Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Holmes leaves OTA's in frustration, claims he was overused

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=patman;4488587]If I was given 10 weeks a year vacation, and the USO thought I could be of use to them and that they would put me up in a 5 star and fly me to Germany for a week, sure i would go and so would every poster here. Most of all the guys who are in their mid 20s and single. It was nice of him, but the OP referred to him as a Hero for doing so. that was the cause of my reaction.

When I was in during Nam (but never in Nam itself, and yes I am that old of a fart) USO tours were nice, and Bob Hope and the guys actually went close to the action, those guys were brave type performers, You could hear bombs in the background during one of the shows. Going to Germany for a meet and greet is not the same. And like I said the pats cheerleaders got a lot closer to the war than Holmes.[/QUOTE]

His trip was part of the charity work he does.

[QUOTE=Braumeister;4488804]You know the kind of sh!t you take, that leaves skid marks at the bottom of the toilet, and won't wash away no matter how many times you flush?

That's TX.[/QUOTE]

LMAO

[QUOTE=Jordy;4488900]C'mon man. Do you want me to post quotes from LT as to what was going on? The proof is right there.

Did someone specifically say, "Holmes quit." I don't know. But everything LT said after the game unmistakenly pointed to that. That's what Hunter was yelling at him about.

There comes a time when you can't defend every single player.[/QUOTE]

LT's words:

[quote]Holmes was benched in the fourth quarter after an altercation in the huddle, and some of the wide receiver's teammates spoke out about it after the game. Running back LaDainian Tomlinson was among the most vocal, ripping the captain.

"It’s tough for guys to follow a captain that kind of behaves in that manner," Tomlinson said.[COLOR="Red"]"You're a captain, guys looking at you. You've got to lead by example. [B] You've got to play your tail off until the last play.[/B][/COLOR] And when that doesn’t happen, you will have guys look at you in the way that captains shouldn’t be looked at. You should always put yourself out there as a leader."[/quote]

Pretty much looks to me like LT said that Santonio quit on the team.

[QUOTE=Jordy;4488911]His trip was part of the charity work he does.[/QUOTE]

I understand and it was nice of him to do so. I think it is wonderful that he did so. I only took exception to the OP saying he was a hero because he went to see some troops in Germany, not in the front lines or anything, but Germany. These events are regularly scheduled so he could have went at a time when OTAs were not scheduled.

If I was going to be negative about it I would note that a lot of nfl contracts require charity work and to attend team charity functions and that MAYBE he was using his mandated charity work the same week as OTAs as not to interfere with his own time. .

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=patman;4488935]I understand and it was nice of him to do so. I think it is wonderful that he did so. I only took exception to the OP saying he was a hero because he went to see some troops in Germany, not in the front lines or anything, but Germany. These events are regularly scheduled so he could have went at a time when OTAs were not scheduled.

If I was going to be negative about it I would note that a lot of nfl contracts require charity work and to attend team charity functions and that MAYBE he was using his mandated charity work the same week as OTAs as not to interfere with his own time. .[/QUOTE]
    The question is, what do you care? Keep in mind, this is a Jets fan message board. And maybe he made a difference to one of the soldiers he visited with. Maybe his being there and listening to their stories made a difference to one or more of them. Maybe he is a hero to at least one of them. It's so important for you to pick on a single word even though the OP was obviously being sarcastic when he used it.

[QUOTE=patman;4488935]I understand and it was nice of him to do so. I think it is wonderful that he did so. I only took exception to the OP saying he was a hero because he went to see some troops in Germany, not in the front lines or anything, but Germany. These events are regularly scheduled so he could have went at a time when OTAs were not scheduled.

If I was going to be negative about it I would note that a lot of nfl contracts require charity work and to attend team charity functions and that MAYBE he was using his mandated charity work the same week as OTAs as not to interfere with his own time. .[/QUOTE]

What do you want him to do? Man a foxhole in the Korengal Valley? He probably visited wounded soldiers at the hospital in Landstuhl - guys with their arms and legs blown off and severe TBI's. If anyone needs a USO visit it's them.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=detjetsfan;4489536]What do you want him to do? Man a foxhole in the Korengal Valley? He probably visited wounded soldiers at the hospital in Landstuhl - guys with their arms and legs blown off and severe TBI's. If anyone needs a USO visit it's them.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure his visit didn't consist of this...

[URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbmyOrsjgJ4[/URL]

[QUOTE=Jordy;4489530]The question is, what do you care? Keep in mind, this is a Jets fan message board. And maybe he made a difference to one of the soldiers he visited with. Maybe his being there and listening to their stories made a difference to one or more of them. Maybe he is a hero to at least one of them.[COLOR="Red"] It's so important for you to pick on a single word even though the OP was obviously being sarcastic when he used it[/COLOR].[/QUOTE]

Actually, the OP wasn't being sarcastic from what I can tell.

Funny isn't it how a person will make a statement and the sole purpose of that statement is to paint something in a certain light. If someone else comes along and questions the statement or refutes it, then they get fussed at about picking "on a single word".

[QUOTE=detjetsfan;4489536]What do you want him to do? Man a foxhole in the Korengal Valley? He probably visited wounded soldiers at the hospital in Landstuhl - guys with their arms and legs blown off and severe TBI's. If anyone needs a USO visit it's them.[/QUOTE]

Sure, it's great that Holmes visited the troops and I'm sure that it did wonders for their morale.

That said, the visit doesn't elevate one to "hero" status.

[QUOTE=Demosthenes9;4490706]Sure, it's great that Holmes visited the troops and I'm sure that it did wonders for their morale.

That said, the visit doesn't elevate one to "hero" status.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, That is all that I am saying, I don't know why he got his panties in a bunch about it.

Great and I said it was a wonderful thing that he did.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Demosthenes9;4490702]

Funny isn't it how a person will make a statement and the sole purpose of that statement is to paint something in a certain light. If someone else comes along and questions the statement or refutes it, then they get fussed at about picking "on a single word".[/QUOTE]

The ironing is strong with this one.

_

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=patman;4490775]Great and I said it was a wonderful thing that he did.[/QUOTE]

You're about to be entered in the band poll.

:D

_

[QUOTE=Jordy;4489570]I'm pretty sure his visit didn't consist of this...

[URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbmyOrsjgJ4[/URL][/QUOTE]

Dude, don't underestimate the value of that. Ever been out in the field for a long time? When you haven't seen a woman in 6 months, you start to fantasize about rubbing up against the fugly ones ;)

[QUOTE=JStokes;4490777]You're about to be entered in the band poll.

_[/QUOTE]

poll all you want, the mods will review and determine if my posts can be considered trolling.

[QUOTE=JStokes;4490777]You're about to be entered in the band poll.

_[/QUOTE]

oh goody, do i get to vote?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Demosthenes9;4490702]Actually, the OP wasn't being sarcastic from what I can tell.

Funny isn't it how a person will make a statement and the sole purpose of that statement is to paint something in a certain light. If someone else comes along and questions the statement or refutes it, then they get fussed at about picking "on a single word".[/QUOTE]

Might as well beat a dead horse with someone who likes to beat a dead horse...

The OP wrote: [I]SAR: "He's a hero." [/I]

If that's not sarcasm, I don't know what is.

[QUOTE=Jordy;4491306]Might as well beat a dead horse with someone who likes to beat a dead horse...

The OP wrote: [I]SAR: "He's a hero." [/I]

If that's not sarcasm, I don't know what is.[/QUOTE]

Can see the cause of confusion. You took OP to be the original poster of the thread, and yeah, "hero" is mentioned there.

Pat and I used "OP" in a different context, referring back to the the Original Post(er) that started the line of discussion. This would be this post from Kentucky Jet:

[QUOTE=Kentucky Jet;4486939]The man was in Germany visiting our wounded troops. I'd say give him a break. I find it to be great that a guy like Holmes wanted to visit our troops. Sorry I do not see that as a big problem here. He gets off a plane and runs 20 to 25 plays out of 35 and his legs feel like rubber and you and others exhibit the need to be critical. Sorry I disagree. [COLOR="Red"][B]He is a hero for trying to cheer up our wounded troops.[/B][/COLOR] I am not a fan of Holmes but lets be fair.[/QUOTE]

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Demosthenes9;4491546]Can see the cause of confusion. You took OP to be the original poster of the thread, and yeah, "hero" is mentioned there.

Pat and I used "OP" in a different context, referring back to the the Original Post(er) that started the line of discussion. This would be this post from Kentucky Jet:[/QUOTE]
    I'm sure KJ is a nice guy and all but he waves the pom poms for everybody.