Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Jersey is Doing Fine!

[QUOTE=cr726;4490371]I feel bad for the person who has to ride with him in the helicopter, Christie gotta take up all the room!!! :D[/QUOTE]

LOL. That is why he is eyeing one of these

[IMG]http://defensetech.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/VH-53D.jpg[/IMG]

[QUOTE=Jetdawgg;4490409]Greenville is beautiful as is Charleston. They do have some good schools and you are correct to state that the state average is dragged down by the rural schools.

The issue is that there are a great deal of rural schools. Makes it hard to hire from the state. BMW has a good plant in Spartanburg and Greenville has Michelin.

I love SC though. The upstate and downstate rivalry is healthy[/QUOTE]

And Boeing thought enough to site a new 6000 worker plant in Charleston. Which will provide jobs for another 5000+. And Boeing just got an ok to build an adjacent huge plant. Seattle is taking a beating. No unions here in SC. GE has a new plant. Honda is here also. Dupont is new.
    The better schools here in Charleston are good. One is a top 20 in the U.S.
    The rural schools are NG. Schools in Jersey City, Paterson, Passaic, Camden, Newark and Asbury Park stink also. Education uis all about parents. Care or not.
    SC has a ton of goood colleges. NY has Columbia and Cornell. NJ has Princeton. There are some good Catholic liberal arts schools in NY state. Fine if you're Catholic. PK would avoid.

[QUOTE=palmetto defender;4490416]And Boeing thought enough to site a new 6000 worker plant in Charleston. Which will provide jobs for another 5000+. And Boeing just got an ok to build an adjacent huge plant. Seattle is taking a beating. No unions here in SC. GE has a new plant. Honda is here also. Dupont is new.
    The rural schools are NG. Schools in Jersey City, Paterson, Passaic, Camden, Newark and Asbury Park stink also. Education uis all about parents. Care or not.
    SC has a ton of goood colleges. NY has Columbia and Cornell. NJ has Princeton. There are some good Catholic liberal arts schools in NY state. Fine if you're Catholic. PK would avoid.[/QUOTE]

When the textile industry left SC, it hurt a lot. Labor is cheaper than most of the other states. The fishing is good too:D

[QUOTE=palmetto defender;4490416]And Boeing thought enough to site a new 6000 worker plant in Charleston. Which will provide jobs for another 5000+. And Boeing just got an ok to build an adjacent huge plant. Seattle is taking a beating. No unions here in SC. GE has a new plant. Honda is here also. Dupont is new.
    SC has a ton of goood colleges. NY has Columbia and Cornell. NJ has Princeton. There are some good Catholic liberal arts schools in NY state. Fine if you're Catholic. PK would avoid.[/QUOTE]

I listed only the public colleges, Clemson, USC, CofC. SC is booming for a reason. the biased view of many northerners will never see it.

[QUOTE=Jetdawgg;4490422]When the textile industry left SC, it hurt a lot. Labor is cheaper than most of the other states. The fishing is good too:D[/QUOTE]

Textiles did leave SC. Massachusetts prior to that.
    Labor is cheaper because the cost of living is cheaper. Taxes lower.
    Great business environment. Textiles are history.
    Big computer operations here. Google also opened a major facility.

But, it's like everywhere. Want to work? Jobs are available. Lazy? Sorry.

BTW, for my friend CPA from Charlotte, they have a great higher ed program up there too. Bigger population, so more better colleges.

Charlotte's a nice town. The dems will have fun there. maybe they'll hit Charlotte Motor Speedway and Billy Graham's church. A ton of money is being spent on I85 north of town to impress visiting delegates. I was astounded. Shovel ready "make work".

[QUOTE=palmetto defender;4490459]Textiles did leave SC. Massachusetts prior to that.
    Labor is cheaper because the cost of living is cheaper. Taxes lower.
    Great business environment. Textiles are history.
    Big computer operations here. Google also opened a major facility.

But, it's like everywhere. Want to work? Jobs are available. Lazy? Sorry.

BTW, for my friend CPA from Charlotte, they have a great higher ed program up there too. Bigger population, so more better colleges.

Charlotte's a nice town. The dems will have fun there. maybe they'll hit Charlotte Motor Speedway and Billy Graham's church. A ton of money is being spent on I85 north of town to impress visiting delegates. I was astounded. Shovel ready "make work".[/QUOTE]

Hey, how about the CU-ICAR on I-85 in Greenville?

