Thread: Words the Government Uses to Spy on You

Words the Government Uses to Spy on You

[QUOTE]A short burst of hail and sleet falling from a cloud over San Diego has caused delays on the subway. Bad organization through social media means that my team exercise drill has been cancelled. It’s actually a relief as I’ve been feeling sick after eating some pork that had a worm in it.

These three sentences may sound odd for a number of reasons. First, there is no subway in San Diego. Second, even if there were one, the chances of its being affected by hail or sleet would be minuscule. (I’m not even going to go into why I might be eating pork with worms in it.)

However, the main reason these few sentences are peculiar is that they contain 17 (seventeen!) keywords that will be picked up by government analysts monitoring social media and online news outlets. Believe it or not, what they’re trolling for are signs of terrorist attacks and other threats to the U.S.

A recent Freedom of Information request has forced the Department of Homeland Security to release the keywords and phrases it uses to patrol the web for domestic and external threats. The list contains obvious terms like “dirty bomb,” “assassination” and “Al Qaeda,” but also includes such broad and ambiguous terms as “Mexico,” “agriculture,” and “wave”.

The Electronic Privacy Information Center – the watchdog group that filed the Freedom of Information request—pointed out that the list of keywords includes “vast amounts of First Amendment protected speech that is entirely unrelated to the Department of Homeland Security mission to protect the public against terrorism and disasters.”

Read the Homeland Security manual here, or take a look at the full list of keywords below and let us know what you think.

[url]http://whowhatwhy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/key-words.jpg[/url]

[url]http://whowhatwhy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/key-words-2.jpg[/url]

[url]http://whowhatwhy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/key-words-3.jpg[/url][/QUOTE]

[url]http://12160.info/profiles/blogs/pork-cloud-cops-the-list-of-words-you-can-t-say-online-without?xg_source=activity[/url]

That's how intelligence works. You look for words or combinations of words used in a frequency. That has been how info has been gathered for generations. It works.

[QUOTE=palmetto defender;4489516]That's how intelligence works. You look for words or combinations of words used in a frequency. That has been how info has been gathered for generations. It works.[/QUOTE]

PD the difference here is that this is now being used on [B]Americans[/B] without a warrant or judges order

[QUOTE=Jetdawgg;4489699]PD the difference here is that this is now being used on [B]Americans[/B] without a warrant or judges order[/QUOTE]

JD, I am sure based on what you expose about yourself that you are not a criminal or lawbreaker. Nor am I.
    I and you have nothing to worry about. Let's keep safe. BTW, Americans can support terrorist causes - both Islamic and right wing. You have a boatload of terror potential in Paterson NJ and Michigan.
    Potential attacks versus Fort Dix, the NY gas cannister fiasco and others.
    How about the Fort Hood guy?

[QUOTE=Jetdawgg;4489699]PD the difference here is that this is now being used on [B]Americans[/B] without a warrant or judges order[/QUOTE]

They are posting on public forums, no expectation of privacy.

[QUOTE=palmetto defender;4489723]JD, I am sure based on what you expose about yourself that you are not a criminal or lawbreaker. Nor am I.
    I and you have nothing to worry about. Let's keep safe. BTW, Americans can support terrorist causes - both Islamic and right wing. You have a boatload of terror potential in Paterson NJ and Michigan.
    Potential attacks versus Fort Dix, the NY gas cannister fiasco and others.
    How about the Fort Hood guy?[/QUOTE]

I just had a background check on me as I purchased a new firearm. Also I have had background checks upon me due to some work I have done in the past. I am ok with that as I put myself in the position to obtain that type of scrutiny.

The government cannot protect you. Even the police arrive for the most part after the crime has been committed.

I am not one to give up my rights to the government. I firmly believe in the 2nd an 4th amendments in the Bill Of Rights.

If ONLY Arab/Muslims were involved in the 911 tragedy why are we ALL being spied upon? When did EVERY American become a suspect? How did this happen? Who made the decision?

This is nothing more than 'profiling' at nearly the highest level. Furthermore, the corporations are getting richer because of this disaster.

[QUOTE=cr726;4489731]They are posting on public forums, no expectation of privacy.[/QUOTE]

From what I know, this is also done on private phone calls:

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSA_warrantless_surveillance_controversy[/url]

[QUOTE=Jetdawgg;4489762]From what I know, this is also done on private phone calls:

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSA_warrantless_surveillance_controversy[/url][/QUOTE]

Your original piece was on the Internet.

[QUOTE=cr726;4489783]Your original piece was on the Internet.[/QUOTE]

VOIP is a conversation over the internet.

[QUOTE=Jetdawgg;4489758]I just had a background check on me as I purchased a new firearm. Also I have had background checks upon me due to some work I have done in the past. I am ok with that as I put myself in the position to obtain that type of scrutiny.

The government cannot protect you. Even the police arrive for the most part after the crime has been committed.

I am not one to give up my rights to the government. I firmly believe in the 2nd an 4th amendments in the Bill Of Rights.

If ONLY Arab/Muslims were involved in the 911 tragedy why are we ALL being spied upon? When did EVERY American become a suspect? How did this happen? Who made the decision?

This is nothing more than 'profiling' at nearly the highest level. Furthermore, the corporations are getting richer because of this disaster.[/QUOTE]

I had my first background check done on me in the late 60s - Army. Again by the Army for nuclear weapons.
    After I left the Army, I had a comany actually questioning people in my neighborhood about me and my character etc.
    Never gave an ok for any of it. Didn't care - it's part of the program.

As far as terrorists? Timothy McVeigh was not a moslem. The three Ohio? guys just nabbed trng to blow upo a bridge weren't Moslem. Lots of anarchists aren't Moslem. They are just dangerous.

I am on record as being TOTALLY supportive of profiling. I have the feeling, however, that I am not indicative of any negative profile.

[QUOTE=Jetdawgg;4489844]VOIP is a conversation over the internet.[/QUOTE]

No sh1t, but it is still a private conversation. A message board is a public forum.

All Pro
    If you're not breaking the law I don't see why people care about stuff like this.

[QUOTE=Austin;4489949]If you're not breaking the law I don't see why people care about stuff like this.[/QUOTE]

Bill Of Rights

[QUOTE]IV

Right of search and seizure regulated

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.ratical.org/co-globalize/BillOfRights.html#4[/url]

And there's no need for a warrant or judge's order to scan publicly available information (such as blog posts or internet chatter)