Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More children are slaughtered; the world does nothing

More children are slaughtered; the world does nothing

[B][SIZE="4"]In Syria, a massacre feels eerily familiar[/SIZE][/B]

Among the dead were 40 women and children. Again, as in Houla, the images are chilling.

Babies, lifeless. Wrapped in blankets, white shrouds. Women with faces in hues of ghostly whites, deep purples and reds -- the colors of death.
    The world gasped two weeks ago at the slaughter of at least 108 people in the Syrian town of Houla. Now, activists say it has happened again, this time in the village of Qubeir, not far from the city of Hama.
    The reactions are eerily familiar: horror. Shock. Then, reaction and blame on Bashar al-Assad and, from his government, blame on armed terrorists.
    A camera captures the dead, some burned beyond recognition.
    McCain: 'They cry out for our help' Syria struggles to find peace Activists claim new Syrian massacre
    "Those are the children of Qubeir farm. Those are the children of the massacre, the same as Houla," says a man's voice in the video posted online.
    "Take a look, Arabs. Take a look, Muslims. Were they terrorists? Take a look, Kofi Annan."
    Syrian rebels face off with regime troops in 'sniper alley'
    At least 78 people, including 35 from one family, were killed by Syrian regime forces in Qubeir, said the opposition network Local Coordination Committees of Syria. Some residents suspected the Shabiha, armed gangs that work as freelancers for the government.
    The village had only about 200 people. In one lethal sweep, almost half were gone.
    Opposition activists said Syrian government forces shelled Qubeir for an hour before militias on foot turned AK-47 rifles on people, some at close range, or slashed them with knives.
    The government said those accusations were false.
    Throughout the Syrian crisis, al-Assad has said terrorists are responsible for the bloodshed. On Thursday, the regime put Qubeir's suffering on terrorists and said the massacre was intended "to be used to pressure Syria," state media reported.

The video of the dead was posted on YouTube late Wednesday. CNN could not independently verify its authenticity.
    Neither could United Nations observers who tried Thursday to reach Qubeir but were blocked by the Army as well as civilians. The observers wanted to "establish the facts on the ground" so that the world could be certain as the United Nations General Assembly took up talk of Syria.
    Many nations blamed al-Assad for Houla. Would they think the same way about Qubeir?

"Shocking and sickening" is how U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon described the massacre.
    Then he told the General Assembly that the observers trying to reach Qubeir were shot at with small arms. Al-Assad's government, he said, has lost "all legitimacy."
    The camera pans over the bodies, sometimes in herky-jerky fashion. Plastic bottles of frozen water. Shards of ice. Summer temperatures are climbing. How else to preserve the dead?

U.N. observers in Syria come under fire as crisis boils
    Some victims, maybe about 40, were buried Thursday, said a youth activist who was not named for safety reasons. They were not buried in the way their families would have wanted but in mass graves.
    The Shabiha hauled the other bodies away to neighboring villages, the activist said.

U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton called Qubeir "simply unconscionable." The time has come, she said, for the world to unite around a plan to remove al-Assad.

Nine days ago, U.N. Special Envoy Kofi Annan urged al-Assad to take bold and visible steps to change his military stance, to honor his commitment to an agreed-upon peace plan.

But the opposite has happened.
    Annan told the General Assembly that shelling of Syrian cities has intensified, and "government-backed militia seem to have free rein with appalling consequences."
    He said: Al-Assad has not indicated a change of course. The hour demands more. Syria is on the precipice of all-out war.

The camera scans the faces of the dead. You might think at first they were sleeping, they look so peaceful. Yet they did not know peace in their final moments. The next shot is of dried blood and bruised eyes and noses.
    The international rights group Avaaz sent out a report card Thursday on Syria's failing truce.