These dumbass State politicians will never learn. Businesses will avoid opening plants in Union States. They will always choose to move to right to work states if it is feasible. Why would anyone open a manufacturing facility in a state which guarantees an adversarial relationship between management and the workforce? States that take away workers right to choose are getting killed. States that give workers those rights are doing better. It is as simple as that.

[QUOTE=chiefst2000;4491154]These dumbass State politicians will never learn. Businesses will avoid opening plants in Union States. They will always choose to move to right to work states if it is feasible. Why would anyone open a manufacturing facility in a state which guarantees an adversarial relationship between management and the workforce? States that take away workers right to choose are getting killed. States that give workers those rights are doing better. It is as simple as that.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://visually.visually.netdna-cdn.com/USEmploymentGrowthbyStateInfographic_4fd4a3fe9a8d7_w650.jpg[/IMG]

[QUOTE=palmetto defender;4489884]How about Johnny Corzine making sweetheart deals with the union chief who was his personal SLUT?
    Or Jim McGreevey giving hummers on the beach. And hirirg a foreigner at a big salary to be his security chief. A little sex on that deal too.

The chopper and pilots are there anyway. Plus Christie PAID for the gas.

Too bad he can't decimate the unions. Teachers in NJ are especially overpaid and worthless - especially in the cities . They do such a fine job. Great graduation rates[/QUOTE]

Under NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND George Bush lowered the standards to promote students out of special education and into general ed. One of many tactics to save money and under cut student services who need them the most. Presently, students who have SEVERE behavior issues are mixed in with general education destroying any consistency with learning in the classroom setting. Hey maybe I should just asked the kids to stand in the hallway when they are misbehaving like you or I observed in classrooms growing up, right? Not today! Under NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND this is considered "corporal punishment" and the teacher is reprimanded. The only way that the student can be suspended is if the parent agrees to it. In most cases students who have SEVERE behavior issues have parents who are not cooperative. This is one of MANY challenges that teachers face each day. It only takes one or two students to destroy the learning for the 35 others in OVER CROWDED classrooms. No Child Left Behind was a tactics used by the right to prove how bad teachers are and the union that protects them. But I know, its scratching the surface, and right winged Americans dont want to do that because they will find out how wrong they are. Much easier to just bash the teacher, you know, the common worker. No way could it be the politicians fault who are using their positions as a stepping stone, setting themselves up before they get back into corporate America. This is just ONE of many examples of how the system under-minds educators.

Step into a school and observe how little resources teachers are given and then get back to me. See how they are trying only to be railroaded by state exams with readings about talking pineapples and questions that have two answers, no answers, and answers that dont count. Or even easier, go to a school and ask a teacher how many students in her over crowded classroom actually handed in homework from the night before. Guess thats the teachers fault as well. Maybe teachers should be required to go home with each student as well to make sure they are doing their work.

I know, I know, much easier to sit back, read what's in THE POST, and believe every word from Ruppert Murdock on how teachers are awful and the unions that protect them are bad. Stupid unions, getting in the way of corporate America stealing even more money from its workers....

PS: Christie paid for his own gas only AFTER he got caught. Cant expect the political elite to sit in traffic like the rest of us who want to get to our kids games, right?...............
    Last edited by copernicus; 06-14-2012 at 08:46 AM.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=cr726;4491204][IMG]http://visually.visually.netdna-cdn.com/USEmploymentGrowthbyStateInfographic_4fd4a3fe9a8d7_w650.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

1) The charts posted above deal in[B] %[/B] vs [B]absolute/net[/B] #s, so many comparisons are meaningless - what is trying to be proven or disproven here? :dunno:
    it's just a dumb show if no context is provided.

2) Neverthleess some conclusions can be drawn

due to US govt jobs added by B. Hussein on the taxpayer's dime DC MD and VA have growth in the last 3 years that outstrip national %s;

TX has exceptional growth

growth overall is anoemic and parallels weak GDP

last month shows weak growth / recession vs last year

the RTW states are AL, AZ, AK, FL, GA, ID, IN (only officially since
    2/12), IA, KS, LA, MS, NE, NV, NC, [U]ND[/U], OK, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT,WY.

