Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ecstatic for Stephen Hill

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hill is a special talent. The only corners with his speed are half his size. If they use him right, which they will, he should be very effective. If he can learn to run routes, and set up dbs he could be a great player.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetrider;4488783]Hill only needs to prepare and perfect a couple plays each week and be given a small, albeit important role.

One or two huge plays can win games.[/QUOTE]

He needs to beat the jam, and he needs to learn a fake and come back to keep dbs honest. Mostly he needs to learn to go full speed on running plays and then seal off on the block, which he's already good at. It's not going to be a small role, though, just a simple one.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If we're playing teams with so-so semi slow corners & they can't stop the Jets run game & have to bring a few more people in the box or closer to the line of scrimmage, Thrill Hill is gonna be a HANDFUL!

This is exactly what I see happening. Sanchez sees 1 on 1 man, checks, we're going downtown baby.
    I see our coaches setting up DBs on these go routes & killing them on comebacks to Hill where they HAVE TO make the tackle on the big man or he's off to the races. He will be exciting.

Sparano will give him a lot of film on Brandon Marshall.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    There were 5 rookie receivers that caught at least 50 passes last year, and a 6th that caught 48. 5 of the 6 were taken in the 1st two rounds (3 of them in the 2nd round).

You don't get Pro Bowl numbers out of rookie receivers, except in very rare cases, but the idea that rookie receivers don't contribute is false. It's hard to get #1 production from a rookie, but there are 5-6 per year that put up good numbers for a #2 receiver.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NY's stepchild;4488782]Yes if he's starting, which is is supposed to do, he should get in the thirties, but it should be close to 700 yards. Over 20yard average. [B]I'll sign up for that with Holmes getting 1200[/B], and Kerley over 500 in a run first, but big play over the top hurry up offense. I'll bet we run 20% more plays this year compared to last. That's also going to help the defense. So happy Schotty is gone, or Hill would be running curls and outs, just to surprise the defense.[/QUOTE]

That is a very, very bold prediction. He's only done that once in his career, and that's almost double what he did last season. You're really expecting a complete transformation of the offense into something it never came close to last season with only a slight change in personnel and a new OC?
    Last edited by ASG0531; 06-11-2012 at 12:13 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think 2 catches a game is a stretch. 30 receptions should be doable.

But the one thing I want to see--FIRST play of the season--is a Hill on a straight fly pattern and Sanchez hoists up a bomb. I don't care if he overshoots him by 15 yards, I want that threat in everyone's head from the very first play of the season. So it's on everyone's films.

Get the DBs back on their heels.

_

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JStokes;4488830]I don't think 2 catches a game is a stretch. 30 receptions should be doable.

But the one thing I want to see--FIRST play of the season--is a Hill on a straight fly pattern and Sanchez hoists up a bomb. I don't care if he overshoots him by 15 yards, I want that threat in everyone's head from the very first play of the season. So it's on everyone's films.

Get the DBs back on their heels.

_[/QUOTE]

Totally agree. First possession of the year against the Bills, first snap from scrimmage.

Line up in a power running formation, go play action and bomb it to Hill. Show everyone how fast the guy is. Make them think twice about loading the box and leaving their corners on an island.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=David Harris;4488583]Agreed :eek: lol

On the over/under on 30 receptions this year I go under, well under. Maybe for the 2013 season as well actually. 30 balls is near his total college receptions for his career. He has all the tools but wideout is a very slow developmental position for news and he is very raw. He has all the talent in the world but if he makes the defense respect his speed and opens up some running lanes he's helped out this season.[/QUOTE]
    I'll take that bet.

I see Hill in the 40-45 range this season.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Austin;4488755]I'd take the over on 30 receptions.

Two catches a game is 32 receptions... If he starts (likely) and doesn't miss a ton of time, does anyone think there's any possible way he averages less than two catches per game? If so we're in HUGE trouble.[/QUOTE]
    That's what I figure. 2-3 per game.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Monsterxman;4488677]Randy Moss knew how to set people up, very natural WR skills and also had incredible production in college. He was a more refined product entering the NFL.

Also Hill has great speed, about the same as the top 1/3 of CBs in the league. Moss was faster than all of the CBs in the league.

Hill is all potential right now, but Moss is a HOFer and the most physically talented (not best) WR ever in the NFL.

I dont know if we want to be making these sorts of comparisons at this time.[/QUOTE]

His body type and height speed combo reminds me of Moss, nothing more than that. I'm not at all thinking he's on that level(nothing wrong with dreaming), just hoping maybe we found a diamond in the rough. You can't deny that his skillset is what you look for in a deep threat

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4488853]I'll take that bet.

I see Hill in the 40-45 range this season.[/QUOTE]

That seems about right to me.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dunnie;4488578]Looks like a steal !! ... If you can call a second rounder a steal.

As far a Schotty goes ... [B]He was a pass first OC on the wrong team[/B] with the wrong personnel ... It will be interesting to see how he does in St Louis with Bradford.[/QUOTE]

This makes absolutely no sense to me at all.The HC is the one that's on the wrong team.not the OC.The Jets drafted a [B]"Franchise QB[/B]" in the top 5 of the 1st round who was supposed to excelled in the passing game.They had on the team a [B] [/B] who excells at Pass blocking but is lees than your ideal run blocker. 2 Yrs ago they traded for who they believe is a #1 receiver .

