Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jenny Vrentas Does It Again

All League

Jenny Vrentas Does It Again

A fair unbiased piece on Revis contract and an in depth look at our off-season program. Best beat writer hands down.

[url]http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2012/06/darrelle_revis_wants_to_retire.html[/url]

Darrelle Revis’ five-year NFL career has been defined by brilliant play at the cornerback position, punctuated by a pair of contract holdouts. While the All-Pro has left the door open to the possibility of a third holdout this summer, underlying that possibility is one simple wish of his.

“I want to retire here,” Revis said in an interview Thursday. “I think Mike (Tannenbaum) knows that. I think Rex (Ryan) knows that. (The Jets) drafted me, they gave me a chance, so yeah, I want to be here and never play for another organization again. If they feel that, if Mike feels that I’m that type of person to be here, then they will compensate me. If not, then it’s the business of it.”

Revis emphasized that he has never said this offseason that he’s unhappy with the contract he signed in 2010, a seven-year deal that voids to a four-year, $46 million deal if he does not hold out. But he has refused to guarantee he will report to training camp in Cortland, N.Y., on July 26, fueling speculation.

“People think I’m mad or unhappy. I’m not mad or unhappy,” Revis said. “It’s a thing where some things were said, and I think that’s what people are really focusing on. It was a Band-Aid type of contract, and they were going to redo it or renew it, and it hasn’t happened yet.”

MORE COVERAGE OF JETS FOOTBALL• Jets stories and columns• Jets photos• Jets videos
    Revis’ current contract gave him the $16.25 million per-year average he was seeking over the first two years, including an $18 million option bonus earned last year. His compensation in 2012 and 2013 totals $13.5 million.

Revis said he “will try to honor (his contract) the best way I can,” but he’s also seeking a multi-year deal toward keeping him a Jet for life. When Revis refers to “some things” that were said, he means Tannenbaum publicly calling the deal an “intermediate step” to keeping Revis with the Jets for his career.

Revis said his representatives told him the Jets privately called the deal a “Band-Aid” as well. So Revis is waiting for the Band-Aid to be replaced, but for now at least, he seemed to put the ball in the Jets’ court.

Star-Ledger reporters talk about Jets OTAWatch video

“That was the initial talk of it,” he said, referring to the idea of getting a long-term extension done. “But it’s in a place where if Mike and them want to move on it, it’s really on them, on what they want to do. And then we’ll go from there. We’ll negotiate it out if that’s the case, and if not, then it’s not.”

The Jets have given no indications publicly that they’re open to renegotiating with two years left on Revis’ deal. Both Ryan and owner Woody Johnson deferred to Tannenbaum on the topic. Tannenbaum has said only that Revis is under contract, and the Jets look forward to accomplishing great things in 2012 with him.

Revis said he hasn’t talked in a while to his agents about his contract, instead choosing to focus on organized team activities. Earlier this offseason, he said he did not believe the Jets had contacted his agents about his contract.

Revis said he’ll sit down with his agents and “digest” scenarios to decide what’s best for his career. There is some fine print to consider. If he holds out, his deal will last three extra years at the modest price of $3 million per season, and he will lose the leverage of becoming a free agent after the 2013 season, with the team unable to franchise or transition tag him. He also has a $1 million bonus contingent upon reporting to camp in July.

Revis is not sure if these will play a part in his decision. He did say his experience in 2010, when he suffered a hamstring injury that nagged until midseason and scratched him from two games, would not be a factor.

While he admitted at the time that his 36-day holdout probably contributed to the injury, Revis said it’s impossible to gauge if or when injuries will occur. If a player is elite, he added, he knows how to be at the top of his game with or without training camp.

Revis said his focus has been doing everything he can on the field to help the Jets “redeem ourselves” after an 8-8 season. Off the field, though, there is an elephant in the room. Will the Jets make a move? Will Revis?

“I could come here every day and make a hassle, ‘I want to get paid,’ but if they don’t want to do that — if Mike doesn’t want to do that — then they don’t want to do that,” he said. “It might be that way. It might be they want to do it, but they’ve got to figure out the best situation to get it done.”

He added: “I saw a report on (TV), ‘Oh, he’s making this much this year, and he wants a new contract.’ Who doesn’t want a new contract? You can ask anybody in here, but the thing is if I really said it or not. I never came out and said, ‘I demand a new contract.’ I know what situation I’m in. I’ve got two years left on this deal, and when the time comes for Mike and Mr. Johnson and my representatives to talk and hash it out and figure out what is best for this organization or what’s best for me, then we’ll move forward.”

