Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is anyone else getting excited about this team?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can't be excited because as far as I am concerned, this is the same team as last year with the addition of the 2012 draft class. Who can predict what the picks will end up contributing----but if the first two are studs, then this time might be intersting. If not, I don't see how they really improved themselves.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't know which thread to post this question in, so I figured instead of creating a new thread, this one (in regards to being excited about this up coming team) would be the best place for it...

Overall thoughts on our 3-4 DE duo in Muhammad Wilkerson and Quinton Coples? What type of duo do you believe they'll combine for this season, and also, which player do you feel has the most amount of talent/potential say 2-3 years from today?

Last but not least, I've really begun to appreciate the looks of our secondary on paper. We seem to feature the strongest trio of CB's around in Revis, Cromartie and Wilson. Last year, I couldn't stand having both Leonhard and Smith as our (starting) safety's but now feel that both Bell and Landry can create for two very solid safety's moving forward.

Looking forward to watching the play of our defensive line and secondary.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=rextilleon;4492256]I can't be excited because as far as I am concerned, this is the same team as last year with the addition of the 2012 draft class. Who can predict what the picks will end up contributing----but if the first two are studs, then this time might be intersting. If not, I don't see how they really improved themselves.[/QUOTE]

Good, opinion heard... now go away and beat your family and pets to asauge your depression...

Some of us believe (as opposed to hope) this is going to be a GREAT year,,, no predictions, maybe only a step to the big one, but one of former rookies coming of age with a class of actual rookies portending a great future. It's dynasty time folks, bet on it.

PM me with your cash bets... back up your depressed BS with something that will hurt when your gloom and doom is blown away by reality.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Bonhomme Richard;4491574]Nope. I don't even know why I post here.[/QUOTE]

Ha. Best post of the day!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;4492137]and as you know, Defense Wins Championships[/QUOTE]

I'm not so sure. Every player on the team was not mentioned. ;)

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [B]NY2FLDWC85 Same team as last year? News to me, because I never knew that Sanchez was only heading into his 3rd season, that DeVito is still hurt and/or that Kerley, Wilkerson and Ellis were still considered as being rookies? If this were the same team as last year, that's news to the rest of us, because the last time we checked? Tebow, Cumberland, Quinton Coples, Stephen Hill, Demario Davis, Yeremiah Bell and LaRon Landry all say otherwise. So do the injuries to our offensive line. Same team as last year? Which means that Sparano is still with the Dolphins while Shotty Jr's still controlling our offensive playbook yet again? [/B]

Nice block of text, but it doesn't change anything. Fundamentally, this is the same squad of players that failed miserably last year both on and off the field. I don't see any OL'men on your list and that was our biggest breakdown area. I don't see another playmaking WR except a hyped rookie who's done nothing. I don't see a legitimate safety other than a fragile castoff who can't stay on the field. Even Sparano can't make something happen with that OL even though his playbook will supposedly be much improved.

[B]Did you expect for the front office to completely blow up the entire ship, despite the fact that we've landed two AFC Championship game appearances over the past three years?[/B]

Yes. That's what good teams do. Go look at the 2008 New England Patriots, what [I]they [/I]did to rebuild on the fly. And it would have been easier for us- we just needed a new heavyweight head coach to restore order to a loose, lazy, undisciplined team. We didn't need to destroy the roster, just the head coach.

[B]Last but not least, I wouldn't consider last years 6-10 Dolphins (x2), 6-10 Bills (x2), 2-14 Colts, 7-9 Seahawks, 2-14 Rams, 8-8 Cardinals, 5-11 Jaguars, 9-7 Titans and 8-8 Chargers as being an "extremely tough" schedule. [/B]

The issue isn't who we play- the issue is [I]when [/I]we play them. The first 7 games are the toughest part of our schedule where we'll have a fragile team that's still hungover from last year's 0-3 collapse. Vegas will have us opening the season 2-5, could very well be 1-6. It's not unrealistic to imagine a scenario where we're a train-wreck at the bye with a hopeless record and a team that's destroyed on the inside. Not too far fetched to see a HC change and a QB change at Week 9 when faced with the impossible task of ending 7-1 just to have a chance at a wildcard.

