Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How Romney Pushed State Health Bill

[QUOTE=dmitexxi;4487734][url]http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/06/23/us-usa-healthcare-last-idUSTRE65M0SU20100623[/url]

I'm so sick of tired that as a nation we cant cant have a discussion about a subject before waving the left and right flag syndrome. I for one have resigned from thinking this government (any part of it) cares to represent me, when in fact the only people politicians care about is the corporations that lobby and get them elected.

This whole Left/right conversation is bull$hit to distract the people from the real problem at hand. Americas cant get jobs, jobs are outsourced to foreign countries, corporations evading taxes by opening shell offices in the Caribbean islands and putting that burden on everyone else, people looking for handout, Mexican drug cartels bringing their war and shedding blood in American soil, China buying all rare minerals, China securing Iraq oil after shed american blood, etc. I'm sick of it all.

Who gives a $hit who vote for... It doesn't matter.[/QUOTE]

Maybe we should ship all the "poor" in this county that are living of the public trough and are obese and riddled with diabeeTUS to the small populated county's listed. I

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=acepepe;4487960]Maybe we should ship all the "poor" in this county that are living of the public trough and are obese and riddled with diabeeTUS to the small populated county's listed. I[/QUOTE]

You mean Texas?

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4487966]You mean Texas?[/QUOTE]

No thanks, We already have our share of across the border, food stamp fatties. I hear tell Western N.Y. is nice this time of year, great for Messycans and Somali's. Gots great Bennifits for tha askin too!

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=acepepe;4487960]Maybe we should ship all the "poor" in this county that are living of the public trough and are obese and riddled with diabeeTUS to the small populated county's listed. I[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.livestrong.com/article/347190-obesity-in-america-vs-other-countries/[/url]

[quote]Since 1980, obesity rates in the developed countries of the world have risen significantly. In the United States, obesity statistics indicate that almost one in every three people is medically obese. Other countries have also experienced significant increases in obesity rates over three decades. Obesity is defined by a body mass index greater than 30. A BMI between 25 and 29.9 is considered overweight, while a healthy BMI range is between 18 and 24.9. BMI is not always accurate, however -- especially in instances of people with large frames and lots of muscle mass -- and some in the medical community don't recommend its use to determine obesity.
    Obesity Rates
    According to a book published in September 2010 by the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development, or OECD, obesity rates in the U.S. and Mexico are the highest in the world. Medical News Today reports that 2010 data indicate that 28 percent of all U.S. residents are medically classified as obese, while 30 percent of Mexicans are obese. A person whose weight is at least 20 percent higher than the upper limit of the healthy range is considered obese.
    MyUtapia® Official Site NSF-certified filtration systems Serviced every 6 months. [url]www.myutapia.com/filtration-system[/url]
    Sponsored Links
    Comparison with Other Countries
    [b]Mexico's 2010 obesity rate is the highest in the world; the U.S. ranks second. Other countries with obesity rates between 20 percent and 27 percent include New Zealand (27 percent), Australia and the United Kingdom (25 percent), Canada (24 percent), Ireland (23 percent), Chile (22 percent), Iceland and Luxembourg (20 percent each).[/b] Countries with the lowest overall obesity rates include Japan (3 percent), Korea (4 percent), Switzerland (8 percent), Italy, Norway and Sweden (10 percent each. In all of the countries examined by the OECD, the average obesity rate was 16 percent.
    Causes
    Causes of obesity in the U.S. and other countries include the typical national diet and nutritional profile and also lifestyle trends in each country. An article in the August 2004 issue of the American Journal of Preventive Medicine indicates that community design, physical activity levels and levels of car use all affect obesity rates. Many American cities and towns were built in the automobile era, resulting in fewer walkable communities in the U.S. than in countries with lower obesity rates, such as Italy or France.
    Effects
    Obesity puts you at risk for many health problems and diseases, according to Medical News Today. Obesity increases your risk of heart disease, osteoarthritis, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, respiratory issues, stroke, Type 2 diabetes and stroke. It's estimated that an obese person will, on average, live eight to 10 years less than a non-obese person. A high obesity rate in the population of a country increases health care costs significantly

Read more: [url]http://www.livestrong.com/article/347190-obesity-in-america-vs-other-countries/#ixzz1xUjaF7gI[/url][/quote]

some of those countries are listed there with their obesity problems. Do you think any of it can be correlated with the scientifically engineered food allow for increased profits?

