Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Story: Young Receivers Look Up to Santonio Holmes

New Story: Young Receivers Look Up to Santonio Holmes

[B]Florham Park, N.J.[/B] - Ask you're average football fan what they think of Santonio Holmes and you're likely to hear a long list of negative adjectives. They might say he's selfish, a diva and or a headache, but ask his fellow receivers on his team and you'll get an entirely different answer, one that might lead you to believe we're talking about two completely different people and in many ways we are.

No one condones Holmes' actions at the end of last season and ideally, yes it would be great if he would just play nice with the media, but that's...

[url=http://www.jetsinsider.com/blogs/christopher_nimbley/?p=2160]More...[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Tone acted like a dick.

We got rid of Schoddy.

:)

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=freestater;4491024]Tone acted like a dick.

We got rid of Schoddy.

:)[/QUOTE]

Are you saying Tone did a Stokes? Or did Stokes do a Tone.

:dunno:

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Actually they look down on him, which is a good thing.

To me, the problems that went around last season had to do with Schotty and Sanchez. Schotty is already gone so it is up to Sanchez to get his act together. If he can do that Santonio will do wonders for our offense. We already know he has that kind of talent.

I did not approve of his behavior at the end of last season and I don't anyone ever will approve. There's a place for discussions like that and national television is not one of them. But I do think his gripes were justified.

I do believe this season will be different. All reports indicate Sanchez is on a mission. A mission to become a decent QB. Schotty is no longer with us. And although Santonio had a tough go of things last week in practice, I'm certain he'll be ready to go full bore when the season starts.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Dear The Jets;

Please keep "young recievers" away from Holmes.

Pleeeeeeease.

Signed

Tired of this ****.

Thankee.

-

[SIZE="4"][B]THRILL HILL[/B]!![/SIZE] :yes: :yes::yes:

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=JI BREAKING NEWS TICKER;4491015][B]Florham Park, N.J.[/B] - Ask [B]you're[/B] average football fan what they think of Santonio Holmes and you're likely to hear a long list of negative adjectives. They might say he's selfish, a diva and or a headache, but ask his fellow receivers on his team and you'll get an entirely different answer, one that might lead you to believe we're talking about two completely different people and in many ways we are.

No one condones Holmes' actions at the end of last season and ideally, yes it would be great if he would just play nice with the media, but that's...

[url=http://www.jetsinsider.com/blogs/christopher_nimbley/?p=2160]More...[/url][/QUOTE]
    A grammatical error two words in, lol. Quality article.

Hall Of Fame
    I give Nimbley credit. He did a great job discussing this on the podcast. He might be one of the only members of the media that doesn't give in to the sensationalism surrounding Holmes.

He discusses what he sees from Santonio in person rather than on TV. We will never know what happened in that huddle or what caused him and Sanchez to be at odds. All we have is speculation.

Fact is if you go to a Jets practice, especially TC, you will always find Santonio talking to the younger players and helping them out. He is very engaged with him teammates.

Does Holmes have some things he needs to work on. I am sure he does. But the guy is a winner and he is one of the few players that raises his game when the stakes are the highest. We have all seen what he is capable of. That is why I give him the benefit of the doubt. I have seen him be a good teammate and a leader. He has proven himself on the field. Unfortunately he did not help himself last year. I am sure he wishes he handled some things differently but he was not the only one at fault.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=10PennyToColes87;4491055]A grammatical error two words in, lol. Quality article.[/QUOTE]

How much did you pay to read that article? ;)

[QUOTE=10PennyToColes87;4491055]A grammatical error two words in, lol. Quality article.[/QUOTE]

Yup YOU'RE correct. I did make a simple mistake, thank you for pointing it out. It has been fixed. In my defense when writing and editing something you just wrote sometimes you see what's in YOUR head and not what has been written.

Carry on.

[QUOTE=cnimbley;4491071]Yup YOU'RE correct. I did make a simple mistake, thank you for pointing it out. It has been fixed. In my defense when writing and editing something you just wrote sometimes you see what's in YOUR head and not what has been written.

Carry on.[/QUOTE]

Note: In future, send article to mom/dad/sister/brother/significantother, or 10PennyToColes87 for proofreading prior to publication :)

Good article, thanks !!!

