Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: If I hear the term "Boom or Bust" One more time...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=EM31;4491255]I too am hopeful about Coples. I was internally channeling some very old debates from these boards about Gholston and other than Coples potential to be an impact player such as Abe was, I see very little similarity between the two of them.

My point at the time of the "Gholston wars" was that if Gholston was going to be a beast that there should be evidence of that showing up in Practices and preseason games. Especially in the 4th quarter of preseason games against soon-to-be-cut scrubs, yet we saw and heard none of that. My recollection (at that time) was that Abe had caused havoc in the backfield on the practice field from his very first OTA onwards. Just as Coples seems to be doing now. At the time Bitonti (and others) were spouting some nonsense about sometimes it takes years and years for a player to develop.... Blah blah blah and so on an so forth. They were wrong, I was right and some of them still post here. But never mind me I do not feel the need to carry these things around... I know how to let go and move on... :yes:

Good to see Coples causing mahem.[/QUOTE]

I don't really get the Gholston analogies with those people. So every pass rusher we draft now is going to be Gholston? If so, why was Melvin Ingram, he of short wingspan and undersized fame who doesn't even have much experience at OLB yet, how is he the one guy exempt from the Jets "Vernon Gholston" rule?

I guess the Lions shoulda passed up on Calvin Johnson because they drafted bust WR's like Rogers, Mike and Roy Williams.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=detjetsfan;4491376]I don't really get the Gholston analogies with those people. So every pass rusher we draft now is going to be Gholston? If so, why was Melvin Ingram, he of short wingspan and undersized fame who doesn't even have much experience at OLB yet, how is he the one guy exempt from the Jets "Vernon Gholston" rule?

I guess the Lions shoulda passed up on Calvin Johnson because they drafted bust WR's like Rogers, Mike and Roy Williams.[/QUOTE]
    Wayall... I don't think anyone is suggesting taking a pass on a player because someone esle did noit work out. If anything our need is more acute BECAUSE Gholston did not work out. If we were the Giants for example and as thin with pass rushers as this then we would be picking for that need in the first round for the better part of the next decade I expect.

In terms of comparing the two players (Coples and Gholston), they are both first round picks of the NY Jets who play on the defensive line and they are both players who were selected in part based upon their perceived ability to get to opposing QBs. Some comparisons are going to be inevitable. I have compared the good start made by Coples to the three years of wasted time and energy that was poured into Ghoslton by this organization and its fan base.

It's all good so far this time around :)

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Thelurker24;4490307]What most talking heads never seem to take into account is that we were conditioned into accepting Ingram at 16 because there was a possibility that he was going to be there. Up until Mayock's negative report of him a week or two before the draft almost every board had him in the top 8. Coples never seemed to be a possibility therefore not many actually did the research on how he would benefit the team and how great of a pick it would be.

What they failed to realize is that we potentially have a 3 down lineman that can pressure the quarterback from the interior. IMHO, an interior pass rush is what defeated Brady and won the Giants two rings. Pushing and collapsing the pocket will create many more opportunities for the linebackers to get to the quarterbacks. For what it is worth so far in OTA's, he has been living up to his potential therefore making him a great pick especially considering that he was picked 16th.

Also, if my team was under investigation, my coach was fired and I was thrown under the bus as well (though found innocent later), I would have done everything short of sitting out my senior season to protect my future. He took a calculated risk and still ended up being a top 20 pick. Maybe he is much smarter than we think?[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the board TheLurker24 & great post. I got a chance to meet Quinton Coples @TasteoftheNFL a couple of weeks back & observed him interacting with the fans for a couple of hours. He was well articulated, talked enthusiastically of the short time he has been in the NFL as a NY Jet & understands he is expected to be an instant starter on the 2012 roster.

Good luck to Coples & I have no doubt he will be a major contributor to the defense, all you have to do is believe.

;)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=detjetsfan;4491376]I don't really get the Gholston analogies with those people. So every pass rusher we draft now is going to be Gholston? If so, why was Melvin Ingram, he of short wingspan and undersized fame who doesn't even have much experience at OLB yet, how is he the one guy exempt from the Jets "Vernon Gholston" rule?

I guess the Lions shoulda passed up on Calvin Johnson because they drafted bust WR's like Rogers, Mike and Roy Williams.[/QUOTE]

I don't get how people don't grasp the obvious Gholston comparrison.

Gholston was a physical freak who was indifferent and lazy. He didn't love playing foobtall.

Coples senior season raises questions he might be the same way.

Ingram was a high motor guy. Obviously there's no comparrison there.

It's not "every defensive lineman" getting compared to Gholston. It's the one with red flags about their passion and desire.

I'm on board with Coples -- I hope he's a beast, he clearly has tons and tons of potential. But clearly there are comparrisons to be drawn with Gholston.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Austin;4491515]I don't get how people don't grasp the obvious Gholston comparrison.

Gholston was a physical freak who was indifferent and lazy. He didn't love playing foobtall.

Coples senior season raises questions he might be the same way.

Ingram was a high motor guy. Obviously there's no comparrison there.

It's not "every defensive lineman" getting compared to Gholston. It's the one with red flags about their passion and desire.

I'm on board with Coples -- I hope he's a beast, he clearly has tons and tons of potential. But clearly there are comparrisons to be drawn with Gholston.[/QUOTE]

This whole "motor" crap has been blown totally out of proportion.

Even guys like Julius Peppers and Mario Williams had their effort come into question when they came out. Hell, the majority of passrushers have this reputation.

If Coples didn't have the "inconsistent effort" rep, then there's no way in hell that he's there for us at #16. Just 9 months ago everyone was tagging him as the 2nd best player in the draft next to Andrew Luck.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Whata bust!! :yes:

[IMG]http://cdn.tdfimg.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/my-big-breasts-and-me.jpg[/IMG]