedules has helped reduce average class sizes.

    Most strikingly the few districts that signed contracts before the Walker reforms came out have been laying off teachers and administrators. That is a stark contrast to the districts that took advantage of the reforms and were actually able to hire additional staff. Hidden within recent polling is another interesting tidbit. A full 39% of public union households and 45% of households belonging to private unions, support Walker. On the private side that is a 50/50 split.

    Wisconsin this year had its first property tax reduction in 14 years. They are also on track to have a budget surplus of 150 Million this year. Their ranking for best states to do business moved from 42nd in 2010 to 20th this year.

    To sum up. Lower taxes, better schools, smaller classrooms, teachers being hired instead of laid off. Hard to argue against that.[/QUOTE]


    WOW, that's awesome...the other thing I read was that individuals who now have the oppty to not pay union dues, are leaving in droves. It has to be obvious to anyone at this point that his reforms made sense. Right?

  4. #4
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,242
    It is amazing that anyone can argue against the obvious successes Walker's plan has achieved.

    On the flip side a friend of mine that is looking for a teaching job said that the STARTING salary for a teacher in Stanhope, NJ (not a rich town by any stretch of the imagination) is now $49,000 plus crazy union benis and summers off! I was shocked.

  5. #5
    [QUOTE=Trades;4483509]It is amazing that anyone can argue against the obvious successes Walker's plan has achieved.

    On the flip side a friend of mine that is looking for a teaching job said that the STARTING salary for a teacher in Stanhope, NJ (not a rich town by any stretch of the imagination) is now $49,000 plus crazy union benis and summers off! I was shocked.[/QUOTE]

    I don't know how things are around the country. These things are quite local in nature. In many areas of New York and New Jersey it has become almost impossible to get a teaching job. When the job became extremely lucrative what happened was that money seekers began going after those jobs. Many of those folks do not have a love for teaching. They have a love for the money, security and benefits that go with teaching jobs. What's worse is that union regulations don't allow for the removal of subpar performers. What we end up with are a large chunk of teachers that are "there for the money" that simply go through the motions. All this while potentially excellent teachers can't get their foot in the door. The losers in all this? The Kids and the tax payers.

    For me Walkers reforms are great but they don't go far enough. I would eliminate defined benefits pensions for all public employees except Military, Police and Firefighters. I would switch it to defined contribution pensions like everyone else in society gets. Also I would look to add merit pay and evaluations across the board. No one should have a job so secure that they can't be fired for poor performance.

  6. #6
    [QUOTE=chiefst2000;4483565] When the job became extremely lucrative what happened was that money seekers began going after those jobs. [/QUOTE]

    LOL, every single teacher I know including myself HAS to work a second job to barely survive. Money seekers going after these jobs? Dont know ONE teacher in my career that chose teaching for the money. Bro, you are being misinformed.............

  7. #7
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Van down by the river
    Posts
    22,792
    [QUOTE=chiefst2000;4483565I would eliminate defined benefits pensions for all public employees except Military, Police and Firefighters.[/QUOTE]

    Why except for those 3? Just curious.

  8. #8
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4483578]Why except for those 3? Just curious.[/QUOTE]

    I think that people that put their lives on the line to protect the citizens have earned a special distinction in society. They risk their lives everyday and deserve special treatment in retirement.

  9. #9
    [QUOTE=copernicus;4483577]LOL, every single teacher I know including myself HAS to work a second job to barely survive. Money seekers going after these jobs? Dont know ONE teacher in my career that chose teaching for the money. Bro, you are being misinformed.............[/QUOTE]

    The average starting salary for teachers in lowly Wisconsin including benefits is $54 per hour. For teachers 10 years in the average is $64. The average worker in Wisconsin earns $18 per hour including benefits.

    You love to negate the cost of your benefits when you spin your lies. A person with a guaranteed defined benefits pension can go through life without ever saving a dime. They are taken care of in retirement better that most anyone else. Its why your hollow statement does not ring true. I thought you worked in South Jersey. Regardless if you are working in a suburban metro area school you are paid well. If you work in the summers or after school coaching that is not a second job. That's filling out your current part time job.

    Be honest with yourself. You don't count the cost or value of your benefits because you've never had to pay for any of it. The benefits alone doubles the value of your salary. For the 170 or so days a year that you work it is an amazingly sweet deal.

