Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Blogger's Mini Camp Day Three Observations

Veteran

Blogger's Mini Camp Day Three Observations

[SIZE="5"]Observations from New York Jets' Wednesday Minicamp Practice[/SIZE]
    By
    Ryan Alfieri
    (Featured Columnist) on June 13, 2012

Wednesday's Jets minicamp was open to the public, so, living in relatively close proximity to Florham park, I was able to attend.

It was my first time at the Jets facility. If you have never been there, imagine a NASA space center with football fields behind it. Quite an impressive building.

Anyway, here is what caught my eye watching practice:

Based on where I was standing, I was able to get a real close look at the offensive lineman, and I decided to take a close look at Vladimir Ducasse. It was my first time seeing Ducasse in person, but I was impressed by his athleticism. The man can move, but he struggled a bit on the sled, using somewhat lazy technique.

What disappointed me was his performance in the blitz pick-up drill. He was criticized multiple times by coaches for being hesitant in making a move to pick up the linebacker. While it was only one practice, I was underwhelmed by Ducasse.

Of course, the big attraction to the public was being able to watch Tebow and Sanchez directly compete with each other. After watching both players in 11-on-11 drills, trust me when I say that there is no competition at quarterback.

Sanchez was sharp, hitting receivers in stride and being decisive with the ball. He made a great scrambling play where he hit Jeremy Kerely on a comeback route, who gained about a foot of separation on a slipping Darrelle Revis.

Tebow, on the other hand, was largely a disaster. He threw a couple of "wounded ducks" and drove a ball into Eron Riley's feet on a shallow crossing route. To be honest, I wish every Jets fan had a chance to see this practice just to get an idea for how much better of a passer Sanchez is than Tebow.

Chaz Schilens was a another player who caught my eye, and Shonn Greene did a nice job catching passes out of the backfield. Joe McKnight looked explosive as well.

The crowd was pretty quiet, which let Tony Sparano's voice (and rather colorful language) cut through the air. On almost every play, he was telling the offense to push the tempo and get to the line of scrimmage faster.

The defense was practicing on the other side of the field, so I did not get a chance to look at them in individual drills. But I did notice that Josh Mauga was working at outside linebacker with the starters.

Overall, a solid practice with few surprises, but a strong day for Mark Sanchez.

[QUOTE=Gangrene;4491194]
    Sanchez was sharp[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Gangrene;4491194]Tebow, on the other hand, was largely a disaster.[/QUOTE]

he sounds very unbiased :rolleyes:

from all the reports i read so far sanchez struggled, and tebow barely gets any reps since hes the backup, and when he does i remember reading about 4-5 times the receivers dropped touchdown passes from him.

other than that theres nothing to add. tebow is a gamer, hes not somebody who will beat a veteran QB in training, he just doesnt look good there. on sundays however its a different story. theres a bunch of QB's that look good in practice and they cant get the job done on sundays. i rather have a guy like tebow in that case. so in order for tebow to get on the field he needs mark to struggle first (during the season). he will not beat mark in camp

[QUOTE=DaBallhawk;4491217]he sounds very unbiased :rolleyes:
    [/QUOTE]

As do you :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=DaBallhawk;4491217]he sounds very unbiased :rolleyes:

from all the reports i read so far sanchez struggled, and tebow barely gets any reps since hes the backup, and when he does i remember reading about 4-5 times the receivers dropped touchdown passes from him.

other than that theres nothing to add. tebow is a gamer, hes not somebody who will beat a veteran QB in training, he just doesnt look good there. on sundays however its a different story. theres a bunch of QB's that look good in practice and they cant get the job done on sundays. i rather have a guy like tebow in that case. so in order for tebow to get on the field he needs mark to struggle first (during the season). he will not beat mark in camp[/QUOTE]

Tebow lost his last 3 games at the end of last season...and got killed on the road in New England.....way to show up on Sundays Tebow.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4491226]As do you :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

lol

Hall Of Fame
    I am having deja vu with the direction this thread is going.

All League
    [QUOTE=sec.101row23;4491260]I am having deja vu with the direction this thread is going.[/QUOTE]

:D

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    I'm hoping today there is a little more action and close up, otherwise it's a big disappointment from a viewing perspective.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Gangrene;4491194][SIZE="5"]Observations from New York Jets' Wednesday Minicamp Practice[/SIZE]
    By
    Ryan Alfieri
    (Featured Columnist) on June 13, 2012

Wednesday's Jets minicamp was open to the public, so, living in relatively close proximity to Florham park, I was able to attend.

It was my first time at the Jets facility. If you have never been there, imagine a NASA space center with football fields behind it. Quite an impressive building.

Anyway, here is what caught my eye watching practice:

Based on where I was standing, I was able to get a real close look at the offensive lineman, and I decided to take a close look at Vladimir Ducasse. It was my first time seeing Ducasse in person, but I was impressed by his athleticism. The man can move, but he struggled a bit on the sled, using somewhat lazy technique.

What disappointed me was his performance in the blitz pick-up drill. He was criticized multiple times by coaches for being hesitant in making a move to pick up the linebacker. While it was only one practice, I was underwhelmed by Ducasse.

Of course, the big attraction to the public was being able to watch Tebow and Sanchez directly compete with each other. After watching both players in 11-on-11 drills, trust me when I say that there is no competition at quarterback.

Sanchez was sharp, hitting receivers in stride and being decisive with the ball. He made a great scrambling play where he hit Jeremy Kerely on a comeback route, who gained about a foot of separation on a slipping Darrelle Revis.

