Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: More great economic news!

[QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;4486189]And you forget; there are other responsibilities to being the President of the United States beyond turning a profit.[/QUOTE]

Like creating record unemployment, stifling corporate profit and increasing the debt in 3 1/2 years more than his predecessor (by far) did in 8?

And before you challenge me on profits, a word, don't. Corpoarte profits are NOT doing well (much to my dismay as a stockholder of some big boys).

This president has done little other than divide the country more than any president in memory. That means EVER. Maybe Lincoln but that was unusual.
    Gay rights. Gays in the military. Obamacare (to be partially/totally thrown out). Anti immigration enforcement. Pro union ( he got his butt kicked on that MULTIPLE times). Major sstudnt loan increases to study psychology,art, black studies and sociology. Hot majors.
    He does have date nights though. And an UNPRECEDNTED alcohol bill at the WH.
    BTW, the last couple days. Anniversaries of two of the most important events in American history. The Battle of Midway (1942) and D-Day (1944).
    Nary a word from the Campaigner. Perhaps too busy. Stands to reason. Most of those brave men are dead and can't vote for him. They wouldn't have anyway.

[QUOTE=palmetto defender;4486205]Like creating record unemployment, stifling corporate profit and increasing the debt in 3 1/2 years more than his predecessor (by far) did in 8?

And before you challenge me on profits, a word, don't. Corpoarte profits are NOT doing well (much to my dismay as a stockholder of some big boys).

This president has done little other than divide the country more than any president in memory. That means EVER. Maybe Lincoln but that was unusual.
    Gay rights. Gays in the military. Obamacare (to be partially/totally thrown out). Anti immigration enforcement. Pro union ( he got his butt kicked on that MULTIPLE times). Major sstudnt loan increases to study psychology,art, black studies and sociology. Hot majors.
    He does have date nights though. And an UNPRECEDNTED alcohol bill at the WH.
    BTW, the last couple days. Anniversaries of two of the most important events in American history. The Battle of Midway (1942) and D-Day (1944).
    Nary a word from the Campaigner. Perhaps too busy. Stands to reason. Most of those brave men are dead and can't vote for him. They wouldn't have anyway.[/QUOTE]

Relax, my post was not a defense of the president's resume in any way. It was a general statement that the job of the president is not just to cater to Wall Street. What is in the best interest of big business is not always what is best for all of America (examples of this disconnect include environmental issues, tax payer bailouts, too much deregulation-see Enron etc, etc).

All Pro
    [QUOTE=palmetto defender;4486205]BTW, the last couple days. Anniversaries of two of the most important events in American history. The Battle of Midway (1942) and D-Day (1944).
    Nary a word from the Campaigner. Perhaps too busy. Stands to reason. [B]Most of those brave men are dead and can't vote for him. They wouldn't have anyway[/B].[/QUOTE]

Au contraire, they have and they will again

[QUOTE=kennyo7;4486144]That being said he is better than Romney. That man is downright scary.[/QUOTE]

What, specificly, scares you about Romney?

I see him as another in a long line of moderate-liberal (R)ino's, who will not change anything material in terms of the spending your side likes most (although he will say he'll do something, talk no bite).

He won't change any of the Bush-Obama War & Security Policies you used to complain about when they were the Bush War & Security Policies.

He won't be able to do anything about Obamacare. The Senate will see to that (it won't go (R)).

So I'm curious as to what actual policies that will actual be implemented (not talked about, but implemented) that actually causes you such terror.

[QUOTE=Warfish;4486256]What, specificly, scares you about Romney?

I see him as another in a long line of moderate-liberal (R)ino's, who will not change anything material in terms of the spending your side likes most (although he will say he'll do something, talk no bite).

He won't change any of the Bush-Obama War & Security Policies you used to complain about when they were the Bush War & Security Policies.

He won't be able to do anything about Obamacare. The Senate will see to that (it won't go (R)).

