Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you know what TV needs...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=frostlich;4484516]Who doesn't want to see the return of Hee Haw and The Lawrence Welk show?

Nothin better than some pickin and grinnin except for maybe some Pfft You was Gone.[/QUOTE]
    exactly!

plus Hee haw had barbi Benton

[IMG]http://www.nndb.com/people/038/000024963/barbi-sm.jpg[/IMG]

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=32green;4484493]My wife has a pretty stressful job, so she will actually watch these shows mindlessly. I pretty much have to leave the room, because I cant help myself from commenting or making pained groan noises even after I promise to keep quiet. We've had some brawls over it.:D

Just from reading around here, I see that there are some pretty cool shows on... but finding them in the sea of channels or remembering when they are on is beyond my skillset anymore.

I tend to click through HBO, the sports channels... then I'm done.

-[/QUOTE]

That's funny...my wife and my youngest son watch all of those talent shows and love them, and I am always asked to leave the room because of my commentary on the performances.

I like Discovery ID, NatGEO, TruTV (which Charles Barclay described as "BET for White People", and a few of the dramas on AMC (Walking Dead, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, and the Killing). I'm also a sucker for all the paranormal shows, like the Haunted, a Haunting, and Fact or Faked.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FF2;4484460]LOLz.

But seriously folks...sadly this format is dead. Too expensive to produce, too much work, and too low ratings.

It's too bad too because I loved the format too.[/QUOTE]

If we're fighting a War on Obesity, screw soda, ban school busses. Make the kids walk to school.

As for Variety Shows....no thanks. Current TV is pretty bad, agreed, but Variety Shows are the worst, the Reality TV of their era, for many of the same reasons.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetswin;4484518]exactly!

plus Hee haw had barbi Benton

[IMG]http://www.nndb.com/people/038/000024963/barbi-sm.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

You are rapidly becoming the Grand Master Cane Shaker around here. ;)

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Fishooked;4484533]You are rapidly becoming the Grand Master Cane Shaker around here. ;)[/QUOTE]

yes, I've been very grumpy :D

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bowling shows. TV needs them.

New Englanders will remember. I mourned when Candlepins For Cash was pulled off the air because it was revealed that Bob Gamere was sued for sexual assault, on another man.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Fishooked;4484533]You are rapidly becoming the Grand Master Cane Shaker around here. ;)[/QUOTE]

He's starting to remind me of Ches posting black and white photos of Jayne Mansfield.

_

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JStokes;4484547]He's starting to remind me of Ches posting black and white photos of Jayne Mansfield.

_[/QUOTE]

everyone loved those puppies, even Sophia

[IMG]http://back2retro.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/sophia-loren-jayne-mansfield.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://drx.typepad.com/psychotherapyblog/images/2007/11/29/loren_mansfield.jpg[/IMG]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=frostlich;4484516]Who doesn't want to see the return of Hee Haw and The Lawrence Welk show?[/QUOTE]

Lawrence Welk was unwatchable. The only places it ever stayed on the screen more than five minutes were mental institutions and old peoples homes where nobody knew how to change the channel.

Wonderful, wonderful.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    No thread about variety shows is worth a damn without mention of

[IMG]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-78bOKRIm1XE/TlZL-m2gtvI/AAAAAAAAAUc/bW_0rVsdK2E/s1600/The-Muppet-Show.jpg[/IMG]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do not get the talent show obsession.

Who the bloody hell cares, it is so unbelievable dumb.

Also the reality shows on A&E and such are simply unbearable...Ducky Dynasty!?!?! Are you ****ing kidding me.

Just got into Breaking Bad recently which is pretty good.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GuidoYaztremski;4484539]Bowling shows. TV needs them.

New Englanders will remember. I mourned when Candlepins For Cash was pulled off the air because it was revealed that Bob Gamere was sued for sexual assault, on another man.[/QUOTE]

Typical Chowd fruit.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=32green;4484493][B]My wife has a pretty stressful job, so she will actually watch these shows mindlessly. [/B]I pretty much have to leave the room, because I cant help myself from commenting or making pained groan noises even after I promise to keep quiet. We've had some brawls over it.:D

Just from reading around here, I see that there are some pretty cool shows on... but finding them in the sea of channels or remembering when they are on is beyond my skillset anymore.

I tend to click through HBO, the sports channels... then I'm done.

-[/QUOTE]

My wife is in the same boat, and she has the stress of being married to me. She loves Bridezilla, any and all of House Twats shows, and horrible reality show really.

But she also regularly watches really good shows like Madmen, Breaking Bad, Justified, Game of Thrones, Curb, Modern Family, Parks and Rec, etc, with me.

There really are a lot of quality shows right now. Perhaps you old folks are just confused by teh abundance of channels and the complicated new fangled remotes?

Get one of your grand kids to help you, maybe? :dunno:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [IMG]http://images.zap2it.com/images/tv-EP00003650/cast-of-rockford-files-1.jpg[/IMG]

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=32green;4484505]Lol...I know the history channel and FX have some good stuff but I never remember to check.:D

I have DVR'd all of this seasons Game of Thrones but have only watched the first one....3 times because I keep getting confused. who the f is that....what the hell just happened...is that a baby dragon or a kitten...:dunno:

Mebbe you and I should just jump to Bocce and get it over with.

You bring the red wine!:D

-[/QUOTE]
    I felt that way at the start but just kept watching and it clicks, i started watching again season 1 after the finale this Sunday and picking up so muck of the little side stories of the show.

I just downloaded the books to my iPad since I have a year to kill before season 3, plan on reading the first 2 books to catch up but won't read ahead to not spoil the show for me.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetswin;4484537]yes, I've been very grumpy :D[/QUOTE]

And you know it's bad, if I am telling someone to lighten up. :D

Jets Insider VIP
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FF2;4484460]LOLz.

But seriously folks...sadly this format is dead. [B]Too[/B] expensive to produce, [B]too[/B] much work, and [B]too[/B] low ratings.

It's [B]too[/B] bad [B]too[/B] because I loved the format [B]too[/B].[/QUOTE]

Too many?

I think so too.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;4484656]Too many?

I think so too.[/QUOTE]

Toolololo

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetswin;4484502]these variety shows were more than sketch comedy though, at least some of them, yes they were similar in that respect to AGT however there was some actual name talent involved. If a group is willing to sit in with Howard on the radio to promote something, get asked brutally honest question, and then do a performance, that is usually terrific, I can't see why this would not work on TV again.[/QUOTE]

I think you are mis-remembering the quality of these variety shows. They really were not that good and in the few instances where it worked, it was extremely difficult to sustain.

I was a child of the 70s, and these were all shows that my grandparents watched. They would put on Lawrence Welk, it it was like a death sentence to me.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BushyTheBeaver;4484571]Lawrence Welk was unwatchable.[/QUOTE]

It was enough to force a 7 year old me out of the rec room and into grandpa's shop where I would shoot tin cans and other assorted objects with his bb rifle. That or start a fire. It was the 70s. Kids were left alone and if they were hurt it was their own damn fault. :yes: