Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 111

Thread: Stephen Hill

  1. #81
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    898
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    I agree 100 percent. Sparano is the biggest single factor for the Jets this year.
    I never knew an offensive coordinator was the biggest single factor when you have aspects such as head coaching, starting quarterback, offensive line, defensive unit etc, etc. Will Sparano be an upgrade for our offense? Obviously. Is he the "biggest single factor for the Jets"; not a chance.

  2. #82
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    50,258
    Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post
    I never knew an offensive coordinator was the biggest single factor when you have aspects such as head coaching, starting quarterback, offensive line, defensive unit etc, etc. Will Sparano be an upgrade for our offense? Obviously. Is he the "biggest single factor for the Jets"; not a chance.
    I believe Shotty held this team back. Way back.

    Rex, the D and Sanchez are already in place.

    In my opinion, Sprano could be the difference maker

  3. #83
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    13,725
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    I believe Shotty held this team back. Way back.

    Rex, the D and Sanchez are already in place.

    In my opinion, Sprano could be the difference maker
    When you have a coach who actually designs an offense around the strengths of their team, you should see a difference. One would think its common sense, but we all saw last year that it is not always evident to all coaches.

  4. #84
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    50,258
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    When you have a coach who actually designs an offense around the strengths of their team, you should see a difference. One would think its common sense, but we all saw last year that it is not always evident to all coaches.
    This guy gets it.

  5. #85
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    8,072
    Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post
    I never knew an offensive coordinator was the biggest single factor when you have aspects such as head coaching, starting quarterback, offensive line, defensive unit etc, etc. Will Sparano be an upgrade for our offense? Obviously. Is he the "biggest single factor for the Jets"; not a chance.
    Well you learn something new everyday...well you should. The OC is not the single most important factor. He's the 2nd, after the HC, and the most important on offense. A great OC cannot make a bad team good, but a bad one can sure make a good team bad. I know you don't like to be wrong, but it's time to let go.

  6. #86
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    13,725
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Well you learn something new everyday...well you should. The OC is not the single most important factor. He's the 2nd, after the HC, and the most important on offense. A great OC cannot make a bad team good, but a bad one can sure make a good team bad. I know you don't like to be wrong, but it's time to let go.
    A head coach and OC on the same page and a capable QB are the two most important things when designing an offense. Its hard to make up for a shortcoming in either.

  7. #87
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    898
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Well you learn something new everyday...well you should. The OC is not the single most important factor. He's the 2nd, after the HC, and the most important on offense. A great OC cannot make a bad team good, but a bad one can sure make a good team bad. I know you don't like to be wrong, but it's time to let go.
    I agree with Sec.101, a head coach, QB and a capable OC is what's needed in order to run a crisp offense, but to sit here and say that an OC is more important to an offenses success, when compared to an offensive line or more importantly... a QB? That's nonsense. Without an offensive line, your QB gets murdered, you're WR's don't have enough time to run routes and/or get open, and your HB's have no chance of gaining productive yards (unless your Barry Sanders).

    Are you trying to say that OC's are more important when compared to the likes of Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Cam Newton, Ben Roethlisberger, Philip Rives etc, etc. I'll agree to disagree. Is an offensive coordinator extremely important? Without question. He must have a strong ability to not only prepare for the up coming game, execute his game plan on Sundays but also find ways to adjust to opposing defenses/situations on the fly. Must be a strong situational play caller. But it's up to the QB and offensive line to execute the play(s).

    I agree, that Shotty Jr held our offense back. Was a very poor situational play caller, but I don't believe for 1 second that an offensive coordinator can be successful without a QB to lead the offense along with an offensive line for both pass and run plays.

  8. #88
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    7,078
    Hill is one of the "Planet Theory" guys... there are very few people on earth who have his combination of size and speed.

    In the recent history of the NFL, guys with his triangle numbers generally have success in the league.

    After just a couple days of camp, he's shown signs of what the FO was looking for. He can beat defenses deep and make tough catches. And he can block.