[B]Yes, we also have the Steelers, 49ers and Texans... But lets not act like this schedule is tougher when compared to last year, because it's not. Last season we had the Cowboys, Ravens, Eagles and Giants on our schedule. We lost 3 of those 4 games.[/B]

I think you're supporting my point now. Last year's team- you know, the one favored to go to the Super Bowl chock-full of talent- didn't beat a single team with a winning record. And now this year's edition- less talented and a head-case- doesn't seem like any improvement to me. Oh, and last year this team believed in Rex Ryan through Week 13. When we open 2-5 and in a hopeless situation, that's when we pay the price for keeping him an extra year.

Great teams know when to make changes, and this team needs them badly. We need an experienced head coach, not a rookie. We need a disciplinarian, not a players-coach. We need someone adept in all phases of the game, not a glorified defensive coordinator. Most of all, we need someone this group of players can believe in, and that's not Rex Ryan.

SAR I

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    This message is hidden because SAR I is on your ignore list.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    ... very excited about the moves this team has made going into 2012 ...

... with reasonable improvement from mark ... loved this years draft ...

... only thing that can make me happier is having an average RT be a training camp cut from another team & picking him up ... if that happens we win the superbowl :iwon: :cool: ...

l_j_r
    Last edited by lamont_jordan_rules; 06-16-2012 at 09:38 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=rextilleon;4492256]I can't be excited because as far as I am concerned, this is the same team as last year with the addition of the 2012 draft class. Who can predict what the picks will end up contributing----but if the first two are studs, then this time might be intersting. If not, I don't see how they really improved themselves.[/QUOTE]

This is utterly ridiculous thinking!
    How would you like to be a Jaguars fan?

1- We got rid of what I believe was the biggest cancer in the Jets organization by canning Shoddy.

2- Considering that the offense was mistake prone, undisciplined, fighting among themselves, we bring in a guy that Bill Parcells personally tabbed as the "HEAD COACH" of the Dolphins, (a team by the way with less talent then the Jets, but still managed to give the Jets fits & win a good share of their games against us while he was the coach). Already the guy has come in & simplified the offense to get back to the basic fundamentals of "EXECUTING" basic plays to the 9th degree! Ala Parcells.

3- We might have one of the best secondaries in the league, with Revis & Cro plus Wilson is going into his 3rd year in the same system with the same coaches.

4- We brought in Yeramiah Bell (who looks to be in amazing shape) & is a good veteran, drafted a couple of safeties with upside & signed some UDFAs.
    Landry is ahead of schedule (even though we don't know? what if he can contribute? this guy is twice the player as Leonard or Smith). So even though we still have questions at the safety spots, they will be better with just the addition of Bell & some youngsters that can run.

5- We are loaded at linebacker! Thomas is back & though he's older the guy is a steady performer, & is excellent at setting an edge (teams killed the Jets when he went down running around the ends). Scott is on a mission! 20Lbs lost! Everyone could see he was fat & unmotivated last year, but, he's still a guy with pride & I'm sure the criticism cut like a knife.
    Harris is one the the best ILB in the league, Pace will be scary now that we have ends on the Dline that can get penetration to get upfield.
    Maybin has put on weight, will have a FULL CAMP with Rex! With all of this was added a young speedster in Damario Davis who Rex will bring along as the season progresses. In the past Rex had to use Harris to blitz up the middle but now that he has Davis, you'll see him used in that capacity.
    And we have some solid backups.

6- The Dline! Rex is in his glory this year with this group! Come on folks, Wilkerson was rated as a top 5 3/4 lineman last year, got better as the year went on & he had NO FRIGGING CAMP! Watch the interview with him at the official Jets site. He's been working out with the Jets trainers & the guy looks freaking lean, mean & jacked!
    Pouha is already considered just a step under Ngata as a nose. Devito will now be OUR BACKUP. Rex says Ellis is in the best shape of his life, the deportation/jail worry will be over when he reports to camp a couple days late & he also will benefit from being in Cortland.
    Now we added Coples which will make everyone elses job easier, we have a great Dline coach in Dunbar & he has a plethera of depth to keep guys fresh, & I didn't even mention Dixon who keeps getting better.