Keep ignoring the real issues.

[QUOTE=dmitexxi;4488713][url]http://www.livestrong.com/article/347190-obesity-in-america-vs-other-countries/[/url]

some of those countries are listed there with their obesity problems. Do you think any of it can be correlated with the scientifically engineered food allow for increased profits?

Keep ignoring the real issues.[/QUOTE]

Do you think it may be related to bad eating habits and in a good portion of those country's to liberal food assistance programs.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=acepepe;4488855]Do you think it may be related to bad eating habits and in a good portion of those country's to liberal food assistance programs.[/QUOTE]

If you want to have a real conversation about this you wouldn't throw the term "liberal" when someone provides a statistic and you respond with an opinion. Can people even tell the difference between "Reporting" vs "Commentary/Opinions"

George Washington said on his farewell address to the Nation in regards to dangers of a two party system....

[quote]"It serves to distract the Public Councils, and enfeeble the Public Administration....agitates the Community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms; kindles the animosity of one....against another....it opens the door to foreign influence and corruption...thus the policy and the will of one country are subjected to the policy and will of another."[/quote]

This was a man who people wanted to make King, when you throw Democrat/Republican, Liberal/Conservative your fanning the same flames of bull$hit.

You know what they say about opinions, right?

[QUOTE=dmitexxi;4488924]If you want to have a real conversation about this you wouldn't throw the term "liberal" when someone provides a statistic and you respond with an opinion. Can people even tell the difference between "Reporting" vs "Commentary/Opinions"

George Washington said on his farewell address to the Nation in regards to dangers of a two party system....

This was a man who people wanted to make King, when you throw Democrat/Republican, Liberal/Conservative your fanning the same flames of bull$hit.

You know what they say about opinions, right?[/QUOTE]

FACT not opinion.

. lib·er·al
       [lib-er-uhl, lib-ruhl]
    adjective giving and generous in temperament or behavior

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=acepepe;4488951]FACT not opinion.

. lib·er·al
       [lib-er-uhl, lib-ruhl]
    adjective giving and generous in temperament or behavior[/QUOTE]

LOL

I'm not even taking you seriously anymore.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=dmitexxi;4488986]LOL

I'm not even taking you seriously anymore.[/QUOTE]

Most of the time, you shouldn't. But this isn't his opinion in this case. It is a well-documented fact.

[url]http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2011/09/27/expand-the-use-of-food-stamps/the-link-between-food-stamps-and-obesity[/url]

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;4489014]Most of the time, you shouldn't. But this isn't his opinion in this case. It is a well-documented fact.

[url]http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2011/09/27/expand-the-use-of-food-stamps/the-link-between-food-stamps-and-obesity[/url][/QUOTE]

Fact in the opinion pages of the NY Times, that targets a single demographic???

So tell me, currently there are people lobbing in Washington to allow food stamps to be accepted in fast food restaurant chains.... Who does that benefit? Of course those corporations are eager and willing to accept them, those receiving those benefits are eager to spend them in Taco Bell, or McDonald's. Are we starting to see the vicious cycle in this example.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=dmitexxi;4489033]Fact in the opinion pages of the NY Times, that targets a single demographic??? [/QUOTE]

The statistics cited are no one's opinion. :rolleyes: And the demographic addressed happens to be the exact one you were just discussing with him.

[QUOTE=dmitexxi;4489033]
    So tell me, currently there are people lobbing in Washington to allow food stamps to be accepted in fast food restaurant chains.... Who does that benefit? Of course those corporations are eager and willing to accept them, those receiving those benefits are eager to spend them in Taco Bell, or McDonald's. Are we starting to see the vicious cycle in this example.[/QUOTE]

I can't even fathom what your point is here.
    Last edited by JetPotato; 06-11-2012 at 03:52 PM.

