Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dustin Keller hopes to sign new deal as he sees Jets teammates earn extensions

[QUOTE=patman;4489461]Addressing the John Clayton 2013 Cap Report

The jets will have no trouble getting under the cap next year, just by cutting those four players who do not appear to be in the long range plans. I question your premise on the $$ carry over. Your not accounting for 1 mill for the practice squad and any incentives that the players have in their contracts. Nor do you account for any August Vet FA signings,( I think the jets will be looking hard at FS and RT cuts) Plus teams usually sign a player during the season to replace an injury.

So a combination of FA signings, in season injury replacement, practice squad, player incentives etc will eat that 4 mill up.[/QUOTE]

But they will obviously make other moves to save cap room. They'll need a few extra million just to rewrite Revis' band-aid deal alone. I wonder which teammate will be willing to ammend their contact so Revis can get more money?

Banned
    [QUOTE=JetFreak89;4489241]

"But it's part of the game," he said. "I still have a year left on my contract, and regardless of what happens, [B][U]we're going to play out that contract[/U][/B]. But obviously the ideal situation would be for me to get an extension."

[/QUOTE]

What a novel concept. :rolleyes:

Good for Keller.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=patman;4489461]Addressing the John Clayton 2013 Cap Report

The jets will have no trouble getting under the cap next year, just by cutting those four players who do not appear to be in the long range plans. I question your premise on the $$ carry over. Your not accounting for 1 mill for the practice squad and any incentives that the players have in their contracts. Nor do you account for any August Vet FA signings,( I think the jets will be looking hard at FS and RT cuts) Plus teams usually sign a player during the season to replace an injury.

So a combination of FA signings, in season injury replacement, practice squad, player incentives etc will eat that 4 mill up.[/QUOTE]

They say the same thing every year, and every year we get under the cap and sign a bunch of players. I think Mike may be even smarter than Clayton.:rolleyes:

All Pro
    I loved Keller but the first thing I think of when I hear his name now is that ball being pulled out of his hands against GreenBay, and how much different that game and season may have gone if he had more fight in him than a nickelback.

[QUOTE=Untouchable;4489286]+1

I'd prefer to just let Keller walk and draft a more traditional TE.

Someone 6'6 260+ who can block first and foremost and make a few plays over the middle and in the redzone. Basically a 6th OL with decent hands and athleticism.[/QUOTE]

I know its wishful thinking but i think you just described Hayden Smith:yes:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

For whatever reason, the Jets can't seem to find a TE that is anything other than one dimensional. Keller is a great pass catcher but can't really block at all. Baker and Cumberland are projects in the Keller mold. Hartstock and Mulligan, OTOH, can't catch a cold. They both had absolutely no pass catching ability. No moves and no ability to hang on to the ball.

It would be nice if our #2 TE would be able to catch an occasional ball when he's left uncovered. I always view Matt Spaeth as the quintessential #2 blocking TE who, in a pinch, can run 6 yards, turn around and catch a ball on occasion. He did that in front of Harris for a TD a couple of years ago.

It can't be that hard to find a guy like that, can it?

[QUOTE=crasherino;4489534]For whatever reason, the Jets can't seem to find a TE that is anything other than one dimensional. Keller is a great pass catcher but can't really block at all. Baker and Cumberland are projects in the Keller mold. Hartstock and Mulligan, OTOH, can't catch a cold. They both had absolutely no pass catching ability. No moves and no ability to hang on to the ball.

It would be nice if our #2 TE would be able to catch an occasional ball when he's left uncovered. I always view Matt Spaeth as the quintessential #2 blocking TE who, in a pinch, can run 6 yards, turn around and catch a ball on occasion. He did that in front of Harris for a TD a couple of years ago.

It can't be that hard to find a guy like that, can it?[/QUOTE]

Seems like Tight Ends are to the Jets front office are like what pitchers are to Brian Cashman - impossible to evaluate. All the useless 1st round picks over the years and absolute duds like Doug Jolley and Mulligan. It's laughable.

Banned
    [QUOTE=crasherino;4489534]For whatever reason, the Jets can't seem to find a TE that is anything other than one dimensional. Keller is a great pass catcher but can't really block at all. Baker and Cumberland are projects in the Keller mold. Hartstock and Mulligan, OTOH, can't catch a cold. They both had absolutely no pass catching ability. No moves and no ability to hang on to the ball.

I think there are a bunch of athletic TE's out there who can catch the football.

The trick is, finding one of those guys who can block as well.

All Pro

I don't know. Keller seems to have learned to block adequately. The problem is while he teases with his ability. He completely disappears for long stretches. Actually it's more like he appears for short stretches. He can dominate a game, but he doesn't. He's not keeping defensive coordinators up at night. That's for sure.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=NY's stepchild;4489546]I don't know. Keller seems to have learned to block adequately. The problem is while he teases with his ability. He completely disappears for long stretches. Actually it's more like he appears for short stretches. He can dominate a game, but he doesn't. He's not keeping defensive coordinators up at night. That's for sure.[/QUOTE]

Keller has risen to approach the level of "adequate blocker". Considering his skill set, I'm OK with that. I'm more focused on the fact that we can't find a big TE that can rise to the level of adequate pass catcher which essentially means that he can, at times, 1) put a move on LB in one on one coverage to get slight separation, 2) catch the ball when he's wide open and 3) turn and run without falling down.

