Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If I hear the term "Boom or Bust" One more time...

Veteran
    [QUOTE=k.Rhodes25;4490225]Hes certainly not a "can't miss" prospect. [B]He very well could be a bust[/B], its encouraging to hear good things coming out of practices from him I guess, even if its only OTAs and mini camp. I hope hes a good one.[/QUOTE]

Can't that be said of every prospect???? What is about his game that would lead you to believe is not a "can't miss" prospect other than part of his senior year when the entire team was in turmoil? The guys was considered of the top 2 or 3 defensive lineman in the country his junior year and it wasn't like he stunk up the joint as a senior; he was moved to a new position, had his coach get fired etc, etc and had a sub par year (for him). Even with all that his play picked up toward the end of the season. I personally think the Jets got themselves a steal. Also sometimes success is all about being in the right system and playing for the right coach; well I don't think he couldn't have found a better coach to play for than Rex Ryan. I feel confident that Ryan will play to his strengths and put him in the best position to succeed.

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=Jet Black;4490265]I hear you; don't mean to be negative or depressing; I just wish (Jets Nation) would have an original thought in their heads for a change and stop with the cliches every week. I guess that would be asking to much, lol.[/QUOTE]

They won't budge until they see something in action; I'd wait until Cortland.
    Last edited by WestCoastOffensive; 06-12-2012 at 11:18 PM.

the bottom line is coples has got to have an impact. at pick 16 he was probably either the top or second best player at his position. that means he's supposed to be more than just pretty darn good. if he has a career like shawn ellis then he's playing to his draft status. if he is as good as kersey or adalius thomas then the jets have really done well. bust? not likely at least in the gholston sense or even the faurot sense.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Jet Black;4490221]To describe Quinton Coples I am going to lose it! I was watching Jets Nation on SNY and Lucas (who really seems like he is off his Meds), is asked about Coples by Brian Custer and the first thing he says is "He is a boom or bust player" for like the 90 millionth time!!!!

Just what the hell does that even mean? So if Coples goes on to have a nice but not spectacular career and plays 6 or 7 years he is a bust??? :confused: NEWSFLASH: The dude was picked 16 NOT 6!!

For the record I think Coples is going to be a BEAST, but I am so sick of this either or scenerio; if he is not GREAT, than it was a bad pick.

Then it is mentioned that Rex had Coples "standing up" in some defensive sets and the "MOUTH THAT ROARED" says, "if that is what Rex had in mind he should have just taken Ingram"! REALLY?? So the fact that Coples, who is 6'5 285, is VERSATILE enough to play in space is a BAD THING???? Also, we know you have a hard on for Ingram! ENOUGH ALREADY!!!!! GET OVER IT FOR GODS SAKES!!!!

It is so bad on that show they actually have me missing Greg Buttle and I didn't think that was possible!! :eek:

I will say I can't remember I a time when I have rooted harder for a player to SHUT UP his critics than with Coples. Personally I see the guy as a "can't miss" player myself, especially based on his overall career and not just "half" of his senior year, and the fact that he has to be motivated to prove the naysayers wrong.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this post 100%

I really like Lucas as an analyst but his approach here cocnerningh Coples is a disgrace. He doesn't get to call the guy a bust before he even plays a down in the NFL. Coples like Lucas had a dream and the talent like Lucas to play in the NFL and Lucas doesn't get to marginalize Coples, his effort or his dream.

Insanity...

[QUOTE=Charlie Brown;4490290]I agree with this post 100%

I really like Lucas as an analyst but his approach here cocnerningh Coples is a disgrace. He doesn't get to call the guy a bust before he even plays a down in the NFL. Coples like Lucas had a dream and the talent like Lucas to play in the NFL and Lucas doesn't get to marginalize Coples, his effort or his dream.

Insanity...[/QUOTE]

How is he calling him a bust? He said "boom or bust" (sorry for using the term) which is what pretty much every NFL analyst has said about Coples. I'm sorry, when there is this much of a consensus among guys who watched Coples play every week, there is something to it. Doesn't mean he will be a bust, but his track record says it is fair to call him a good Bust candidate.

And why are our fans so sensitive when any member of the press isn't 100% positive about the Jets? There are way too many of these threads whining about the press. I'll never understand it.