• Launch of inclusive peace process: failed.
    "The opposition is unable to organize effectively in Syria due in part to the detention, torture and murder of countless opposition activists."
    • Cease-fire: failed.
    "Clashes between forces are rife, and crackdowns against peaceful protesters and regime shelling of residential areas continue unabated."
    • Delivery of humanitarian aid: partial.
    "The government heavily controls (International Committee of the Red Cross) and Red Crescent aid routes and has prevented aid from entering across borders, while aid can only be distributed in 5 locations and under regime control. Although Assad mentioned that other agencies could enter the country yesterday, it was unclear how this will work."
    • Release of detained prisoners: failed.
    "While 86 Aleppo University students were released in early May, more than 600 remain in detention."
    • Free movement for media: failed.
    "While the regime claims 400 visas have been issued for media, journalists' movements remain severely restricted, making it virtually impossible to report freely; the people they speak to are often targeted for speaking to them."
    • Freedom to protest: failed.
    "Peaceful protesters are still regularly targeted by shooting and even shelling, in addition to round-ups of protesters, including children, who are routinely tortured in detention."

The camera hovers over charred flesh. A blackened corpse is said to be of a mother cradling her baby. It is unwatchable. Media websites that post the video attach warnings of graphic material.
    Experts on Syria agree. It is another Houla.
    "Assad and his regime have been slaughtering people on an industrial scale for well over a year now, and there's no reason to think they're going to stop because Kofi Annan politely asks them to," said Michael Weiss of the British think tank the Henry Jackson Society.
    "How many more of these bloodbaths will the West abide by without intervening to protect Syria's civilians?" he asked.
    He said he the world ought to realize that the Houla massacre, however shocking, was hardly unique.

[url]http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/07/world/meast/syria-village-massacre/index.html?hpt=hp_c1[/url]

This is an abomination, an affront to any decent person. [B]Children, infants,[/B] are being slaughtered and the powers around the world do nothing of substance. President Obama, more concerned about reelection and campaigning, is failing to lead.

This is a political forum so I would like to throw out the following question; after reading this story and watching the video, what can be done?

[QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;4486931]This is a political forum so I would like to throw out the following question; after reading this story and watching the video, what can be done?[/QUOTE]

Isn't that a question for President Obama to answer?

Or the United Nations?

Syria is in a state of Civil War. By definition, a Civil War will result in the deaths of Syrians, by the hands of Syrians. By definition, modern warfare kills civilians. Including kids. It's a war to determine the self-determination (or not) of Syrians.

Personally, while I feel for the victims, it's not our problem, not our responsabillity and frankly, we're a pretty ****ty World Policeman. It's a laughable idea that we can, or should, try to stop all killing on Earth.

Russia is a Syrian ally. Let them handle it.

What do [B][U]YOU[/U][/B] think needs done, IJF?
    Last edited by Warfish; 06-07-2012 at 09:13 PM.

[QUOTE=Warfish;4486944]Isn't that a question for President Obama to answer?

Or the United Nations?

Syria is in a state of Civil War. By definition, a Civil War will result in the deaths of Syrians, by the hands of Syrians. By definition, modern warfare kills civilians. Including kids. It's a war to determine the self-determination (or not) of Syrians.

Personally, while I feel for the victims, it's not our problem, not our responsabillity and frankly, we're a pretty ****ty World Policeman. It's a laughable idea that we can, or should, try to stop all killing on Earth.

What do [B][U]YOU[/U][/B] think needs done, IJF?[/QUOTE]

There is no excuse or reason for the slaughtering of infants/children. None. There is no discussion or debate on that. Civil war, world war, proxy war, cold war etc, etc, does not matter. Modern warfare does not mean going door to door and aiming a rifle point blank at an infant and slaughtering them.

I am usually a proponent of not getting involved in foreign affairs because we have been lied to and manipulated too much but this is one area where I am an advocate of intervention with a coalition of countries.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4486944]Isn't that a question for President Obama to answer?

Or the United Nations?

What do [B][U]YOU[/U][/B] think needs done, IJF?[/QUOTE]

Exactly. We're broke, someone else's turn. We need to save Detroit and Camden, NJ before we spend more bazillions "saving" people thousands of miles away.

Other than Israel, region's a bunch of stone aged savages anyway, maybe if they joined the modern world it would help them.

When the US doesn't lead the world won't follow.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Obama doesn't need that vote.

[QUOTE=Apache 51;4487108]Obama doesn't need that vote.[/QUOTE]

Sad that this is a valid statement.

[QUOTE=brady's a catcher;4486968]Exactly. We're broke, someone else's turn. We need to save Detroit and Camden, NJ before we spend more bazillions "saving" people thousands of miles away.

