Thread: NYJ: Half Full, Part I

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

NYJ: Half Full, Part I

So like most years I'm a little schizophrenic in the off-season. Depending on what I hear or read I could be down or up on the Jets potential for the coming season. I decided to commit some of my thoughts to writing in 2 parts highlighting the positive and negative outlooks. It's mostly an exercise in futility, but it's the off-season when speculation runs ad nauseum. If I miss anything please make note of it in the replies.

I'll begin with the positive and try to make a case for why the Jets will have a great season.

Let's begin with the [B]Jets defense[/B].

Collectively, it's obvious this group will be better at rushing the passer, covering the middle of the field and stopping the run then they've ever been in the Rex Ryan era.

Looking at the defense's ability to pass rush tells me it will be scary good just with the addition of Quinton Coples, who is an athletic freak, playing bookend to Mo Wilkerson, who by all accounts could be a premier defensive end himself. Line them up outside of Sione Pouha and Mike DeVito and they might be able to get to the QB with only a four-man rush. Throw in a bulked up, speedy Aaron Maybin with improved pass-rushing moves, and no QB will have much time to stand upright in the pocket.

Now that's just from the outside. Add from the inside a fast Demario Davis, a svelte, more athletic Bart Scott and a versatile Quinton Coples in the middle and the opponent won't know which way is Sunday with the Jets pass rush and blitzes.

How about covering the middle of the field, particularly the TE, which was the defense's Achilles heel last season? No problem. The team's inside linebackers, Demario Davis and Bart Scott, are more athletic this year than they've been at that postion over the last 3 seasons. Don't be surprised to see more passes defended and more turnovers in the middle of the field.

Moreover, I see no diminishing in the team's rush defense. Sione Pouha, Mike DeVito and David Harris stalwart in the middle and Calvin Pace and a healthy Bryan Thomas sealing the edges. Add to them in run coverage the hard-hitting safeties Yeremiah Bell and LaRon Landry and this defense should lead the league in rushing yards allowed.

Lastly, there's the best CB tandem in the league with Antonio Cromartie and Darelle Revis, who consistently lockdown their receivers. Third year corner Kyle Wilson is also worth mentioning as an up and coming player at his position.

The [B]Jets offense[/B] will be real good too.

Think about it. They will be playing to their strength. Their offensive line. Unlike last year, this year's OL has a clear identity. Run the ball.

Shonn Greene was lukewarm last year averaging 15.8 carries/gm, 4.2 yds/carry with over 1,000 total yds playing behind an inconsistent, lackluster OL. This year he will run the ball behind an OL that will be more consistent and focused on running the ball successfully. Greene could easily be a top 10 RB this season with 18-20 carries/gm and 1,2-1,500 yds for the season.

Add an explosive Joe McKnight to the backfield and Tim Tebow in the Wildcat and the Jets could lead the league in rushing yards.

Mark Sanchez, by his own testimony, is physically and mentally stronger than he's ever been before. He'll be playing in an offense that will give him an opportunity to be successful in the passing game and to make big plays. Play-action passing is a strength of Sanchez and he should reap the benefit of it in this offense.

Sanchez will have at least 6 potent weapons in the passing game, which includes WR Santonio Holmes, WR Stephen Hill, WR Jeremy Kerley, TE Dustin Keller, TE Jeff Cumberland and RB Joe McKnight out of the backfield.

Holmes is a proven #1 veteran receiver with great hands. Hill has over the top speed, great size and speed and already knows how to get release from the line of scrimmage on press coverage as a rookie. Second year Jeremy Kerley is very good in the slot and Dustin Keller is a go-to-target who's a nightmare to cover. Cumberland is recovering successfully from injury and could play a second receiving TE that will cause defenses fits, a la New England. Lastly, Joe McKnight will be a serious option on third down who will be explosive coming out of the backfield.

I'll give [B]Special Teams[/B] a mention as well, which should be top of the league for another season under the direction of special teams guru Mike Westhoff.

All in all I'm looking forward to a great season for the Jets. They're good enough to grab the division from the Patriots for the first time in 10 years and win home field advantage in the playoffs.

NYJ: Half Empty, Part II to follow. :)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very smart choice to start with the positive.

Nice post.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4492637]Very smart choice to start with the positive.

Nice post.[/QUOTE]

I think he'll drop the hammer on Monday.....Hunter, Teb-chez, Revis holdout...Part II will be ugly. Sequels always are.

I'd turn the internet off on Monday if I were you.

:D

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well the Godfather Part II was pretty good.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good Post, nicely done,

but

too many "if's" for me to annoint the Jets as Division Champs with Home Field in the playoffs in June.

If QC plays like he is capeable of
    If Demario Davis is any good
    If Mo Wilk becomes a stud
    If We can cover a TE
    What is Kenrick Ellis?

IF IF IF IF....I haven't even touched the O yet.

Up I-95, they haven't exactly stayed put with their roster that reached yet another SB last season. To me their only "if" is if TB will throw 50 or 150 TD passes in the coming season. Pretty scary.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Friday the 13th Part 2 was also good.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Aliens was not bad.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=rick34125;4492633]
    Looking at the defense's ability to pass rush tells me it will be scary good just with the addition of Quinton Coples, who is an athletic freak, playing bookend to Mo Wilkerson, who by all accounts could be a premier defensive end himself. Line them up outside of Sione Pouha and Mike DeVito and they might be able to get to the QB with only a four-man rush.
    [/QUOTE]

I read your entire post, and enjoyed it Rick. I truly believe that you hit the nail on the head with this paragraph. You also explained Quinton Coples with the correct use of verbiage; an athletic freak of nature.

