Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boonton NJ

Boonton NJ

hopefully there are some jersey residents around here...

can anyone tell me anything about Boonton? i am in the process of looking for houses in north jersey, and came across a decent deal in the town. i live in the city now, so i dont know much about NJ and just about 1000 towns ive heard about recently.

my main thing is the commute to downtown NYC, but i also would like a nice town with a nice area to go have dinner, maybe a drink on the weekend.

thanks in advance.

All League
    [url]http://www.city-data.com/city/Boonton-New-Jersey.html[/url]

[QUOTE=Big L;4485121][url]http://www.city-data.com/city/Boonton-New-Jersey.html[/url][/QUOTE]

thanks, seen it.

All League
    Oh, sorry.

I hear it's the prostitute and bath salt capital of New Jersey.

Better?

[QUOTE=K-Met57;4485104]hopefully there are some jersey residents around here...

can anyone tell me anything about Boonton? i am in the process of looking for houses in north jersey, and came across a decent deal in the town. i live in the city now, so i dont know much about NJ and just about 1000 towns ive heard about recently.

my main thing is the commute to downtown NYC, but i also would like a nice town with a nice area to go have dinner, maybe a drink on the weekend.

thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

surrounding towns among the wealthiest: Mountain Lakes, Montville, even Denville is better. Boonton not considered to be one of the prime Morris County spots. But it's better than Parsippany.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.

What's your budget>500k, or less?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... got a ticket there once ... c*cks*ckers!!! :mad: ...

l_j_r

[QUOTE=lamont_jordan_rules;4485280]... got a ticket there once ...

l_j_r[/QUOTE]

me too :steamin:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

I don't know a thing about Jersey, other than the Turnpike and Rt 3 to the Meadowlands, but are schools a consideration at all? If you are married or close to being there, perhaps you might want to consider schools as an issue as well. Otherwise, you will be forcing yourself to perhaps move again in 5-6 years when it is a factor. That's fine if you're looking short term, but if you want some long term stability, it might be something to consider. Especially if you spend time and money fixing up a house.

From experience, this kind of stuff sneaks up on you a lot quicker than you realize.

Know Morris well. Spent many years there.

Boonton is the second WORST school district in Morris County.
    Try Denville. Better schools and just as close.
    Randolph is also good. Roxbury pretty good. Both accessible to RR
    Mountain Lakes=$$$
    Closer is $$$
    Forget Chatham and Madison unless your making 250+

[QUOTE=crasherino;4485334]I don't know a thing about Jersey, other than the Turnpike and Rt 3 to the Meadowlands, but are schools a consideration at all? If you are married or close to being there, perhaps you might want to consider schools as an issue as well. Otherwise, you will be forcing yourself to perhaps move again in 5-6 years when it is a factor. That's fine if you're looking short term, but if you want some long term stability, it might be something to consider. Especially if you spend time and money fixing up a house.

From experience, this kind of stuff sneaks up on you a lot quicker than you realize.[/QUOTE]

I would add that even if you are not planning on having kids. A good school district can be very important when it comes time to sell your home.

Remember Location, location, location. Even if it is not in the best shape a house can always be fixed up. But the location and property you are stuck with forever.

Good luck.

Jets Insider VIP

Don't know much about it other than it being next to Rt. 287.
    I've lived in Parsippany, Denville, and Rockaway Township, with the latter being my favorite.

Would you be taking NJ transit in?
    Last edited by Fishooked; 06-06-2012 at 10:23 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Shotzy;4485366]I would add that even if you are not planning on having kids. A good school district can be very important when it comes time to sell your home.

Remember Location, location, location. Even if it is not in the best shape a house can always be fixed up. But the location and property you are stuck with forever.

Good luck.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. You may find a house on the cheap now, but if the school system is the reason, it will also be the reason that it's harder to sell down the road.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

is that who the Boontown Rats were named after?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=jetswin;4485383]is that who the Boontown Rats were named after?[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://chzderp.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/hurr-durr-derp-face-id-ride-the-hurr.jpg[/IMG]

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Shotzy;4485366]I would add that even if you are not planning on having kids. A good school district can be very important when it comes time to sell your home.

Good luck.[/QUOTE]

It. Guy. This. Gets.

thanks for all the advice.

no kids
    not married/have a GF (even with being on this site 22 hours a day)
    budget under 500k
    planning get to work however i can, was planning to maybe drive to ferry downtown (weehawken/hoboken)

the school district point is a good one, i was kind of dismissing it....

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    [QUOTE=K-Met57;4485403]thanks for all the advice.

no kids
    not married/have a GF (even with being on this site 22 hours a day)
    budget under 500k
    planning get to work however i can, was planning to maybe drive to ferry downtown (weehawken/hoboken)

the school district point is a good one, i was kind of dismissing it....[/QUOTE]

Does it have to be a House?

[QUOTE=Apache 51;4485410]Does it have to be a House?[/QUOTE]

kind of, have a big black russian terrier, getting another one...apartments are becoming less and less of an option :)

btw also looking in westfield, seems like a nice little town...

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=K-Met57;4485414]kind of, have a big black russian terrier, getting another one...apartments are becoming less and less of an option :)

btw also looking in westfield, seems like a nice little town...[/QUOTE]

That's kinda funny, I was going to suggest Summit, and Westfield. Summit is right next door to me here in Chatham Twp., but a condo would most likely be in the budget, you get Rex with that though. Westfield is very much like Summit it is on the other side of RT.22, however, it is still a good town and has a larger number of choices I would take it over Boonton any day as much as I am pro- Morris County. New Providence might be a possibility too, has a top 10 school system every year like CT.