So I'm curious as to what actual policies that will actual be implemented (not talked about, but implemented) that actually causes you such terror.[/QUOTE]

The concept that a Republican president in 2013 will not be able to overturn Obamacare is absurd. The Republican party of 2012 is very different then the one that elected Bush. The electorate is the same but the politicians have finally gotten on board with the goals of the GOP electorate. The Tea Party, love em or hate em, has succeeded in changing the status quo. The Bush days of promising small government and delivering more programs and increased spending are over. Just look around at the current crop of GOP rising stars. Walker, Christie, Bob McDonnald, Nikki Haley, Bobby Jindal, Paul Ryan. These are not staunch social conservatives. They are champions of smaller more efficient government. They are stars because they have shown a willingness to take on the tough issues. This is what the center right base of the country has been begging for.

The question with Romney is whether he will have the courage to make the difficult decisions as president. He brings a resume that indicates that he has the skill set and common sense to understand the issues and come up with the proper solutions. Think about it. Creating efficiency is his specialty. At Bain they did it with failing companies. At the Olympics they turned a corrupt and financially failing endeavor into a big success. In liberal Mass he was able to cut spending and balance a budget leaving a rainy day surplus fund. I dont have a crystal ball but looking at the changes in the GOP (largely thanks to the Tea Party finally holding GOP Polls accountable) and Romney's background I would absolutely expect successful government reforms. I expect for the first time a Poll will follow through on a promise to slash waste and duplication in government. I expect that for the first time in my memory a Poll will follow through on a promise to judge government spending programs on outcomes rather then intent. I also expect that if he doesn't follow through on those promises the GOP base will hold him accountable.

Jets Insider VIP
    Romney isn't going to have to do a thing about Obamacare

[QUOTE=chiefst2000;4484008]Today's liberal talking point?

Republicans want the economy to collapse in order to get Obama out of office. RealClearPolitics has 4-5 liberal dailys with similar articles just today. The lesson? Pointing out Obama's failures on the economy will be met with charges of rooting for America to fail. The left will do anything to attempt to distract the folks from Obama's horrendous record.[/QUOTE]

Remember when pointing out flaws in the execution of the Iraq war was also rooting for America to fail? Good times.

[QUOTE=chiefst2000;4486304]The concept that a Republican president in 2013 will not be able to overturn Obamacare is absurd. The Republican party of 2012 is very different then the one that elected Bush. The electorate is the same but the politicians have finally gotten on board with the goals of the GOP electorate. The Tea Party, love em or hate em, has succeeded in changing the status quo. The Bush days of promising small government and delivering more programs and increased spending are over. Just look around at the current crop of GOP rising stars. Walker, Christie, Bob McDonnald, Nikki Haley, Bobby Jindal, Paul Ryan. These are not staunch social conservatives. They are champions of smaller more efficient government. They are stars because they have shown a willingness to take on the tough issues. This is what the center right base of the country has been begging for.

The question with Romney is whether he will have the courage to make the difficult decisions as president. He brings a resume that indicates that he has the skill set and common sense to understand the issues and come up with the proper solutions. Think about it. Creating efficiency is his specialty. At Bain they did it with failing companies. At the Olympics they turned a corrupt and financially failing endeavor into a big success. In liberal Mass he was able to cut spending and balance a budget leaving a rainy day surplus fund. I dont have a crystal ball but looking at the changes in the GOP (largely thanks to the Tea Party finally holding GOP Polls accountable) and Romney's background I would absolutely expect successful government reforms. I expect for the first time a Poll will follow through on a promise to slash waste and duplication in government. I expect that for the first time in my memory a Poll will follow through on a promise to judge government spending programs on outcomes rather then intent. I also expect that if he doesn't follow through on those promises the GOP base will hold him accountable.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I was talking to Ken, the Fearful Liberal. I want to know what he thinks will really happen that he fears, and why he fears it.

Hoenstly Chiefs, I don't really care what you've been told to think today by your Romney campaign emails. You're a walking Romney talking point at current. You're the righty version of Intelligent Jets Fan of the old John Edwards Campaign.

But thanks anyway, lord knows it's not a day on JI Poli-Sci if we don't get our dose of Chiefs the Romney Campaign Manager. :zzz:

Ken, feel free to answer at your convenience.

