Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: When You Can't Pass Something, Just Do it Anyway: The Dream Act

Obama's a scumbag.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=acepepe;4493221]That's the problem, The Democrats always bring out the shining example " Juan" has work two jobs while maintaining a 4.0 and has dreams of medical school so he can find a cure for his cancer ridden mother." Or "Maria", The 20 year old girl with the large inquisitive eyes, whom, as a 4 year old was brought to this county and speaks not a word of Spanish (witch is curious as her parents speak not a word of English)Is now in U.T law school on grants and in state tuition, she want to be an International Attorney, so she can help restore the native lands of her people to it's rightful owners.

They don't show you, "Jose" a 18 year old gang banger with no arrests other than some juvie sht. But, is still a "student".
    Or "Consuela" Who is a 26 year old with 3 kids on WIC, foods tamps, AFDC, and lives in public housing, but is working on her GED!!!

Guess witch one there are more of? by about 85%[/QUOTE]

We're on the same side on this issue Ace but 2 things. First, how in the hell is Maria in law school without being able to speak a word of English.

More importantly, it's "which". Witch is the creepy chick from the Wizard of Oz.

[QUOTE=brady's a catcher;4493227]We're on the same side on this issue Ace but 2 things. First, how in the hell is Maria in law school without being able to speak a word of English.

More importantly, it's "which". Witch is the creepy chick from the Wizard of Oz.[/QUOTE]

Re read. That's the example the left gives. SHE speaks not a a word of Spanish , her parent speak no English.

I did it twice on the WITCH.. First ex-wife must be on my mind.
    Last edited by acepepe; 06-16-2012 at 09:30 AM.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=acepepe;4493229]Re read. That's the example the left gives. SHE speaks not a a word of Spanish , her parent speak no English.

I did it twice on the WITCH.. First ex-wife must be on my mind.[/QUOTE]

I'm divorced and re-married also, know what you mean! Speaks, not a word of Spanish, my bad. Reading is fundamental.

My wife and I are thinking of places to re-locate to raise kids and she tried talking me into Houston, where she's from and I lol'd.

[QUOTE=brady's a catcher;4493232]I'm divorced and re-married also, know what you mean! Speaks, not a word of Spanish, my bad. Reading is fundamental.

My wife and I are thinking of places to re-locate to raise kids and she tried talking me into Houston, where she's from and I lol'd.[/QUOTE]

The woodlands 35 mi. north of Houston, One of the nicest community's in America. Jobs, safe and great schools.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=acepepe;4493238]The woodlands 35 mi. north of Houston, One of the nicest community's in America. Jobs, safe and great schools.[/QUOTE]

Not to derail the thread, but do you know, roughly, the home prices? Thoughts on Austin?

Guess I am derailing the thread. Supports my theory that Jets' fans are d-bags.

[QUOTE=brady's a catcher;4493242]Not to derail the thread, but do you know, roughly, the home prices? Thoughts on Austin?

Guess I am derailing the thread. Supports my theory that Jets' fans are d-bags.[/QUOTE]

200 range and you're in a real nice 4 bdr with a pool. a little higher in Austin. Austin is one of the coolest places to live in the U.S. and it's a lot more scenic than the Houston area. Economy is doing well in both city's, Thanks Barack!

[QUOTE=cr726;4493215]Your labor force.[/QUOTE]

These jobs should be prerequisites for collecting unemployment, plain and simple.

The employer wouldn't have to pay a cent -- they would just have to make the offer of employment. I don't own a business, but I don't see why an owner would choose to pay "pennies" for illegal workers when they could get legal ones for free.

Hypothetically the citizen could use the length of his unemployment term to either look for a better job, or "prove" himself to his current boss in the hopes of getting a "real job" (depending on the business).

I'm sure it's not as easy as it sounds, but it would seem to solve the "hiring workers illegally" problem, as well as give the unemployed more incentive to find a job (or at least lessen the feeling of uselessness while looking for one) . . .