    I expect him to have a good year. Not a 1,200 yard, 12 TD year... but I think 700 and 7 is possible.

    He will take time to fully mature as a player, but there is no limit on what he's capable of.

    I haven't been this excited about a Jets draft pick in a long time.

  9. #89
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    13,725
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Hill is one of the "Planet Theory" guys... there are very few people on earth who have his combination of size and speed.

    In the recent history of the NFL, guys with his triangle numbers generally have success in the league.

    After just a couple days of camp, he's shown signs of what the FO was looking for. He can beat defenses deep and make tough catches. And he can block.

    I expect him to have a good year. Not a 1,200 yard, 12 TD year... but I think 700 and 7 is possible.

    He will take time to fully mature as a player, but there is no limit on what he's capable of.

    I haven't been this excited about a Jets draft pick in a long time.
    I am with you on that. I am generally not the most optimistic person in regards to rookies, I usually take a wait and see approach. For some reason I just have a feeling this kid is going to turn out to be pretty good, and a difference maker for the Jets. I have been saying for over a year now that Sanchez needs a go to number one caliber WR to develop with, I think he has that in Hill.

  10. #90
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    50,258
    Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post
    I agree with Sec.101, a head coach, QB and a capable OC is what's needed in order to run a crisp offense, but to sit here and say that an OC is more important to an offenses success, when compared to an offensive line or more importantly... a QB? That's nonsense. Without an offensive line, your QB gets murdered, you're WR's don't have enough time to run routes and/or get open, and your HB's have no chance of gaining productive yards (unless your Barry Sanders).

    Are you trying to say that OC's are more important when compared to the likes of Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Cam Newton, Ben Roethlisberger, Philip Rives etc, etc. I'll agree to disagree. Is an offensive coordinator extremely important? Without question. He must have a strong ability to not only prepare for the up coming game, execute his game plan on Sundays but also find ways to adjust to opposing defenses/situations on the fly. Must be a strong situational play caller. But it's up to the QB and offensive line to execute the play(s).

    I agree, that Shotty Jr held our offense back. Was a very poor situational play caller, but I don't believe for 1 second that an offensive coordinator can be successful without a QB to lead the offense along with an offensive line for both pass and run plays.
    The point is, the biggest change from last year for the Jets is Sparano.

    Sanchez may improve 10 percent, the line may be better or worse by a margin, the D should once again be Top 5 but Sparano will have the biggest impact.

  11. #91
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    13,725
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    The point is, the biggest change from last year for the Jets is Sparano.

    Sanchez may improve 10 percent, the line may be better or worse by a margin, the D should once again be Top 5 but Sparano will have the biggest impact.
    True. The BIGGEST difference between last year and this year is going to be an entirely new offense. Other than a couple personnel moves, this is the same cast of characters on offense as last year. Its not to say that if guys play better that, that wont contribute, but the BIGGEST difference is Sparano.

  12. #92
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    8,927
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    I believe Shotty held this team back. Way back.

    Rex, the D and Sanchez are already in place.

    In my opinion, Sprano could be the difference maker
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    When you have a coach who actually designs an offense around the strengths of their team, you should see a difference. One would think its common sense, but we all saw last year that it is not always evident to all coaches.
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    The point is, the biggest change from last year for the Jets is Sparano.

    Sanchez may improve 10 percent, the line may be better or worse by a margin, the D should once again be Top 5 but Sparano will have the biggest impact.
    Please stop making sense, it's hurting my brain.

  13. #93
    Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post
    I agree with Sec.101, a head coach, QB and a capable OC is what's needed in order to run a crisp offense, but to sit here and say that an OC is more important to an offenses success, when compared to an offensive line or more importantly... a QB? That's nonsense. Without an offensive line, your QB gets murdered, you're WR's don't have enough time to run routes and/or get open, and your HB's have no chance of gaining productive yards (unless your Barry Sanders).