How exactly is this not supposed to be a passing team.The problem was/is not the coordinator,but the people executing the offense.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    He doesn't have to catch a ton of balls to contribute, I think he'll draw coverage away from Santonio, actually expecting a big year from him if he keeps his head on straight. Also, Hill's supposed to be a willing and able blocker.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tinstar;4488876]This makes absolutely no sense to me at all.The HC is the one that's on the wrong team.not the OC.The Jets drafted a [B]"Franchise QB[/B]" in the top 5 of the 1st round who was supposed to excelled in the passing game.They had on the team a who excells at Pass blocking but is lees than your ideal run blocker. 2 Yrs ago they traded for who they believe is a #1 receiver .

How exactly is this not supposed to be a passing team.The problem was/is not the coordinator,but the people executing the offense.[/QUOTE]

So the plays were perfectly designed and coordinated to best suit the talent and skillset of the players and the defenses they faced?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SBIII;4488571][B]He just looks the part[/B],

[B][U]see who else looks the part...[/U][/B]
    chaz schilens 6'4-225-4.3
    vernon gholston, 6'3-266-4.6
    vladamir ducasse, 6'5-335
    taylor mays 6'3-230-4.3

[B]now let's see him beast out.[/B]
    no comment

[B]Very excited to see him catch the long ball..[/B]
    thats it? you just want to see 9 routes all day? id like to see him snatch the ball out the middle in-front of a safety and take it 60 yards to the house
    [/QUOTE]

question.. will the stadium be rocking with the new additions???

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tinstar;4488876]This makes absolutely no sense to me at all.The HC is the one that's on the wrong team.not the OC.The Jets drafted a [B]"Franchise QB[/B]" in the top 5 of the 1st round who was supposed to excelled in the passing game.They had on the team a [B] [/B] who excells at Pass blocking but is lees than your ideal run blocker. 2 Yrs ago they traded for who they believe is a #1 receiver .

How exactly is this not supposed to be a passing team.The problem was/is not the coordinator,but the people executing the offense.[/QUOTE]

Tinstar makes the excellent point as to how the OC can be a "pass first OC on the wrong team" when the Jets traded up to grab a QB at #5 overall, by all accounts the second-highest rated QB in the draft, and not be interested in being "pass first."

That's a huge fundamental question about the Rex era, and particularly the current upcoming season with a new OC and the publicly stated commitment to "Ground n Pound." Everything points to Sanchize putting up decent numbers in a simpler offense with an offense geared to the ground and blocking, with the occasional Sanchez long pass. Nothing speaks to Sanchez running this offense, but merely playing a complementary role. Is that what people envisioned when he was drafted?
    Last edited by ASG0531; 06-11-2012 at 02:16 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ASG0531;4488943]Tinstar makes the excellent point as to how the OC can be a "pass first OC on the wrong team" when the Jets traded up to grab a QB at #5 overall, by all accounts the second-highest rated QB in the draft, and not be interested in being "pass first."

That's a huge fundamental question about the Rex era, and particularly the current upcoming season with a new OC and the publicly stated commitment to "Ground n Pound." Everything points to Sanchize putting up decent numbers in a simpler offense with an offense geared to the ground and blocking, with the occasional Sanchez long pass. Nothing speaks to Sanchez running this offense, but merely playing a complementary role. Is that what people envisioned when he was drafted?[/QUOTE]
    The Jets were a top 5 rushing team in 2009 and 2010.

So how were they a pass first team?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4488952]The Jets were a top 5 rushing team in 2009 and 2010.

So how were they a pass first team?[/QUOTE]

I never said they were... Schotty was claimed to be a "pass first" OC on the "wrong team." Read more carefully.

The real question is why are they NOT interested in being "pass first" with a #5 overall QB, 4 years later?
    Last edited by ASG0531; 06-11-2012 at 02:35 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Tinstar;4488876]This makes absolutely no sense to me at all.The HC is the one that's on the wrong team.not the OC.The Jets drafted a [B]"Franchise QB[/B]" in the top 5 of the 1st round who was supposed to excelled in the passing game.They had on the team a [B] [/B] who excells at Pass blocking but is lees than your ideal run blocker. 2 Yrs ago they traded for who they believe is a #1 receiver .

So explain the Aikman Cowboys. They had a franchise QB, taken 1. They had a great HOF WR etc, etc and were a ground and pound team.

Worked kind of well there.:yes:

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ASG0531;4488956]I never said they were... Schotty was claimed to be the "pass first" OC on the "wrong team." Read more carefully.

The real question is why are they NOT interested in being "pass first" with a #5 overall QB? And still not, 4 years later?[/QUOTE]

One poster said that.

I happen to think that Shoddy's deficiencies are his inability to design plays that fit the skillset of his players and his inability to make in-game adjustments.

Regardlss of his "philosophy," he simply did not play to the strengths of his players and put them in positions to fail. A prime example of this being Sanchez' 50+ pass game.

Just because Sanchez was drafted #5 doesn't necessarily imply that he's Andrew Luck or RGIII. 2009 wasn't exactly the strongest draft for QB's. After Stafford, Sanchez and Freeman in the 1st, there was Pat White in the 2nd and no QB's taken after that until the 4th round. The Jets decided they needed a QB and that Sanchez was the best QB available and he wasn't going to be there when they picked at #17.