[QUOTE=acepepe;4493238]The woodlands 35 mi. north of Houston, One of the nicest community's in America. Jobs, safe and great schools.[/QUOTE]

So you mean no people of color to scare you AMIRITE?

[QUOTE=FF2®;4493284]So you mean no people of color to scare you AMIRITE?[/QUOTE]

To be quite honest, there's not a whole hell of a lot that scares me. But, if you're implying that 'people of color" are more apt to commit crime in the Houston area, You'd be right. One just needs to watch the new @ 5 to draw that conclusion. Unless of course, all the liberal reporters are closet racist and show the "people of color" at a 90% rate over whites to give the illusion of one sided crime stats.

True story! This morning at about 6:45 in my white bread hoood I hear someone talking very loud coming down the street(very unusual) I look out and as it gets closer it's a black woman in shorts, a UT tee shirt and a Dashiki rag on her head yelling into her cell phone,went up the street and 10 minutes later came back still screaming in to the phone. "i tolt that ma faa, blaa blaa!
    Gods Honest truth! Stereo types be damned!!!!

[QUOTE=acepepe;4492900]You all need to read the "dream" act bill, It excludes no one and most is based on the word of the applicant. Chain migration? no problema. There are 10 mile by 10 mile square areas of Houston that not a word of English is spoken and they look at Americans with disdain, have no interest in being American or wanting to assimilate. The ones they parade out are a aberration.[/QUOTE]

Same down here in Sfla with the Cubans in Miami.Don't speak English have no interest in speaking English.

What is a little different down here is there are a lot of South Americans,who for the most part speak English,and really don't care for the Cubans.

That's why Rubio is not a magic bullet for Romney.

I am sick and tired of hearing about the children of illegal immigrants. The time has come to think about our children and their needs. Our families come first not everyone else. I am very passionate about our country always have and always will be. Happy Fathers Day to all of you daddies out there.

All League
    This is not the full DREAM act as their is no path to citizenship. This is essentially a change in Law Enforcement, i.e. we will not deport people who fall under this category.

[QUOTE]Under the administration's new plan, undocumented immigrants will be immune from deportation if they are under 30 and brought to the U.S. before they turned 16; have been in the country for at least five continuous years; have no criminal history; have graduated from a U.S. high school or earned a GED; or who have served in the military. They also can apply for a work permit that will be good for two years with no limits on how many times it can be renewed.[/QUOTE]

Those of you that are upset, what do you want to on immigration?

All Pro
    [QUOTE=SafetyBlitz;4493355]This is not the full DREAM act as their is no path to citizenship. This is essentially a change in Law Enforcement, i.e. we will not deport people who fall under this category.

Those of you that are upset, what do you want to on immigration?[/QUOTE]

1. Bring home troops from overseas and put them on our borders.

2. Go after businesses that hire illegals )will never happen)

3. Deport, Deport, Deport.

All League
    [QUOTE=brady's a catcher;4493360]1. Bring home troops from overseas and put them on our borders.

2. Go after businesses that hire illegals )will never happen)

3. Deport, Deport, Deport.[/QUOTE]

#'s 2 and 3 are terrible for the economy and massively expensive to carry out.

Can we be more realistic?

All Pro
    [QUOTE=acepepe;4493246][B]200 range and you're in a real nice 4 bdr with a pool.[/B] a little higher in Austin. Austin is one of the coolest places to live in the U.S. and it's a lot more scenic than the Houston area. Economy is doing well in both city's, Thanks Barack![/QUOTE]

Just a bit different than DC, lol. We're heading to Houston to see the inlaws in July and spending a day in Austin to check it out. I feel that after working in Dc for years we'll be able to get some type of decent employment. Our biggest concern is schools. I know Austin is very liberal, but also great for music and the arts, lots of companies based there thanks to Cali being so biz unfriendly.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=SafetyBlitz;4493363]#'s 2 and 3 are terrible for the economy and massively expensive to carry out.

