Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dustin Keller hopes to sign new deal as he sees Jets teammates earn extensions

All League

Dustin Keller hopes to sign new deal as he sees Jets teammates earn extensions

NEW YORK -- Dustin Keller has seen some of the Jets young "core" players earn contract extensions the past few summers, including D'Brickashaw Ferguson, David Harris, Nick Mangold and Darrelle Revis.
    A few months ago, the team also extended quarterback Mark Sanchez.

The Jets tight end, who is entering the fifth and final year of his rookie deal, said it was his offseason goal to join that group and get an extension done. But Keller said so far there has been no offer and the sides haven't gotten too far in initial talks.
    "Obviously, I'd like to be one of those core guys that they consider that's going to help the team win and be part of that," Keller said tonight at his bowling tournament to benefit three charities, including his Dustin Keller Foundation. "I feel I am, but still you want to get that contract done. That pretty much makes it official."
    Keller will earn just more than $3 million this year. But he would like "to be a Jet for a long time" and feels like he's put in the work toward that goal of long-term security.

Keller said when his representatives have tried to approach the Jets about working something out, "it hasn't really moved too much." He's still hopeful, because he knows others have reached deals in the summer, but he admitted "it's a little frustrating" to be waiting.
    "But it's part of the game," he said. "I still have a year left on my contract, and regardless of what happens, we're going to play out that contract. But obviously the ideal situation would be for me to get an extension."
    Keller saw the new deal Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski received a few days ago, a new six-year, $53 million deal when he still had two years left on his contract. Keller politely declined to answer when asked if that could be used to accelerate his own contract talks, but he said he is happy for Gronkowski.
    "He had two years left on his contract and was able to get a real nice deal done," Keller said. "Well above what the market before that was for tight ends. I'm really happy for him, and he's earned it for sure."
    The Jets could elect to apply the franchise tag to Keller in 2013 instead of giving him a long-term deal. The value of the tag was scheduled to be about $5.5 million but should raise after Gronkowski's deal.
    Keller made it clear he wouldn't be happy with a tag.

Several of his teammates took part in Keller's event tonight, which he expected to raise about $150,000 to be split between his foundation, the Chelsea Piers scholarship fund and PlaySmart. The organizations all help provide athletic and academic opportunities for underprivileged kids.
    This was the kind of event that Keller hopes shows he's a leader for the team and community. Over Memorial Day, he arranged a cruise on the Hudson River for his fellow tight ends and a few receivers.
    "I definitely have tried to be that guy," he said. "I've tried to be a leader on and off the field, and I'm going to continue to do whatever I can to make that happen. But at the end of the day, if they want to extend me they will; if they don't, that's what happens."
    Keller's numbers have steadily increased each year, and he led the team in catches last year. He's the only receiver or tight end that's been with Sanchez for his entire Jets career.
    "His weapons are always changing, and I think that makes it tough on him," Keller said. "You want to have a constant, somebody that has been there and done that, and you know how to go through all of it together. So I think that would be an ideal situation."
    For more Jets coverage, follow Jenny Vrentas on Twitter at twitter.com/Jennyvrentas
    Jenny Vrentas: [email]jvrentas@starledger.com[/email]

Jets Insider VIP
    Keller is a one dimensional tight end. He shows flashes but is highly inconsistent.

I beleive keller thinks he is better then he is. And is going to want top tight end money. The problem is, he is not a top tight end.

The jets are playing it smart here and will not overpay.

I believe this will be the final year that keller plays in the green and white.

I believe I read recently the Jets are 17 million over the cap for next season,Yes I know we have some easy cuts but we still need to replace them and deal with Revis. Keller is going to walk, we need a blocking tightend that can slip out and catch the ball. Keller is one of the easiest core players to replace

Hall Of Fame
    No thanks.

Though I hope the Jets benefit from him being in contract mode.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=auctionking;4489267]I believe [B]I read recently the Jets are 17 million over the cap for next season[/B],Yes I know we have some easy cuts but we still need to replace them and deal with Revis. Keller is going to walk, we need a blocking tightend that can slip out and catch the ball. Keller is one of the easiest core players to replace[/QUOTE]

Link? Because that is absolutely not true.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Austin;4489271]Link? Because that is absolutely not true.[/QUOTE]

From what I heard the salary cap will be basically the same for the next two years. I am sure we have some back-loaded contracts. Might not be too far fetched. Saving grace might be that those might not be guaranteed money.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 06-11-2012 at 08:41 PM.

[QUOTE=Austin;4489271]Link? Because that is absolutely not true.[/QUOTE]

Actually, it's closer to $19 million. But no worries...

[url]http://www.nyjetscap.com/2012_Articles/claytoncap.php[/url]

Banned
    This is from nyjetscap.com regarding the cap next year.

[QUOTE]Addressing the John Clayton 2013 Cap Report

Iíve gotten more than a few emails and tweets about the Jets 2013 salary cap so I figure I would just address it here. The issue came from an article from John Clayton of ESPN where he is discussing the future caps and how the new CBA rewards a different spending mindset. I think that premise is wrong since the cap carryover has always been in the CBA, you just needed to get creative to utilize it whereas now you just carry it over, but thatís neither here nor there. The issue I get the questions on are the Jets being $19 million over the projected salary cap.

My current estimates have the Jets committed to about $139.25 million in cap charges for next season including the minimum workout bonuses. That would seem to coincide with Claytonís information on the team so Iíd imagine my figures are within $1 million of the real total as of today. The Jets have 50 players under contract so the roster is relatively full, though many of the names on the list wonít be here next season. The low wage earners like Matt Simms will be replaced by a new crop of UDFAs making about $405K in 2013 rather than $480K but letís just assume that balances out since they do need to get to 53 names at some point in time.