[QUOTE=chiefst2000;4486304]The concept that a Republican president in 2013 will not be able to overturn Obamacare is absurd. The Republican party of 2012 is very different then the one that elected Bush. The electorate is the same but the politicians have finally gotten on board with the goals of the GOP electorate. The Tea Party, love em or hate em, has succeeded in changing the status quo. The Bush days of promising small government and delivering more programs and increased spending are over. Just look around at the current crop of GOP rising stars. Walker, Christie, Bob McDonnald, Nikki Haley, Bobby Jindal, Paul Ryan. These are not staunch social conservatives. They are champions of smaller more efficient government. [B]They are stars because they have shown a willingness to take on the tough issues. This is what the center right base of the country has been begging for.[/B]

The question with Romney is whether he will have the courage to make the difficult decisions as president. He brings a resume that indicates that he has the skill set and common sense to understand the issues and come up with the proper solutions. Think about it. Creating efficiency is his specialty. At Bain they did it with failing companies. At the Olympics they turned a corrupt and financially failing endeavor into a big success. In liberal Mass he was able to cut spending and balance a budget leaving a rainy day surplus fund. I dont have a crystal ball but looking at the changes in the GOP (largely thanks to the Tea Party finally holding GOP Polls accountable) and Romney's background I would absolutely expect successful government reforms. I expect for the first time a Poll will follow through on a promise to slash waste and duplication in government. I expect that for the first time in my memory a Poll will follow through on a promise to judge government spending programs on outcomes rather then intent. I also expect that if he doesn't follow through on those promises the GOP base will hold him accountable.[/QUOTE]

The tough issues that your "stars" have tackled were lay ups for their base (labor unions as an example). Lets see them take on defense spending and then I will be the one calling them stars :zzz:
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 06-07-2012 at 11:21 AM.

[QUOTE=Warfish;4486328]Sorry, I was talking to Ken, the Fearful Liberal. I want to know what he thinks will really happen that he fears, and why he fears it.

Hoenstly Chiefs, I don't really care what you've been told to think today by your Romney campaign emails. You're a walking Romney talking point at current. [B]You're the righty version of Intelligent Jets Fan of the old John Edwards Campaign[/B].

But thanks anyway, lord knows it's not a day on JI Poli-Sci if we don't get our dose of Chiefs the Romney Campaign Manager. :zzz:

Ken, feel free to answer at your convenience.[/QUOTE]

I know Johnny was no good for me and we broke up on bad terms. ;)

By the way, if I wanted to follow the democrats' talking points at the time I would have supported Hillary Clinton who was, without question, the party establishment's choice.
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 06-07-2012 at 11:25 AM.

Veteran
    Obama raised $60 million for his campaign LAST MONTH, yet he continues to spend more taxpayer money on parties and vacations then any president that preceded him. The national debt increased a nearly inconceivable amount on his watch. Chinese firms rebuilding roads and bridges in America with stimulus money that was intended to give Americans jobs. Yet somehow people still think he's looking out for their best interest and is doing a good job. The problem isn't as much BHO as the lack of perception/intelligence of much of the American populace.

[QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;4486213]Relax, my post was not a defense of the president's resume in any way. It was a general statement that the job of the president is not just to cater to Wall Street. What is in the best interest of big business is not always what is best for all of America (examples of this disconnect include environmental issues, tax payer bailouts, too much deregulation-see Enron etc, etc).[/QUOTE]

Wall Streeet is not ENTIELY synomymous with business. Many (most) U.S. companies have zero to do with Wall Street. BUT, his policies interfere with ALL business.
    Increased business and a healthy business climagte means more jobs. that's a good thing. His performance is not good in this area.
    Enron and a couple of ogther crooked operations will always exist - regs or not. The bad guys CAN go to jail. Some have.
    Relative to the environment - my concept as it applies to all things is: evolution not revolution. Too much haste results in error. Haste is the habit of the inexperienced and incompetent. Obama's mantra.

[QUOTE=Jungle Shift Jet;4486250]Au contraire, they have and they will again[/QUOTE]

There ain't many left. Some may have voted for him, but his values do not match those of WWII guys. Even the youngest are 86 years old. Not his target.

[QUOTE=doggin94it;4486325]Remember when pointing out flaws in the execution of the Iraq war was also rooting for America to fail? Good times.[/QUOTE]

Very good point.
    I am a conservative and an ex-military guy. I found flaw with the Iraq War strategy and still do. I also find flaws with the Army (and Marine) tactical doctrine.
    Criticism doesn't mean wishing something should fail. I criticized the hell out of my children for a wide range of things - better school performance, critique of athletic performance, criticism of friends. All with the intent of direction.

[QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;4486340]The tough issues that your "stars" have tackled were lay ups for their base (labor unions as an example). Lets see them take on defense spending and then I will be the one calling them stars :zzz:[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure those Governors have all that much input on Defense spending but I agree. I want inefficiency, duplication and waste reduced or eliminated in all areas of government including defense. I am on record here as a supporter of the mandatory stinkercomittee cuts to defense. The cuts they put in to medicare are actually more troubling for me.

[QUOTE=Warfish;4486328]Sorry, I was talking to Ken, the Fearful Liberal. I want to know what he thinks will really happen that he fears, and why he fears it.

Hoenstly Chiefs, I don't really care what you've been told to think today by your Romney campaign emails. You're a walking Romney talking point at current. You're the righty version of Intelligent Jets Fan of the old John Edwards Campaign.

Ken, feel free to answer at your convenience.[/QUOTE]

I just got off the phone with Mitt Romney's campaign manager Matt Rhoades and after letting him know that I'm tapped out as far as donations go he said that I should let you know that I don't get my talking points from him. He also told me to tell you that I just want a better America where I have the same opportunities for success that my parents and grandparents had. He also said that I should point out that some of us are sick of losing money in stocks and real estate and small business that open and quickly fail. He said I should tell you that the real and fundamental unfairness in our country is not what the rich people pay in taxes (He said to tell you that the top 10% pay 70% of the income tax burden while the bottom 50% pay nothing) but rather the decline of the traditional engines of large scale wealth creation.

For much of the past 50+ years virtually any investment made in America succeeded. From Stocks to Real Estate to Small Business it was hard to make a mistake. Put your money in the markets in the late 70's to early 80's and you would have seen 1000+% returns in the ensuing 20 years. Real Estate returned close to 500%. For the past decade plus the returns have been garbage, Real Estate has blown up and the chance of successfully opening a small business is miniscule. This affects every single american from richest to poorest. If the markets were returning 10% we wouldn't need to talk about unions or pensions. The pension funds would have been solvent and would not have required voters to pull back the benefit promises. The deficit would have been smaller or nonexistent due to the tax reciepts from the sales of stocks and real estate. It goes on and on.

I don't agree with everything Romney has said in his campaign. But I do like his resume. As a small business guy I believe that a person that spent a career building businesses large and small has a better perspective on the challenges our economy faces then a community organizer that spent his career rabble rousing and organizing protests. Am I a Romney supporter? Sure because I think the guy is the best man running for the job.

[QUOTE=doggin94it;4486325]Remember when pointing out flaws in the execution of the Iraq war was also rooting for America to fail? Good times.[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyDOAmJYFFA[/url]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=palmetto defender;4486446]There ain't many left. Some may have voted for him, but his values do not match those of WWII guys. Even the youngest are 86 years old. Not his target.[/QUOTE]

That wooosh sound was his point sailing over your head. He's suggesting (rightfully so) that a WWII vet who died in 1975 probably voted for Obama in 2008. And will probably vote for him, twice, in 2012.

[QUOTE=Warfish;4486256]What, specificly, scares you about Romney?

[B]
    So I'm curious as to what actual policies that will actual be implemented (not talked about, but implemented) that actually causes you such terror.[/B][/QUOTE]

At a time of nearly record job growth in the country, the state he was governor of was at the bottom (47th of 50). That coming from a man who claims he knows how to create jobs is a bit scary dont you think?

Veteran
    [QUOTE=shakin318;4486530]That wooosh sound was his point sailing over your head. He's suggesting (rightfully so) that a WWII vet who died in 1975 probably voted for Obama in 2008. And will probably vote for him, twice, in 2012.[/QUOTE]

And atleast one vote was in florida, but you know, according to the feds that dead guy has a right to vote. And any measure to stop him is unconstitutional and appears to be racial profiling.