Thread: Gwyneth Paltrow's N-word tweet sparks debate

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Gwyneth Paltrow's N-word tweet sparks debate

[QUOTE]Gwyneth Paltrow's N-word tweet sparks debate

The debate surrounding the "N" word continues today with Gwyneth Paltrow at the center of it.

Conversation was sparked over the weekend after an image was tweeted from her account that appears to be of herself on stage with rappers Kanye and Jay-Z during their “Watch the Throne” concert in Paris. (For those who don't know, Paltrow is besties with Jay-Z and his wife, Beyonce.)

Jay and 'Ye reportedly made the most of being in the City of Light, performing their track "N***as in Paris" 11 times - a record, music blog Nah Right points out.

Paltrow seemed to acknowledge their set with a tweeted photo bearing the controversial caption “N**as in Paris for real," looping in producer/singer/songwriter Terius Nash, who's known as The-Dream.

Ni**as in paris for real @mrteriusnash (the dream) tyty, beehigh say.ly/ySc3rTP—
    Gwyneth Paltrow (@GwynethPaltrow) June 01, 2012

When questioned about her use of the word - examples of which can be seen in the comments on her WhoSay account - Paltrow replied, “Hold up. It’s the title of the song!”

Nash also weighed in, seeming to assume responsibility for sending out the tweet in the first place.

"Fyi Sorry ... I typed Ni**as in paris for real from Gwens Phone my bad I was F** up please excuse it! We were lit!" he wrote Saturday night.

He went on to explain that the word "doesn't have any power over me which is why this will be the last thing I say about it. A word means something when u react to it!... Context is everything. Meaning it in the context as a Song which is how we Sold it to the world!!!!!! it is what it is."[/QUOTE]

I find the last bit the most interesting. It's the context that matters, i.e. it's only the worst most racist word in our language when certain people say it is?

I'm guessing Ms. Paltrow will not suffer much on this one, after all, it IS the name of the song and Paltrow is a well-respected liberal.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Eh.

It would be much more interesting if it was not the song title.

BTW, Kikes in Berlin is a much better tune.

And FTR, Paltrow is an idiot, based on past statements.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing says "street cred" like a lib millionaire white actress hobbnobing with the hip hoppers.:rolleyes:

SHe really is the worst sort of liberal puke.

-

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    She is very pretty and amazingly stupid. Fairly typical Hollywoood flamer.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not all that interesting here, either. Still amusing to me that [I]anyone[/I] uses that word, even in "songs". It's either unacceptable or it isn't.

And yes, Paltrow is an idiot of the highest order. And disgustingly thin these days. A real twigger?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    “N**as in Paris [B]for real[/B],"

that stopped being the song title when "for real" was added.

I personally don't use the word or any of its derivatives because of its history. I don't think anyone should, IMNSHO. :dunno:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4484436]I find the last bit the most interesting. It's the context that matters, i.e. it's only the worst most racist word in our language when certain people say it is?
    [/QUOTE]

You do realize black people use the word on a daily basis, right?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Meh.

Just another reason to stay out of Paris.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=OCCH;4485018]You do realize black people use the word on a daily basis, right?[/QUOTE]

I think that was his point.

-

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Frequent Flyer;4485021]Meh.

Just another reason to stay out of Paris.[/QUOTE]

Paris, France or Paris Hilton?