Thread: For the Clowney fans . . .

Veteran

For the Clowney fans . . .

[SIZE="5"]Clowney fell out of favor with Jets[/SIZE]

Published:June 15, 2012, 12:00 AM The Buffalo News

There might not be a player on the Buffalo Bills' 90-man roster who is more eager for the start of training camp or more appreciative of his chance to compete for a job than receiver David Clowney.

That's because Clowney was forced to live without the game all of last season, after being among the final preseason cuts by the Carolina Panthers.

"I love the game of football," Clowney said after practice this week. "Even to this day I say I don't understand how guys hold out. I'm a player. I love to play football. The money isn't a big deal to me. I just want to play football, at the end of the day that's all it's about to me, playing the game I love."

Clowney hopes to emerge from what promises to be a dogfight for roster spots at wide receiver position for Buffalo this summer.

Stevie Johnson is the top threat at split end. David Nelson is entrenched as the top inside receiver. Who will win the job at the outside flanker spot opposite Johnson?

It could be Donald Jones, who opened last season as the starter. It could be young Marcus Easley, the receiver with the best combination of size and speed on the team. It could be third-round draft choice T.J. Graham, the speedster from North Carolina State. It could be ex-Dolphin Derek Hagan or Clowney. Throw in Buffalo native Naaman Roosevelt, who catches everything thrown his way, along with incumbents Kamar Aiken and Ruvell Martin, and the Bills will have a tough time picking what likely will be six men to make the 53-man roster.

Clowney brings the element of deep speed the Bills need to create more space in the middle of the field for all their other weapons.

He ran a 40-yard dash time of 4.36 seconds when he came out of Virginia Tech in 2008. The 6-foot, 188-pounder said he just ran a time in the 4.3s a month ago.

"With 10 more pounds [than in 2008]," Clowney said.

Bills Wildcat quarterback Brad Smith, who played with Clowney on the New York Jets, says Clowney's speed is legitimate.

"He's always on as far as his speed goes," Smith said. "Some guys build up to it. His is from the first step to the 100th step -- it's always on that high gear. I think his ability to keep that speed up for a long period is a major attribute for him."

Clowney has not showed that blazing speed very much thus far in the NFL.

His career looked like it might be on the rise after 2009, when he averaged about 20 snaps a game for the Jets. He caught 14 passes for a 13.6-yard average. But the Jets rarely used three- and four-receiver sets, which limited his opportunities. Then the Jets opted to upgrade at receiver by acquiring Super Bowl most valuable player Santonio Holmes in a trade with Pittsburgh.

"Santonio is a good friend of mine," Clowney said. "I've known Santonio since the 10th grade ... we're both from Palm Beach County [in Florida]. When they brought him in, I kind of already knew what was going to happen."

Once Holmes came off a four-game suspension to start the season, Clowney was released. He was claimed by Carolina and saw limited duty the rest of the season for the Panthers. He failed to make the Panthers' squad to start the 2011 season. That started the long wait for an offer.

"To all of a sudden not be playing, that was kind of tough," he said. "I look at it like God makes everything happen for a reason. I had an opportunity to really spend time with my family. At the same time, every week I had a workout. I worked out for the Giants, the Titans. I was going here, I was going there."

Four days after the end of last season, on Jan. 5, the Clowney signed with the Bills after a workout in Orchard Park.

"As soon as I finished my workout, [general manager] Buddy Nix said, ‘We need you here,'" Clowney said. "I know sometimes you got guys who just talk. But he seemed really excited to bring me in. That made me feel good."

Coach Chan Gailey, of course, regularly uses three and four true wideouts on the field. Clowney is spending this spring getting comfortable with the offense. He says he's eager to play outside or inside in the slot. He likely will have to show something on special teams, too, to crack the roster.

"When training camp comes around I'll be very comfortable with all four positions," Clowney said.

The Bills held their ninth organized team activity workout Thursday on the grass field behind the fieldhouse. They work again today, then have three mandatory minicamp practices next week. All are the workouts are closed to the public.

Reading the article the title is confusing. I don't see how Clowney fell out of favor with the Jets, but it seems like Holmes cost us both Clowney and later Edwards.

Jets Insider VIP
    When will he tweet his herpes test results?