7- Sanchez, He only needs to get a little better to help the defense. I believe he will under Sparano. Tebow will be a monster in short yardage situations, moving the chains & prolonging drives for Mark.

8- Receivers/TEs? I have no clue. But getting rid of Burress for TEAM PLAYERS is addition by subtraction. Mark had 3 bad apples last year in Holmes/Burress/Mason. Lot of IFS but there is potential with Hill, Kerley will be better, & maybe Cumberland will surprise, he was coming on last preseason.
    Last edited by jetster; 06-15-2012 at 09:01 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4492352][B]NY2FLDWC85 Same team as last year? News to me, because I never knew that Sanchez was only heading into his 3rd season, that DeVito is still hurt and/or that Kerley, Wilkerson and Ellis were still considered as being rookies? If this were the same team as last year, that's news to the rest of us, because the last time we checked? Tebow, Cumberland, Quinton Coples, Stephen Hill, Demario Davis, Yeremiah Bell and LaRon Landry all say otherwise. So do the injuries to our offensive line. Same team as last year? Which means that Sparano is still with the Dolphins while Shotty Jr's still controlling our offensive playbook yet again? [/B]

Nice block of text, but it doesn't change anything. Fundamentally, this is the same squad of players that failed miserably last year both on and off the field. I don't see any OL'men on your list and that was our biggest breakdown area. I don't see another playmaking WR except a hyped rookie who's done nothing. I don't see a legitimate safety other than a fragile castoff who can't stay on the field. Even Sparano can't make something happen with that OL even though his playbook will supposedly be much improved.

[B]Did you expect for the front office to completely blow up the entire ship, despite the fact that we've landed two AFC Championship game appearances over the past three years?[/B]

Yes. That's what good teams do. Go look at the 2008 New England Patriots, what [I]they [/I]did to rebuild on the fly. And it would have been easier for us- we just needed a new heavyweight head coach to restore order to a loose, lazy, undisciplined team. We didn't need to destroy the roster, just the head coach.

[B]Last but not least, I wouldn't consider last years 6-10 Dolphins (x2), 6-10 Bills (x2), 2-14 Colts, 7-9 Seahawks, 2-14 Rams, 8-8 Cardinals, 5-11 Jaguars, 9-7 Titans and 8-8 Chargers as being an "extremely tough" schedule. [/B]

The issue isn't who we play- the issue is [I]when [/I]we play them. The first 7 games are the toughest part of our schedule where we'll have a fragile team that's still hungover from last year's 0-3 collapse. Vegas will have us opening the season 2-5, could very well be 1-6. It's not unrealistic to imagine a scenario where we're a train-wreck at the bye with a hopeless record and a team that's destroyed on the inside. Not too far fetched to see a HC change and a QB change at Week 9 when faced with the impossible task of ending 7-1 just to have a chance at a wildcard.

[B]Yes, we also have the Steelers, 49ers and Texans... But lets not act like this schedule is tougher when compared to last year, because it's not. Last season we had the Cowboys, Ravens, Eagles and Giants on our schedule. We lost 3 of those 4 games.[/B]

I think you're supporting my point now. Last year's team- you know, the one favored to go to the Super Bowl chock-full of talent- didn't beat a single team with a winning record. And now this year's edition- less talented and a head-case- doesn't seem like any improvement to me. Oh, and last year this team believed in Rex Ryan through Week 13. When we open 2-5 and in a hopeless situation, that's when we pay the price for keeping him an extra year.

Great teams know when to make changes, and this team needs them badly. We need an experienced head coach, not a rookie. We need a disciplinarian, not a players-coach. We need someone adept in all phases of the game, not a glorified defensive coordinator. [B]Most of all, we need someone this group of players can believe in, and that's not Rex Ryan.[/B]

SAR I[/QUOTE]

This is an EFFING JOKE!
    * If you go by this nonsense than the Eagles should have fired Andy Reid last year. Maybe the Jets played over their head a little in 2010?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetster;4492405]This is an EFFING JOKE!
    * If you go by this nonsense than the Eagles should have fired Andy Reid last year. Maybe the Jets played over their head a little in 2010?[/QUOTE]

It's clear he's just got a hard on for Rex. How anybody could take this guy seriously is beyond me

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetster;4491542]I love what I'm hearing, reading, seeing (Jets official site) about this team.
    It seems the theme is lean, mean & fast!
    Wilson in his 3rd year
    Mo Wilkerson with an entire camp strength & conditioning
    Ellis
    Coples
    Davis
    Bell will be a HUGE addition (guy has a nose for the ball) & playing with Revis & an amped up Dline will help even more.