Jenny Vrentas: [email]jvrentas@starledger.com[/email]; twitter.com/JennyVrentas

All League
    [url]http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2012/06/jets_translating_weight-room_w.html[/url]

Rex Ryan was running on the treadmill at the Jets facility one day last week, maintaining his dramatically thinner frame, when he took a second to watch his players at work in the weight room.

The Jets coach saw guys pushing through lifts, moving weights and cornerback Antonio Cromartie doing bicycle pumps with his legs while doing chin-ups. Ryan thought, “Wow, we’re a strong team.”

“I want guys to be looking in the mirror, looking at themselves,” Ryan said. “You want guys who say, ‘Yeah, I’m looking good,’ feeling good about themselves, feeling strong, being able to move people. That’s what you want your team to be. We want to play the part, for sure. But it’s not bad looking the part, either.”

MORE COVERAGE OF JETS FOOTBALL• Jets stories and columns• Jets photos• Jets videos
    One key part of the Jets’ mission to improve on last season’s disappointing 8-8 finish has been fielding a faster and stronger team. They’ve been working toward that in their offseason strength and conditioning program with three words in mind: “Strength, power and explosiveness.”

Head strength and conditioning coach Bill Hughan presented that theme via power point on April 16, when the offseason program began. By the time players reported, Hughan had spent more than three months designing an offseason strength and conditioning program that would help the Jets individually and collectively function better on the field.

Ryan was proud that attendance for the voluntary offseason, including workouts and organized team activities, was 98.5 percent this year, which he said was the highest tally in his tenure with the Jets.

Star-Ledger reporters talk about Jets OTAWatch video

Hughan was hired in February 2011 to replace Sal Alosi, who resigned after the 2010 sideline tripping incident, but this was Hughan’s first offseason program with the Jets because of last year’s lockout.

The morning after players completed their exit physicals following the season-ending loss to Miami in January, Hughan began brainstorming and configuring his program.

He sought feedback from Ryan, general manager Mike Tannenbaum, coordinators and position coaches. The simple motto — turning your weaknesses into our strengths — had been on the wall in the weight room since Hughan arrived, but it became a point of emphasis this offseason and was written on the back of the team-issued T-shirts.

“He brought in more functional exercises, rather than the usual base bench (press) and stuff like that, things that would challenge our balance and our change of directions,” nose tackle Sione Pouha said. “Instead of being more one-dimensional, I’m a multi-dimensional type of player.”

One tactic was contrast training, in which players would contrast a strength exercise, like a barbell lunge, with a plyometric exercise, like jumping on and off a box. They did the exercises back to back, to build power and explosiveness even when fatigued, as they might experience in a lengthy series of plays during a game.

Each player has his own workout folder. Included are corrective exercises for physical imbalances that could result in injuries, identified by the functional movement screens scheduled at the start of the offseason program, organized team activities and training camp. And each player’s regimen is tailored to his goals.

Starting quarterback Mark Sanchez, for instance, aimed this offseason to become thicker while also maintaining his agility and speed. His weight is above 230 pounds as he added strength to both his upper and lower body.

“Being able to have more lean mass on your frame, you can withstand a little bit more of the pounding,” said Hughan, previously the assistant strength and conditioning coach for the Falcons and Raiders. “That’s how it helps him, being able to take shots, and get back up and do the next one.”

Competition also drove the offseason program. There were informal personal challenges, like when a lineman challenged Tim Tebow to hold a pair of sledgehammers out to the side for as long as possible — and Tebow beat him at the task by 14 seconds, Ryan said.

More formally, the defense and offense were each divided into two teams, competing against each other weekly in lifts, sprints and even “ultimate tag football.”

The reward was time off during camp, but players also felt their camaraderie building. Pouha’s team, which won the defensive competition, had several names, including “Team United.”
    What will the dividends be this fall? Hughan said simply, “We’ll see.”

“There is weight room strong, and there is field strong,” Hughan said. “And you want your weight room strength to translate to the field.”

Jenny Vrentas: [email]jvrentas@starledger.com[/email]; twitter.com/JennyVrentas

Veteran
    Good reads. Thanks for posting.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE]“People think I’m mad or unhappy. I’m not mad or unhappy,” Revis said. “It’s a thing where some things were said, and I think that’s what people are really focusing on. [B]It was a Band-Aid type of contract, [/B]and they were going to redo it or renew it, and it hasn’t happened yet.”
    [/QUOTE]

LOL

All Pro
    Good article. Vrentas is easily the best Jets beat writer wright now.