[QUOTE=Demosthenes9;4491072]Note: In future, send article to mom/dad/sister/brother/significantother, or 10PennyToColes87 for proofreading prior to publication :)

Good article, thanks !!![/QUOTE]

Haha, thanks.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=cnimbley;4491071]Yup YOU'RE correct. I did make a simple mistake, thank you for pointing it out. It has been fixed. In my defense when writing and editing something you just wrote sometimes you see what's in YOUR head and not what has been written.

Carry on.[/QUOTE]

Just bustin' your balls, man. Not a big deal at all.

[QUOTE=Demosthenes9;4491072]Note: In future, send article to mom/dad/sister/brother/significantother, or 10PennyToColes87 for proofreading prior to publication :)

Good article, thanks !!![/QUOTE]
    Love the butthurt.

Veteran
    Good article. I hope the readers can grasp the underlying message; players are people and people screw up sometimes. The media does nothing to help dissuade the negative feelings that they create in an attempt to sell more newspapers. Instead they sensationalize any misstep by a player in an effort to polarize a particular player, which in turn gives them (media people) fodder for future controversy. Case in point, Holmes throwing his helmet last week. Not one media outlet presented the possibility that he was mad at himself or injured. They all talked about him throwing a tantrum, and most here jumped on the wagon and began the stoning. Even this week when Jenny V (respectable journalist IMHO) brought to light the hamstring issue, there were still those that snidely commented he didn't look hurt last week. We used to depend on the media to give us correct information, now we have to compare contrasting reports hoping for resolution, but still end up having to wait until the hacks reluctantly give us the full story. It is truly sad for those of us too far away to witness camp in person. :steamin:

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.

He was quick today........

[IMG]http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/8948/img0539yr.jpg[/IMG]

[QUOTE=CraigFL;4491103]Good article. I hope the readers can grasp the underlying message; players are people and people screw up sometimes. The media does nothing to help dissuade the negative feelings that they create in an attempt to sell more newspapers. Instead they sensationalize any misstep by a player in an effort to polarize a particular player, which in turn gives them (media people) fodder for future controversy. Case in point, Holmes throwing his helmet last week. Not one media outlet presented the possibility that he was mad at himself or injured. They all talked about him throwing a tantrum, and most here jumped on the wagon and began the stoning. Even this week when Jenny V (respectable journalist IMHO) brought to light the hamstring issue, there were still those that snidely commented he didn't look hurt last week. We used to depend on the media to give us correct information, now we have to compare contrasting reports hoping for resolution, but still end up having to wait until the hacks reluctantly give us the full story. It is truly sad for those of us too far away to witness camp in person. :steamin:[/QUOTE]

On the flip side of the equation, we don't live in an absolute black and white world, meaning that even people such as psychopathic serial killers might have some "good" in them :)

To whit, that Holmes is helpful in many ways with the young receivers doesn't preclude him from still being a cancer in the locker room, or one who quits on his teammates, or that finds other ways to cause trouble/drama.

:)

[QUOTE=cnimbley;4491078]Haha, thanks.[/QUOTE]

YW.

I received that sage piece of advice from one of my college professors after she handed back my error filled paper that I had personally proofread at least 5 times before handing it in :) (and yeah, that was in the EARLY days of spell check :) )

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Mainejet;4491033]To me, the problems that went around last season had to do with Schotty and Sanchez. Schotty is already gone so it is up to Sanchez to get his act together. If he can do that Santonio will do wonders for our offense. We already know he has that kind of talent.

I did not approve of his behavior at the end of last season and I don't anyone ever will approve. There's a place for discussions like that and national television is not one of them. But I do think his gripes were justified.

I do believe this season will be different. All reports indicate Sanchez is on a mission. A mission to become a decent QB. Schotty is no longer with us. And although Santonio had a tough go of things last week in practice, I'm certain he'll be ready to go full bore when the season starts.[/QUOTE]

Holmes had one good season in his career. This was a season on a SB winning team, where he had Wallace taking coverages over top, and Hines ward as the teams #1 reciever. If your saying he's a special talent because he was able to get open as the #3 option on a SB winning team. I disagree.

He's an slightly above average player and nothing more. His 6 years in the NFL have proven.

[QUOTE=10PennyToColes87;4491082]Just bustin' your balls, man. Not a big deal at all.

Love the butthurt.[/QUOTE]

No worries, I wasn't bothered by your comment even if my response read that way. I only offered the explanation because the you're/your mistake is something that tends to really irk me. I capitalized them show I grasp the concept of which to use. I was serious when I thanked you for pointing it out because it does look bad & I could change it.