Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen Hill

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Stephen Hill

Is it just me, or is it hard not to become anxious when thinking about this kid's overall skill-set? I understand that 40 times are often overrated, especially for WR's when route running is so important, but a 21 year old kid who the Jets have listed as being 6'5/215 in which runs a 4.3? His combine numbers were off the charts. Ranked 2nd in the 40, 5th with a 39.5' vertical and 1st with an 11'1 broad jump.

A blazing fast, 6'5 wide out, with top of the line leaping/jumping ability? I pray this kid develops into our first true #1 WR since Keyshawn Johnson. Could end up doing wonder for Sanchez' career/future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqj9E6qcK24

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9QIm...eature=related
    Last edited by NY2FLDWC85; 06-15-2012 at 11:52 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Despite a lot of ridicule on the guy, Braylon was a good #1 for the NYJ.

Had he played the way he did on another offense, he would have been a pro bowler in 2010. He opened up a lot for the Jets' offense, and was a good run blocking WR as well.

If Hill can come close to that this year, watch out.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Right now I just want to hear his hammy's OK. I'll take my blessings in baby steps . . .

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    Right now I just want to hear his hammy's OK. I'll take my blessings in baby steps . . .
    Hill and the rest of the wideout hammy brigade now have about 6 weeks with no organized team activities until they report on July 26 for the trip to Cortland. I'm not a doctor and don't even play one on TV but normal muscle injuries such as the tweaks that reduced their activities at the minicamp generally heal up nicely in six weeks (unless you happen to be Ruben Tejada or Ike Davis or Carlos Beltran of my New York Mets where tweaks and bruises somehow manage to keep you out of action for a full baseball season)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Despite a lot of ridicule on the guy, Braylon was a good #1 for the NYJ.

Had he played the way he did on another offense, he would have been a pro bowler in 2010. He opened up a lot for the Jets' offense, and was a good run blocking WR as well.

If Hill can come close to that this year, watch out.

We do not need Braylon and his bad pass routes. Countless times he ran the wrong route that caused turnovers and other mistakes. Braylon served his purpose here and his time has past. I am actually happy with the Jets WR's as long as Tone's head is on straight.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the removal of Schotty and the introduction of a fast/tall receiver (Hill) will GREATLY improve Sanchez's numbers and the ability of this offense to put points on the board.

I don't think people (outside of this board) understand how inhibiting Schotty was, and how slow our WR corp was last season.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't get too caught up on measurables. Guys like Matt Jones, David Terrell, and Charles Rogers all had size and speed. They also flat-out busted as NFL WRs.

I'm hopeful, and he looks like a great kid with great potential, but I guess I've been around too long to get too excited before the first live play when it counts.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    i am excited to see what he can do. he fits what we want to do on Offense. he can block and he has speed to stretch the defense to open up the runnin game. i think he will have a productive year (maybe not stats wise but impact)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    I wouldn't get too caught up on measurables. Guys like Matt Jones, David Terrell, and Charles Rogers all had size and speed. They also flat-out busted as NFL WRs.

I'm hopeful, and he looks like a great kid with great potential, but I guess I've been around too long to get too excited before the first live play when it counts.
    I'm cautious as well but the thing that sets Hill apart is his attitude and work ethic.

I think that puts him in a better position to succeed.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    I'm cautious as well but the thing that sets Hill apart is his attitude and work ethic.

I think that puts him in a better position to succeed.
    Attitude and work ethic are fine, but what is going to make Hill successful or not is his ability to transform his athletic skills to a NFL level.

I remember a few years ago I was also very high on a 2nd round WR with great athletic ability and talent.

Unfortunately, he was unable to utilize those skills at the NFL level.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Attitude and work ethic are fine, but what is going to make Hill successful or not is his ability to transform his athletic skills to a NFL level.

I remember a few years ago I was also very high on a 2nd round WR with great athletic ability and talent.

Unfortunately, he was unable to utilize those skills at the NFL level.

Big difference in the NFL for a WR in getting jammed at the line of scrimmage and reading defenses and getting on the same page as the QB.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Boynton Beach Jets View Post
    Big difference in the NFL for a WR in getting jammed at the line of scrimmage and reading defenses and getting on the same page as the QB.
    That's it in a nutshell, plus Hill is coming from a run-oriented program in college.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    One thing that worries me about Hill is that it seems like he has shrunk since the Combine. I know guys tend to "Combine up" and get into amazing shape. But if he is only 205 lbs now (215 at combine) then that is a little bit of a problem b.c he has a big frame and should be able to hold more weight. I expect him to be somewhere in the 225-230 lb range as he matures.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hill's skill set is amazing but he is as raw as they come. Its tough for any receiver to come out of college and make an impact the first year. Its even tougher for a guy who played in GT's offensive scheme. Hill has tons to learn regarding route running and how to be a good pro receiver. Hopefully he will dedicate himself and learn from the coaches and veterans.

I would not expect great numbers this year or next for that matter. As long as we see him developing, i will be happy

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Many threads opened on being excited about stephen hill the last few weeks. I think it is the speed that has everybody excited. The last guy we had on offense with this kind of speed was coles/moss.

You never know what to expect from these guys. Gholsten killed it at the combine but it didnt translate on the field.

We will find out about Hill soon enough.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    One thing that worries me about Hill is that it seems like he has shrunk since the Combine. I know guys tend to "Combine up" and get into amazing shape. But if he is only 205 lbs now (215 at combine) then that is a little bit of a problem b.c he has a big frame and should be able to hold more weight. I expect him to be somewhere in the 225-230 lb range as he matures.
    He's listed at 215 on the Jets website.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    Hill's skill set is amazing but he is as raw as they come. Its tough for any receiver to come out of college and make an impact the first year. Its even tougher for a guy who played in GT's offensive scheme.
    I understand where you're coming from, and what you're saying, but both Calvin Johnson and Demaryius Thomas also come from GT. Now, Calvin Johnson got drafted back in 2007, and played with more of a 'pass balanced' type of offense while with GT, but Demaryius Thomas comes from the same exact offense. Kid is a freak too. I just love this kids size, speed, quickness and leaping ability. He'll be able to stretch the field for Sanchez and our offense, and if he can improve his route running ability, and develop into a strong route runner? The sky is the limit for Hill and our offense.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    That's it in a nutshell, plus Hill is coming from a run-oriented program in college.
    Very few WR make an impact in their rookie season it will be tough on Hill to do so coming from G-Tech. Jerry Rice didn't even start right away. Hill has loads of talent but its going to be a process for him to take the next step.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post
    Is it just me, or is it hard not to become anxious when thinking about this kid's overall skill-set? I understand that 40 times are often overrated, especially for WR's when route running is so important, but a 21 year old kid who the Jets have listed as being 6'5/206 in which runs a 4.3? His combine numbers were off the charts. Ranked 2nd in the 40, 5th with a 39.5' vertical and 1st with an 11'1 broad jump.

A blazing fast, 6'5 wide out, with top of the line leaping/jumping ability? I pray this kid develops into our first true #1 WR since Keyshawn Johnson. Could end up doing wonder for Sanchez' career/future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqj9E6qcK24

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9QIm...eature=related
    If Sanchez ever improves his accuracy, he just might make Hill into an all-pro with the measurables that he possesses!