[QUOTE=hatnlvr;4493148]Reading the article the title is confusing. I don't see how Clowney fell out of favor with the Jets,[B] but it seems like Holmes cost us both Clowney and later Edwards.[/B][/QUOTE]

Oh man, what a horrible loss that was....a scrub WR and another one with 1 leg that wasn't wanted by anyone when he hit the market despite having a very solid year here. :rolleyes:

People really need to get over what Santonio did last year. The guy is an incredibly talented wide receiver who is better than both Edwards and Clowney, and despite what happened down in Miami the Jets made the right choice. With a guy opposite him who can actually be used outside of the red zone, I'm excited to see Tone rebound this year. :yes:

Practice Squad
    Nobody covers the Clown!

Well, say what you want about him, but if nothing else, he apparently has a big heart.

Just last weekend, he lead charity events here in his hometown of Delray Beach, Florida all weekend long. It's an annual thing the past 3 years.

[url]http://www.davidclowneyfoundation.com/events/[/url]

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Mogglez;4493154]Oh man, what a horrible loss that was....a scrub WR and another one with 1 leg that wasn't wanted by anyone when he hit the market despite having a very solid year here. :rolleyes:

People really need to get over what Santonio did last year. The guy is an incredibly talented wide receiver who is better than both Edwards and Clowney, and despite what happened down in Miami the Jets made the right choice. With a guy opposite him who can actually be used outside of the red zone, I'm excited to see Tone rebound this year. :yes:[/QUOTE]

+ a billion

minus a one legged strip club brawler and Mr August

plus one of the best wideouts in the NFL, now fortified by Stephen Hill, Jeremy Kerley, Chaz Schillens and other quality

addition by subtraction

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Mogglez;4493154]Oh man, what a horrible loss that was....a scrub WR and another one with 1 leg that wasn't wanted by anyone when he hit the market despite having a very solid year here. :rolleyes:

People really need to get over what Santonio did last year. [B] The guy is an incredibly talented wide receiver [/B]who is better than both Edwards and Clowney, and despite what happened down in Miami the Jets made the right choice. With a guy opposite him who can actually be used outside of the red zone, I'm excited to see Tone rebound this year. :yes:[/QUOTE]

Don't know about that. He's good, not anywhere near "incredibly talented". I would use that phrase for Fitz, Megatron, Andre Johnson, even Steve Smith. Holmes has made some enormously clutch plays in his career, no question. But in two years with the Jets we've also seen him have some disappointing drops on easy catches and some killer fumbles.

Jets Insider VIP
    2010- sealed the victories in Detroit and in Cleveland among others with long game winning catches in OT and in early 2011 sealed the playoff victory on the road in Sucksboro against the Cheating Douches with a spectacular diving grab

2011- like the entire rest of the NYJ team he had a lesser year, agreed

tell us about David Clowney's game winning regular season or post season plays?

If the Jets implode this year I'm rooting for the Bills. I just can't help but like those suburban Orchard Park sumbiches.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Gangrene;4492403] "Even to this day I say I don't understand how guys hold out. I'm a player. I love to play football. The money isn't a big deal to me. I just want to play football, at the end of the day that's all it's about to me, playing the game I love."[/QUOTE]

... the anti-revis ...

[QUOTE]He ran a 40-yard dash time of 4.36 seconds when he came out of Virginia Tech in 2008. The 6-foot, 188-pounder said he just ran a time in the 4.3s a month ago.

"With 10 more pounds [than in 2008]," Clowney said[/QUOTE]

... where's our resident raiders fan? ...

[QUOTE] He likely will have to show something on special teams, too, to crack the roster[/QUOTE]

... wish him well & hope he makes the team & has a productive season ... as long as they lose their 2 against us & go 6-10 in the division :D:cool: ...

l_j_r

Veteran
    [QUOTE=CharlieDelray;4493200]Nobody covers the Clown!

Well, say what you want about him, but if nothing else, he apparently has a big heart.

Just last weekend, he lead charity events here in his hometown of Delray Beach, Florida all weekend long. It's an annual thing the past 3 years.

[url]http://www.davidclowneyfoundation.com/events/[/url][/QUOTE]

That charity work is impressive - I hope it works out for him in Buffalo.