Can we be more realistic?[/QUOTE]

So if we don't go after the companies that hire illegals and don't after illegals, what's left? And this is not personal, my wife and I are able to acquire competitive positions in DC (not on K street or anything:D) so I feel we'll be ok.

[QUOTE=acepepe;4493224]Naah, I only hire dumb white guys.

I'm hiring, by the way.:D[/QUOTE]

You can't afford me and I'm over qualified.

All League
    [QUOTE=brady's a catcher;4493368]So if we don't go after the companies that hire illegals and don't after illegals, what's left? And this is not personal, my wife and I are able to acquire competitive positions in DC (not on K street or anything:D) so I feel we'll be ok.[/QUOTE]

We can go after illegals and penalize companies that hire them. But that won't make 12 million illegals disappear.

A mass deportation is too expensive and unrealistic. Penalizing every company that hires illegals is not going to have a good impact economically.

We can deport those that aren't contributing to society or having a negative impact on society. We can penalize the companies that are hiring illegals by the droves.

But there are 12 million illegals and we're in a recession/debt crises.

The truth is, some of them will be staying no matter what. So lets give the ones that are productive, and have grown up in our society, a place in our society.

[QUOTE=SafetyBlitz;4493363]#'s 2 and 3 are terrible for the economy and [COLOR="Red"]massively expensive to carry out.[/COLOR]

Can we be more realistic?[/QUOTE]

More Sharing ServicesShare
    Share on facebook_likeEmail
    269 Comments
    Print
    Single Page
    Text Size
    - / +

By DALIA FAHMY
    May 21, 2010

It's all about money.

That's what it seems to come down to in the most recent flare-up of the immigration debate. Policy makers and pundits who want tougher policies against illegal immigrants argue that they cost American taxpayers billions of dollars. Those on the other side of the debate counter that illegal immigrants create demand and jobs that promote economic growth.

So which one is it?

The Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR), a conservative advocacy group that favors tighter immigration laws, argues that the answer is clear: illegal aliens cost U.S. taxpayers more than $100 billion each year.

Jack Martin, director of special projects for FAIR, says the group is still working on its estimate, but believes undocumented workers leave taxpayers with a fat bill, considering that the government spends money on the workers, and they almost never pay income taxes.

"The study of the fiscal effects of illegal immigration clearly demonstrates that it is a burden on the American taxpayer," says Martin. More forceful implementation of immigration laws could save each U.S. household "in the neighborhood of a couple of thousand dollars a year."

Cost estimates usually only measure the fiscal cost, which weighs government spending (such as on public schools, medical care, incarceration and unemployment benefits) against government income (from income, property and sales taxes.) All those interviewed for this story said they can only make rough estimates, since it's almost impossible to gather accurate data about illegal residents.
    Photo: Expensive Aliens: How Much Do Illegal Immigrants Really Cost? Arizona Treasurer says Illegals Cost State Billions of Dollars A Year
    John Moore/Getty Images
    Migrant farm workers from Mexico pick spinach... View Full Caption

Martin argues that more than half of the country's illegal immigrants work in the "underground economy," meaning that they are paid cash under the table, without paying any kind of taxes.

Arizona's Gateway For Illegal Immigrants

States usually bear the brunt of the burden.

Arizona state treasurer Dean Martin says his state loses between $1.3 billion and $2.5 billion each year on illegal immigrants. In addition to the fiscal costs of incarcerating and educating illegal immigrants and their families, Arizona also faces a variety of other indirect costs, says Martin, who favors Arizona's controversial new immigration law.

Arizona has higher car insurance rates, he says, because illegal immigrants who cross the border often steal cars that they use to move further into the country. Undocumented workers are also more likely to perpetrate hit-and-run accidents, he says, because they are afraid of being deported if they are caught. Not only does this add to car insurance rates, but it also stretches police resources, he says.

"Unfortunately we are the gateway for illegal immigration, and that puts a bigger strain on our economy than other states," he says.

