Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ESPN.com: Brad Smith getting time at QB in Buffalo

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

ESPN.com: Brad Smith getting time at QB in Buffalo

[url]http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/43380/bills-dropping-the-ball-with-brad-smith[/url]

[B]Bills dropping the ball with Brad Smith[/B]

The Buffalo Bills, who I think are ready to make a big jump in 2012, are making their first head-scratching decision of the offseason. The coaching staff is working the versatile Brad Smith exclusively at quarterback, according to the team's website.

Buffalo has made virtually all the right moves this offseason. But this is the first decision I disagree with.

Smith is a player with many traits but a master of none. It's been proven over his six-year career that his biggest strength is his versatility. If Buffalo goes away from that, it reduces his effectiveness.

Smith is currently a fourth-string quarterback in Buffalo behind starter Ryan Fitzpatrick and backups Vince Young and Tyler Thigpen. Barring a rash of injuries, the Bills are wasting their time if they think Smith will be anything more than third on this year's quarterback depth chart. Smith is 28, which is too late in the game to suddenly learn how to effectively play the position full time in the NFL.

In fact, the Bills do not have a need for Smith at quarterback this year. Young was signed as a free agent and is a better, more-refined version of Smith. Young has 31 career wins as a starter and can run the Wildcat, while Smith has thrown just eight passes in six seasons. Virtually anything Smith can do at quarterback, Young can do better.

If anything, the Bills should be getting Smith as much work as possible at wide receiver. That is where he is most needed. Buffalo has no one who is proven at the position besides Steve Johnson. Smith should join receivers Donald Jones, Marcus Easley and rookie third-rounder T.J. Graham to add depth and competition at the position.

Smith had 23 receptions for the Bills last year. With more reps and coaching, perhaps those numbers could improve. The Bills need all the production they can get at wide receiver.

The Bills signed Smith to a four-year, $15 million contract last season but always seem lost with how to use him. Smith should be more of a receiver than quarterback in Buffalo in 2012, not the other way around.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I completely disagree. I think QB is the only position he's good at, besides kick returner of course. I never understood why he never threw the ball from the wild cat. One of the first reasons I gave up on Schotty ever getting it. I still believe Schotty has the potential to be very good (if he ever loosened up and could just feel the game, and let the players play.). I would be very curious to see how he was used by Sparano, except of course that we have Brad Smith 2.0 on the team right now.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NY's stepchild;4489445]I completely disagree. I think QB is the only position he's good at, besides kick returner of course. I never understood why he never threw the ball from the wild cat. One of the first reasons I gave up on Schotty ever getting it. I still believe Schotty has the potential to be very good (if he ever loosened up and could just feel the game, and let the players play.). I would be very curious to see how he was used by Sparano, except of course that we have Brad Smith 2.0 on the team right now.[/QUOTE]

Your post implies that Schotty sent Smith into the Wildcat with only the run option available nearly every time.

Just a novice question:
    When Smith lined up as Wildcat for the NYJ, were there not options available to run or pass?
    My take was that he nearly always [B]chose[/B] run and could be faulted for being gun shy.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Smith can't throw, but is a tougher, faster and better conditioned runner vs Young, especially at this point of their careers. I loved him for his all around versatility as a Jet.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    56 td passes in college beg to differ

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Brad Smith> Tim Tebow

Brad Smith can actually throw the football

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=endgameeugenics;4489532]Brad Smith> Tim Tebow

Brad Smith can actually throw the football[/QUOTE]

Comparing Tebow to Smith from a throwing standpoint, is like comparing Sanchez to Tebow...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Smith cannot throw the ball.. It's pretty comical that some people think he can. Just goes to show that 20 people can look at the same thing, but not actually know what they are seeing.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Brad Smith takes snaps at QB it will be out of some Wildcat offense. He's going to have to learn the basic offense as well, but Fitzpatrick is the starter there, barring something significant. It's not difficult to see what they're preparing for.