[QUOTE=dmitexxi;4489033]Fact in the opinion pages of the NY Times, that targets a single demographic???

So tell me, currently there are people lobbing in Washington to allow food stamps to be accepted in fast food restaurant chains.... Who does that benefit? Of course those corporations are eager and willing to accept them, those receiving those benefits are eager to spend them in Taco Bell, or McDonald's. Are we starting to see the vicious cycle in this example.[/QUOTE]

You are going off topic here. You were correct earlier when you said the diet choices affect obesity rates. This is not however a political or liberal vs conservative issue. The average American diet is loaded with things like corn syrup, bleached grains and processed foods. We don't eat enough raw veggies and salads. We eat way too much red meat. Too much processed garbage. Anytime you eat a cake that stays fresh in the box for 3 weeks (Entemans anyone?) or bread that stays fresh for 4 weeks in the fridge you are loading up on preservatives and artificial flavorings.

What should be done about this? Government shouldn't do a thing. It is up to the people to educate themselves about healthy lifestyles and make the individual decisions to change their habits. When Government gets involved we end up with 33% pink slime in school cafeterias. Schools should provide healthier lunch options for sure. That just makes sense. Stop serving cola in schools. Why are they there in the first place? But in the end of the day people are free to educate themselves about healthier lifestyles.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=chiefst2000;4489043]You are going off topic here. You were correct earlier when you said the diet choices affect obesity rates. This is not however a political or liberal vs conservative issue. The average American diet is loaded with things like corn syrup, bleached grains and processed foods. We don't eat enough raw veggies and salads. We eat way too much red meat. Too much processed garbage. Anytime you eat a cake that stays fresh in the box for 3 weeks (Entemans anyone?) or bread that stays fresh for 4 weeks in the fridge you are loading up on preservatives and artificial flavorings.

What should be done about this? Government shouldn't do a thing. It is up to the people to educate themselves about healthy lifestyles and make the individual decisions to change their habits. When Government gets involved we end up with 33% pink slime in school cafeterias. Schools should provide healthier lunch options for sure. That just makes sense. [B]Stop serving cola in schools. Why are they there in the first place? But in the end of the day people are free to educate themselves about healthier lifestyl[/B]es.[/QUOTE]

You just answered your own question.

It's up to parents to educate their children on how they desire them to eat. If kids you tell your kid to buy milk instead and suspect he isn't, have them bring home a receipt. Or pack their lunch. But for the parents and the kid that want it, let them poison themselves if they want. Let Darwinism ride freely...

Otherwise, we could make a case for banning it all. Juice? Too much natural sugar... obesity, some studies suggest they're in fact worse than many sodas. Water? Bottled? Oh the tragic use of plastic! Milk? Hormones! Steroids!

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=chiefst2000;4489043]You are going off topic here. You were correct earlier when you said the diet choices affect obesity rates. This is not however a political or liberal vs conservative issue. The average American diet is loaded with things like corn syrup, bleached grains and processed foods. We don't eat enough raw veggies and salads. We eat way too much red meat. Too much processed garbage. Anytime you eat a cake that stays fresh in the box for 3 weeks (Entemans anyone?) or bread that stays fresh for 4 weeks in the fridge you are loading up on preservatives and artificial flavorings.

What should be done about this? Government shouldn't do a thing. It is up to the people to educate themselves about healthy lifestyles and make the individual decisions to change their habits. When Government gets involved we end up with 33% pink slime in school cafeterias. Schools should provide healthier lunch options for sure. That just makes sense. Stop serving cola in schools. Why are they there in the first place? But in the end of the day people are free to educate themselves about healthier lifestyles.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, but i actually had 2 points...

1- Original topic was the cost of health care in America. acepepe brought obesity into the discussion of healthcare cost in the Reuters article i sited, saying we should ship our obese people to the countries quoted. Meanwhile those countries are already there and their cost in delivering healthcare is 1/2 of the cost per person that here the US.

