Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen Hill

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    I don't need to read stats.....I saw enough of him in college to know that he is a difference maker and will be one for the Jets in 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post
    Is it just me, or is it hard not to become anxious when thinking about this kid's overall skill-set? I understand that 40 times are often overrated, especially for WR's when route running is so important, but a 21 year old kid who the Jets have listed as being 6'5/215 in which runs a 4.3? His combine numbers were off the charts. Ranked 2nd in the 40, 5th with a 39.5' vertical and 1st with an 11'1 broad jump.

A blazing fast, 6'5 wide out, with top of the line leaping/jumping ability? I pray this kid develops into our first true #1 WR since Keyshawn Johnson. Could end up doing wonder for Sanchez' career/future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqj9E6qcK24

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9QIm...eature=related

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    I don't need to read stats.....I saw enough of him in college to know that he is a difference maker and will be one for the Jets in 2012.
    I never really had a chance to follow Hill during his college years, although I have watched two full games of his since being drafted as well as countless amount of highlights. I've heard from draft experts that he's a solid run blocker, but I for some reason can't seem to get a feel for his run blocking ability when watching him on youtube. What type of run blocking WR do you feel he can develop into, and how would you rate his run blocking ability as of right now coming out of college? I bring this up, because losing Braylon Edward's run blocking really hurt our offense as a whole last year.

All League
    Dwc and Tx in the same thread, all is right once again in the JI universe.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    <insert predictable Sanchez bash> turn Hill into an all-pro with the measurables that he possesses!

Banned
    And, it hasn't taken Stephen Hill long before making an impact (Training Camp impact). Read below...

"Sanchez's unit set the tone early with a deep 40-yard strike to rookie Stephen Hill on the first play of 11-on-11s. All-Pro cornerback Darrelle Revis tipped the ball, but Hill made an impressive grab.

"Awesome, right out of the gate, too," Sanchez said. "'Reve' made a great play to tip it, and Stephen stayed with it. Another great play, something fun, something all of us can kind of rally around."

Going up against Revis on a daily basis will improve Hill's overall development/progress. He's going up against the best. Kid could be on the verge of becoming something special in the making. All I know is, his physical talents and/or athletic ability are through the roof. A 6'4 WR who's not only physical in regards to run blocking ability, but also blazing fast; 4.3 type of speed? Exactly what we've needed opposite of Santonio Holmes. Top of the line jumping/leaping ability etc, etc. Hill has the potential to not only become a true deep threat (led the nation in average yards per reception) but also a true red zone monster. 6'4, physical, amazing jumping/leaping ability? Red Zone target. Enjoying this draft pick by the day.

Banned

I never really had a chance to follow Hill during his college years, although I have watched two full games of his since being drafted as well as countless amount of highlights. I've heard from draft experts that he's a solid run blocker, but I for some reason can't seem to get a feel for his run blocking ability when watching him on youtube. What type of run blocking WR do you feel he can develop into, and how would you rate his run blocking ability as of right now coming out of college? I bring this up, because losing Braylon Edward's run blocking really hurt our offense as a whole last year.
    Losing Bray and to a certain extent even Hartsock hurt our run blocking.

I'm not expecting huge numbers right away from Hill but if he can at least block occasionally and give us some downfield threat that would be great.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Man....Hill against Revis for a few months??? I think Stephen will be well-prepared for the NFL come September. To be the best, you've got to practice against the best.

He's off to a good start.

Guarded (contained) optimism (enthusiasm) over here!

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Man....Hill against Revis for a few months??? I think Stephen will be well-prepared for the NFL come September. To be the best, you've got to practice against the best.

I think this will be HUGE for Hill. Who in the AFC East is even close to Revis skill level at corner?
    I honestly believe that Hill will be a BREAKOUT rookie. You can't teach size, strength, arm length & speed & he's got it all. I'm seeing Sanchez catching defenses off guard when Hill gets single coverage. In todays NFL, he's bound to get some holding & interference calls.

This kid is going to be the steal of the draft. I have heard NOTHING, but good things so far.

Hill is mosly a deep threat and will be wasted once Tebow starts for the Jets.

I watched a lot of Georgia Tech games. He ran a very basic routes. Outside of catching jump balls, he struggles to read coverages and find holes in a zone.

To me he looks uncomfortable with the ball in his hands and looks like track star on the field instead of a football player.

also he dropped as many big balls as he made big plays. To me, he's a
    a player who is capable of making an occasional big play but isn't reliable.

Just my 2 cents.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post

I watched a lot of Georgia Tech games. He ran a very basic routes. Outside of catching jump balls, he struggles to read coverages and find holes in a zone.

To me he looks uncomfortable with the ball in his hands and looks like track star on the field instead of a football player.

Just my 2 cents.
    Well the camp reports seem to be telling a different story.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post

He'll never be covered as well in his NFL career as he will in practice.

Huge.

Just my 2 cents.

Hill will have no Problem making Plays over Mccourty and Arrington my 2 Cents

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Listen, who knows what the future holds, I'm just reporting what I saw.

I urge my Jets friends to temper their expectations thus avoiding disappointment at a future date.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    lol, exactly. Kid also has very strong hands. It seems as if FF2 is saying he ran basic routes as a 'knock on his ability as a wide receiver', when in all actual reality... He was being forced to run routes called by the offensive coordinator. He was great at what was called. He was used as a vertical deep weapon, he just so happened to excel at his role, and ended up leading the Nation/Country in average yards per reception. But to act as if all this kid can do, is "run deep" is extremely clueless. Now that he's working with an NFL coaching staff, we'll see his true talents come to light. He'll now have a chance to show his natural ability when running more pro-style routes. Going up against Revis, on a daily basis, is going to help his progression and/or overall development heading into his rookie season (and beyond). Kid is 6'4, top of the line speed, amazing jumping/leaping ability, great burst off the line, strong hands, very physical at the point of attack in regards to run blocking ability; was ranked as the 2nd strongest run blocker coming out of school and most importantly? Can stretch the field, forcing safety's to stay home, which can open up underneath routes for guys such as Holmes, Keller and even McKnight (coming out of the backfield). Kid is going to become our most productive rookie WR since Keyshawn Johnson.

Jets Insider VIP

Just my 2 cents.
    Wow. Reading this, I can't believe a team was stupid enough to waste a 2nd round pick on the kid.

Just goes to show. Some fat schlump sitting behind a desk in Massachussets knows more about scouting than NFL scouts do.

lol, exactly. Kid also has very strong hands. It seems as if FF2 is saying he ran basic routes as a 'knock on his ability as a wide receiver', when in all actual reality... He was being forced to run routes called by the offensive coordinator. He was great at what was called. He was used as a vertical deep weapon, he just so happened to excel at his role, and ended up leading the Nation/Country in average yards per reception. But to act as if all this kid can do, is "run deep" is extremely clueless. Now that he's working with an NFL coaching staff, we'll see his true talents come to light. He'll now have a chance to show his natural ability when running more pro-style routes.
    I'm glad you realize and agree that Hill has not yet run NFL routes and has a lot of learning to do.

He very well have the ability to do so, but to assume he can master it right away is a stretch.

I think you may be expecting too much too soon.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Wow. Reading this, I can't believe a team was stupid enough to waste a 2nd round pick on the kid.

Just goes to show. Some fat schlump sitting behind a desk in Massachussets knows more about scouting than NFL scouts do.

Now this is the Jorday that I know and remember; putting these argumentative trolls in their place.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post

I'm on record as liking the pick, I just disagree with the over-the-top enthusiasm. He made need a season or two to acclimate to the new way he will be asked to play.