  10. #10
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    LI
    Posts
    20,408
    All the unionistas from other states are cold calling Wisconsin natives and generating a huge backlash. Be very surprised if Barrett wins. lol :D

  11. #11
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Van down by the river
    Posts
    22,792
    [QUOTE=chiefst2000;4483588]I think that people that put their lives on the line to protect the citizens have earned a special distinction in society. They risk their lives everyday and deserve special treatment in retirement.[/QUOTE]

    I agree. :yes:

  12. #12
    [QUOTE=chiefst2000;4483599]The average starting salary for teachers in lowly Wisconsin including benefits is $54 per hour. For teachers 10 years in the average is $64. The average worker in Wisconsin earns $18 per hour including benefits.

    You love to negate the cost of your benefits when you spin your lies. A person with a guaranteed defined benefits pension can go through life without ever saving a dime. They are taken care of in retirement better that most anyone else. Its why your hollow statement does not ring true. I thought you worked in South Jersey. Regardless if you are working in a suburban metro area school you are paid well. If you work in the summers or after school coaching that is not a second job. That's filling out your current part time job.

    Be honest with yourself. You don't count the cost or value of your benefits because you've never had to pay for any of it. The benefits alone doubles the value of your salary. For the 170 or so days a year that you work it is an amazingly sweet deal.[/QUOTE]

    I pay for my benefits each pay check. Health, retirement, pensions, dental, etc. I PAY INTO my retirement. It is not GIVEN to me. I get very little resources to work with. No paper, chalk, computer, copies, colors, outside books for the classroom (textbooks are issued). I PAY for all of this. I pay for the ink that my lessons are printed on. I dont have FREE summers. I am required to obtain 100s of hours of staff development throughout the year. The summer is the ONLY time to get this done. That means just about each day during MY VACATION I am getting hours of staff development. Again, you are misinformed and are only listening to the politicians who want to take everything away from workers so THEY can keep the money.
    Last edited by copernicus; 06-04-2012 at 11:43 AM.

  13. #13
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Van down by the river
    Posts
    22,792
    [QUOTE=copernicus;4483633]It is not GIVEN to me. [/QUOTE]

    What about your Aston Martin?

    Or your vacation chalet in Aspen?

    Or your Olympic pool filled with bottled water and high priced escorts?

  14. #14
    [QUOTE=copernicus;4483633]I pay for my benefits each pay check. Health, retirement, pensions, dental, etc. I PAY INTO my retirement. It is not GIVEN to me. I get very little resources to work with. No paper, chalk, computer, copies, colors, outside books for the classroom (textbooks are issued). I PAY for all of this. I pay for the ink that my lessons are printed on. I dont have FREE summers. I am required to obtain 100s of hours of staff development throughout the year. The summer is the ONLY time to get this done. That means just about each day during MY VACATION I am getting hours of staff development. Again, you are misinformed and are only listening to the politicians who want to take everything away from workers so THEY can keep the money.[/QUOTE]

    Go back to the Failstrip and your Anti-Tebow crusade where you belong.

    The joke you've become just isn't funny anymore.

  15. #15
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,242
    [QUOTE=copernicus;4483633]I pay for my benefits each pay check. Health, retirement, pensions, dental, etc. I PAY INTO my retirement. It is not GIVEN to me. I get very little resources to work with. No paper, chalk, computer, copies, colors, outside books for the classroom (textbooks are issued). I PAY for all of this. I pay for the ink that my lessons are printed on. I dont have FREE summers. I am required to obtain 100s of hours of staff development throughout the year. The summer is the ONLY time to get this done. That means just about each day during MY VACATION I am getting hours of staff development. Again, you are misinformed and are only listening to the politicians who want to take everything away from workers so THEY can keep the money.[/QUOTE]

    My parents were both teachers. Mother left teaching for IT, father retired after 40 years. I talked to him about this and he laughed when I asked if he ever spent his own money on supplies. "Not a dime", he said. He retired about 10 years ago now, it couldn't have been that different.

    Now I know my school sends a supplies request list home on the first day of school and we send the kids in with white board markers, tissues, etc to help out and add to the school's stock. Every class in our school and our previous school (I just moved) has not only a computer but a smart board in it. Both schools have computer labs in them that hardly get used. I do see kids in the town library using the computers for assignments though.

    If you have books and chalk you should be able to teach kids. All the rest is smoke and mirrors. Most kids know more about computers than their teachers these days anyway. My kid did pick up some great PowerPoint skills doing projects for school until the teacher decided that she should do it all by hand. It killed her enjoyment of doing the projects.

  16. #16
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,242
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4483646]What about your Aston Martin?

    Or your vacation chalet in Aspen?