On offense, Sparano is emphasizing the two things that killed this team last year, turnovers & horrible tempo. If he can get Sanchez completion % just a little bit better, so we can convert more 3rd downs, the defense will benefit the most.

Also, although I'm not a Tebow fan when it comes to playing QB, he is gonna be a massive challenge to a tired defense. 250Lbs running up behind the best center in the league! That will be very hard to stop on short yardage, adding to our 3rd down conversions, again helping out the D.

I love these coaches, Rex- Sparano- Westhoff- Dunbar- Sanjay, that is one hell of a staff!
    This team will be like night & day to 2011, you can just feel it. I'm telling you, the Steelers will have 2 rooks on that Oline & this Jet teams speed is way better than in 2010. Those Rooks might be good but no rookie is ready for a Rex led defense with added speed.
    If I were a Steeler fan, this would not be a matchup I'm looking for. Hell, maybe Wallace will hold out for a couple of games,lol.
    Jets match up well with the Bills.
    The early season doesn't scare me at all. Can't wait to see Alex Smith trying to throw at Revis. Jets stop the run that day, Alex might not survive.
    It's time we had some optimism in this forum.[/QUOTE]

Defense will carry this team...Year 2000 Baltimore Ravens?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4492213][IMG]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n114/srubenst/40oz_laugh_in_tub.gif[/IMG]

SAR I[/QUOTE]

That's racist.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetster;4491542]I love what I'm hearing, reading, seeing (Jets official site) about this team.
    It seems the theme is lean, mean & fast!
    Wilson in his 3rd year
    Mo Wilkerson with an entire camp strength & conditioning
    Ellis
    Coples
    Davis
    Bell will be a HUGE addition (guy has a nose for the ball) & playing with Revis & an amped up Dline will help even more.

On offense, Sparano is emphasizing the two things that killed this team last year, turnovers & horrible tempo. If he can get Sanchez completion % just a little bit better, so we can convert more 3rd downs, the defense will benefit the most

Also, although I'm not a Tebow fan when it comes to playing QB, he is gonna be a massive challenge to a tired defense. 250Lbs running up behind the best center in the league! That will be very hard to stop on short yardage, adding to our 3rd down conversions, again helping out the D.

I love these coaches, Rex- Sparano- Westhoff- Dunbar- Sanjay, that is one hell of a staff!
    This team will be like night & day to 2011, you can just feel it. I'm telling you, the Steelers will have 2 rooks on that Oline & this Jet teams speed is way better than in 2010. Those Rooks might be good but no rookie is ready for a Rex led defense with added speed.
    If I were a Steeler fan, this would not be a matchup I'm looking for. Hell, maybe Wallace will hold out for a couple of games,lol.
    Jets match up well with the Bills.
    The early season doesn't scare me at all. Can't wait to see Alex Smith trying to throw at Revis. Jets stop the run that day, Alex might not survive.
    It's time we had some optimism in this forum.[/QUOTE]

No! not me, I am learning how not to get excited at Jet ball, or maybe I am just tired of 43 fruitless years of nothing but failure, and sky high ticket increase. The LA Kings won the Stanley Cup after 45 years.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    this is my 29th yr rooting for the jets. every offseason i would get all pumped up for the new season. im just so sick of all the losing over the yrs and out stadium partner winning 4 of 5 SB's since 1986. i now believe in the namath curse, he sold his soul to to the devil. until rex, tanny and johnson are gone, this franchise is winning nothing

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4492227]No, the "schtick" is thinking this team can be good. Open your eyes. Same team as last year, [B]tougher schedule[/B], weaker head coach.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Our schedule is easier, by a large margin.

