Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dustin Keller hopes to sign new deal as he sees Jets teammates earn extensions

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Limolady;4490006]I just don't see Dustin getting $54 million & a six year extension, but if he is part of a SB winning team this season he could come close to getting that kind of deal from another team next season.[/QUOTE]

I never said that, my point was that Gronk just set the TE market with a pretty reasonable deal, and is represented by Rosenhaus just like Keller is... so there's a better chance of Keller getting a reasonable deal that is a certain fraction of Gronk's value.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    No way the Jets should overpay for Keller unless he has a standout year for them this season. Guy can't block and as a receiving TE I wouldn't even rank him as top 5.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ron Swanson;4489648]You guys want Keller to walk, and then next season when our starting TE is Ben Hartsock you will be crying for a TE who can catch the ball and make plays. Keller needs to stay for a reasonable contract. If he's asking for elite TE money, no one is going to give it to him.[/QUOTE]

If Rosenhaus is Keller's agent he won't be asking for reasonable money. Take that to the bank.

Jets would be better off drafting a TE next Spring. There's usually 1-2 TE's with same or better talent as Keller every year in the draft. Maybe we can get a TE who can catch and block (what a concept!).

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ASG0531;4490012]I never said that, my point was that Gronk just set the TE market with a pretty reasonable deal, and is represented by Rosenhaus just like Keller is... so there's a better chance of Keller getting a reasonable deal that is a certain fraction of Gronk's value.[/QUOTE]

Gronk just got paid stupid money & Rosenhaus just got a lot richer whether or not this guy plays another down. I promise you one thing though, Kraft & Bellycheat will get burned like witches in Salem by this time next year because of this deal. Gronk is going to lay down like a slut in a biker bar, take his $18 million in guarantee money & go home.

Wait, watch & see what always happens to those that deal with the devil.

;)

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Kick him off

Keller drops balls, plain and simple. He has the hand-eye coordination of a guy who just blew .15. Not only that; he's not that bright.
    There's one play I clearly remember Keller in last year. He caught the ball, ran out of bounds, and came back in. He was going to get tackled, and did some stupid back flip landing on his neck. I thought he was done, but he got up and brushed it off.

A tight end that a) shows that much lack of awareness (of the sideline) and b) thinks that landing on his neck is a good avoidance tactic; well, we should pass him up.

The brutal truth is: we need a tight end that can gain some traction with Sanchez. I've seen more than once Keller's dropped pass kill Sanchez's momentum. We also need someone who can block like Kris Jenkins.

I have an idea. Tell Keller that every dropped pass (that was in the realm of possibility) means $50,000 subtracted from his salary. To all you Keller lovers out there...little news flash...he would be writing a check to WJ pretty early in the season.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NY's stepchild;4489556]I'll bet Tebow could block if he puts his mind to it.;) The problem I have with Keller is that if you're going to pay a tight end elite money he better strech the field, and he doesn't consistently. We could get two of those very good blocking TEs that can catch with money we pay/will pay him, and have some left over for one of those ball hawking safety.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you. Killer-Keller gets a few good plays in a game every once in awhile. Then he will drop and important pass and choke off rallies. Sorry but no big money for this player. Lets see what we have with Cumberland , Hayden and Baker this year. If Killer-Keller has another up and down season, no way he is a Jet next year! We can draft a TE or sign a guy who shakes loose from other teams as long as he can catch, run and block competantly.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Limolady;4490066]Gronk just got paid stupid money & Rosenhaus just got a lot richer whether or not this guy plays another down. I promise you one thing though, Kraft & Bellycheat will get burned like witches in Salem by this time next year because of this deal. Gronk is going to lay down like a slut in a biker bar, take his $18 million in guarantee money & go home.

;)[/QUOTE]

I do agree with you Limo. You are saying it like it is!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NY's stepchild;4489511]They say the same thing every year, and every year we get under the cap and sign a bunch of players. I think Mike may be even smarter than Clayton.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Agreed, there is no reason the jets can rework contracts next off season to sign players next year. I just took exception to the stated 4 mill carryover without making any allowances for the practice squad, FA signings or incentives earned. For example in Landry plays 10 games he gets another mill, if he plays all 16 games he gets 1.7 mill that is not accounted for in this years cap.
    Last edited by patman; 06-12-2012 at 08:15 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Limolady;4490066]Gronk just got paid stupid money & Rosenhaus just got a lot richer whether or not this guy plays another down. I promise you one thing though, Kraft & Bellycheat will get burned like witches in Salem by this time next year because of this deal. Gronk is going to lay down like a slut in a biker bar, take his $18 million in guarantee money & go home.