They're working Smith exclusively at QB now. Doesn't mean that Thigpen or Young will be on the roster come September.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jxc;4489442][url]http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/43380/bills-dropping-the-ball-with-brad-smith[/url]

Bills dropping the ball with Brad Smith

[B]The Buffalo Bills, who I think are ready to make a big jump in 2012,[/B] are making their first head-scratching decision of the offseason. The coaching staff is working the versatile Brad Smith exclusively at quarterback, according to the team's website.
    .[/QUOTE]

I guess if they keep saying it for nearly a decade, its bound to be true sometime.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NY's stepchild;4489445]I completely disagree. I think QB is the only position he's good at, besides kick returner of course. I never understood why he never threw the ball from the wild cat. One of the first reasons I gave up on Schotty ever getting it. I still believe Schotty has the potential to be very good (if he ever loosened up and could just feel the game, and let the players play.). I would be very curious to see how he was used by Sparano, except of course that we have Brad Smith 2.0 on the team right now.[/QUOTE]

Coaches see these guys day in and day out in practice.

You would like to think they see a players strength and weaknesses, especially after a period of time.

With Smith not only was it a decent amount of time it was also under the eyes of two coaching staffs who all apparently came to the same conclusion.

And that he threw 56 td's in college doesn't always translate. Charlie Ward is the perfect example. A national championship leading FSU, won a Heisman, in the college HOF, 49 TD's, almost 70% comp rate in 93.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sdJETSetter;4489561]I guess if they keep saying it for nearly a decade, its bound to be true sometime.[/QUOTE]

I have to say that this is a pet peeve of mine. Every year I hear about how the Bills are going to take a big step forward and maybe even win more games than the Jets. Always seem to hear this type of prediction on Sirius from Alan Schien, Gannon, etc..., yet in never comes true. Lately hearing a lot about how much better Fitzgerald is than Sanchez (based on the first five games of last season?). Did they watch any of their other games?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;4489564]Coaches see these guys day in and day out in practice.

You would like to think they see a players strength and weaknesses, especially after a period of time.

With Smith not only was it a decent amount of time it was also under the eyes of two coaching staffs who all apparently came to the same conclusion.

[B]And that he threw 56 td's in college doesn't always translate[/B]. Charlie Ward is the perfect example. A national championship leading FSU, won a Heisman, in the college HOF, 49 TD's, almost 70% comp rate in 93.[/QUOTE]

+1 Tebow had 88 td passes..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Brad Smith isn't good at anything. How he's managed to have some sort of an NFL career making millions of dollars is an amazing magic trick. If he's supposed to be this great wildcat qb/ST guy/lockerroom guy why has he done sh*t in Buffalo where the OC isn't preoccupied with setting up plays for him?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    This thread has more FAILLE than the Phailadelphia Experminet.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    not a bad idea to make him a full-time Wildcat QB (like Tebow)
    Smith is a mediocre WR with a low ceiling at that position.
    Let him practice at QB and he could become even more dangerous in the Wildcat.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    He'll struggle at qb, but out of the wildcat he's lethal. Put the ball in his hand and this manis magic in the open field. Can't forget the game against Cincy where he singlehandedly won the game for the Jets

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=detjetsfan;4490040]Brad Smith isn't good at anything. How he's managed to have some sort of an NFL career making millions of dollars is an amazing magic trick. If he's supposed to be this great wildcat qb/ST guy/lockerroom guy why has he done sh*t in Buffalo where the OC isn't preoccupied with setting up plays for him?[/QUOTE]

Are you ****ing kidding me? Coaching.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;4489564]Coaches see these guys day in and day out in practice.

And that he threw 56 td's in college doesn't always translate. Charlie Ward is the perfect example. A national championship leading FSU, won a Heisman, in the college HOF, 49 TD's, almost 70% comp rate in 93.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't trying to say he should be a real QB, but he can throw the ball plenty well out of the wildcat, and maybe an emergency 3rd stringer. Still don't understand why we didn't, if only to open up the run. Certainly he's a better QB than he is a WR.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

[NFL.com Video]Looks like he will be #3 QB

[url]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d829dd9c4/article/vince-young-tyler-thigpen-battle-for-bills-backup-role?module=HP11_headline_stack[/url]