    Or your Olympic pool filled with bottled water and high priced escorts?[/QUOTE]

    He swore off the bottled water due to BPAs. Please try to keep up.

  17. #17
    [QUOTE=quantum;4483600]All the unionistas from other states are cold calling Wisconsin natives and generating a huge backlash. Be very surprised if Barrett wins. lol :D[/QUOTE]

    Never underestimate the ability of the left to perpetrate voter fraud....

    [IMG]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_1N3cxhPVIxc/SkvP21JkJHI/AAAAAAAABY8/o1w5HS_71w8/s400/smalley+jpg.jpg[/IMG]

  18. #18
    [QUOTE=Trades;4483660]My parents were both teachers. Mother left teaching for IT, father retired after 40 years. I talked to him about this and he laughed when I asked if he ever spent his own money on supplies. "Not a dime", he said. He retired about 10 years ago now, it couldn't have been that different.

    Now I know my school sends a supplies request list home on the first day of school and we send the kids in with white board markers, tissues, etc to help out and add to the school's stock. Every class in our school and our previous school (I just moved) has not only a computer but a smart board in it. Both schools have computer labs in them that hardly get used. I do see kids in the town library using the computers for assignments though.

    If you have books and chalk you should be able to teach kids. All the rest is smoke and mirrors. Most kids know more about computers than their teachers these days anyway. My kid did pick up some great PowerPoint skills doing projects for school until the teacher decided that she should do it all by hand. It killed her enjoyment of doing the projects.[/QUOTE]

    Come visit a NYC public school. See how much support you get when you send a letter home asking for supplies.

    "If you have books and chalk you should be able to teach kids. All the rest is smoke and mirrors." I invite you to come try it. Spoken from the point of view of someone who is not in the classroom.

    Love how the media (Ruppert Murdock) works with politicians and have successfully put the entire blame of the state of our country on the teachers. Hey, once the politicians are successful with taking away my benefits they will come get the rest who have no protection.........

  19. #19
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,242
    [QUOTE=copernicus;4483690]Come visit a NYC public school. See how much support you get when you send a letter home asking for supplies.

    "If you have books and chalk you should be able to teach kids. All the rest is smoke and mirrors." I invite you to come try it. Spoken from the point of view of someone who is not in the classroom.

    Love how the media (Ruppert Murdock) works with politicians and have successfully put the entire blame of the state of our country on the teachers. Hey, once the politicians are successful with taking away my benefits they will come get the rest who have no protection.........[/QUOTE]

    Wow what can I say other than, THEN DON"T TEACH IN NYC! You chose to teach in a district where the community and kids don't care about education and yet you are surprised that you are unappreciated.

    When I have worked for companies that didn't give me the tools I felt I needed to do my job I went and found another job. If I felt underpaid I would get the skills needed to make more money and find another job. If I felt unappreciated I would find another job. You stamp your feet and complain that you are unappreciated and expect different results. How is that working out for you?

    It's funny, the law of supply and demand says that if supply outstrips demand price should go down until they equal out. We keep hearing teachers are underpaid while there are lines in the hundreds/thousands for each job that opens up. Why is that?

    Is the job so rewarding philosophically and emotionally that all of these people want to forgo money for the opportunity to teach our brats?

  20. #20
    [QUOTE=copernicus;4483690]Come visit a NYC public school. See how much support you get when you send a letter home asking for supplies.

    "If you have books and chalk you should be able to teach kids. All the rest is smoke and mirrors." I invite you to come try it. Spoken from the point of view of someone who is not in the classroom.

    Love how the media (Ruppert Murdock) works with politicians and have successfully put the entire blame of the state of our country on the teachers. Hey, once the politicians are successful with taking away my benefits they will come get the rest who have no protection.........[/QUOTE]

    Do you work in an NYC school? I have two uncles and an aunt that all worked in the city. Each retired before 60 with full pensions. The most recent of which had been earning 110K per year in working with special ed students prior to retirement. Your contribution to your retirement is minimal if it exists at all. Your pension is worth 75 to 80% of your salary. I doubt you kick in more then 5% if that. If you contribute it would have been due to Cuomo's reforms that may have kicked in this year and the amount is minuscule.

    Please share with us the exact figures. How many years on the job. What is the salary. How much do you kick in towards pension. What are the total dollars you will get in retirement. How many sick days and personal days do you get to take off each year. If you want to use yourself as an example you need only prove it with the numbers. What teaching job allows you to post on this website all throughout the day? How many periods do you actually work.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us