What most talking heads never seem to take into account is that we were conditioned into accepting Ingram at 16 because there was a possibility that he was going to be there. Up until Mayock's negative report of him a week or two before the draft almost every board had him in the top 8. Coples never seemed to be a possibility therefore not many actually did the research on how he would benefit the team and how great of a pick it would be.

What they failed to realize is that we potentially have a 3 down lineman that can pressure the quarterback from the interior. IMHO, an interior pass rush is what defeated Brady and won the Giants two rings. Pushing and collapsing the pocket will create many more opportunities for the linebackers to get to the quarterbacks. For what it is worth so far in OTA's, he has been living up to his potential therefore making him a great pick especially considering that he was picked 16th.

Also, if my team was under investigation, my coach was fired and I was thrown under the bus as well (though found innocent later), I would have done everything short of sitting out my senior season to protect my future. He took a calculated risk and still ended up being a top 20 pick. Maybe he is much smarter than we think?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Toooon;4490304]How is he calling him a bust? He said "boom or bust" (sorry for using the term) which is what pretty much every NFL analyst has said about Coples. I'm sorry, when there is this much of a consensus among guys who watched Coples play every week, there is something to it. Doesn't mean he will be a bust, but his track record says it is fair to call him a good Bust candidate.

And why are our fans so sensitive when any member of the press isn't 100% positive about the Jets? There are way too many of these threads whining about the press. I'll never understand it.[/QUOTE]

Did you not read my post I like Lucas and he is often critical so what.

Here in this instance IMO Lucas is wrong. He has had an agenda since the Jets didn't draft the player he wanted them to draft and he is allowing that to effect his analysis.

Indeed Lucas called Coples a bust when the Jets drafted him!! Said that it would be a surprize if Coples played well.

[B]Why isn't Lucas commenting on Coples steller play on the field so far; why is he even mentioned as a bust when he is playing crazy well in camp so far? [/B]

It is a joke and you can't see that him calling a player a bust without a shred of evidencce to the contrary is silly and insane.

Based on your defense of Lucas and the silly logic he imployed you could call any player a boom or bust who is a rookie in training camp!!!:eek:

Good Grief....
    Last edited by Charlie Brown; 06-13-2012 at 12:33 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Charlie Brown;4490324]Did you not read my post I like Lucas and he is often critical so what.

Here in this instance IMO Lucas is wrong. He has had an agenda since the Jets didn't draft the player he wanted them to draft and he is allowing that to effect his analysis.

Indeed Lucas called Coples a bust when the Jets drafted him!! Said that it would be a surprize if Coples played well.

[B]Why isn't Lucas commenting on Coples steller play on the field so far; why is he even mentioned as a bust when he is playing crazy well in camp so far? [/B]

It is a joke and you can't see that him calling a player a bust without a shred of evidencce to the contrary is silly and insane.

Based on your defense of Lucas and the silly logic he imployed you could call any player a boom or bust who is a rookie in training camp!!!:eek:

Good Grief....[/QUOTE]

Lucas is to unwatched local cable TV as Dick Semen-i is to unclicked local sport websites

Two despicable douches

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

I agree Boom or Bust is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. ...

I tried to think of the statement's meaning and this is what I came up with: the player will either be a star (boom) or a dud (bust), nothing in between.

Makes absolutely zero sense. TV stations should fine analysts who use it.

Dumbest. Phrase. Ever.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Jet Black;4490265]I hear you; don't mean to be negative or depressing; I just wish (Jets Nation) would have an original thought in their heads for a change and[B] stop with the cliches every week.[/B] I guess that would be asking to much, lol.[/QUOTE]

I agree, but we have to take things one day at a time. We can not look ahead at this point, just focus on today. Its going to be a process this year. We are going to work hard and God willing win some games. ;)

Hall Of Fame
    Is thread about Coples or Ray Lucas?

There is a possibility that Coples falls on his face. There are question marks surrounding him and his play in 2011. Now whether or not you give him an excuse for that is up to you. Some people like the pick, some people don't. That is football, that is the draft. Build a bridge and get over it.

BTW, I just figured out what this thread is about. It is one of those threads where everyone who disagrees with the OP is a idiot.

As for Lucas, he has forgotten more football than anyone here will ever know. Doesn't make him right or wrong about Coples. But he is not an "idiot" as some idiots would suggest.