Perhaps we may have to pay more than vet minimum for that guy, which considering we paid over $1 mil/yr with Hartsock, I'm OK with. The Jets have relied on a 6th Olineman as a blocking TE which is fine at times, but either we are running the ball in those situations, which is no suprrise, or we go play action pass, which works at times, but when the D is not fooled, there is only 2 or so receivers out in a pattern. You don't see much of Vlad blocking down and then releasing in the flat for a quick hit. SOmething a blocking TE should be able to do.

This is obviously not a core issue with the team (there are greater concerns for sure), but its something that the Jets have always seem to be missing.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=crasherino;4489550]Keller has risen to approach the level of "adequate blocker". Considering his skill set, I'm OK with that. I'm more focused on the fact that we can't find a big TE that can rise to the level of adequate pass catcher which essentially means that he can, at times, 1) put a move on LB in one on one coverage to get slight separation, 2) catch the ball when he's wide open and 3) turn and run without falling down.

Perhaps we may have to pay more than vet minimum for that guy, which considering we paid over $1 mil/yr with Hartsock, I'm OK with. The Jets have relied on a 6th Olineman as a blocking TE which is fine at times, but either we are running the ball in those situations, which is no suprrise, or we go play action pass, which works at times, but when the D is not fooled, there is only 2 or so receivers out in a pattern. You don't see much of Vlad blocking down and then releasing in the flat for a quick hit. SOmething a blocking TE should be able to do.

This is obviously not a core issue with the team (there are greater concerns for sure), but its something that the Jets have always seem to be missing.[/QUOTE]

I'll bet Tebow could block if he puts his mind to it.;) The problem I have with Keller is that if you're going to pay a tight end elite money he better strech the field, and he doesn't consistently. We could get two of those very good blocking TEs that can catch with money we pay/will pay him, and have some left over for one of those ball hawking safety.
    Last edited by NY's stepchild; 06-12-2012 at 10:21 AM.

You guys want Keller to walk, and then next season when our starting TE is Ben Hartsock you will be crying for a TE who can catch the ball and make plays. Keller needs to stay for a reasonable contract. If he's asking for elite TE money, no one is going to give it to him.

Keller is the epitomy of an average TE
    1- Below average blocker
    2- Has trouble getting separation
    3- Does NOT break tackles
    4- Drops too many "in traffic" balls
    5- Only gets good yardage when "WIDE OPEN"
    6- Disappears for long stretches
    7- Can EASILY be replaced & since he was a late 1st round pick, has already made more money than he was worth.

Bye Bye...........................................Just his answers to the press give you the feeling he deep down knows all of the above, while Drew is stroking him about being one of the best TEs in the league. The idea that Jenny brought up Gronkowskis deal is like apples & oranges! Like asking Jakoby Jones if Megatron signing a new deal might help him push along his getting an extention!

[QUOTE=Ron Swanson;4489648]You guys want Keller to walk, and then next season when our starting TE is Ben Hartsock you will be crying for a TE who can catch the ball and make plays. Keller needs to stay for a reasonable contract. If he's asking for elite TE money, no one is going to give it to him.[/QUOTE]

[B][U]REASONABLE[/U][/B] is the correct word here.

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

[QUOTE=jetster;4489662][B][U]REASONABLE[/U][/B] is the correct word here.[/QUOTE]

I've never heard the word reasonable used in the same sentence with Drew Rosenhaus. Everyone including Rosenhaus better get their "group prayer on" that the Jets go all the way this season.

Once the team gets to the Altar & gets the ring, then guys like Dustin will get big TE money, but more than likely with a smaller market team looking to make the next big splash rather than the Jets paying thru the ass for an average blocking TE next season.

JMHO. ;)

Good post.

A guy we should be targeting right now is Daniel Graham. He just got released by the Titans today because they didn't want to pay his $2MM salary.

He is a little old, but he's still a blocking TE that is at least competent in catching a ball. And more importantly, he doesn't suck and doesn't rack up penalties like Mulligan. He's a good stogap guy for us this year.

Veteran
    The whole offense seems to disappear not just Keller. It is frustrating to watch WR's/TE's getting no seperation. I don't see him getting big money from anyone unless he has a great season.

All League
    [QUOTE=Ron Swanson;4489648]You guys want Keller to walk, and then next season when our starting TE is Ben Hartsock you will be crying for a TE who can catch the ball and make plays. Keller needs to stay for a reasonable contract. If he's asking for elite TE money, no one is going to give it to him.[/QUOTE]

The problem is the Jets wish they still had Hartstock as a TE this season and last.

[QUOTE=Limolady;4489819]I've never heard the word reasonable used in the same sentence with Drew Rosenhaus. Everyone including Rosenhaus better get their "group prayer on" that the Jets go all the way this season.

Once the team gets to the Altar & gets the ring, then guys like Dustin will get big TE money, but more than likely with a smaller market team looking to make the next big splash rather than the Jets paying thru the ass for an average blocking TE next season.

JMHO. ;)[/QUOTE]

Rosenhaus represents Gronk as well, and he left a lot of money on the table with his recent deal.

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

[QUOTE=ASG0531;4489991]Rosenhaus represents Gronk as well, and he left a lot of money on the table with his recent deal.[/QUOTE]

I just don't see Dustin getting $54 million & a six year extension, but if he is part of a SB winning team this season he could come close to getting that kind of deal from another team next season.