many if not most are showing growth > the national average
    Last edited by Jungle Shift Jet; 06-14-2012 at 09:16 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=copernicus;4491220]Under NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND George Bush lowered the standards to promote students out of special education and into general ed. One of many tactics to save money and under cut student services who need them the most. Presently, students who have SEVERE behavior issues are mixed in with general education destroying any consistency with learning in the classroom setting. Hey maybe I should just asked the kids to stand in the hallway when they are misbehaving like you or I observed in classrooms growing up, right? Not today! Under NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND this is considered "corporal punishment" and the teacher is reprimanded. The only way that the student can be suspended is if the parent agrees to it. In most cases students who have SEVERE behavior issues have parents who are not cooperative. This is one of MANY challenges that teachers face each day. It only takes one or two students to destroy the learning for the 35 others in OVER CROWDED classrooms. No Child Left Behind was a tactics used by the right to prove how bad teachers are and the union that protects them. But I know, its scratching the surface, and right winged Americans dont want to do that because they will find out how wrong they are. Much easier to just bash the teacher, you know, the common worker. No way could it be the politicians fault who are using their positions as a stepping stone, setting themselves up before they get back into corporate America. This is just ONE of many examples of how the system under-minds educators.

Step into a school and observe how little resources teachers are given and then get back to me. See how they are trying only to be railroaded by state exams with readings about talking pineapples and questions that have two answers, no answers, and answers that dont count. Or even easier, go to a school and ask a teacher how many students in her over crowded classroom actually handed in homework from the night before. Guess thats the teachers fault as well. Maybe teachers should be required to go home with each student as well to make sure they are doing their work.

I know, I know, much easier to sit back, read what's in THE POST, and believe every word from Ruppert Murdock on how teachers are awful and the unions that protect them are bad. Stupid unions, getting in the way of corporate America stealing even more money from its workers....

PS: Christie paid for his own gas only AFTER he got caught. Cant expect the political elite to sit in traffic like the rest of us who want to get to our kids games, right?...............[/QUOTE]

As has been said here quite often no one is lauding Bush as a great president. I know I have said in the past that No Child Left Behind is a farce. The teachers unions, administration AND politics are all to blame. Parents blame teachers and teachers blame parents. The worst thing the teachers are doing is blindly backing their union. Trying to keep the status quo when kids are failing, teachers are frustrated, towns are bankrupt and parents are not involved is never going to work and that is what the unions want.

One of the biggest problems with education being controlled at a federal level is that you are removing competition which then removes innovation.

[QUOTE=cr726;4491204][IMG]http://visually.visually.netdna-cdn.com/USEmploymentGrowthbyStateInfographic_4fd4a3fe9a8d7_w650.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

Not buying. Too many new corporations starting up where I know them to be.
    And that being the case, why is everyone fleeing NY and NJ and coming here. SC picked up your lost congrssional seats.

The data is incorrect as is most labor dept stats. Perhaps to influence the Hawaiian's campaign.

Not buying. Too many new corporations starting up where I know them to be.
    And that being the case, why is everyone fleeing NY and NJ and coming here. SC picked up your lost congrssional seats.

The data is incorrect as is most labor dept stats. Perhaps to influence the Hawaiian's campaign.

[QUOTE=Trades;4491244]As has been said here quite often no one is lauding Bush as a great president. I know I have said in the past that No Child Left Behind is a farce. The teachers unions, administration AND politics are all to blame. Parents blame teachers and teachers blame parents. The worst thing the teachers are doing is blindly backing their union. Trying to keep the status quo when kids are failing, teachers are frustrated, towns are bankrupt and parents are not involved is never going to work and that is what the unions want.

One of the biggest problems with education being controlled at a federal level is that you are removing competition which then removes innovation.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the response Trades. The sad thing is the NCLB has destroyed children's educations for the past 12 years and the same policies are being followed presently with Common Core. The public is underestimating how NCLB and its policies have railroaded education in a sinister/corporate way. The easy targets on the front lines are the teachers. Much easier to blame them than look a bit deeper into the real issues.....

Easy to blame the teachers union when the only stories that are presented (on a daily basis) is when a teacher is accused of wrong doing. The reality is that most teachers accused are 100% innocent and it is the child who is telling a lie for multitude of reasons. If it werent for the teacher's union those teachers who are falsely accused would lose their jobs especially if they were making more than the minimum teacher salary. The sad truth is that most Americans do not value education and would quicklty look to cut budgets on the backs of children. The teachers union is the ONLY group presently who defends teachers. If it werent for the union ALL teachers would be replaced/fired by unqualified, politically connected ones.
    Last edited by copernicus; 06-14-2012 at 09:31 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=copernicus;4491267]Thanks for the response Trades. The sad thing is the NCLB has destroyed children's educations for the past 12 years and the same policies are being followed presently with Common Core. The public is underestimating how NCLB and its policies have railroaded education in a sinister/corporate way. The easy targets on the front lines are the teachers. Much easier to blame them than look a bit deeper into the real issues.....

