Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RUSTOLEUM AUTO PAINT JOB....

All League
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKrbH-IXDBE&feature=plcp

took me awhile but i finally got the last two installments finished!!!

All League
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAzp3kdOIrE&feature=plcp

final product right here fella's!!!! for a first timer it wasn't too bad i guess. i would not go and paint a new car but for a car thats used just for odds and ends it worked out perfectly for me.

total spent on project

$89.00

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    What about labor hours?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    What about labor hours?
    i work six days a week so the only free day i had was sunday. so i guess i would say anywhere from 18 to 36 hours tops.

and four six packs of beer

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Apparently you unveiled it during a nearby Shuttle launch.

-

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Apparently you unveiled it during a nearby Shuttle launch.

-

gotta fine tune the audio but yea thats the legendary bullet proof inline-six that chrysler/jeep was famous for.

Veteran
    Nice job Neev ... for a guy like me, who's only ever painted rooms not cars, why three coats of primer ?

And secondly why wait a couple of months to add the clear coat ? I am sure there is a reason ... ?

You've got over 100K miles on a Jeep Grand Cherokee, I presume there is a lot of money to be spent in keeping it going ? I like that old school body but they have such a bad rep. for reliability ...

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by neevsmazda07 View Post

... and four six packs of beer
    Jay ... sus I resume we are talking something with a low alcohol content

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    Nice job Neev ... for a guy like me, who's only ever painted rooms not cars, why three coats of primer ?

And secondly why wait a couple of months to add the clear coat ? I am sure there is a reason ... ?

You've got over 100K miles on a Jeep Grand Cherokee, I presume there is a lot of money to be spent in keeping it going ? I like that old school body but they have such a bad rep. for reliability ...

thanks gangrene, i applied thin coats evenly on the hole car. in hindsight i only really needed to cover the areas that were in the early stages of rust or areas on the jeep that commonly end up with rust{ fender wells- quarter panels etc.} the clear coat was just an insurance policy of sorts to give the paint the most duration i could from the brutal florida sun. if i can get at least three years out of the paint job then it was well worth it in my opinion. as far as the maintenance goes, i changed the transmission on the jeep at about the 90k mark. from what im told that was the only weak point on these jeeps. i did that with my father in law and we only had hand tools at the time. that sucked.....

my next project will be the rear shocks and possibly all the suspension bushings.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    Jay ... sus I resume we are talking something with a low alcohol content
    heinikens and ac/dc my friend
    its a must for my busted knuckle garage

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by neevsmazda07 View Post
    thanks gangrene, i applied thin coats evenly on the hole car. in hindsight i only really needed to cover the areas that were in the early stages of rust or areas on the jeep that commonly end up with rust{ fender wells- quarter panels etc.} the clear coat was just an insurance policy of sorts to give the paint the most duration i could from the brutal florida sun. if i can get at least three years out of the paint job then it was well worth it in my opinion. as far as the maintenance goes, i changed the transmission on the jeep at about the 90k mark. from what im told that was the only weak point on these jeeps. i did that with my father in law and we only had hand tools at the time. that sucked.....

my next project will be the rear shocks and possibly all the suspension bushings.
    Excellent job, the thing looks gorgeous ..., gotta park that baby in your garage out of the sun

Veteran
    ac/dc seems like an excellent choice ... air-guitar, after a few six packs, with a spray gun in hand sounds like dangerous fun