Illegal Aliens' Economic Contributions Count Too

Analysts on the other side of the debate, however, disagree with the math behind those numbers.

Wendy Sefsaf, a spokeswoman for the Immigration Policy Center which favors a lenient immigration policy, says that conservative analysts overestimate the costs because undocumented workers don't even qualify for unemployment or medical benefits.

At the same time, those whose jobs are paid legally – at least fifty percent, by some estimates – end up paying social security and other payroll taxes without ever collecting benefits. Since illegal immigrants are believed to constitute up to 5 percent of the U.S. economy, their tax contributions will mean a revenue windfall for legal residents.

|
    Next Page

More from ABC News

Michelle Obama Talks Immigration with 2nd Graders
    Give Your Thoughts on Immigration Reform
    Palin Supports Arizona Law
    Boycott Pushback: Arizona Threatens L.A.

From Around the Web

The Basics of Roth IRA Conversions (E*TRADE Securities)
    “I wish I were wrong” – Economist Laments 2013 Prediction (Moneynews)
    How to Minimize Identity Theft in 1 Simple Step (Women&Co.)
    How does the US economy compare now to 2009? (Bank of America Merrill Lynch)
    Leaders stuck on stupid (Business Without Borders)

[What's This?]
    Related Topics: Arizona Immigration Bill, Public Schools, Immigration Policy, Illegal Immigration, Illegal Aliens, Job Losses, Jobless Claims, Social Security, Economic Growth, Government Spending
    on Twitter, become a fan on Facebook
    Share on emailEmail
    Print
    Share on facebook
    Share on google_plusone
    More Sharing ServicesShare
    Comment & Contribute
    Do you have more information about this topic? If so, please click here to contact the editors of ABC News.
    View All Comments (269)
    joelwisch2
    11:22 AM EDT
    Mar 23, 2012
    Those on the other side of the debate counter that illegal immigrants create demand and jobs that promote economic growth.---------------------------The demand is created by welfare dollars and that should be clear. If they promote economic growth we need an effective ..non.. political report that shows us how that happens. I don't believe it does promote a net economic growth, and does promote a net economic deficit. How many states are now trying to stop the immigration of illegal aliens into their states. Those states have looked at the numbers, and they say no thanks. All the articles in the world don't change that central fact that the States said no because illegal aliens are very, very expensive workers.
    anazunigamaus
    11:06 PM EST
    Jan 19, 2012
    Rudyct, there is nothing wrong with the color of your skin, I am a Hispanic also, an I was not born in this country, but when I came, I did so the legal way and when I become an American, I became an American and nothing but an American. The problem here is that the Hispanic media and the pro illegal immigration advocates, want to make this fight, a fight against immigrants and it is not, it is a fight against illegal immigrants only. The Hispanic media and the pro illegal immigration advocates, counting some of the American media also, like to use the fear in the Hispanic community, specially those with no much education, to use and inflate the numbers to their favor. I listen to Univision and they play the fear card way to often. This fight is simple, if we waited in a real line for a visa to come in the US legally, those who do not want to wait and instead, break our laws to come in any way, do not have my sympathy and I don't want my taxes to pay for their needs here.
    smoshlak
    5:39 PM EDT
    Apr 26, 2011
    In 1980, the cost to go to UCLA FOR ALL RESIDENT STUDENTS was a mere $702/yr., or about $2,200 in 2011 dollars In 2010, the cost is now $12k/ yr., plus other fees. Wendy Sefsaf, the cost for illegal aliens to attend UCLA is ZERO. So Jose Illegal, who makes $65k/yr, can send his five youngsters to UCLA, at ZERO COST AND TAX FREE, while others pay $12k. At $60k, that's like giving Jose a check for $100k. This doesn't include the Medicaid insurance and food stamps that these youngsters are using. Thank you Pelousi, Miller and Lofgren, for allowing the illegal alien population to exceed the productive employee and businesses that used to be able to provide revenue through things like income tax.