    Are you trying to say that OC's are more important when compared to the likes of Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Cam Newton, Ben Roethlisberger, Philip Rives etc, etc. I'll agree to disagree. Is an offensive coordinator extremely important? Without question. He must have a strong ability to not only prepare for the up coming game, execute his game plan on Sundays but also find ways to adjust to opposing defenses/situations on the fly. Must be a strong situational play caller. But it's up to the QB and offensive line to execute the play(s).

    I agree, that Shotty Jr held our offense back. Was a very poor situational play caller, but I don't believe for 1 second that an offensive coordinator can be successful without a QB to lead the offense along with an offensive line for both pass and run plays.

    Will you be in Miami for the Jets/Dolphin game in September? I'd like for you to buy me a beer. Thanking you in advance.

  14. #94
    I too get this gut feeling about about Hill. Too bad Henry Ellard is gone.

  15. #95
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    898
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
    Will you be in Miami for the Jets/Dolphin game in September? I'd like for you to buy me a beer. Thanking you in advance.
    Anytime. You had yourself a beautiful baby girl too. Congrats.

  16. #96
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ (Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Posts
    36,570
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    I'm on record as liking the pick, I just disagree with the over-the-top enthusiasm. He made need a season or two to acclimate to the new way he will be asked to play.
    Those are words.

    You're good at typing them.

    I can't believe people continue to go back and forth with you about....nothing.

    lol

  17. #97
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,343
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    I still think Sparano is making the biggest difference out there. Giving the offense motivation, a personality that can compete with Rex. They're feeling that they belong out there with the D. Practicing with an urgency. That will help the defense with their conditioning as well, I'll bet. Come game time things will slow down for them. I know you guys don't want to think so, but tempo matters.
    This is a quiet truth that is becoming quietly apparent over time.

    Yes players, play, that is you definitely need players to play well but coaching matters and one of the key things I have noted from the camp reports so far is Sanchez's confidence. He seems as Rex stated yesterday "in command".

    One has to ask how many times did Rex ever say that about Sanchez in practice or a game for that matter.

    I am not here to knock Schotty, he is gone end of the deal but there is no question that his "coaching" seemed to sap Sanchez of his confidence rather then properly build him up.

    IMO the truth is if coach Sparano just helps to restore Sanchez's confidence come game days he will have done a tremendous job at boosting the Jet's chances to win on Sundays.

  18. #98
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    The point is, the biggest change from last year for the Jets is Sparano.

    Sanchez may improve 10 percent, the line may be better or worse by a margin, the D should once again be Top 5 but Sparano will have the biggest impact.

    Trying to be objective here. What exactly has Sporano ever accomplished?
    He can come across anyway you like, but performance is what?
    He may be good. Or he may not. Reserve judgement.
    Folks here thought Sanchez would be the next Montana and Shonn Greene the next John Riggins.
    Hill is from a running program. Has physical tools but raw.

  19. #99
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    50,258
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    Trying to be objective here. What exactly has Sporano ever accomplished?
    He can come across anyway you like, but performance is what?
    He may be good. Or he may not. Reserve judgement.
    Folks here thought Sanchez would be the next Montana and Shonn Greene the next John Riggins.
    Hill is from a running program. Has physical tools but raw.
    Agree with everything you have said here.

  20. #100
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    True. The BIGGEST difference between last year and this year is going to be an entirely new offense. Other than a couple personnel moves, this is the same cast of characters on offense as last year. Its not to say that if guys play better that, that wont contribute, but the BIGGEST difference is Sparano.
    You know what the clearest and easiest argument is that Sparano is the biggest offseason acquisition.....ask Green Bay and New Orleans.

    They both had HCs that focused strictly on offense.....GB even lost a playoff game where they scored 40+ points. Both teams didn't reach their full potential until their excellent offensive HCs went out and found excellent DCs in Capers and Gregg Williams.

    Im not sure how sparano is with calling a game and his OC resume is short, but make no mistake that Rex bringing in someone with discipline and accountability, as well as a change to the worst offensive scheme in the league, is a HUGE change for 2012 that could easily make the difference between 8-8 and a 13-3/playoff success.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us