Tebow, on the other hand, was largely a disaster. He threw a couple of "wounded ducks" and drove a ball into Eron Riley's feet on a shallow crossing route. To be honest, I wish every Jets fan had a chance to see this practice just to get an idea for how much better of a passer Sanchez is than Tebow.

Chaz Schilens was a another player who caught my eye, and Shonn Greene did a nice job catching passes out of the backfield. Joe McKnight looked explosive as well.

The crowd was pretty quiet, which let Tony Sparano's voice (and rather colorful language) cut through the air. On almost every play, he was telling the offense to push the tempo and get to the line of scrimmage faster.

The defense was practicing on the other side of the field, so I did not get a chance to look at them in individual drills. But I did notice that Josh Mauga was working at outside linebacker with the starters.

Overall, a solid practice with few surprises, but a strong day for Mark Sanchez.[/QUOTE]

when they are facing the baltimore ravens defense or any good defense we will see who the gamer is.................not sanchez that is for sure........He has always looked good in practice in shorts it is when the bullets are flying when I am worried............:yes:

All League
    [QUOTE=Apache 51;4491272]I'm hoping today there is a little more action and close up, otherwise it's a big disappointment from a viewing perspective.[/QUOTE]

Florham Park is a great facility and I'm sure the team appreciates it. But
    its not built for viewing practices, no stands for the public and the grounds
    are sloped and hilly when you have to stand

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=Gangrene;4491194][SIZE="5"]
    The crowd was pretty quiet, which let Tony Sparano's voice (and rather colorful language) cut through the air. [B]On almost every play, he was telling the offense to push the tempo and get to the line of scrimmage faster.[/B]
    [/QUOTE]

I'll skip the obvious and focus on one thing that caught my eye. I like that Sparano is focusing on the above. I absolutely detest when the Offense waits til 1 second to snap the ball on seemingly every play. I like that they are focusing on getting to the line quickly. More than once, the Jets either burned a time out or took a delay of game penalty because they were indecisive or lolligagging it up to the line.

Finish the play, get yer arse up to the new LOS and get in the huddle. Don't start the huddle with 15 seconds left on the playclock and have everyone be scrambling to get in the right spot. As with everything in life - be decisive and move with a sense of purpose.

Practice Squad
    [QUOTE=Gangrene;4491194][SIZE="5"]Observations from New York Jets' Wednesday Minicamp Practice[/SIZE]

[/QUOTE]

This is mostly a drill to force the offense to learn the new playbook quicker. Players know they don't have time to think of the play, so they have to study harder to know it more thoroughly. (perhaps explains why the offense has been poor, not everybody fully understands their role in each play yet.)

Veteran
    [QUOTE=crasherino;4491288]I'll skip the obvious and focus on one thing that caught my eye. I like that Sparano is focusing on the above. I absolutely detest when the Offense waits til 1 second to snap the ball on seemingly every play. I like that they are focusing on getting to the line quickly. More than once, the Jets either burned a time out or took a delay of game penalty because they were indecisive or lolligagging it up to the line.

Finish the play, get yer arse up to the new LOS and get in the huddle. Don't start the huddle with 15 seconds left on the playclock and have everyone be scrambling to get in the right spot. As with everything in life - be decisive and move with a sense of purpose.[/QUOTE]

Let's see how efficient Sparano is at calling plays in actual games.

I also hope to see a heavier dose of no-huddle - because it works.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=crasherino;4491288]I'll skip the obvious and focus on one thing that caught my eye. I like that Sparano is focusing on the above. I absolutely detest when the Offense waits til 1 second to snap the ball on seemingly every play. I like that they are focusing on getting to the line quickly. More than once, the Jets either burned a time out or took a delay of game penalty because they were indecisive or lolligagging it up to the line.

Finish the play, get yer arse up to the new LOS and get in the huddle. Don't start the huddle with 15 seconds left on the playclock and have everyone be scrambling to get in the right spot. As with everything in life - be decisive and move with a sense of purpose.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. There were a lot of times that plays and substitutions were late. I also think Mark does MUCH better when things are faster tempo, I think thats why he seems to do well in 2 minute situations. It also puts a little pressure on the defense.

Jets Insider VIP
    I was there as well and while Sanchez wasn't perfect he did "move the ball" better and his passes looked good.

On the other hand as the OP said Tebow was off yesterday. Throws to people's shoes and the only one that had zip he tried to force through 3 defenders (tipped twice) and was picked off by the third.

The thing that is missing obviously, is pressure and letting Tebow show his escapability. There was one "sack" of Tebow that looked like the kind of play where he would have slipped out of the grab and made something happen.

Thankfully there are only 2 months until the first preseason game so we can see what the team really looks like in action.

You mean like on the first play from scrimmage against the Chiefs? :steamin:

Solid post btw

Jets Insider VIP
    Vlad is a turd. It may be time to cut the chord. Tanny gave gholsten 3 years so maybe thats the standard within the organization for high draft picks.

Tebow will never look good in practice. He makes plays freelancing in games. We all know that.

I liked the tidbit about the running backs. It looks like Mcknight will be given the shot to be the 3rd down back. Greene improved last year in his pass catching as he had 30 grabs. Sounds like he may have improved even more in that area.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Gangrene;4491194]

Joe McKnight looked explosive as well.

[/QUOTE]

Good to hear :yes:

_

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=JStokes;4491381]Good to hear :yes:

_[/QUOTE]

What if he was referring to how McKnight was projecting his vomit?

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4491384]What if he was referring to how McKnight was projecting his vomit?[/QUOTE]

He said "explosive" which is used to describe diarrhea.

_