And Vegas will have us 3-4, not 2-5. We will definitely be favored against the Bills Week 1, which is the game I'm guessing you're wrong on.

And frankly, we have a great chance to upset a few teams on the way. I'll take my chances at home at 1pm against the 49ers. Steelers aren't the team they used to be. The only "we'll definitely lose" game in the first half of the season is @ New England.
    Last edited by Austin; 06-15-2012 at 02:03 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bigdanNJ;4492713]this is my 29th yr rooting for the jets. every offseason i would get all pumped up for the new season. im just so sick of all the losing over the yrs and out stadium partner winning 4 of 5 SB's since 1986. i now believe in the namath curse, he sold his soul to to the devil. until rex, tanny and johnson are gone, this franchise is winning nothing[/QUOTE]

So please just GTFOH, and root for them. We'd love you to.

Meanwhile, I'll enjoy my Jets team just fine... I have for 35 years, and hopefully anther 35....
    Last edited by Yankeejet22; 06-15-2012 at 02:55 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can't wait to this defense in action. I have my suspicions about the offense.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetsfan920;4492789]Can't wait to this defense in action. I have my suspicions about the offense.[/QUOTE]

I'm nowhere near as confident in our offensive ability as I am our defense, which isn't much of a shocker, but I am anxious to see our offense take the field. One aspect that I'm most looking forward to seeing on offense, is the amount of speed we finally feature. It's been a long time coming since we've seen an offense with not only speed, but also playmakers to go along with it.

We've replaced an aging 34 year old WR opposite of Holmes with a 21 year old kid who's a 6'5, 215 pound wide out, and one whom also runs a 4.30 flat in Stephen Hill. He's now our #2 wide out opposite of Santonio.

We've replaced an aging 33 year old Tomlinson, an L.T who's been used up with NFL mileage over the years. As our #2 RB, he only put up 280 rushing yards, an average of only 3.7 yards per carry to go along with only 1 rushing TD last season. We replaced him with a dynamic athlete in Joe McKnight.

Last year we headed into the season with a washed up Mason as our slot receiver. That's not the case heading into 2012. We know who our slot WR is, his name is Jeremy Kerley. Kid put up 29 receptions, 314 yards and 1 TD during only 10 games as a rookie coming out of the slot. He's a very quick, shifty type of slot WR. Built for the slot.

We all know that Shonn Greene is our workload back, but you put McKnight in the backfield, both Holmes and Hill on the outside, Kerley in the slot and Keller controlling the middle of the field? That's a whole lot of speed.

We have playmakers at every position. Tebow isn't our quarterback, but he's a bonafide playmaker when lined up under Center. Holmes is a playmaker who brings his tool box to work during big time games. Keller is a pass catching playmaking TE who can cause matchup problems for just about any defense out there. Hill has the potential to become something electric as a rookie. Kerley can playmake coming out of the slot and last but not least, Joe McKnight can be lined up all over the football field with top of the line speed. He didn't rank as the NFL's #1 kick returner last year for nothing. Kid has home-run ability.

When running the wildcat under coach Sparano, having Tebow under Center as a threat to both run and pass, Shonn Greene as our Ricky Williams lined up on one side, with either McKnight/Kerley running in motion pre-snap.... The sky is the limit for this Jets offensive attack. The league had a tough time stopping Sparano's wildcat formation down in Miami? Wait until they see Sparano's Jets version of the Wildcat with Tebow as the center piece. The Broncos JUST started running the Wildcat last season, and Tebow had much success while doing so. Denver's offense had no experience running that formation, the Jets do (Brad Smith). Our offensive line is 10x the offensive line that Tebow had in Denver. Our offensive coordinator is 10x the Wildcat genius when compared to Denver's OC. It's a match made in heaven for Sparano, Tebow and the Jets offense. Tebow rushing behind a great run blocking Center in Nick Mangold? Good luck stopping our ground game.
    Last edited by NY2FLDWC85; 06-16-2012 at 05:22 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ive been a jets fan long enough to know when to be excited. And I am, but not for wins.

I just cant wait to see this train wreck come out of that tunnel. This will be a season to remember.