Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Costa Rica Vacation

All League
    I went to Costa Rica on surfing trips in 2003 and 2004 before Costa Rica was the overhyped, celebrity, toolbag destination that it is today. It has become the new Hawaii and I notice a lot of "cool yuppie" types hitting the beaches to "surf" and drink and other assorted activities....

We stayed in Playa Hermosa both times, near Jaco. We surfed all day everyday and stopped to eat, that's about it. Jaco was a little, dirt road town with nothing more than a Subway and a Pizza Hut. It's a wonderful country, beautiful with great people, however, the Costa Rica I know is different than the one you are going to see...

When we flew in, it was a 2-3 hour drive from San Jose Airport to Hermosa, however, apparently there is a new, more direct road, which was being built when we went there in the early 2000's.

Good luck.

If you know how to surf, it's great place to be...the breaks are world class. If you are some hack trying to "learn", good luck.

Apparently, sex tourism is popular as well in Jaco etc.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthTown View Post
    I went to Costa Rica on surfing trips in 2003 and 2004 before Costa Rica was the overhyped, celebrity, toolbag destination that it is today. It has become the new Hawaii and I notice a lot of "cool yuppie" types hitting the beaches to "surf" and drink and other assorted activities....

We stayed in Playa Hermosa both times, near Jaco. We surfed all day everyday and stopped to eat, that's about it. Jaco was a little, dirt road town with nothing more than a Subway and a Pizza Hut. It's a wonderful country, beautiful with great people, however, the Costa Rica I know is different than the one you are going to see...

When we flew in, it was a 2-3 hour drive from San Jose Airport to Hermosa, however, apparently there is a new, more direct road, which was being built when we went there in the early 2000's.

Good luck.

If you know how to surf, it's great place to be...the breaks are world class. If you are some hack trying to "learn", good luck.

Apparently, sex tourism is popular as well in Jaco etc.
    um, yes. very much so.

which leads to shyt like this:

Quote Originally Posted by Free2Travel View Post
    Shameless plug
    Jaco, IMHO, is a ****ty tourism destination unless the main purpose of your trip is drugs and hookers (not that there's anything wrong with that).

if, however, you want to see the country and actually do something other than drugs/hookers, there are countless better places to see and visit and Jaco should be way down on your list.

it really depends on what you want to do, and even though it's a very small country, there's a lot you can see while avoiding the aforementioned overhyped/celebrity/toolbag destinations.
    Last edited by crasherino; 08-13-2012 at 09:16 AM.