Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Landry Way Ahead of Schedule

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;4490596]So you didn't want them to sign the most talented player at a position they need heklp in because he's been injured?

Even if the contract they gave him protects them if he reinjures himself, doesn't bind them to him?

And they also covered themselves through the draft?

What exactly would you have liked them to do?

And do you really think that they signed a safety to appease a handful of fans? Thats a real reach, come on.[/QUOTE]

Would you be okay with signing Braylon Edwards today not knowing for sure if he will be 100% by opening day? Or would you rather bring another healthy body into camp that you feel could possibly help your team?

And I'm assuming you would think that Edwards can significantly help the team if healthy.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

[QUOTE=Jet Nut;4490600]In another thread, can't remember who they were, arguing that he was a doosh, Shanny was right, he wouldn't listen, bad guy, poor locker room guy because he clashed with mgt.

Pretty stupid sh1t.

Shocking as that might be.[/QUOTE]

It was JetsSignNewton or whatever his name is. Went so far as to say he hopes Landry gets injured. Landry's a good player and we haven't had a good safety in years, it's bizarre that most everyone here doesn't like the signing.

[QUOTE=jetrider;4490615]Yeremiah Bell's two best years were '08 & '09.

He missed '07 with a torn Achilles.[/QUOTE]

Do you know if he had the surgery or not?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;4490675]It was JetsSignNewton or whatever his name is. Went so far as to say he hopes Landry gets injured. Landry's a good player and we haven't had a good safety in years, it's bizarre that most everyone here doesn't like the signing.[/QUOTE]
    It's simple really.

I don't like the idea of signing a player who has not yet recovered from an injury that has sidelined him for the better part of 2 years. And who is using a "healing" procedure that has no history of success among professional football players.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Jordy;4490673]Would you be okay with signing Braylon Edwards today not knowing for sure if he will be 100% by opening day? Or would you rather bring another healthy body into camp that you feel could possibly help your team?

And I'm assuming you would think that Edwards can significantly help the team if healthy.[/QUOTE]

If he was the best WR out there and we had a need at WR as great as what we had at safety and could get him to a contract that protects us, yes. Doesn't mean I think he would solve the problem if he was one of the WR's on the team.

The difference at what the Jets did with safety is they also brought in bodies that ultimately might fix the position too. Again with Leonhard seemingly done and Smith being Smith, they had to sign players at the position. Their hands were tied, there weren't better alternatives. You can't just say, hmm, need a safety, get me a Reed type player.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Buzzsaw;4490675]It was JetsSignNewton or whatever his name is. Went so far as to say he hopes Landry gets injured. Landry's a good player and we haven't had a good safety in years, it's bizarre that most everyone here doesn't like the signing.[/QUOTE]

Bingo.

Like I keep saying, give us an alternative. And it's not like he's the only guy we added and have all our eggs in this basket. They're added plenty of safety help to the roster.

Funny, we'll get people drooling over adding Maybin, when everything in his past would suggest that the signing was a waste of time. How'd that turn out?

But a guy who's talented at a position we're desperate for help at we should pass on?

I don't get it either Buzz

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Jordy;4490660]That has nothing to do with Landry.

For every one successful achilles recovery, I could probably site you 10 unsuccessful ones that ended careers.

Not to mention that Landry is taking a non-surgical approach that, as far as I know, no other professional athlete has successfully and fully recovered from.[/QUOTE]

I don't think you would. Can't think of that many who's careers ended due to Achilles injuries.

B Thomas?

Vinny?

Marino?

Bell?

[QUOTE=Jet Nut;4490694]I don't think you would. Can't think of that many who's careers ended due to Achilles injuries.

B Thomas?

Vinny?

Marino?

Bell?[/QUOTE]

most players aren't the same after an achilles injury...to me it really depends on the position and the overall body weight of the player...but its rare that an achilles injury outright ends a career.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;4490691]Bingo.

Like I keep saying, give us an alternative. And it's not like he's the only guy we added and have all our eggs in this basket. They're added plenty of safety help to the roster.

Funny, we'll get people drooling over adding Maybin, when everything in his past would suggest that the signing was a waste of time. How'd that turn out?

But a guy who's talented at a position we're desperate for help at we should pass on?

I don't get it either Buzz[/QUOTE]

I happened to be one of the Maybin supporters. And still am.

Two totally different situations.

Look, you are who you are. You pretty much support everything the Jets do.

I try to be a realist. Am I hopeful the guy can play 16 games? Yes.

Am I optimistic? Absolutely not.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=TurkJetFan;4490698]most players aren't the same after an achilles injury...to me it really depends on the position and the overall body weight of the player...but its rare that an achilles injury outright ends a career.[/QUOTE]
    Essentially it does end careers. Because of the fact you mentioned in the first sentence. It may not necessarily be immediate. But it is the contributory factor to ending careers.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=RaoulDuke;4490536]Landry way ahead of schedule :yes:

[IMG]http://students.ou.edu/M/Danny.E.Mattox-1/pictures/jay_cutler_mr_universe.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

Is that pic real?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4490705]Is that pic real?[/QUOTE]
    I know. His package is disproportionately too large to be real.

My favorite off season pick up. Can't wait to see him destroy tight ends (hopefully) lol.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4490708]I know. His package is disproportionately too large to be real.[/QUOTE]

LOL.

I think being that muscular is just as bad as being one of the 1,000 lb. people.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4490712]LOL.

I think being that muscular is just as bad as being one of the 1,000 lb. people.[/QUOTE]
    I agree. If real, that simply CAN'T be healthy.

Jets Insider VIP
    I, of course, would LOVE to see Landry emerge as one of the top safeties in the NFL, something that his physical abilities indicate could happen

however, I, too remain nervous about him choosing a holistic, non-surgical solution to an injury to the achilles tendon

it would be nice if it works out positively, but I'm glad that the Jets structured his contract to void if he reinjures his achilles

AND

also that they drafted a safety and brought in Bell in case the Landry gamble turns out badly

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4490660]

Not to mention that Landry is taking a non-surgical approach that, [B]as far as I know[/B], no other professional athlete has successfully and fully recovered from.[/QUOTE]

As far as you know.

_

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=sg3;4490745]

however, I, too remain nervous about him choosing a [B]holistic[/B] solution to an injury to the achilles tendon

[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=sg3;4490745]

however, I, too remain nervous about him choosing a [B]non-surgical[/B] solution to an injury to the achilles tendon

[/QUOTE]

I do not think you know what those words mean.

_

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Jordy;4490699]I happened to be one of the Maybin supporters. And still am.

Two totally different situations.

Look, you are who you are. You pretty much support everything the Jets do.

I try to be a realist. Am I hopeful the guy can play 16 games? Yes.

Am I optimistic? Absolutely not.[/QUOTE]

None of your posts come close to answering the question I asked way back. What would you have liked them to do instead of the many moves they've made to strengthen the position?

I'm the realist here actually. The FO has access to tape, medical history, Drs reports, Drs prognosis that you or I don't have access to. They're not in the position or business to just give money away. If they think theres a chance he can help and that the risk is worth it why and who are you to tell us that they're wrong? Have you talked to his DRs etc?

You're not being realistic, you're being a fan and just don't see it. The numbers for those who lose careers due to the injury is about a third. Again, odds aren't too bad, worth a shot. Is there risk, yes. But to go on and on and on that it was a bad move or more to it that no one comes back is wrong and is pointless. Doesn't make you a homer to think 2/3 return is a chance worth taking given the circumstances.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=JStokes;4490747]As far as you know.

_[/QUOTE]

He also thinks that no one comes back from the injury.

Which isn't true at all.