Wilkerson is only 22 years of age, but yet put up 63 tackles and 3 sacks as a starting rookie DE last season. Can collapse the pocket with raw strength/power and has the ability to develop into a run stuffing end. Was also very solid, as only a rookie, in regards to taking up blocks. Shaun Ellis put up 58 tackles and 5 sacks during his 7th year in the league, which was back in 2006 ala the first year we switched to a 3-4 defense under Mangini. Richard Seymour put up 44 tackles and 3 sacks during his rookie season. Seymour also put up 56 tackles and 5.5 sacks during his 2nd season. Why do I mention Richard Seymour? Because he's listed as being 6'6/310 pounds. Wilkerson is listed as being 6'4/315 pounds. Am I comparing Wilkerson to a future HOF player? No, I'm just pointing out what type of production that an all-time great had during his first two years in this league, because Wilkerson's rookie season was just as solid. He's on the right path. The potential goes through the roof.

Quinton Coples on the other hand? Only time will tell, but this kid seems to be a freak out there. The last time our franchise/front office was this high on two young defensive ends, was during our years under Herm Edwards where we featured both Shaun Ellis and John Abraham as 4-3 DE's. It's been a long time coming, but I can't wait to see two explosive young guns in Wilkerson and now Coples lined up opposite one another. If Coples pans out, our end positions would be set for many of years to come, because we already know Wilkerson is the truth. Before drafting Coples, Rex Ryan went to Cople's draft day and promised the kid, that if he were on the board at 16? The Jets were drafting him. Rex was a man of his word, and as we all know, Rex understands the defensive line maybe better than any coach in the game today. A DE in his own right, he knows what to look for in DE prospects. Kid played under both 3-4 and 4-3 schemes with NC, very versatile end.

Now, if a 6' 4", 346 pound Kenrick Ellis can develop under Pouha as our backup 3-4 NT ala Pouha developing under Jenkins, I truly believe that Tanny and our coaching staff has finally positioned us (through the draft) with the ability to feature a monster defensive front for years to come.

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjVXEpBXvI0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjVXEpBXvI0[/URL]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NY2FLDWC85;4493183]I read your entire post, and enjoyed it Rick. I truly believe that you hit the nail on the head with this paragraph. You also explained Quinton Coples with the correct use of verbiage; an athletic freak of nature.

Wilkerson is only 22 years of age, but yet put up 63 tackles and 3 sacks as a starting rookie DE last season. Can collapse the pocket with raw strength/power and has the ability to develop into a run stuffing end. Was also very solid, as only a rookie, in regards to taking up blocks. Shaun Ellis put up 58 tackles and 5 sacks during his 7th year in the league, which was back in 2006 ala the first year we switched to a 3-4 defense under Mangini. Richard Seymour put up 44 tackles and 3 sacks during his rookie season. Seymour also put up 56 tackles and 5.5 sacks during his 2nd season. Why do I mention Richard Seymour? Because he's listed as being 6'6/310 pounds. Wilkerson is listed as being 6'4/315 pounds. Am I comparing Wilkerson to a future HOF player? No, I'm just pointing out what type of production that an all-time great had during his first two years in this league, because Wilkerson's rookie season was just as solid. He's on the right path. The potential goes through the roof.

Quinton Coples on the other hand? Only time will tell, but this kid seems to be a freak out there. The last time our franchise/front office was this high on two young defensive ends, was during our years under Herm Edwards where we featured both Shaun Ellis and John Abraham as 4-3 DE's. It's been a long time coming, but I can't wait to see two explosive young guns in Wilkerson and now Coples lined up opposite one another. If Coples pans out, our end positions would be set for many of years to come, because we already know Wilkerson is the truth. Before drafting Coples, Rex Ryan went to Cople's draft day and promised the kid, that if he were on the board at 16? The Jets were drafting him. Rex was a man of his word, and as we all know, Rex understands the defensive line maybe better than any coach in the game today. A DE in his own right, he knows what to look for in DE prospects. Kid played under both 3-4 and 4-3 schemes with NC, very versatile end.

Now, if a 6' 4", 346 pound Kenrick Ellis can develop under Pouha as our backup 3-4 NT ala Pouha developing under Jenkins, I truly believe that Tanny and our coaching staff has finally positioned us (through the draft) with the ability to feature a monster defensive front for years to come.

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjVXEpBXvI0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjVXEpBXvI0[/URL][/QUOTE]

Great Post! Hearing Mo speak so highly of Coples has me syked to see him play! We should finally have a very formidable front line.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=hatnlvr;4493572]Great Post! Hearing Mo speak so highly of Coples has me syked to see him play! We should finally have a very formidable front line.[/QUOTE]

I must've missed that one. Do you have an article or link in regards to Wilkerson talking up Coples? I would really enjoy reading what a veteran player such as Bart Scott has to say about our younger defensive ends. He's a veteran at the IMLB position, has always seemed like a no nonsense type of person (wouldn't have to worry about him talking up a player, just for the sake of it) and plays behind these defensive ends ala the one's taking up blocks in order for Scott to plug the holes. Would really enjoy listening to what a veteran such as Scott has to say about Wilkerson/Coples, but Wilkerson's comments on Coples would be a nice change of pace.
    Last edited by NY2FLDWC85; 06-16-2012 at 10:49 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    1/2 full? I think your cup runeth over.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=patman;4493608]1/2 full? I think your cup runeth over.[/QUOTE]

You think?