Makes Cimini look like a joke.

listen, i have no clue what the issues are, how much they are separated by as far as $$, etc...etc... but we all know he is not going anywhere, they want him here, he wants to be here, just pay the man...and be done with it.

great players get paid, and revis is great...i have never rooted for any player in any sport that was as good as what he is, while being as consistent as he has been...and the guy is a f'ing corner! thats a premium position probably as much as a QB and LT.

not just that, 6 years from now or whatever it is...u can move the guy to safety...and i guarantee he would be awesome at it.

Hall Of Fame
    Yeah, but how totally awesome does she think the Raiders offense is going to be?

_

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=RaoulDuke;4487170]LOL[/QUOTE]+LMFAO

The ridiculicity of this is mind numbing. We should just give him the entire salary cap and let him play all positions.

Hey Revis, "Whatever!"

"Bandaid" the amount of money Wood Johnson makes from selling them.

Hall Of Fame
    Good article.

We will see when camp comes around.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 06-08-2012 at 10:23 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=RaoulDuke;4487170]LOL[/QUOTE]

That quote tells you all you need to know.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4487253]That quote tells you all you need to know.[/QUOTE]
    Exactly.

But "I haven't said I'm holding out and I want to retire a Jet" :rolleyes:

All League
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE]He added: “I saw a report on (TV), ‘Oh, he’s making this much this year, and he wants a new contract.’ Who doesn’t want a new contract? You can ask anybody in here, but the thing is if I really said it or not. [B]I never came out and said, ‘I demand a new contract.’[/B] I know what situation I’m in. I’ve got two years left on this deal, and when the time comes for Mike and Mr. Johnson and my representatives to talk and hash it out and figure out what is best for this organization or what’s best for me, then we’ll move forward.”[/QUOTE]

These are the questions that other reporters purposely choose not to ask and the quotes other reporters purposely choose not to include in their stories.

In sum - yes - Revis would like more money - but - he knows what the deal is that he signed two years ago and he is going to be patient and hope that the Jets work out a better extension. I don't see him holding out at all this year. If he goes into training camp next season without a new deal, he be much more vocal about it.

[QUOTE=Austin;4487186]Good article. Vrentas is easily the best Jets beat writer wright now.

Makes Cimini look like a joke.[/QUOTE]
    Couldn't agree more. Excellent article. Nice to know that a common sense, factual article can still put the cheap hacks and easy-way-out trolls to shame these days...

Jenny's the best Jets beat writer by far.

Semeni-i and manish should be ashamed of themselves. No insult to Jenny but she knows way more football than these guys do... Paid professionals my a$$

Jets Insider VIP
    Nice to have one objective journalist in a press room otherwise occupied by hacks like costello hubbecccch and will of course Semen-i

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Beat writers are too close to the team to give objective analysis over the long haul, They get close to players and some they like and some they don't and it always shows up in the writing.

Revis is not going to hold out this year, he knows he no leverage- but the ability to cause a distraction. He is trying to negotiate in the media and Tannenbaum is refusing to bite.

Most likely the jets will resign him next off season to an extension. I am thinking 6 years at 15 per. with a smaller say 15 mill bonus but the first 3 years guar.

If not, he puts the full court press on, No OTAs talking about how other organizations are examples to be emulated. How every player dreams to play where he grew up. How playing in NY has good and bad points. A deep muscle bruise that limits his participation in TC, Talking about his contract situation every day. Every thing that any one has ever done that was trying to get a new deal before FA.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=TJ;4487238]+LMFAO

The ridiculicity of this is mind numbing. We should just give him the entire salary cap and let him play all positions.

Hey Revis, "Whatever!"

"Bandaid" the amount of money Wood Johnson makes from selling them.[/QUOTE]

Actually to find something that's as clear as this ridiculous is ridiculous.

Whats so hard to fathom?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Jet Nut;4488223]Actually to find something that's as clear as this ridiculous is ridiculous.

[B]Whats so hard to fathom?[/QUOTE][/B]

Calling 16.25 Million per year a "bandaid"

Hall Of Fame
    It's sad that people are commending Vrentas for writing this kind of article, just because it shows how bad every other Jets beat writer is in comparison. This story is nothing spectacular, and what is required/expected from a journalist, yet it's being praised. That speaks more to Cimini, Mehta, etc. than it does Vrentas.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=TJ;4488310][/B]

Calling 16.25 Million per year a "bandaid"[/QUOTE]

Clueless

The Jets say it was a short term deal

DR and his agents say.it was a short term. deal

NOT good enough for TJ though

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=TJ;4488310][/B]

Calling 16.25 Million per year a "bandaid"[/QUOTE]

If you're too clueless to look beyond the high end year, yes.

If you had half a brain and could see beyond that and get the actual point of the article, no.