;)[/QUOTE]

Meh...a bunch of these guys hit it big in guaranteed money and haven't exactly layed down.

[IMG]http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/Screen%20Shot%202012-06-08%20at%203.44.48%20PM.png[/IMG]

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I believe Anthony Fasano is a free agent at the end of this season. One of the better blocking TEs in the game and a sneaky receiver (18 TDs over the past 4 seasons vs. Keller's 14). Doesn't put up monster receptions and yards because he doesn't get targeted a ton, but makes the most of them. Therefore, he will not cost that much at all.

Jersey boy, he is tight with Sparano and at 29 (next April) he's still young. I can totally see it happening.

I understand how important Keller is to Sanchez, but if Sanchez can get his rapport going with Santonio again, keep improving it with Kerley and manage to get S. Hill involved, then a one-dimensional TE isn't the most important thing, especially one that will likely fetch a big contract.

I do like Keller a lot and he has had some big games for the Jets, but just thinking business-wise here.

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GuidoYaztremski;4490195]Meh...a bunch of these guys hit it big in guaranteed money and haven't exactly layed down.
    [/QUOTE]

In case you didn't read my post, please re-read & then get back to me on June 13, 2013 so we can re-visit this topic and you can tell me how right I was about everything.

Until then........................:byebye:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't see Keller getting getting 1/2 that from anybody. I say about 5 years and 25 mill max

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BamaJets;4490356]I believe Anthony Fasano is a free agent at the end of this season. One of the better blocking TEs in the game and a sneaky receiver (18 TDs over the past 4 seasons vs. Keller's 14). Doesn't put up monster receptions and yards because he doesn't get targeted a ton, but makes the most of them. Therefore, he will not cost that much at all.

Jersey boy, he is tight with Sparano and at 29 (next April) he's still young. I can totally see it happening.

I understand how important Keller is to Sanchez, but if Sanchez can get his rapport going with Santonio again, keep improving it with Kerley and manage to get S. Hill involved, then a one-dimensional TE isn't the most important thing, especially one that will likely fetch a big contract.

I do like Keller a lot and he has had some big games for the Jets, but just thinking business-wise here.[/QUOTE]

Fasano is an excellent blocker. I think he has the potential to be a decent receiver he has never been on a team where he was the #1 or 2 target. Sanchez likes using the safety valve in the passing game so Fasano's receptions and yards would go up in our offense. I'd rather spend less money on Fasano than the King's ransom on Keller.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GuidoYaztremski;4489278]Actually, it's closer to $19 million. But no worries...

[url]http://www.nyjetscap.com/2012_Articles/claytoncap.php[/url][/QUOTE]

You do realize that it is John Clayton saying $19 million over but the article states how easy it will be for us to be $10 million under?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CanadaSteve;4491249]You do realize that it is John Clayton saying $19 million over but the article states how easy it will be for us to be $10 million under?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I realize that. That's why I said they are $19 million over, but [B]no worries.[/B]????

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GuidoYaztremski;4491273]Yes, I realize that. That's why I said they are $19 million over, but [B]no worries.[/B]????[/QUOTE]

Every year Pasts trolls tell us we'll be in cap hell...

We never are...

Every year Jets trolls tell the Pasts trolls the Pasts will finally fall off a cliff...

They never do...

And the cycle continues...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Limolady;4490556]In case you didn't read my post, please re-read & then get back to me on June 13, 2013 so we can re-visit this topic and you can tell me how right I was about everything.

Until then........................:byebye:[/QUOTE]

I never say this to anyone explicitly, but your post was really, really stupid. Feel free to worship whatever god(s) you think are going to smite Belichick, though.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4491281]Every year Pasts trolls tell us we'll be in cap hell...

We never are...

Every year Jets trolls tell the Pasts trolls the Pasts will finally fall off a cliff...

They never do...

And the cycle continues...[/QUOTE]

lol, this is so true. One day, one of us will be right. ;)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4491281]Every year Pasts trolls tell us we'll be in cap hell...

We never are...

They never do...

And the cycle continues...[/QUOTE]

We will never be in "cap hell" but we will be cap strapped for a couple of years. We were this offseason and it looks like we will be next offseason. But it is not b.c we made terrible contracts. We locked up our core players. We will have some more room with the expiring contracts but that will get eaten up by #24. Not the worst thing in the world, we just have to draft really well. And that is how good teams are made anyways, in the draft, not FA.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4491524]We locked up our core players.[/QUOTE]

This was the entire point I was trying to stress...

A couple years ago I can pull up 300 posts from Pasts trolls telling us there it is IMPOSSIBLE for us to keep Harris, Revis, Brick and Mangold...

That's all I was driving at.