Other than Israel, region's a bunch of stone aged savages anyway, maybe if they joined the modern world it would help them.[/QUOTE]

horrific post. :rolleyes:

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;4486966]There is no excuse or reason for the slaughtering of infants/children. None. There is no discussion or debate on that. Civil war, world war, proxy war, cold war etc, etc, does not matter. Modern warfare does not mean going door to door and aiming a rifle point blank at an infant and slaughtering them.

I am usually a proponent of not getting involved in foreign affairs because we have been lied to and manipulated too much but this is one area where I am an advocate of intervention with a coalition of countries.[/QUOTE]

We're far too busy here at home raging our own war on women.

Seems a little more silly every day, doesn't it?

[QUOTE=JetPotato;4487128]We're far too busy here at home raging our own war on women.

Seems a little more silly every day, doesn't it?[/QUOTE]

[B]Both[/B] sides play politics with every issue imaginable in an attempt to manipulate voters. What is going on in Syria is an affront to the world.

[I]“The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people.”[/I]
    -Martin Luther King

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;4487130][B]Both[/B] sides play politics with every issue imaginable in an attempt to manipulate voters. What is going on in Syria is an affront to the world.

[I]“The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people.”[/I]
    -Martin Luther King[/QUOTE]

:rolleyes:

Unfortunately, our military is deployed elsewhere.
    And it has been seriously depleted and there are plans to make it more so.
    This is not a situation for airpower. This is an infantry/armor situation.
    We have only ONE armored division left. Not much infantry either.
    Syria is an ally of Russia and Iran. Let them do something. Jordan, Egypt also.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;4487126]horrific post. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Go cry about it with this guy...

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBJfj6zzG24[/url]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

I have read headlines the past two days about Russia and Iran are getting involved, to what extent and to what end I have no idea.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

GODDAMMM BUSH!!!!

With Panetta stating earlier this week that we are warring with Pakistan (FATA), we are now expanding our already over expanded resources even more. As horrific as things have been in Syria, I don't see how much more we can ask of our military.

Particularly when Americans who don't and won't serve desire even more tax cuts. Who will pay for war in Syria?

However, Obama may find a way to repay his Def Con donors with another war. The Def Con major players are rewarding Obama heavily in this election. Generally they lean republican but this listing shows that they lean towards Obama

[url]http://www.opensecrets.org/pres12/sectorallc.php?cycle=2012[/url]

[QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;4487082]When the US doesn't lead the world won't follow.[/QUOTE]

So be it.

I, for one, am very tired of having been forced into the position of World Policeman. I'm tired of paying for it. I'm tired of being blamed for it. And I'm tired of spending US lives on it.

Put simply, and perhaps coldly, we are not responsible fo r the lives of kids in Syria. It's tragic, but we have no shortage of tragic kid situations here in the US, and our money and effort should be spent first, foremost and always on OUR people.

And again, a Nation has a right to self-determine, and sometimes that right has to be earned with blood, just like our own. It's not our place, nor should it be, to be picking winners and losers in a Civil War 9,000 miles from our shores.

If anyone should be involved, it should be the United Nations, with the US providing only a small funding/manpower contribution, and the VAST majority of funding/manpower coming from Syria's neighbors. If they will not provide, why should we? Apart from Utopian dreams from bleeding heart liberals, of course...

This was my view on Iraq.

This was my view on Libya.

This is my view on Syria.

The only legitimate conflict we're involved in is/has been our worst run, under both Presidents, and that is Afghanistan.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4487225]So be it.

I, for one, am very tired of having been forced into the position of World Policeman. I'm tired of paying for it. I'm tired of being blamed for it. And I'm tired of spending US lives on it.

[/QUOTE]

+10000

It's incredibly annoying that America is constantly criticized for attempting to be the World Police but when nobody is doing anything everybody turns to America and asks why they aren't doing anything.

It's a no-win situation. The fact of the matter is that America doesn't want to get into another war -- the sacrifice in money and lives isn't worth it. The fact that the Syrian government has the backing of Russia doesn't make it any more appealing either...

Hall Of Fame
    Sad. Makes me thankful I live in America.

Truth is these people don't want to help themselves. They are ass backwards when it comes to everything.

What is there to do? War? Assassinations? Drone strikes? We can't solve everything and save everyone. Sad but it's the truth.