All Pro
    So what you are saying is he is going to be a 'boom....'

I see what you did there...:)

All League
    We all have Vernon Gholston to thank for all the boom and bust talk..

Banned
    [QUOTE=jets80;4490382]We all have Vernon Gholston to thank for all the boom and bust talk..[/QUOTE]

Boom or bust can apply to any of the 32 1st round draft picks.

None of these guys have played a single down in the NFL.

Discussing "boom or bust" now is silly.

[QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4490388]Boom or bust can apply to any of the 32 1st round draft picks.

None of these guys have played a single down in the NFL.

Discussing "boom or bust" now is silly.[/QUOTE]

Thank you TX. By the way, do you like Pats picking up Ballard? Seems like a good gamble, though tough injury to rehab.

Banned
    [QUOTE=section314;4490398]Thank you TX. By the way, do you like Pats picking up Ballard? Seems like a good gamble, though tough injury to rehab.[/QUOTE]

Ballard was a head scratcher. From all reports, he will not play a down in 2012.

Then he becomes a FA. So if the Pats want to keep him, they have to re-sign him.

Not sure what the Pats thought process was on this one.

All Pro
    "Boom or Bust" is an expression used by people who really haven't a clue about what will happen but who want to be sure to cover all eventualities so they can still be right in any case. I think the far more egregious sin is to be a blatantly pessimistic fan who always sees the glass as 3/4 empty, but who simultaneously claims he'll be happy if he's proven wrong. The first is empty; the second is cowardly.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Toooon;4490304]How is he calling him a bust? He said "boom or bust" (sorry for using the term) which is what pretty much every NFL analyst has said about Coples. I'm sorry, when there is this much of a consensus among guys who watched Coples play every week, there is something to it. Doesn't mean he will be a bust, but his track record says it is fair to call him a good Bust candidate.

And why are our fans so sensitive when any member of the press isn't 100% positive about the Jets? There are way too many of these threads whining about the press. I'll never understand it.[/QUOTE]

Boom or bust means all or nothing. Who are these guys that watched Coples every week, and do you think the consensus might come from everyone repeating what the first guy said? His track record would have to say boom, or pretty good from the information I've seen. Why are so many fans so accepting of whatever garbage they get from "analysts", that haven't actually analyzed anything. They believe everything they hear no matter how many times they're wrong then go on sites and whine about those that demand higher standards. I'll never understand it.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4490367]Is thread about Coples or Ray Lucas?

There is a possibility that Coples falls on his face. There are question marks surrounding him and his play in 2011. Now whether or not you give him an excuse for that is up to you. Some people like the pick, some people don't. That is football, that is the draft. Build a bridge and get over it.

BTW, I just figured out what this thread is about. It is one of those threads where everyone who disagrees with the OP is a idiot.

As for Lucas, he has forgotten more football than anyone here will ever know. Doesn't make him right or wrong about Coples. But he is not an "idiot" as some idiots would suggest.[/QUOTE]

Yeah he must be right because he's the loudest

Veteran
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4490367]Is thread about Coples or Ray Lucas?

[B]
    BTW, I just figured out what this thread is about. It is one of those threads where everyone who disagrees with the OP is a idiot.[/B]

As for Lucas, he has forgotten more football than anyone here will ever know. Doesn't make him right or wrong about Coples. But he is not an "idiot" as some idiots would suggest.[/QUOTE]

Wow, and just how did you come to that conclusion?? I don't care who disagrees if with me, I just hope it based on some kind of sound argument and intelligent debate, rather than someone spouting how the "experts" know more than we mere fans do etc, etc. I don't know about you but I have a brain and I think I am allowed to use it and apply critical thinking. I mean why even bother having a conversation at all? The "experts" have spoken that is the end of that! LOL, you gotta be kidding me Man.

BTW, do you really think Lucas spent time breaking down film watching Coples play over his entire College career? I seriously doubt it. Lucas had a hard on for Ingram; the Jets took Coples and he still not over it. As another poster already said, if he was paying attention, to CURRENT EVENTS he could at least acknowledge that Coples has LOOKED IMPRESSIVE SO FAR, rather than dwell on some stupid, moronic label.

Sorry if that makes you think I am calling you an idiot; I am not.