Easy to blame the teachers union when the only stories that are presented (on a daily basis) is when a teacher is accused of wrong doing. The reality is that most teachers accused are 100% innocent and it is the child who is telling a lie for multitude of reasons. If it werent for the teacher's union those teachers who are falsely accused would lose their jobs especially if they were making more than the minimum teacher salary. The sad truth is that most Americans do not value education and would quicklty look to cut budgets on the backs of children. The teachers union is the ONLY group presently who defends teachers. If it werent for the union [B]ALL teachers would be replaced/fired by unqualified, politically connected ones[/B].[/QUOTE]

At least that is what the union says. I am not afraid of the boogeyman either. No offense, but while there probably would be some towns that would cut teachers to reduce budgets people would also fight back against cuts and look for reduced administration and improved efficiency to improve the quality of the school. If schools didn't have to live in the status quo maybe they would come up with new ways to run a school and teach that are better than the 1970s methods being used today.

[QUOTE=Trades;4491342]At least that is what the union says. I am not afraid of the boogeyman either. No offense, but while there probably would be some towns that would cut teachers to reduce budgets people would also fight back against cuts and look for reduced administration and improved efficiency to improve the quality of the school. If schools didn't have to live in the status quo maybe they would come up with new ways to run a school and teach that are better than the 1970s methods being used today.[/QUOTE]

Yes I would agree. I see two very different school systems in close proximity. I work in NYC and live in Nassau County where my daughters go to school. I see the Nassau County School Districts always being kept in check by informed parents who can speak English and understand when the government is playing them for a fool. As a result, my daughter's school on the surface appear to be run in a way that benefits all who are involved. No one group gaining too much control. Then there is NYC, where Mayor Bloomberg plays off the many immigrant families who are not as schooled when it comes to understanding the language and ways of our government. Mayor Bloomberg has tripled the amount of administrators through his own personal "principal's academy" in a very quiet way. Its where much of the money is going. It's why he wants to shut down any school, and reopen multiple schools within one building to serve his personal agenda of filling them with his own administrators. Why is this such a problem? Because many of these administrators have NEVER taught a day in the classroom. They are political favors. Mayor Bloomberg's principal's academy is by invite only. No one knows for sure how to be accepted. Only the mayor does. It is why he fought so dirty to get mayoral control and now everyone in the NYC system: students, teachers, and parents suffer greatly.

Again, people have to scratch the surface a little deeper to see what's actually happening. Most do not and would rather scream about how teachers are failing and should be fired......

PS: I have another daughter who lives in New Jersey. I am very involved with her schooling and attend many to all parent/ teacher conferences. Cristie is following the same blue print. Watch out New Jersey!!!!
    Last edited by copernicus; 06-14-2012 at 12:04 PM.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    [QUOTE=Bonhomme Richard;4490242]There are plenty of legitimate criticisms for the Governor.

This isn't one of them.[/QUOTE]

You mean like not really doing anything significant to the states unfunded debt or property taxes like he promised but taking every opportunity to claim that he has at the top of his lungs?

Or complaining (every day during the last week prior to the election) that Corzine called him fat but then after getting elected he calls any political opponent who gets in his way "numbn#ts" or “hack” or “idiot” or “jerk” or "Dr Kevorkian" or etc?

Or that he killed the ARC tunnel on the same day a NJ senate hearing was scheduled on why his administration lost out on the ‘race for the top money’.

Or running the “Jerzy Comeback” campaign claiming his economic policies have returned NJ to greatness and that a 10% tax cut is needed. All while NJ has 9.2% unemployment.

Is that what you mean?

Part of the solution is that NJ has to consolidate its municipalities and nobody has the stones to fight that battle.

People moved to NJ because it was an easy commute to NYC or Philly, you could get a house with a back yard and there lots of small towns with small town school systems.

The commute is now beyond s#ck and won’t be getting any better now that ARC tunnel is dead. NJ voters have to decide whether the small town thing still works (or if they still want it) in the most densely populated state in the Union.