2- At the same time i don't think lobbyist should be allowed to win in their attempt to allow people to use food stamps to buy a happy meal at McDonald

[QUOTE=JetPotato;4489051]You just answered your own question.

It's up to parents to educate their children on how they desire them to eat. If kids you tell your kid to buy milk instead and suspect he isn't, have them bring home a receipt. Or pack their lunch. But for the parents and the kid that want it, let them poison themselves if they want. Let Darwinism ride freely...

Otherwise, we could make a case for banning it all. Juice? Too much natural sugar... obesity, some studies suggest they're in fact worse than many sodas. Water? Bottled? Oh the tragic use of plastic! Milk? Hormones! Steroids![/QUOTE]

In schools I have no problem limiting some unhealthy choices. I don't allow my children to drink soda or any sugar drinks. I don't believe that juice is bad for kids. 100% juice drinks are fine with me. If anything a school serving cola is taking away my ability to help control what my kids consume.

I'm all for letting Dawinism ride free but that should take hold when the kids are grown. Children are not equipped with the capacity to make every decision. If I let them my kids would eat ice cream and chocolate bars all day.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=chiefst2000;4489059]In schools I have no problem limiting some unhealthy choices. I don't allow my children to drink soda or any sugar drinks. I don't believe that juice is bad for kids. 100% juice drinks are fine with me. If anything a school serving cola is taking away my ability to help control what my kids consume.

I'm all for letting Dawinism ride free but that should take hold when the kids are grown. Children are not equipped with the capacity to make every decision. [B]If I let them [/B]my kids would eat ice cream and chocolate bars all day.[/QUOTE]

My point exactly.

Who would you rather your kid be responsible to? You? or the state?

[QUOTE=dmitexxi;4489057]Agreed, but i actually had 2 points...

1- Original topic was the cost of health care in America. acepepe brought obesity into the discussion of healthcare cost in the Reuters article i sited, saying we should ship our obese people to the countries quoted. Meanwhile those countries are already there and their cost in delivering healthcare is 1/2 of the cost per person that here the US.

2- At the same time i don't think lobbyist should be allowed to win in their attempt to allow people to use food stamps to buy a happy meal at McDonald[/QUOTE]

Food stamps sell for 80 cents on the dollar regardless. People sell them to buy alcohol or drugs all the time. All the lobbying in the world won't change that.

As far as the cost of healthcare there are many reasons why it is high in America. The idea that fat people are causing high healthcare costs countrywide is not true. Smokers, obese people etc, tend to be less healthy and consume more healthcare but that doesn't address the cost of hospitilizations and procedures in the US being too high.

Oddly the one thing the Affordable Care act did not address was the cost of healthcare. Strange considering the name of the bill.

[QUOTE=JetPotato;4489061]My point exactly.

Who would you rather your kid be responsible to? You? or the state?[/QUOTE]

We agree in that sense. I don't want the State controlling anything about the way I raise my kids. Nothing. I don't see why banning cola from schools is controlling anything. It is limiting choice. I like the fact that cigarettes are not allowed to be sold to minors too. They are harmful. Cola is harmful IMO. Kids shouldn't have the opportunity to buy it at school.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=dmitexxi;4489033]Fact in the opinion pages of the NY Times, that targets a single demographic???

Bingo.

Follow the money.

Morons on the site lack the cognitive skills to do so.

Sent from my Double-Wide using Semaphore...

All Pro
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4489074]Bingo.

Follow the money.

Morons on the site lack the cognitive skills to do so.

Sent from my Double-Wide using Semaphore...[/QUOTE]

Yes, but the corporations have to apply separately and be permitted by each state, they'd be morons to lobby in Washington. 4 states allow it: AZ, CA, FL, MI.

Would a moron think there's as much or more stigma to a company accepting food stamps as payment than needing to receive them? Or think that the people who receive them are all mobile and able to cook for themselves. (a HHA theoretically could for them) You tell me...:P

Theoretically, a Mickey D's salad would be a healthy food choice and not deserving of disapprobation...
    Last edited by Jungle Shift Jet; 06-11-2012 at 05:51 PM.