So why is that $19 million misleading? Because it has no look at the Jets roster makeup and flexibility the team has in navigating the roster. The group that I call ďThe Big FourĒ is a bonanza in cap savings. The Big Four are Calvin Pace, Bart Scott, Wayne Hunter, and Eric Smith. Barring a miracle none will be on the team next season and even if the miracle occurs would be nowhere near their current salaries. Those four represent $22.71 million in cap savings prior to free agency and the draft. That immediately puts the Jets at a salary of about $116.5 million, which would be $4.5 million or so under the Clayton projected cap.

The Jets will also have carry over space. As of June 9 they had about $6 million in cap room with only one rookie remaining to sign. There will be a few changes here and there that will likely bring that number down to $4 million over the course of the year, assuming they donít use their option to borrow against future caps, which will all be carried over giving the team now $8 million in cap room.

Finally you have a number of deals that can be renegotiated. Nick Mangold has a $3 million dollar roster bonus that can be converted to a signing bonus and spread out over 5 years to save $2.4 million. Antonio Cromartie could be extended or save the team some money in a roster bonus conversion. Santonio Holmes and David Harris both could give the team more cap room with renegotiations. If Kenrick Ellis makes Sione Pouha expendable thatís another $4 million in savings.

So, yes, as of today the Jets are $19 million or so over the cap in 2013, but its nothing to worry about or nothing that has not been planned for by the organization. So enjoy 2012 and lets really worry about 2013 next January or February rather than before the 2012 season even begins.
    [/QUOTE]

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4489266]Keller is a one dimensional tight end. He shows flashes but is highly inconsistent.

I beleive keller thinks he is better then he is. And is going to want top tight end money. The problem is, he is not a top tight end.

The jets are playing it smart here and will not overpay.

I believe this will be the final year that keller plays in the green and white.[/QUOTE]

+1

I'd prefer to just let Keller walk and draft a more traditional TE.

Someone 6'6 260+ who can block first and foremost and make a few plays over the middle and in the redzone. Basically a 6th OL with decent hands and athleticism.

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

I like Dustin Keller a lot & he is "the constant" with #6. It would be nice if he could also retire as a NYJ, however, I said this was going to be a problem the day I heard Dustin signed with Drew Rosenhaus.

Should I look forward to "thank you sweet Jesus for getting us out of here" tweets from Dustin's camp? (-;

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4489272]From what I heard the salary cap will be basically the same for the next two years. I am sure we have some back-loaded contracts. Might not be too far fetched. Saving grace might be that those might not be guaranteed money.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Choon328;4489279]This is from nyjetscap.com regarding the cap next year.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]So why is that $19 million misleading? Because it has no look at the Jets roster makeup and flexibility the team has in navigating the roster. The group that I call ďThe Big FourĒ is a bonanza in cap savings. The Big Four are Calvin Pace, Bart Scott, Wayne Hunter, and Eric Smith. Barring a miracle none will be on the team next season and even if the miracle occurs would be nowhere near their current salaries. Those four represent $22.71 million in cap savings prior to free agency and the draft. That immediately puts the Jets at a salary of about $116.5 million, which would be $4.5 million or so under the Clayton projected cap.[/QUOTE]

I figured that. Plus the carryover. We won't be able to do anything big but we will be able to sign our picks and keep the doors open.

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4489290]I figured that. Plus the carryover. We won't be able to do anything big but we will be able to sign our picks and keep the doors open.[/QUOTE]

...and Revis?

Jets Insider VIP
    Who knows. Maybe the Australian Nightmare can play the position. Tight end seems to be an easier position to learn. I say that because many of these guys played basketball in college and made the transition to nfl tight end pretty quickly.

Yeah wants more money to only show up for 4 games a season.

Jets Insider VIP
    I honestly think Josh Baker could provide similar production.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=GuidoYaztremski;4489299]...and Revis?[/QUOTE]

This has been well-documented.

I just read that Giants cut jake Ballard. He would fit the mold better in terms of blocker who can catch. Don't know his injury situation but I would love to bring him in if he's healthy soon

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=suprjet;4489413]I just read that Giants cut jake Ballard. He would fit the mold better in terms of blocker who can catch. Don't know his injury situation but I would love to bring him in if he's healthy soon[/QUOTE]

Ballard himself said he will like to return to the Giants in 2013. He will miss all of this season. Failed his physical which is why he was cut.

Dude needs to pull his socks up this year if he wants to be considered one of the premier TE's in the sport. He has the hands and athleticism, but there are clear plays when he shies away from contact and goes into a shell. He needs to show more mental strength and willingness to lay the licking on people.

It shows in his lack of commitment to proper blocking and sustaining blocking once he's made contact with a defender. BE would be a better blocking TE.

If anything he should be motivated (which is what he needs in pads and cleats) by this being a contract year.

[QUOTE=Choon328;4489279]This is from nyjetscap.com regarding the cap next year.[/QUOTE]
    Addressing the John Clayton 2013 Cap Report

The jets will have no trouble getting under the cap next year, just by cutting those four players who do not appear to be in the long range plans. I question your premise on the $$ carry over. Your not accounting for 1 mill for the practice squad and any incentives that the players have in their contracts. Nor do you account for any August Vet FA signings,( I think the jets will be looking hard at FS and RT cuts) Plus teams usually sign a player during the season to replace an injury.

So a combination of FA signings, in season injury replacement, practice squad, player incentives etc will eat that 4 mill up.